Photo

100 Longbeardrangers In Tbo's Shortest Report Yet! (Honestly!)

rangers bugman

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 the bearded one

the bearded one

The Spammer King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:31 PM

After several humongous battlereports, it's time for a small one. I played this game a couple months back, so almost all of this is from memory and not 100% accurate.

My list wass... roughly... sort offf..

50 longbeards
- rangers
- great weapons
- full command
- master rune of grungni

50 longbeards
- rangers
- great weapons
- throwing axes
- full command
- rune of slowness

bugman

and here it gets fuzzy.. erhm..
thane, mrogromril, rocleaving, roflaming, robrotherhood, BSB.. I think.
thane, robrotherhood, GW, rostone, Mrochallenge (and maybe some other stuff..)
runelord, 2x spellbreaking, mrobalance, shield

10 quarrelers

8 miners, champion

The dark elves had 11 cold one knights and a dreadlord on cold one with the pendant, a cauldron of blood, between 20 and 30 witch elves, 40 spear elves, some shades, 2 units of 10 crossbows and a hydra.

Deployment: I drop the quarrelers with runelord in the far left corner, behind a forest.
[end of my deployment :P ]

the dark elf player, shocked to find out that those 2 big blocks not yet deployed are in fact scouts, deploys his army in such a way to prevent my blocks from dropping anywhere in his zone.

I drop the 100 rangers 12" away, in front of his knights with dreadlord and the 40 spears with lvl4 sorc. The axethrowing ones with bugman and the BSB in front of the knights, and the other ones with the challenge thane in front of the spears. The dark elf gets first turn and my challengethane forces the spear elves to charge the longbeards. He decides to charge the hydra into the unit as well, which ends up in its flank.

Posted Image
Posted Image

The knights decide to charge too and sadly I roll only a 1 on the rune of slowness. On a 2 or more the knights would have failed their charge.. Regardless the throwing axes manage to unhorse 4 knights! Never underestimate 20 str5 axes! In combat with the knights I slaughter my way through them untill only the lord remains, with 30 or so longbeards still standing.

On the other side the sorceress casts some silly spell (the one that inflicts str2 hits on every model in the unit) on bugman's unit, but the dice are poor and almost nothing dies. It costs her a miscast with the large str10 template and she herself disappears into the realm of chaos, after blowing up several longbeards and nearly a dozen spearelves. In combat the spears do maybe a wound or 2, and the hydra wreaks utter devastation with his attacks, his breatweapon and his thunderstomp. I lose 20 or so models after this, but in return I kill so many spearelves it's not even funny and only a single rank of spears is left standing.

At this point my miners come up the board, directly behind the hydra, so I position them so that if the hydra breaks from combat and is not caught by my pursuing longbeards, he will "bump" through the miners, off the table. In combat I wipe out the spears and make the hydra flee, who indeed runs off the table. The longbeards turn around and head in the direction of the combat with the pendantlord.

The pendantlord is givng me a headache, as I fight it for 3 or 4 rounds of combat with bugman and his rangers, before making him flee (though I did not even cause a wound). Meanwhile the witch elves were approaching, intending to fight the unit of longbeards with the challengethane. The pendantlord fled at this point, leaving the witchelves open to either charge or throw axes at. I decided to walk up and throw axes in their face, killing over half the witchelves and reducing them to a single rank.

Posted Image
Posted Image

The front rank is the most dangerous rank though, so the witch elves then charge into the remaining ~20 longbeards with challenge thane, kill an entire rank and are reduced to only the champion in return, who flees, but is not caught. The miners attempt to dislodge the 10 crossbows inside the tower, but fail to do so. Luckily the champion still survives after these attempts, and I attempt to march him to safety. The heavily battered unit of longbeards with challengethane tries to take the tower as well, but is unsuccesful, and are decimated by the crossbows in return. Before the end of the game they kill the last models, earning the dark elves an enormous boatload of victorypoints on that unit.

Oh, and during the entire game, the quarrelers and shades held a shootingmatch.

