180 replies to this topic

#81 Hod Flagonpounder

Hod Flagonpounder

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:09 PM

The newest edition to my unit of Thunderers and entry to this months painting competition. I tried to but more detail in this little guy than I had on any other member of my throng. Got one of those 0.03 Coptic Pens and wanted to give it a try.

Big Old Gun Dang! You Like?

Hod_BBPaintContest_7_2012.jpg

Edited by Hod Flagonpounder, 10 July 2014 - 02:59 AM.

#82 Goldo

Goldo

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:11 PM

He looks lovely!
What I never understood though was; Why give a buckler to a missile troop?
It can't protect them from arrows and a wise general would keep them away from combat.

#83 rednorseman

rednorseman

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:43 PM

He really looks terrific!
cheers

#84 Hod Flagonpounder

Hod Flagonpounder

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:11 PM

What I never understood though was; Why give a buckler to a missile troop?
It can't protect them from arrows and a wise general would keep them away from combat.

He's an addition to an existing unit and when I first planned the unit I thought I remember seeing in the Thunderers thread that most people took then with great weapons. I am no general yet though so I am no authority and can't you just say they don't have them if you don't want to take them. That seems easier them saying they have then when they don't.

#85 Oridur

Oridur

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:39 AM

Such amaizing color and detail! I am humbled once again. I may never by that camera now.

#86 Hod Flagonpounder

Hod Flagonpounder

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:40 AM

Definitely buy the camera, a good camera is one of the major secrets to good looking pictures of minis. That and natural light.

#87 Oridur

Oridur

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:04 AM

True enough, though it is stil like a child showing his work to Rembrandt.

#88 Hod Flagonpounder

Hod Flagonpounder

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:04 AM

Join the competitions, I was much worse before I started entering them. Even painting one mini a month to a high standard will improve your skills greatly.

#89 Jaeckel

Jaeckel

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:42 AM

Nice conversion and very clean paintjob (although I'm not totally convinced by the NMM on the axe)

#90 Hod Flagonpounder

Hod Flagonpounder

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:49 AM

Nice conversion and very clean paintjob (although I'm not totally convinced by the NMM on the axe)

I'm not either, still new to the NMM and silver is hard. Got to find the right balance of grey in your middle tones or it starts looking like some obsidian monstrosity. Maybe in a few years and a lot of hours with that brush in my hand, I can get close to your mastery of the technique. And thanks for the nice comments.

#91 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:47 AM

Do you use a point of reference when you paint NMM? I know you work in the creative industries, but do you still use any of the lessons from back at college when it comes to image production? Always better to draw what you see than what you think you see ;)

It takes me so long to paint a mini, I don't even attempt NMM, so I always feel a bit of a fraud when talking about it (I have a touch of OCD, NMM would kill me!), but I used to be able to pull off convinving metallics when I illustrated many years ago (pencils and markers rather than paints, but the principles are the same).

I'd do a bit of Google image searching and have an NMM scrap book of sorts to use as reference material. Silver is all about m"I swear too much"ive extremes, white next to black.

The top arc of the axe is looking pretty good (the darker grey), but then the fade into the middle and beyond lets it down, at least in terms of giving the impression of metal. In shadow, metals tend to be dark and flat, or at least a very minor gradation. The illusion of form comes from the planes perpendicular to the flat plane. The gun barrel works far better as the extremes of light dark create a better illusion of form.

Perhaps the below will explain what I can't! ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

EDIT: Lol, after all my lecturing, I forgot to say how much I liked the mini! Bravo!

Edited by Alebelly_Cragfist, 16 July 2012 - 08:51 AM.

#92 Hod Flagonpounder

Hod Flagonpounder

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:26 PM

You know what, I didn't use a point of reference and when I do, it always turns out better. Probably would have been a good idea for this axe since it has such a large surface area. I'll have to find an image that really fits what I am looking for in my silver. Not that your didn't post some good examples Alebelly, but I usually like to refer to other painted minis for reference.

#93 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

I have all sorts of filters at work stopping me abusing the tinterwebs, and "Weapon" is a banned word, so I couldn't find much. Not offended at all that the above wasn't really what you'd want to use ;)

#94 Hod Flagonpounder

Hod Flagonpounder

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:37 PM

Filters on your work computer... I blamed the Elves!

#95 Oridur

Oridur

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:28 AM

To enter the competitions, I need the camera, thus we come full circle. (And I do paint a lot)

#96 Wendersnaven

Wendersnaven

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:32 AM

NMM painting is not easy for sure. I'm still trying to remember where the darker part of a flame is, but good call on looking at real life examples.

Great woodwork also- or should I say, as usual Hod. Just looking at your models is helping me learn.

Oridur, I'd reccommend saving up about $100 for early or after-Christmas specials some where and you can get yerself a digital camera. It would be good to get digital pictures of them too so you can always remember them (... and the insurance can cover them). Just remember you want something about ten megapixels or more and a generic memory card and good luck.

#97 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:39 AM

Youn don't need to spend a fortune on a camera. My images are admitedly not pro quality, but they're either taken on my Samsung phone (WIP shots) or a £50 Canon with macro lense for the finished shots. A "macro" function and a daylight bulb will do for starters. :)

Edited by Alebelly_Cragfist, 17 July 2012 - 08:39 AM.

#98 Hod Flagonpounder

Hod Flagonpounder

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:52 PM

Newest addition to the throng of Karag Dum, a Runesmith. Rugrin Runegrumble, Runesmith of Karag Dum (as named by Thunderforge's name generator). I painted it for a competition over on LO, the Leadership one in particular if anyone frequents that site and wants to vote.

My first attempt at making runes glow. I'm fairly happy with how it turned out.

Hod_Runesmith_7_29_2102.jpg

Edit: I also did this runesmith because it was one of the things that was suggested to me to paint on the thread I starts "Advice on What I Need Next."

Now back to Querrellers for thee unit competition!

Edited by Hod Flagonpounder, 10 July 2014 - 03:00 AM.

#99 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:19 PM

Nice.

#100 Darkblade

Darkblade

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

If I not mistaken that's the old anvil runesmith?

Lovely work, not sure about purple gloves and boots but it does go together nicely. Good cloak (inside and out) too you've given it a great sense of movement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users