#42 Andy Spiers

Andy Spiers

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:16 PM

I wish that was the case! Book seems to be creeping back in under the comp. :(

Just got back from Winter War. Will write up my last Winter Incursion game before going into detail with how I did.

A

#43 Targ Ironfist

Targ Ironfist

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:37 PM

Pit of shades is deadly. Was there no chance to kill the mage and the unit with all the crossbows and stuff?

You have 2 GTs +cannon+ OG + 40 quarrellers. You ought to be able to kill one pesky HE mage, or? (I know he had a lot of shooty pointy ears, but still. getting that unit with the mage should have won you the game and for the pit he needs get into 24", so even OG should get a shot...

#44 Andy Spiers

Andy Spiers

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:32 PM

He was in a unit of Phoenix guard, in one long line. could only get 1 unit of xbows to shoot it (which he was depleting due to his shooting), Organ gun was the first warmachine he killed with pit, grudgethrowers could only hit 5 a turn, and his ward saves were immense. And as soon as the phoenix guard were low (and no look out sir) he used mists and shadows to teleport out of there.

On a lighter note, I may have won a 54 player 1-day event yesterday...

#45 Griegsson

Griegsson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:01 AM

Congratulations on your win Andy! My Bugman ambush list avoided the wooden spoon by one point (one loss through being outplayed by a top player, one loss through bad play on my part, one crazy dice game draw).

#46 Kognar

Kognar

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:15 PM

Yes well done Andy. Three of the five dwarves ended up in the bottom 15 so glad you countered that with a first! I was a mear three points myself from the wooden spoon.

Looking forward to the reports.

#47 Andy Spiers

Andy Spiers

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:06 AM

Cheers guys.

I will just saw that my last game at Winter incursion was a non-game. Playing vs Skaven, the abom survived 2 flaming cannon shots without taking a wound, and the grey seer failed 3 look out sirs, and only took 1 wound. Ended up loosing 20-0.

Will put my Winter War write ups here.

#48 Andy Spiers

Andy Spiers

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:12 AM

So... Winter War, eh?

I wasnt originally going, but had to drop off a Dark Elf commission painted army that I was doing for a player who was going. So I managed to pick up a ticket, and entered the following list.

Lord on Shieldbearers with RoStone, RoResistance, RoPreservation, MRoSpite, Great Weapon

Runelord with shield, RoStone, RoPreservation, 2xSpelleater Runes, MRoChallenge

BSB with MRoGromril, RoResistance, RoPreservation

Master Engineer with Brace of Pistols

22 Xbow with Great Weapons, Standard and Musician

22 Xbow with Great Weapons, Standard and Musician

26 Hammerers, Standard with MRoGrungi, Musician

Cannon with Forging,

Grudgethrower with Accuracy and Burning

Grudgethrower with Accuracy and Penetrating

Organ Gun

Gyrocopter

Play three great games, Empire (20-0), Bretonnians (12-8) and High Elves (18-2) to win the event with 50 tournament points (1 point clear at the top).

Reports are in the next posts

#49 Andy Spiers

Andy Spiers

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:44 AM

So first game was against Ben Smith (@BENTHESMITH on twitter).

He is a recent fantasy convert after roundbasing for sometime. He has been trying out several armies, but settled on the Ogres. He hadnt managed to finish painting them, so he borrowed an empire army for the event.

His list was something like:

Arch Lector on War Alter

Level 4 on Shadow (Miasma, Withering, Enfeebling, Mindrazor)

Level 1 on Light (burning gaze)

BSB

50 Swordmen with 20 halberdier detachment

10 xbow

5 outriders

2 cannons

2 mortars

Steam tank

27 flagellants.

terrain was set up already, and there was hardly any that would effect the game. We set up opposite each other, and he ran my bow defense.

He went first, moved everything forward to get into range with the shooty stuff, and the combat stuff as close as he can. I then shot the steam tank, but failed to wound it. Grudgethrowers took off a cannon, and paniced a mortar.

He carried on moving up, and I carried on shooting him off the board. I killed the flaggies before they got into combat, but the swordsmen got into the hammerers at about 35 (5x7). The wizard lord was in the unit as well. On the turn he charged, he cast Mindrazor on the swordsmen, but I destroyed it, to which he cast 3 dice withering, double sixed it. -3 toughness was going to hurt the hammerers big style. He then rolled for his miscast, Dimensional cascade, and removed 25 swordsmen, 12 hammerers and wounded the BSB and Runelord. Combat, then went my way, with me taking off all the remaining swords men.

