5 replies to this topic

#1 GimbleBeren

GimbleBeren

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:02 PM

Hello fellow dawi,

I am a new Dwarf player and was looking at the Gyrocopter. It acts as a warmachine to hit it, and wounds, and acts as a flying monster for everything else (as stated in the dwarf codex). Unfortunately there is no flying monster in the 8th ed. rules, but I figure it moves as a lone character.

I can't find any rules on shooting though.

1. Does it have to be in cc to shoot?

2. Can it shoot at a unit that is in cc?

Thank you all very much.

Gimble

#2 Vanyon Ulrikson

Vanyon Ulrikson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:13 PM

To answer your question I have perused the ancient pages of the BRB and Dawi army book and come up with the following.

The steam gun is used in the shooting phase. It is not classified as a breath weapon nor does it have any special rules allowing it to shoot while in close combat. As a shooting attack, the BRB prohibits a unit making shooting attacks if it is in close combat.

The rules for choosing a target state that a unit must choose an unengaged enemy unit that is at least partialy in its forward arc. That precludes shooting at a unit that is in close combat.

A flying monster in 8th would simply be a monster with the fly special rule. Note however that our faq states that even though we are partially like a flying monster we do not get a thunderstomp attack, nor can they be used as character mounts. We also have a M of 1 now so can move even if we cannot fly (even if only a little bit). This is important for fleeing purposes.

Hope this helps

Vanyon

#3 Gotrong Gudmundsson

Gotrong Gudmundsson

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:22 PM

What's even more important to remember is that for reasons that are retarded, the Gyrocopter template STILL has to use partials even though nothing else in the Warhammer 8th edition world has to that uses templates. This is because it says so in the armybook, and I guess GW didn't feel like changing it so the Gyro would turn into a fantastic unit.

Also, it cannot March and Shoot since you technically need to be Fast Cavalry for that, so you can only move 10 and fire, or move 20 but not fire.

#4 GimbleBeren

GimbleBeren

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:34 AM

Thanks for the quick responses, I recently got a metal model and I love it and would like to use it in battle, but I want to make sure I know how it works.

So once the enemy gets into cc with the gyrocopter it can't fire anymore?

Thank you,
Gimble

#5 Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Kro'undi

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,804 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:09 AM

Correct, whilst in combat it can't shoot. Think of it like a flying warmachine that can move (not march) and shoot.

#6 wizardofmoz

wizardofmoz

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:28 AM

What's even more important to remember is that for reasons that are retarded, the Gyrocopter template STILL has to use partials even though nothing else in the Warhammer 8th edition world has to that uses templates. This is because it says so in the armybook, and I guess GW didn't feel like changing it so the Gyro would turn into a fantastic unit.

Also, it cannot March and Shoot since you technically need to be Fast Cavalry for that, so you can only move 10 and fire, or move 20 but not fire.

True to the partials, but the fact that you have something similar to a breath weapon that can be used more than once, outweighs the partials imo.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gyrocoopter, Shooting, rules, gyrocopter, shooting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users