#1 AndyGI

AndyGI

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:32 AM

Hi Folks

Just to give a bit of background, I returned to Warhammer during 7th edition (after the 2008 power creep books) with a group of friends and opted for Dwarfs as my first army, then I ended up with a Warriors of Chaos Army and started playing in tournaments with that, with the move to 8th edition I played a lot with Daemons and now after Andy Spiers recent podiums I have been inspired to go back to my Dwarfs.

2400pts - First Events

Dwarf Lord - Shieldbearers, Great Weapon, Rune of Stone, Rune of Resistance, Master Rune of Spite, Rune of the Furnace, Rune of Preservation - 27x pts

Rune Lord - 2x Spell Eater Rune - 20x pts

Thane - Battle Standard, Master Rune of Gromril, Rune of Fire, Rune of the Furnace, Rune of Resistance, Rune of Preservation - 16x pts

Master Engineer - Brace of Pistols - 8x pts

38 Dwarf Warriors, Hand Weapon, Shield, Full Command - 36x pts

24 Longbeards, Great Weapon, Shield, Full Command - 36x pts

24 Hammerers, Standard, Musician, Master Rune of Grungi - 38x pts

Bolt Thrower, Rune of Burning - 5x pts
Bolt Thrower - 4x pts

Grudge Thrower, Rune of Accuracy, Rune of Burning - 11xpts
Cannon - Rune of Forging - 11x pts

Gyrocopter - 14x pts
Organ Gun - 12x pts

(Last digits left off the points for copyright reasons)

I'm playing in a SCGT comp event this weekend, 3 games, i've played a couple of club games against new VC, Skaven and Daemons, and though i'm on 1 win and 3 losses, i've only so far had one 0-20 tabling, so i'm pretty happy with that.

Hopefully I can document this weekends games and then look at improving the list.

Comments appreciated, though bear in mind I am based in the UK, so usually units are restricted to 40 models / 400 - 450pts.

#2 Grix

Grix

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:15 PM

Good luck, and I look forward to reading your Dawi reports.

#3 the bearded one

the bearded one

The Spammer King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:02 PM

Well, you asked for comments eh? :)

Dwarf Lord - Shieldbearers, Great Weapon, Rune of Stone, Rune of Resistance, Master Rune of Spite, Rune of the Furnace, Rune of Preservation - 27x pts

Looks nice. Taking a tooled dwarf lord might not be the most optimal choice available (but in my opinion neither is the anvil of doom), but certainly not bad. I've used one myself alot too. A dwarf lord is mostly a personal choice but can be used quite solidly. Ah, I fondly remember a 7th edition game where a high elf star dragon ate every champion and character in my army (warrior, champion and longbeard champion, a thane, runesmith and BSB) and then finally fought my dwarflord.. and he was stopped dead in his tracks and didn't cause a single wound in several rounds of combat.

Spelleaters are fun, though I think you could use the points a bit more effectively here. Don't you mean 2x0 points instead of 20x points though, as a runelord with 2 spelleaters costs more than 200'ish. For the same points as 2 spelleaters you could get 2 spellbreakers and the master rune of balance, which is a great tool to not only increase your own dispel capability (by adding a dispel dice to your side), but to also decrease your opponent's ability to cast by taking a dice from him. This can make it harder for your opponent to for example try bombing an irresistible force through.

Bolt Thrower - 4x pts

Gyrocopter - 14x pts
Organ Gun - 12x pts

Bolt throwers have fallen a bit out of favour. More power to you for using one though, but I think if you were to drop one you could use the remaining points to increase the efficiency of your grudge thrower and cannon. If you were to drop it you could add a rune of penetrating to the grudge thrower, making it dramatically more efficient. The cannon could add a rune of burning, making it easier to pop those annoying varghulfs, hydra's, HPAs and mortis engines. With the remaining points you could perhaps add something like a rune of stone and a shield to the runelord.

Hope that helps you smite the opponents of dwarvenkind. Good luck in tournaments!

#4 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:25 PM

Also, no Great Weapons on the Warriors? I'm assuming this is as your painted minis are all HW&S or for fluff reasons? (They do look better with shields). You'll be more effective as and when you paint up some great weapon warriors, they become more than a road block then :)

#5 AndyGI

AndyGI

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:42 PM

Thanks for the comments.

Looks nice. Taking a tooled dwarf lord might not be the most optimal choice available (but in my opinion neither is the anvil of doom), but certainly not bad. I've used one myself alot too. A dwarf lord is mostly a personal choice but can be used quite solidly. Ah, I fondly remember a 7th edition game where a high elf star dragon ate every champion and character in my army (warrior, champion and longbeard champion, a thane, runesmith and BSB) and then finally fought my dwarflord.. and he was stopped dead in his tracks and didn't cause a single wound in several rounds of combat.