Game ended up 20-0, with me mopping up the rest of his points, apart from the Outriders, who decided to run away and hide from the shooting dominance.

Notes on the game:

I think the dwarves should beat the empire in a warmachine shoot out, we are much more accurate, whilst having the 5+ ward save against their cannon balls, etc. Also, we have the shooting to deal with anything that comes forward, whereas they will struggle (sans magic) to break the dawi lines.

#50 Andy Spiers

Andy Spiers

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:31 AM

2nd Game was Vs Steve Follows and his Bretonnians.

He was using:

Lord on Pegasus with HKB and other kit

Level 4 on Heavens on foot

BSB

Paladin with Charmed Shield and Grail Vow

6 KotR with Musician

6 KotR with Musician

6 KotR with Musician

9 Knight errants with Full Command

8 Knight errants with Full Command

3 Peg Knights with Musician

3 Peg Knights with Musician

8 Grail Knights with Full Command

20 Peasant Archers

Trebuchet

The mission was meeting engagement, but both of us forgot to roll to see what was in reserve. Steve said to me, he needs to just run at me, otherwise he has no chance of podiuming at the event. I went first, and my warmachines did almost nothing, apart from killing trebuchet, due to his great deployment and vanguard moves. He then moved everything up, making great use of terrain and blocking units. He went to cast Iceshard Blizzard on my s4 grudgethrower, rolled 3 sixes, dimensional cascade (again), removes 5 archers and then the wizard decided a trip to the Realm of Chaos would be nice this time of year.

I then took his bsb off his horse with a cannon shot, even through look out sir. Shooting had killed 2 peg knights from one unit, and 1 from the other, and the grudgethrowers started to cause havoc in his big units of knights, killing 3 or 4 a turn.

I MRoChallenged his bigger peg knight unit into the hammerers, and he charged the other unit into the right hand xbow, along with a unit of grail knights (that was 23" away from the unit, and unit of realms. I S&S the realms, which failed their charge. Grails made it due to a filthy little combo I had never thought about (+d6 charge on the paladin, and the banner of swiftness on the standard bearer). They go right through the xbow, and off the board.

Next turn, i manage to flame 12 knights, killing 4 with the gyrocopter, organ gun removes the 5 kotr that tried to charge the right xbow. He then charges all the remaining knights into the left hand xbow, and goes right through aswell. One unit of realm (4 models) overruns into the cannon by a clip charge. Grail knights had come back on the board, and looking menacing at the organ gun and hammerer flank.

Organ gun then decides that it doesnt like grail knights, and kills 7 of them. Boom! S4 Grudgethrower indirects against the HKB lord hiding behind a large piece of impassable terrain, hitting, wounding and killing the general. Boom Boom! The other missed the grail knights, and the cannon is in combat. Gyro flames 2 more knights. Combat, the master engineer had charged into the flank of the KotR in combat with the cannon. He declares a challenge, kills the champion (brace of pistols are great), the cannon takes 2 wounds, but stays around due to being stubborn on a 10.

If I wouldnt have killed that many grail knights, he would have had to charge the hammerers, but as there was only the standard bearer and the Paladin left, he could get to the organ gun. Other knights spin around to charge warmachines.

Best combat of the game for me happened the turn after. The kotr had failed to wound the cannon or the engineer, who had in turn killed another knight, when the Master Engineer got rear charged by the paladin and the grail knight. Master Engineer declares a challenge to reduce the amount of attacks on him, survives the paladins attacks, then shot him off his horse!

He ended up getting both the xbows, a grudgethrower, the organ gun, and the gyrocopter (which sacrificed itself to save the cannon and the other grudgethrower).

The game ended 12-8 to me, as he couldnt get the huge amounts of points in the hammerer unit, whereas I got the General bonus and a few banners too.

Great game, great guy, knife edge stuff to the last. If any of you end up playing him, you are guaranteed a game game.

#51 Targ Ironfist

Targ Ironfist

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:18 PM

Congratulation to you! For placing so well and for having such a good game. I like my game with brettons. Usualy lot of fun. :buba:

#52 Torendil Zharrgrund

Torendil Zharrgrund

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:54 PM

Congratulations on the victory!

I'm very glad that you keep on posting battle reports, I find them very interesting to read.

Good to see a MroChallenge in the list, recently I can't get enough of that rune. :)

Very interesting Bret list. I wouldn't have thought about making an army like that, but it does seem like a powerfull build.
Very nasty combination on the Grails!
Good shooting on the BSB, failing LoS and the Ward must have hurt him!
Wonderfull fighting on behalf of the ME, that guy should become a fighty lord!

