82 replies to this topic

#41 Skinny

Skinny

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

Nice work on these minis! the unit champion and those IB shields are my favorite.

Thank you ralstonite!

#42 Skinny

Skinny

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:31 PM

Yes either a granite or marble effect or maybe a golden yellow like sandstone

Or even polished Black marble maybe awesome

Hope that helps

I like those ideas but I guess I will try them on the next one, I'm sure I will get one or two more eventually. OR repaint this one later...I'm just in a hurry trying to get it done for the contest this month. So I went ahead and started with the blue, silver, and copper colors. Here's what we have so far...

*you may notice that there are a few more added bits, I'm sure I'll add more along the way.

Posted Image

#43 Skinny

Skinny

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:22 AM

Here are some more progress pictures. It needs some touch up after applying the highlights and what not, but I still have about 10 days til I need to submit the final for the paint contest. Since this is my first ever contest entry, what do you veterans think it's lacking? It just does not seem Dwarfy enough to me. Needs some cogs/gears or something, I'm not sure what but something is missing.

#44 Skinny

Skinny

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:23 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#45 Skinny

Skinny

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:24 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#46 Skinny

Skinny

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:25 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#47 Squergi

Squergi

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:03 AM

Very cool, the golem actually fits surprisingly well into the unit! Just another neighbourhood dwarf, nothing special! ;)

:hi:

#48 Fanai Glimmerclaw

Fanai Glimmerclaw

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:25 AM

skinny comes out well

#49 King Ulrik Flamebeard

King Ulrik Flamebeard

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:42 PM

Nice looking army. I like the 'iron giant' unit filler, adds some character to the unit. Keep it up!

Kuffy

#50 Skinny

Skinny

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:19 AM

Here's the final product. (now that I notice it, seems I was too anxious to snap photos as I forgot to wipe off the excess flocking lol) I was trying to figure out what to add to it, seemed like it missing something and so I found this old metal figure lying around, cut off the mallet head and added a shovel head. Then I took a wheelbarrow from the cannon/organ gun sprue and dumped some model train coal into it. So I ended up with someone to keep the Golem going strong by stoking his fire with lots of coal.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Skinny, 22 April 2012 - 03:22 AM.

#51 gortock grimblade

gortock grimblade

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:33 AM

wow just wow very cool. love the Dawi helper keeping that beast running great idea!! Well done!

#52 King Ulrik Flamebeard

King Ulrik Flamebeard

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

That is a nice unit filler, it fits rather well with the dwarfs. I do however think that some of the blue plates, the arms and shoulders could do with a better highlight as it doesn't look that clear.

Kuffy

#53 Skinny

Skinny

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:50 AM

That is a nice unit filler, it fits rather well with the dwarfs. I do however think that some of the blue plates, the arms and shoulders could do with a better highlight as it doesn't look that clear.

Kuffy

You are absolutely right. I will have to get to that in the next few days. On another note, this caught my eye...not sure if I like it though.

http://www.scotiagre...products_id=274

#54 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:45 AM

I thought the same about the blue highlights - the model is painted nice and neatly but the illusion of 3 dimensions is not that convincing. Strictly speaking the highlights and shadows are the wrong way around in places such as the shoulder pads. The highlights should be brightest at the centre/higher points and darker closer the recesses/where edges meet. You have done the oposite to this in places, having a darker strip in the middle of the blue pads and lightening towards the sides. Other than that, a really nice unit filler :)

#55 Skinny

Skinny

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:52 AM

Thank you AB. I will have to fix that in the months to come. Right now I'm working on a piece for the Unit Painting Challenge and here are some of my Thunderers that have had base colors applied. I have got to take a class on photography or something because my pics always turn out bad lol. Over half of these are done with basecoating, all that is left for most of them is the beards. Tell me what you think guys...

Here's a good picture with the flash to show the different shades of blue and gray I used. It also shows the different metallics as well.
Posted Image

#56 Skinny

Skinny

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:56 AM

In this one you have a side view of the two ranks and it helps to show how I've painted each gun differently. I made it so that no two are exactly alike. And yes the poor guy on the end has a hole in shoulder for some reason, gotta' take some greenstuff to that.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Skinny, 10 June 2012 - 01:57 AM.

#57 Skinny

Skinny

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:59 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's the conversion piece in the unit, got a lot of work to do to him yet.
Posted Image

#58 Dourin

Dourin

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
Contributor

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:56 AM

Ooh, very nice idea! Simple and elegant!

Good job there! Might steal it. ;)

#59 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:27 PM

An engineer with a super long distance rifle? There's a little bit of genius there!

#60 Skinny

Skinny

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:29 AM

Any advice on painting wintery bases? I'm gonna' redo all of mine except for the Ironbreakers.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: throng, ironbreakers, unit filler, blue, conversion, dwarf, army, steam golem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users