Its a fairly standard tank build, will see how the games go, early practice games he's not died, so he keeps 400vps with some reliability. I think he suffers from a lack of magical attacks, but if any opponent is silly enough to send forward a choppy character, i'm quite confident my lord can tank him.

Spelleaters are fun, though I think you could use the points a bit more effectively here. Don't you mean 2x0 points instead of 20x points though, as a runelord with 2 spelleaters costs more than 200'ish. For the same points as 2 spelleaters you could get 2 spellbreakers and the master rune of balance, which is a great tool to not only increase your own dispel capability (by adding a dispel dice to your side), but to also decrease your opponent's ability to cast by taking a dice from him. This can make it harder for your opponent to for example try bombing an irresistible force through.

I think you might be right, turns out i'm about 50pts off. :D I guess that puts paid to the bolt throwers. I like the double spell eater as I found in earlier games with Balance and double scroll I was stopping the early phases of the game but later on the augments and hexes were resulting in me losing combats. Using this build, I have chances and opportunities to destory spells for the rest of the game, which means later on, my opponent has fewer and fewer choices of spells to cast (which means I can throw more dice at dispelling them anyway)

Its not the easiest way to defend in a magic phase, but so far, its worked well enough for me. Aside from one particular game where my opponent was running double grey seer, I destroyed one 13th, but not the second. :D

Bolt Thrower - 4x pts

Gyrocopter - 14x pts
Organ Gun - 12x pts

Bolt throwers have fallen a bit out of favour. More power to you for using one though, but I think if you were to drop one you could use the remaining points to increase the efficiency of your grudge thrower and cannon. If you were to drop it you could add a rune of penetrating to the grudge thrower, making it dramatically more efficient. The cannon could add a rune of burning, making it easier to pop those annoying varghulfs, hydra's, HPAs and mortis engines. With the remaining points you could perhaps add something like a rune of stone and a shield to the runelord.

Hope that helps you smite the opponents of dwarvenkind. Good luck in tournaments!

The idea behind the BTs was to clean up anything that may have been crippled but not killed by my GT, leaving the cannon free to snipe another target.

Example: GT hits Abomb, does 4 or 5 wounds say, then I have two chances to hit with the BT to take it down, if they fail I have to use the cannon, but other wise, happy days.

I think at least one might have to be dropped now though.

Edited by AndyGI, 29 February 2012 - 03:55 PM.

#6 AndyGI

AndyGI

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

Also, no Great Weapons on the Warriors? I'm assuming this is as your painted minis are all HW&S or for fluff reasons? (They do look better with shields). You'll be more effective as and when you paint up some great weapon warriors, they become more than a road block then :)

I'm trying the horde of HW/Shield warriors, as I find GW warriors die in droves, and again, this creates problems in the later game. The additional armour / parry helps against S3/S4 stuff which (I find) is the bane of GW warriors.

#7 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

Fair enough :) Die in droves against what, if I may be so bold? How do you use them, as pure speed bumps? They won't be all that hitty despite the horde formation...

I'd suggest you've invested more points than you need to in Heroes if you want a competitive force in 8th. How you want to play is up to you, of course, but your opening gambit about tournies and podiums makes me think you have a desire to be competitive?

I'd ditch the Lord and ME and reinvest those points in bigger units. I'd also ditch both bolt throwers in favour of one of the other WMs (depending on what you're up against).

#8 the bearded one

the bearded one

The Spammer King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:34 PM

I generally use them the other way around; a horde of warriors with great weapons, and a block of 25-30 of longbeards with shields. That way the anvil unit, the longbeards, has a decent strength as well. str3 is so poor :D

#9 David L

David L

White Dwarf

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:23 PM

I'm trying the horde of HW/Shield warriors

Horde? What? NOO!!!! Horde has no benefit to hand-weapon-and-shield warriors. Adding 10 strength 3 attacks is an awful exchange for losing Steadfast much quicker. I assumed that unit was meant to be 5 wide to keep Steadfast for a very long time. I don't see how they are anything but a weak spot if deployed in horde.

#10 AndyGI

AndyGI

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

Hi Folks.

Yeah, that plan didn't work. ;)

I lost all 3 games against Warriors, Daemons and Ogres, none of my 3 combat blocks could stand up to anything that they were sent in to.

I was doing probably the best game 3, against Ogres, having removed two Mournfangs with the bolt thrower on the way in, the remaining two charged into my longbeard unit, and despite being steadfast on a 9, they broke and were run down.

My next few tourneys sadly i'm going to run back with my daemons again. Thanks for the feedback and interest.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dwarf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users