Thanks for reporting, :drinks:

Torendil

#53 Andy Spiers

Andy Spiers

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:44 AM

No worries, good to keep a record of my games tbh. Allows me to have a written thought process on building armies and changes, etc.

For example, I am taking the same list to Sheffield, as I want to see if the S4/S5 is needed on the grudgethrowers, or whether the S3/S4 is enough, allowing points for the extra spell eater, pistols on the Master Engingeer, etc.

Last game report up in a minute.

#54 Andy Spiers

Andy Spiers

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:58 AM

Last game was against a guy called Dave with his High Elves.

He was using:

Lord on a moon dragon (!) *woop woop*

Hero on Eagle

Level 2 on HIgh Magic

Level 2 on High Magic

3 x 10 archers

40 Spearmen with full command

14 sword masters

14 White Lions

Eagle

Bolt Thrower

Once again, was a good game.

He hide the moon dragon behind a building for the first turn, moved everything up into range. Eagle Hero survived a cannonball hit, and I thought, this is the way it is going...

Fortunatley, the turn after, I cannoned off his lord (thank god I moved the flaming on to the grudgethrower!) and left the dragon on 1 wound. I let the dragon and the eagle hero (MRoChallenge) flank charge the hammerers after reforming the xbow into deep, Deep dragon and eagle hero. :D

Pretty much shot off the rest of his army, lost the gyro in combat to 2 units of archers (after 6 rounds of combat!). Only interesting thing that happened in this game was this: Once again, the Master Engineer's pistols worked wonders. 1 Sword master from a unit left, so I shot him with the pistols, killed the SM, which paniced the full unit of spearmen with the level 2 in, which ran in turn 3, failed to rally 4 and 5, and rallied 2 inches from the board edge in his turn 6. Cost me the 20-0, but still got the 18-2 (thought I had missed out on the podium at this point, as we had finished early, and the top table and the table below looked like they were going for big wins.

Sorry for the short report, but not much else happened in the game!

Fortunately they both ended up in close draws (TT was 12-8 and T3 was 10-10). Ended up winning on 50tps out of a possible 60. Steve Follows came 2nd, and Shaun (Ogres) came 3rd (both guys got big wins in their last game, and tied on 49TPs, but Steve beat Shaun on VPs.

Looking forward to Sheffield now, will try and get the reports up on the saturday night if I can find an internet connection at the venue.

#55 Torendil Zharrgrund

Torendil Zharrgrund

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:15 PM

Allright, that's the way to show those skirt-wearing long haired pantsys the way true dawi fight!

Well done, it seems like the ME is a real gunslinger, I suggest a coversion with a cowboy hat!

Torendil

#56 Andy Spiers

Andy Spiers

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:43 AM

So i have Rob Mitchells wood elves first round at the Slaughter. Still waiting for the lists to be posted up, going to be interesting - especially as I am taking him up to the event!

#57 The Low King

The Low King

Grundadum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:56 AM

Hmmm, nice wins!!!

Do you use partials with your Gyro?

#58 Grix

Grix

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:58 PM

As always your reports are great to read. Congrats on the top spot.

#59 Snake1311

Snake1311

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:49 AM

Nice one Andy, have't seen a dwarf take podium in ages!

Good luck at the slaugher, you need a mere 25th place finish ;) should be a cakewalk with people getting overexcited on silly special characters.

Are you coming to the ETC team event this year? Its pretty much the only thing I'll be attending for a long time (after getting put on the reserves for SCGT), and it would be cool to get a mirror game against you at some point.

#60 Andy Spiers

Andy Spiers

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:55 AM

Well, its the morning after the weekend before.

As some of you might now know, I managed my 2nd podium in as many weeks. Came 2nd, which could have been first if it was for my own brother backstabbing me with a 2tps Sportsmanship hit for an unfounded reason.

Played 4 great games, and one against my brother (which I thought was ok - tense and strained, but ok). Played vs Wood Elves (20-0, Warriors 16-4, Skaven 13-7, Ogres 16-4 and Ogres 10-10), to get a total of 75tps out of a potential 90. Played against three world class players there too, 1 old school top player and 1 new school player, so it wasnt chump bashing to the top!

Reports will make it up on here as soon as I can, got quite a bit to commission paint this week, and I lose 4 days to my other brothers wedding this weekend.

A

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dwarf, tournament, rankings, spiers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users