9 replies to this topic

#1 Zwerg Tungsten

Zwerg Tungsten

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:05 PM

Dear all,

I have been thinking about doing an ambush list for my dwarfs. I usually play a artillery heavy list with two blocks of great weapon dwarfs. My latest escapades can be found here.

The guys I play with have come to expect this type of set-up. There is a small tournament coming up so I though I would surprise them (and myself?).

I am not necessarily after a list that will automatically win the tournament, but as long as I'm not last I'm happy; in particular if it is extra fun.

Inspired by the examples of "The Dwarf Ambush Army", "2500 Ambush List" and "The Army Of Zero Deployments"" and discussions going on in "2000 Pt Mining Theme", "2400 Comped Bugman Ambush List" and "Borrowed Idea" I have come up with a cool list :)

So without further ado here is my suggestion so far:

Josef Bugman @155pts

Thane @164 pts
GW, BSB, Rune of Brotherhood, Master run of Challenge, Master run of Gromli

Runelord and Anvil of Doom @398 pts
Shield, Rune of Stone, Rune of Shielding, Rune of Resistance, Rune of Spellbreaking

39 LB warriors rangers @610 pts (Bugman's)
FC, GW, Throwing axes

39 Quarrellers rangers @571 pts (Thane goes here)
FC, GW

20 Miners @270 pts
FC, steamdrill

20 Miners @270 pts
FC, steamdrill

Core: 47 %; Special: 22 %; Rare: 0 %; Lords: 16 %; Heroes: 13 %; in total: 2438 pts

Problems I know of:
  • AOD has no protection besides itself. I think it is a risk I'm willing to take;
  • Only Josef Bugman can hurt ethereals. I am pretty sure that there will be Vampires;
  • Throwing axes might be bad for Bugman's?
  • I have 62 points left.
My tactics would be to deploy the AoD in a corner, preferably behind something. Deploy the two ranger units somewhat together so that the Thane can use his Master rune of Challenge and Bugman could get a flank charge in. Miners would arrive where needed. For the entertainment value I would prefer to only drop the AoD in the deployment phase; actually I would prefer zero drop, but that would leave my miners stranded.

So, any bright ideas. I am fresh out.

Edited by Zwerg Tungsten, 01 May 2012 - 08:39 AM.

#2 Nighteyes

Nighteyes

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:16 PM

The only problem is that sadly bugmans rangers don't count towards your core, so it means your under core, spend your extra 62 points on core and you'll be sweet

#3 Zwerg Tungsten

Zwerg Tungsten

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:09 AM

Ah, always good to ask these questions here. Thank you. I'll get my core up to 25 %.

#4 Dwarven Archivist

Dwarven Archivist

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

The only problem is that sadly bugmans rangers don't count towards your core, so it means your under core, spend your extra 62 points on core and you'll be sweet

I haven't seen this listed anywhere in our book. Could you please give a source or explain further? Haven't seen anyone mention this on any of the LB Ranger threads (particularly those re: the ability to use 3 units of them).

#5 Vanyon Ulrikson

Vanyon Ulrikson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:09 PM

Under Bugmans entry, it states that Bugmans Rangers do not count towards the minimum number of Core Troop choices. This is obviously a referance to 7th edition that did not get erratad. This leads to the question, did GW not faq it because they thought it was obvious they meant that Bugmans Rangers do not count towards the 25% minimum, or did they not faq it because like so many other things, they just overlooked it? I would go with the first and wait for our new army book and hope they get it right.

#6 Shortie

Shortie

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:59 PM

Remeber that our BSB cant take a GW, so right now hes illegal. look at page 51 on right side, tex about BSB and the rules. Give your BSB RoBurning, with this you improve point nr 2.

Not sure if the qurrallers are worth the points, might be beter to run GW warrior and with the extra points you gain to buy a Cannon or a GT, or just get more bodys.

#7 Ok Okri

Ok Okri

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

I agree with Shortie. I think you'd be better off dropping the quarreller rangers for warrior (or LB) rangers. With this list you want to be shoving your two big blocks into the enemy's face, not sitting back with one and shooting. I'd drop throwing axes too. With the remaining points I'd either add bodies to the miners, or squeeze in a cannon for those big juicy targets. You also have the anvil (& combat res) to use against ethereals.

(nice references btw ;) )

#8 juja

juja

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

I made a ambush list very funcional, but it need some good deployment to work properly. All turns around a RL with AoD, a little unit about 25 IB with a standard banner flanked by two units of 10 Qua. using GW (no CG) and a unit of 25 Warr. with Shields to tarpit something who quikly come to you. I use some warmachines to take care of monsters and turn this bate a little more tempting. 

To set the ambush i use a unit of LBR and a unit of Miners. The numbers of each unit depend on your needs to surpreend or scare. I'm using now about to 25 LBR and 40 Miners (the surpreend tactica) but it could be changed based on what kind of game you will play...

A very carefull use of rune of Oath and honour (i almost never use ancient power) make the unit of your choice to move around quickly and charge your foe from the back (miners) or flank (LBR).

I hope my contribution could help you on your list. Good luck!

Edited by juja, 19 February 2013 - 02:11 PM.

#9 Griegsson

Griegsson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

Bugmans rangers do count towards core.  I think you may have an older edition of the dwarf book.  I think there was a minor change to the wording in the latest printing.  Double check the text.

I'd drop either the throwing axes or the crossbows and bulk up the ranger units as much as you can.  They are going to need bodies to survive. Be careful about getting combo-charged.  Even longbeard rangers can go down to combo-charges from weak units.  The two ranger untis need to guard each others' falnks and support each other until the miners can get stuck in.

#10 Ok Okri

Ok Okri

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

Guys - I was late last time around, but you are VERY late. Thread is a year old!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ambush, bugman, rangers, anvil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users