#1 Andy Spiers

Andy Spiers

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:08 PM

Hi all,

I have been running a blog on The Warhammer Forum, but on the 'secret' etc forums for scotland and England. However, I thought I would share my battle experiences with you, so more people benefit.

For those that dont know me, I am currently ranked #1 in Europe with Dwarfs. I have been playing them since I was 3 days old, as my dad decided to buy *me* a dwarf cannon, whilst he was waiting for my mum to come out of the hospital. Regularly attending UK tournaments since 2005, using the dawi regularly since 2009.

Hope you enjoy the blog. I will start off by transplating my reports over from the other thread, then I will be keeping it up to date.

My current list (ETC legal) is as follows (note any references to thunderers in the blogs was a unit of 20 thunderers with full command that I substituted for the GW Xbow):

Lord on Shieldbearers
Shield
RoResistance
RoPreservation
MRoSpite

Runelord
RoStone
RoPreservation
Spell Eater Rune x 2
Shield

BSB
MRoGromril
RoResistance
RoPreservation

Master Engineer

22 Xbow
Great Weapons
Full Command

22 Xbow
Great Weapons
Full Command

26 Hammers
Std and Musician
MRoGrungi

Cannon
Forging
Burning

Grudgethrower
Penetrating
Accuracy

Grudge Thrower
2 x Penetrating
Accuracy

Gyrocopter

Organ Gun

Edited by Andy Spiers, 05 October 2012 - 02:35 PM.

#2 Andy Spiers

Andy Spiers

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:42 PM

Played vs Skaven last week, although it was against Dan Humpage rather than Colin Dabin.

He was running a very nasty sskaven list, and it might be worth a look.

Grey seer on bell (plague, 13th, Power scroll) Pushe dby 30 stormvermin

Plague Priest on Furnace (kit) pushed by 28 monks

Plague Priest on Furnace (kit) pushed by 25 monks

40 slaves with shields

40 slaves with shields

40 slaves with shields

Abom

WLC

I was running the above list, but with 2 x 20 thunderers rather than the xbow.

I got first turn, and took the WLC off. Bell 4+ Warded a grudgethrower. Storm Banner stopped everything else.

D1 - Pushed everything forward, abom went 6 inches. (triple 2). Storm banner still up.

A2 - Storm Banner goes away. Gyro flies to furnace block on my left flank (out of arc of sight), and flames 12 monks. Cannon kills first furnace and kills the priest, double GT fail to wound the bell or seer. Organ gun is out of range (as are the thunderers)

D2 - Push more forward. Abom topped hill on right flank, Monks fail charge hammerers, but a slave block gets in. Other slave block fail charges thunderers, which S&S, cause 10 wounds, panic and flee. 3rd Block of Slaves move up. Other furnace turns to face gyro. Bell unit moves up, to get plague and 13th in range. he rolls a big 10 on the winds of magic, and he has two warptokens. He tries to 4 dice plague, destroy scroll, no plague. 3 dice wither gets dispelled, 2 dice something else (dispelled), and then 3 dice and scroll 13th, Destroy scroll gets rid of that too. What a great magic phase. First time the double destroy scroll really caught someone out - although this might be something to do with the open list policy with the ETC. Slaves take a battering but survive due to steadfast.

A3 - Gyro flies out of sight vs the Left flank furnace. Flaming Cannon and Thunderers take off the Abom, Grudgethrowers cause 4 wounds on the bell, none on the Seer. Organ gun and thunderers tear into plague monks without the furnace. Gyro flames another 7 monks. Hammerers pop the slaves, but all warmachines take a wound due to Dan rolling a 6 on the amount of inches they explode by.

D3 - Monks charge thunderers, Left flank slaves charge hammerers, furnace monks turn to face gyro (to try and template him). Dan Irresistible Force's Poison on the Monks, and they go through the thunderers. Seer loses 3 levels, and has no spells left. slaves lose 17 models to the horde hammerers.

A4 - Master Engineer moves to block any charge on the warmachines from the monks when they come back on the board. Gyro moves out of sight again to flame more monks, reducing them down to 5 men (no moving now!), right hand thunderers reform and move up to support the hammerers. GT's wound the bell again, organ gun blows up, cannon does nothing. (2 followed by a misfire, followed by a misfire!). Hammerers smash the slaves down, leaving noone alive - so no exploding!

