82 replies to this topic

#61 whatawittyname

whatawittyname

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:43 AM

RE wintery bases - use small pieces of cork to make rocks, undercoat the bases black and drybrush them to get the finish you want. Then either buy some "snow" flock, or mix baking soda, water and pva glue to make your own snow.n Apply the snow wherever you want it (usually avoiding any area you would expect to be shielded from weather).

Then, if you make your own movement trays, get a couple of of evergreen trees from a model shop and apply snow to them across their branches and attach those to the rear corners of the tray - if you really want them to look like they're in the middle of a winter environment.

#62 Skinny

Skinny

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:57 AM

So I've finished three so far, here's what I've got.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#63 cros13

cros13

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:16 AM

i think that looks pretty convincing, the only thing i could suggest is to paint the bases some color, it seems you left them black underneath the snow, and it is showing though it. Id suggest either go brown to match the "dirt" like you have on the edges of the base, or perhaps green, to represent the grass, and then the snow falls on top of it, or paint the tops white, to represent heavy snow fall where no dirt or grass is visible underneath?

Rudolf.

#64 Skinny

Skinny

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:52 AM

I drybrushed the tops of the bases gray and then drybrushed white but it didn't turn out like I wanted. Maybe I will try the brown next.

#65 Skinny

Skinny

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:37 AM

A small update, no pics though. Picked up a batch of 11 more Ironbreakers, 5 metal Thunderers, & a metal Dwarf Lord all for $25. I have not painted since maybe July because of college, but in July I did manage to polish off the first rank of that Thunderer line & 1 or 2 on the next rank. I had them all based with snow & what not when my 3.5 year old little boy decided they needed a bath in my water pot.... :(

#66 Squergi

Squergi

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:12 AM

Those are nice thunderers! I personally like the bases. I've got to say though that the gun metallics really lack depth and it's kinda looking a bit shoddy. I think a few washes / highlights would do them real good :)

:hi:

#67 Oridur

Oridur

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:07 AM

The thunderer on the end w/the brass barrel, is it a sctratch built barrel? They came out great!

#68 Skinny

Skinny

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:54 AM

Those are nice thunderers! I personally like the bases. I've got to say though that the gun metallics really lack depth and it's kinda looking a bit shoddy. I think a few washes / highlights would do them real good :)

What else do you think I could do to bring out the highlights? I think I already did a black ink wash followed by highlights, but I'm not sure since it's been so long since I painted them.

#69 Skinny

Skinny

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:57 AM

The thunderer on the end w/the brass barrel, is it a sctratch built barrel? They came out great!

The one you are referring to is merely a stock handgun with the end cut off. Through the different color combos & little add-ons or deletions here & there I wanted to make no two guns alike. Glad you like it.

#70 Skinny

Skinny

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:39 AM

Now I'm motivated to update.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#71 Skinny

Skinny

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:41 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#72 Skinny

Skinny

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:43 AM

Converted all my HwS Warriors to two handers.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Skinny, 14 October 2012 - 06:45 AM.

#73 Skinny

Skinny

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:46 AM

WIP Banners (I just noticed I cut off the top of the second banner in the pictures. There is an anvil at the top.)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Skinny, 14 October 2012 - 06:47 AM.

#74 Hosvard

Hosvard

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:26 PM

like the details on the gems, I never manage to paint them, I just paited mine with metal color, so nice work!

#75 Hosvard

Hosvard

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

btw love the 'sniper'

#76 Squergi

Squergi

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:15 AM

What else do you think I could do to bring out the highlights? I think I already did a black ink wash followed by highlights, but I'm not sure since it's been so long since I painted them.

Right. How about the bronze on the gun? Did you ink/high light that?

Oh and very cool new updates! I really love your original guns. Very nice banners too. Well done :clapping:

#77 Oridur

Oridur

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:36 AM

Wow!!! Being a shooter myself, I love what you did with the thunderers! The 50BMG is incredable! I like the grittyness you give your mini's too! You have given me ideas!

#78 Oridur

Oridur

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:38 AM

Shoot, forgot to mention, get some pastel chaulks, grey, white and black! Use these around the gun barrels and locks to give a powder residue look, it's what I do.

#79 Skinny

Skinny

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:06 AM

Just had a sudden idea for my anvil. I was thinking of sculpting one out of green floral foam to somehow resemble a wolf. I've been trying to draw it out but it's rather difficult to take a fuzzy creature & craft it out of rock (foam) in the general shape on an anvil lol. Any input?

Edited by Skinny, 02 March 2013 - 12:07 AM.

#80 Thunderforge

Thunderforge

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

Green floral foam wouldn't be my first choice for making it out of, but I like the sound of a wolf shaped anvil.

I've been thinking of using Lego to make my anvil, then wrap it in greenstuff decorations. Perhaps if you make a lego cube and attached a plastic wolf's head? So it looks like carved/forged from metal, having the wolf's head instead of the horn.

:D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: throng, ironbreakers, unit filler, blue, conversion, dwarf, army, steam golem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users