In the end though it is the dwarfs who take the prize, managing to edge out a victory with the destruction of the cold one knights, hydra, spears and lvl4 sorc and taking the knight, spear and witch elf banners, in exchange for the lives of 50 longbeardrangers and their banner.

#2 Furgil

Furgil

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:28 AM

Nice, I have toyed with this style of army for GT play a bit, but wasn't really super excited enough to try such a thing in a competative environment. Though fun for single battles.

#3 Torendil Zharrgrund

Torendil Zharrgrund

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:48 AM

Nice list, and thank you for reporting.

I love useing weird or different lists that catch an oponnent off guard now and then. It's fun to play, and teaches them dwarves are not always a static army.

It's been a while since I've tried an out-of-the-box lists since I'm still getting used to 8th, but in the upcomming local campaign I plan to use the big rangers, gunline, ambush army and strollaz. :)

Thanks for reporting, :drinks: on me!

BTW : Nice gaming table! The snow effect is great.

Torendil

#4 the bearded one

the bearded one

The Spammer King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:14 PM

It was quite fun to do, it really suprised not only the opponent but also the people around the table. I don't think it's very viable in a competitive setting, or to be used repeatedly, because you really only have 2 major blocks to figth with. They are strong but can be overwhelmed.

#5 Targ Ironfist

Targ Ironfist

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:59 PM

A very nice and fun battle. I love the ambush style of a horde of dawi appearing from nowhere. :friends: :drinks: :drinks:
Its appropriate from time to time against certain opponents... :D

#6 bam4k

bam4k

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:38 PM

I was toying with a 2500 list like this. 2x50 LB rangers (no throwing axes), 30 Miners, 10 miners, Bugman, BSB, and a Runelord. I have not tried it out yet, but I hope to soon

#7 the bearded one

the bearded one

The Spammer King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:33 AM

I found the challenge-thane to really be worthwhile for this game though, so try to fit it on your BSB if you can. The biggest problem you might have is that the runelord can't deploy in a unit in that list, unless you're giving him the rune of brotherhood (which will cost a talisman rune slot).

Also, throwing axes are cool ^^

Edited by the bearded one, 31 December 2011 - 12:33 AM.

#8 Andy Spiers

Andy Spiers

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:23 PM

Been tempted to run a simliar army for about a year (since I was on the Heelanhammer dwarf episode). Still not found a tournament to let me run it. :(

#9 Wendersnaven

Wendersnaven

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:14 PM

Brilliant! I'm glad throwing axes worked for you on those witches.

#10 Oaka

Oaka

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:42 PM

Great report btw! I am planning on doing something similar to this as my main army play.

Just curious... How did you get around not having at least one unit of Dwarf Warriors?

Edit: Just read Royal Blood. ^_^ Well done sir! I'm going to be using this but changing a few things. Hope to have my list up this afternoon.

~Oaka

Edited by Oaka, 05 August 2012 - 07:01 PM.

#11 the bearded one

the bearded one

The Spammer King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:43 PM

Just curious... How did you get around not having at least one unit of Dwarf Warriors?

Edit: Just read Royal Blood. ^_^ Well done sir! I'm going to be using this but changing a few things. Hope to have my list up this afternoon.

Actually, longbeard rangers don't count for the ratio of warriors-to-longbeards :D I don't recall exactly where it is, it might be in the FAQ, or in bugman's rules.

#12 Oaka

Oaka

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:00 PM

Ahhh you're right! I did not check the FAQ. Rangers do indeed not count towards the ratio! ^_^ I was wondering how you pulled that off without using Royal Blood.

I've been working on the list quite a bit and it seems you had it pretty well nailed down. I am not to sure about what I can change to the list tbh. There are a few things I am worried about though. How did you plan for targets that needed magical attacks to take down? Did you solely rely on the Thanes? Or did you just not worry about it and hope to defeat them through battle res?

#13 the bearded one

the bearded one

The Spammer King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:13 PM

Bugman and the thanes ought to be sufficient. I often like to give my BSB a rune of might and rune of fire, so that he can act as a very unexpected monster-counter, bludgeoning a creature with 3 flaming str8 attacks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rangers, bugman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users