D4 - Bell unit charges Hammerers, Monks come back on board. Furnace unit is stranded. No magic, and the hammerers smash some storm vermin face, and take the bell down to 1 wound. Bsb takes a challenge from the Seer, and causes a wound on the white rat, with no return. Win combat, but steadfast keeps him around.

A5, forgot to charge the thunderers into the flank of the bell, but he forgot to ring the bell the turn before, so its swings and round abouts. Grudgethrowers double hit the remaining furnace to reduce it to match sticks, and the cannon grapeshots the non-furnace monks, taking them down to 6 models. Hammerers win combat by 2, failing to wound the bell, althought the BSB killed the Seer.

D5 - Monks charge the hammerers flank, but can only get 3 models into contact, as I challenge with the lord in my combat phase (accepted by the Stormvermin Champion). Hammerers smash the bell, and the lord causes 4 wound overkill. Big win for the dwarfs, which turn to face the monks.

A6 - Gyro flames last 5 monks on the left flank. Hammerers smash the other monks, which run off the board.

Andy 2400 + (3 x 25 Standards) + 100 General Bonus = 2575 -=- Dan 120 (gyro) + 305 (thunderers) + 25 (Standard)

#3 Andy Spiers

Andy Spiers

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:43 PM

Played vs Dave Hanson's Daemon's.

Daemons I usually do well against. If their Greater Daemon decides to play its 500-600 easy points, I can usually reduce a unit of bloodletters down to a single rank before it hits, and the gyro loves to flames T3 models (bloodletters, daemonettes, horrors).

So he was running (winter incursion comp)

