180 replies to this topic

#1 Hod Flagonpounder

Hod Flagonpounder

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:04 AM

I’ve been an active viewer of these forums for a bit now and I thought it was about time I contribute.

I’ve been working on a throng from Karag Dum for a bit now and I thought it would be a good time to post some pictures. I actually hadn’t finalized any of the dwarfs I’ve been working on so far, so this post gave me the motivation to do the final steps on a couple of them. My final steps include a final wash, highlight and base.

In my Karag Dum lore, it is a keep divided. With the current King, Thangrim Firebeard’s clan taking the thone from the previous King’s clan in some ancient past. Some clans still show their support of the previous king by keeping his colors (Red and Sky Blue with Bretonnian inspired head-gear) as part of their clan colors while the rest of the clans have adopted the Firebeard Clan’s colors (Purple and Blue with Empire inspired head-gear). I did this because I didn’t want to stick to just one color theme for the entire throng and the Empire and Bretonnian head-gear because I can’t help but mod anything and everything.

Since Karag Dum is in the north of the World Edge mountains, close to the Chaos Wastes, I decided to base them with a dark purple stone to show that they live in a land that is not untouched by the changing power of chaos.

These first four Dwarfs are part of my general warrior unit. The unit will have Shields, Hand Axes and Spears. I know there are no rules for spears currently and that no dwarf would ever be caught in battle with just a spear so I made sure to add axes. I’m thinking that this might be the only unit that has dwarfs representing both color themes in it.

I hope you enjoy as much as I’ve enjoyed looking at all of your throngs.

-Hod Flagonpounder

Hod_KaragDumWarriors_1_28_12_small.jpg

Edited by Hod Flagonpounder, 17 November 2014 - 05:45 PM.

#2 Skull Krusher

Skull Krusher

Skazastoki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,530 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:05 AM

Welcome to the brewery!!! Have a tankard of ale on my tab. Great looking figures!!! I can not wait to see the rest of your army...

#3 Oridur

Oridur

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:11 AM

Wow, some increadable detail! Especially on the horse head & eagle on the helmets!

#4 Monk

Monk

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:04 AM

My Runelord had a grumble to me when he saw these photos. Your dark colour scheme & division amongst the Throng. He smells the taint of chaos in your midst. Look out my friend, he is gathering a delegation to come and pay you a visit!!!

Seriously though, I like your fluff and its great to have that bit of darkness to seperate you from the other throngs.

Cheers.

#5 Anvilborn

Anvilborn

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:20 AM

they look great, very nice conversion work with the helmets! :yes:

#6 dazza36

dazza36

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:56 AM

That is some lovely work, love the use of the Bret headgear very clever. If i could just make one criticism it would be with the bases, its a nice idea your going for but i feel purple is just the wrong choice, what with it being a main colour for your throng. I would suggest more of a contrast colour so with your purple/red maybe green???

Keep up the work would love to see what a whole unit would look like. :yes: :yes: :yes:

#7 Squergi

Squergi

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:17 AM

That's really cool! I like the idea of your divided throng/styles, and it's very good that you have blue to link them together. They look lovely, well done! Oh and I must agree with dazza, you shouldn't have bases with the same colour as the models :)

:hi:

Edited by Squergi, 29 January 2012 - 08:18 AM.

#8 Hod Flagonpounder

Hod Flagonpounder

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:18 PM

Thanks for comments. I completely agree with you guys on the bases as well, I needed a completely contrasting color. It was my first basing and didn't turn out how I had hoped so I was completely a go to change it.

I decided to make the change to a green, a color dazza suggested and a color I hadn't used. This actually made more sense once I thought about it as well because Warp Stone is green and that is in a way what I was trying to imply.

Hope you like the base job. I know it’s minimal but that’s what I was going for.

Hod_KaragDumWarriors_1_29_12.jpg

Edited by Hod Flagonpounder, 10 July 2014 - 02:44 AM.

#9 Grumpy Runelord

Grumpy Runelord

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:48 PM

I love those hats! I would've called them helmets but the dwarfs looks so gay, so hats it is :-)
Lovely still!

#10 dazza36

dazza36

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:38 PM

much better. now just get a whole unit painted up !!!

#11 g0trrI

g0trrI

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:01 PM

Nice work! Can't wait to see a whole unit painted:D Keep up the good work!!

#12 simonwkb

simonwkb

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:00 PM

Really nice and original fluff and modelling ideas. Great paintjob aswell=) Would be nice to see the helmets incorporated into the fluff in some way.

#13 Squergi

Squergi

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:45 AM

Yup the bases look much nicer. I'm kind of scared for the dwarfs walking around surfaced warp stone so much though :P

:hi:

#14 Dourin

Dourin

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts
Contributor

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:28 PM

An excellent introduction, welcome to the brewery.

You've done something quite amazing, which is to paint those marauderstyle models that I've always seen with bright paintjobs in a more dark way. It really suits them, good job!

#15 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:59 PM

Great stuff and you'll find yourself amongst friends here with your model selection. Even though the purist in me nags "why have you changed the originals?!" they do look cool :)

40 bases like that together are going to look a bit monotomous and a tad dull I think. I'd break them up with some foliage and larger chunks of "warp altered" stones - it'll add a greater level of "realism" to the bases and add depth and interest :)

I agree that it would add to the fluff if you could incorporate the style and magnificence of the helmets as it's such a distinctive feature of your lads. I'll be looking forward to seeing what you do to make the elites look even more elite than these! ;)

Oh and EDIT - your purple/blue (or claret and blue) is a pefect colour scheme for your Hammerers! ;) (for any Hammers fans in the UK).

Edited by Alebelly_Cragfist, 30 January 2012 - 01:00 PM.

#16 Townezdragon

Townezdragon

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:06 AM

I usually don't like old style dwarves like that, but these are really the best ones I've ever seen, and I could even imagine buying these and trying to paint them myself.

I also really like the bases.

#17 Rinn Zylra

Rinn Zylra

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

I really like what you have done with these figures. Like everyone has said great work!!!

#18 Hod Flagonpounder

Hod Flagonpounder

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:31 PM

So I finished my first 10 man regiment of Dawi Warriors (Hand weapons, shields and spears if they ever get put back in the rules).

Hod_KaragDumWarriors_2_21_12.jpg

Here is my Bolt Thrower crew that I did for the Monthly Painting Contest. I still need to finish the actual bolt thrower… details, details.

Hod_BBPaintContest_BT_Crew_2_20_12.jpg

I think next up is finishing off the Thunderer Rangers unit I’ve been working on. It’s a unit of 12 and I have 10 already painted to a base level. So hopefully it’ll be up soon.

Edited by Hod Flagonpounder, 10 July 2014 - 02:48 AM.

#19 Hod Flagonpounder

Hod Flagonpounder

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:13 PM

Here are the first six of my Clan Firebeard Thunderer Rangers (GW + S). I decided to go with the Empire feather for this whole regiment to show the clan's imerial past. I am not going to be sad when I don't have to paint another one of those feathers again. I don't know if it's just me but those things are hard to make look good.

It's always nice to be painting these mid 90's metal dwarfs. Really the best in my opinion.

Hod_KaragDumThunderers_2_29_12.jpg

Let me know what you think?

Edited by Hod Flagonpounder, 10 July 2014 - 02:48 AM.

#20 totzro

totzro

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:31 PM

The hats on that bolt thrower crew are great!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users