1 Runesmith: R spellbreak x2

29 warriors: FC, shields

18 Longbeards: FC, Great Weapons

10 Thunderers: FC

40 Miners FC

1 cannon: R forging

1 cannon: R forging , R Burning

1 organ gun

This list is bang on 2000pts. Please give comments,advice, praise and or scorn!

#2 Griegsson

Griegsson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:10 PM

Miners, especially big miners, either need an anvil or a brotherhood character with challenge (and a steam drill!).

Otherwise, seeing as they can't charge on the turn they arrive, your opponent has time to react - shooting them, deploying redirectors in their path or bringing a killy unit to bear that will take them out.

Other than that:

Your Lord's runes could use some work - read the Lord Tactica for advice - at the moment he's not very killy and not very tanky.

Thunderers don't need FC (shields are better for the points).

The longbeard unit is too small. Either give them shields or more bodies.

I'm confused by your BSB - is he running solo?

Runesmith could use a little more defence - even just a shield+stone.

#3 Durgin

Durgin

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:29 PM

Mining Armies without IB is a sin, IB are a must have in Mining themed armies (if you really want to play fluff that is)

#4 Forkbeard

Forkbeard

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:30 PM

Miners, especially big miners, either need an anvil or a brotherhood character with challenge (and a steam drill!).

Otherwise, seeing as they can't charge on the turn they arrive, your opponent has time to react - shooting them, deploying redirectors in their path or bringing a killy unit to bear that will take them out.

Other than that:

Your Lord's runes could use some work - read the Lord Tactica for advice - at the moment he's not very killy and not very tanky.

Thunderers don't need FC (shields are better for the points).

The longbeard unit is too small. Either give them shields or more bodies.

I'm confused by your BSB - is he running solo?

Runesmith could use a little more defence - even just a shield+stone.

Thanks for the feedback.

What if I just deploy the miners at start of game?
I was going to deploy lord with the LBs will that make much of a difference?
And yep I am trialling running BSB solo.

#5 Forkbeard

Forkbeard

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:34 PM

Mining Armies without IB is a sin, IB are a must have in Mining themed armies (if you really want to play fluff that is)

Usually I would agree but my backstory states that they are too poor to afford the gromril!

#6 Durgin

Durgin

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:47 PM

Usually I would agree but my backstory states that they are too poor to afford the gromril!

Hahaha, now that's a back story I like! :D

About deploying the Miners just as regular units, imo that would be a waste of their points competitive-wise, in that case you could just use GW Warriors as well for less points.

#7 Targ Ironfist

Targ Ironfist

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:01 PM

Any point you can spare should go into making LBs bigger.

#8 The Green skin killer

The Green skin killer

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:20 PM

I would bring a thane or lord with the brother hood rune and maybe another smaller unit of miners. The idea Is to ambush your opponent and surprise them with all the miners behind them, they will not see it coming and will have to completely change their strategy to it.

#9 Forkbeard

Forkbeard

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:36 AM

1 Lord: sheildbearers , MRSwift, R cleave, R fury, R preservation, R stone

1 Thane: BSB, MR Gromril, R iron x2

1 Runesmith: R spellbreak x2

29 warriors: FC, shields

23 Longbeards: FC, Great Weapons, Ancestor Rune

40 Miners FC

1 cannon: R forging

1 cannon: R forging , R Burning

1 organ gun

Again bang on 2000pts. Please give additional comments,advice, praise and or scorn!

Edited by Forkbeard, 31 January 2012 - 01:00 PM.

#10 Wendersnaven

Wendersnaven

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:42 PM

I think it will do fine if not well provided the scenario is not random placement- but then again, your opponent has the same problem.

The LBs and wars can panic bunker and protect the artillery while the miners pop on in the most opportune position possible. It's clear that you want to use the miner horde. I personally use two units of 20, but I think shaving the unit to 30+ miners and giving the Longbeards MRoGrungi may assist your castle better.

On the other hand, <sounding like Rebtevia> you do have that nice 2K even. I'd play it and see what happens; I suspect you will succeed in the intent of the game this way. That is, to have fun. :yes:

#11 Targ Ironfist

Targ Ironfist

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:31 PM

1 Lord: sheildbearers , shield, MRSwift, R cleave, R fury, R preservation, R stone

28 Longbeards: FC, Great Weapons, Ancestor Rune

Lord is very weak. His armour is just a bit weak and he will get killed by properly tooled up enemies.
5 S5 attacks with I4 means you do not get those re-rolls against many an enemy and S5 is simply not enough to kill realy hard things. -2 to AS will mean nothing in most cases.

Longbeards are overcosted - much more expencive in comparison to hammerers and their abilities. Otherwise the bigger regiment has more chance of success.

Miners without anvil are not so good.

Otherwise your list it not bad. You should have a lot of fun with it and that you will, I think. :drinks:

#12 DelgDeathaxe

DelgDeathaxe

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:02 PM

an idea that is fun is using the anvil with the army but take 10 of the miners out of your big block and put 2 small groups of 5 out for ambush or rerout. that is a fave of mine and it is fun to see the look on an opponents face when they pop up and charge out of nowhere and ruin their plans

#13 The Green skin killer

The Green skin killer

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:40 PM

yahh id say have a 30 man hoard and a 10 man small unit that can be a backup unit

#14 Kwisatz Haderach

Kwisatz Haderach

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:22 AM

I've always wanted a Miner Themed army, but most of my opponents are hard-"I swear too much" tournament players, so a competitive list is mandatory. The solution I have come up with is to use Miner models to count as Hammerers, which works out since the actual Hammerer models lack variety. I also use Miner models as Champions for my Warriors and Longbeards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users