82 replies to this topic

#1 Skinny

Skinny

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

Hello all, I finally got up the nerve to post my own work on here in hopes that I can get some good critiques. The latest model I've painted is not fully finished as it needs some touch ups here and there from me being messy. It is a plastic GW Warrior from the Battalion Box with slight modification. The cloak is black for now because I am not sure what to do with it. I tried setting up a light box for taking pictures and it didn't work since it's rainy and gloomy outside so I just took it into the bathroom and turned on my wife's spotlights on the vanity lol.

So far the Dwarf hold has no fluff at all other than I'm going with blue...

So....here's my trash...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Skinny, 17 April 2012 - 03:36 AM.

#2 Skuffi

Skuffi

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:11 PM

Overall pretty meh................ Nah I'm just messing with you. I actually think it's pretty good. The darkness of the model is really nice and the blending isn't half bad. Just for reference, when I first saw the cloak [Because usually I look at the pictures before actually reading what's going on] I was like 'Hm, Good idea leaving it black, it blends the model together quite well.' So in opinion don't worry about the cloak unless you come up with something epic(esk).

#3 Skinny

Skinny

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:51 PM

Thanks for the props Skuffi. I have been mulling over just leaving the cloak black with maybe blue or gold trim of some kind. Do you think the shirt sleeves need more highlighting?

#4 Skinny

Skinny

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:55 PM

Some other stuff from recently:

Games Workshop Runesmith

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Reaper Dwarven Pathfinder

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Torendil Zharrgrund

Torendil Zharrgrund

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:30 PM

I like your models, nice work.

The gloves on the RL are especially nice. I do believe the gemstones could benefit from another, sharper, highlight in one of the corners.

The Pathfinder is looking good, nice effect on the black armor. Maybe a wash of Gryphon Sephia on the beard to make the strainst stand out a little bit more? Or it could just be the lighting effect of the pic. :)

Good job!

Torendil

#6 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:09 PM

Nice to see a new painting blog :) Good start so far, basic painting but neatly done, always looks good :)

#7 Skinny

Skinny

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:04 AM

I like your models, nice work.

The gloves on the RL are especially nice. I do believe the gemstones could benefit from another, sharper, highlight in one of the corners.

The Pathfinder is looking good, nice effect on the black armor. Maybe a wash of Gryphon Sephia on the beard to make the strainst stand out a little bit more? Or it could just be the lighting effect of the pic. :)

Good job!

Torendil

No, the beard definitely needs more highlights. It seems like once I spray the dullcote on it really kills a lot of the highlights.

#8 Grix

Grix

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:49 PM

Great work so far. Thanks for sharing keep it up.

#9 Squergi

Squergi

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:04 PM

Nice to see a new blog indeed!

First of all: regarding the warrior.
(1) What's up with the metallic hands? :P Did you forget to paint them flesh coloured?
(2) I too really like the black cloak, makes him look more valiant/skilled.
(3) I do think the sleeves need more highlights - you shouldn't leave any of your miniature's spots unlayered - as it breaks the contrast of the whole mini. The same goes for the black cloak :)
(4) The metallics look really nice
(5) There are still some visible mould lines - you should always take great care to clean all of those off :)

Overall nice, clean painting! :)

:hi:

Edited by Squergi, 26 January 2012 - 05:07 PM.

#10 Skinny

Skinny

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:06 PM

Nice to see a new blog indeed!

First of all: regarding the warrior.
(1) What's up with the metallic hands? :P Did you forget to paint them flesh coloured?
(2) I too really like the black cloak, makes him look more valiant/skilled.
(3) I do think the sleeves need more highlights - you shouldn't leave any of your miniature's spots unlayered - as it breaks the contrast of the whole mini. The same goes for the black cloak :)
(4) The metallics look really nice
(5) There are still some visible mould lines - you should always take great care to clean all of those off :)

Overall nice, clean painting! :)

:hi:

Thanks Squergi for the input. The look on the hands was meant to be gauntlets but I guess I didn't pull it off if it isn't readily noticeable lol. I'm guessing for highlights on the sleeves go with a lighter glue on the creases and folds and the same for the cloak but with maybe a dark gray followed by a light gray? I'm really kicking myself for not getting rid of the mold lines now, didn't think I would notice it that badly but once they're painted it's painfully obvious. Also, best tip on removing paint on metal figures? Paint stripper? I've read that SimpleGreen is very good for plastics but I wasn't sure what to use on metal.

#11 Skinny

Skinny

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:15 PM

As to the fluff of this particular hold, I've been mulling over some ideas. Is there any reason for a Dwarven clan to move across the sea to Naggaroth in search of riches? Or how about the mountains around the Sour Sea towards the south of Karak Azgal?

Edited by Skinny, 28 January 2012 - 03:33 AM.

#12 Skinny

Skinny

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:43 PM

Found myself a good wiki to read and both of those choices would be poor ones lol. Seems like the areas that the Dwarves still hold and the areas within the Empire & Brettonia are the only logical places to set up camp.

#13 CitizenThane

CitizenThane

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:00 AM

Great models, in particular i like the converted weapon on the first one, its an axe/hammer what more could a dwarf want in a weapon!?!

#14 CitizenThane

CitizenThane

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:00 AM

Great models, in particular i like the converted weapon on the first one, its an axe/hammer what more could a dwarf want in a weapon!?!

#15 Skinny

Skinny

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:14 AM

Since my last post in this thread I have dipped and re-done my Ironbreakers, finished basing my 16 HwS Warriors, started work on the GW Warriors, and began building my movement trays. I did also happen to pick this up a week or so back and I started pinning it and modding it tonight. ( http://store.dp9.com...products_id=369 ) I have not decided yet as to the paint scheme so I'm open to suggestions. I'm in the process of making it more Dwarf-esque by adding little bits here and there. It's going to be used as a Steam Golem unit filler in a warrior block. Seems like it needs a pipe or something on the back for the furnace? It does have a little round furnace door on the back of the mini though.

#16 Skinny

Skinny

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:18 AM

Thinking of adding a shield to the left arm as well, maybe one of scibor's pieces...

http://sciborminiatu...ed_plates1x.jpg

http://sciborminiatu...plates_8_01.jpg

http://sciborminiatu..._shields_2x.jpg

Edited by Skinny, 11 March 2012 - 05:20 AM.

#17 Skinny

Skinny

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:07 AM

Finally I have time to add some pictures...

Here are my 6 Ironbreakers with Command. I had a group shot but I'm not sure what happened to it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Skinny, 21 March 2012 - 05:15 AM.

#18 Skinny

Skinny

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:09 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 Skinny

Skinny

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:09 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 Skinny

Skinny

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:10 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: throng, ironbreakers, unit filler, blue, conversion, dwarf, army, steam golem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users