Great Unclean One with Balesword and Noxious Vapours

Herald of Tzeentch with Master of Sorcery (light) and Winged Horror

Herald of Tzeentch with Master of Sorcery (shadow) and Spell Breaker

Herald of Khorne with Armour of Khorne

Herald of Slaanesh with Siren Song

28 Bloodletters with full command

28 Daemonettes with full command

10 horrors

10 horrors

3 flamers

3 flamers

Fiend

Fiend

~~~~~~~~~~

So we set up the terrain, fairly standard, with a building almost in each deployment zone, two woods, two hills and some impassable around, that werent going to play much in the game.

I set up in the typical bow deployment, with the thunderers on the left flank, hammerers in horde in the middle, xbow on the right, with (left to right) cannon, S5 GT, S4 GT and organ behind this bow. Gyrocopter went behind the building to stop any cheap shots from flamers on him first turn.

Dave set up with the Bloodletter block on my right flank, flamers in the middle, daemonettes opposite my left flank, double batteries of horror with heralds behind, a fiend on each flank, and the GUO behind his building (to hide from the cannon's and grudgethrowers).

D1 He got first turn, and shoved everything forward. He threw his right flank fiend within range of the organ gun, and opposite the xbow. Bloodletters were out of range to both, daemonettes were out of 15" charge from the hammerers, flamers moved up in the middle. Left flank fiend stayed near the daemonettes. GUO stayed where it was. Magic, he got a big Pha's protection. Grrr. Nothing from shooting.

A1 Gyro flew to the right flank of the bloodletters to flame them, everything else stood where it was. Organ gun took off the fiend, and the 25 xbow opened up on the bloodletters. Combined with the gyrocopter, I took off 12 Letters. :D Cannon, and both GT did nothing. Thunderers kill 5 daemonettes.

D2 Letters moved up to be within 14 of the xbow, daemonettes shuffled forward, and the fiend moved to be 1" away from my hammerers, but angles so if I charge it my flank would be exposed to the daemonettes. Flamers move up to next to the building, and horrors do the same. Magic, nothing really happens, shooting kills a thunderer (from one of the flamers - god bless the 5+ ward save!), but the other unit takes off the Gyro!

A2 Hammerers charge the fiend (free 55pts), thunderers get Siren Song'd into the daemonettes, but fail charge, and go 3 inches towards the Nette block. Shooting, and the organ gun and Xbow reduce the Letters down to 1 rank (including the Herald). Grudgethrowers reduce one of the horror blocks to 6 models (Grrr 4+ ward save). Cannon misses the same horror block's Herald. Fiend pops, and I reform to allow the flank charge from the daemonettes *NOTE this was my mistake. Giving the Nettes the flank was a wise choice, but I forgot to move my BSB, thus allowing him to do what happened in the next player turn. This is also the point we went back to after the mistake).

D3 Nettes charge the flank of the Hammerers, Letters charge the Xbow. Letters lose another 4 to stand and shoot. Magic, and he gets a Irresistable Force MindRazor on the net. Grrr. Nettes remove the BSB *NOTE mistake here!* and win combat by 2, stubborn on a 10 - failed - fled, caught and destroyed. This is the point we reset to the BSB not dying. He would have got a 20-0 once he removed that unit. We replayed the combat, with the Lord making way, still lost by 2, but due to the reroll, I survived. Didnt try and reform (as Mindrazor lasts 2 player turns). Letters kill a few xbow, but stubborn on a 10 with a reroll allows them to stay around. Reform to be 5 wide and 4 deep.

A3 Combats stay as they are. Thunderers shoot the Shadow herald's unit to below 5 RnF, Grudge throwers kill the herald and wipe the rest of the unit from the face of the board. No more Mindrazor, so after the combat I would be able to reform the unit to bring the great weapons from the hammerers to bear. Cannon kills a flamer, whilst the organ gun kills two from the other unit. Hammerers lose by 1 again, pass their break test (shock horror!), and reform to face the deamonettes. Letters go down to 3 letters and the herald, lose combat by 2, leaving only the herald.

D4 Light Herald moves into the building, flamers hide. Magic, and I destroy Timewarp. Flamers try to kill the organ gun, but fail to wound it. Combat, and the hammerers kick 7 shades out of the daemonettes, but they kill a fair number back. I win combat, but due to the light herald bsb being within 12, he manages to pass without taking any wounds. Khorne herald loses combat by 1, but passes due to the bsb too.

A4 Pretty much a rinse and repeat from D4, although Dave learnt what happens to units in a building facing 4 warmachines. He was left with 2 horrors and the herald on 1 wound (stupid cannon rolling a 1 for amount of wounds!)

D5 Once again, same as A4, flamers hiding behind the building (but 1 flamer has to be seen by the organ gun or cannon). Light herald moves out of the building. Magic, and a double 1 WoM roll means nothing is happening. Hammerers are reduced to about 12 models plus characters, but daemonettes are down to 5. Slaanesh Herald dies to the Lord, as he has nowhere to refuse the challenge! Khorne Herald loses by 1 again, but passes even without the BSB in range.

A5 Grudgethrowers try to indirect the Great Unclean One, but fail. Cannon snipes a flamer, leaving only 1 left from 2 units of 3. Daemonettes go down to the standard bearer, herald wins by 1! But the xbow are steadfast, 10, with a reroll, so arent going anywhere.

D6, tries to hide as much as possible, so I cant get the charge off on the Light Herald in my last turn. Magic, nothing as banishment gets destroyed. Herald of Khorne pops due to a wound and losing combat by 1, and the last daemonette dies. Reform to try and get the charge in my last turn.

A6 Hammerers fail charge, GT's fail to wound the GUO despite two hits.

first game I handed the 20-0 to Dave, due to my HUGE mistake - which is one that I will not be repeating. However, the final score was a high scoring 16-4 to me, after only losing the Gyrocopter to a lucky 17 shots from the flamers in one turn.

I think the dwarves can comfortably deal with Daemons, as long as you keep to some simple mantra's:

> Prioritise you targets. Bloodletters are the biggest threat, after fiends and the Greater daemon. Reduce them to 1 rank or less if possible.
>Once the above is done, its all above character sniping and removing look out sir to get those points out the Heralds.
> Take the cheap points from things offered when you can.
>If he doesnt want to risk his Greater Daemon, then make his other units pay for it. Only try and indirect it if no other opportunities are available.

#4 Andy Spiers

Andy Spiers

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:43 PM

vs Skaven (Colin Dabin)

Colin was using a rather mediocre skaven list, revised after Valhalla.

He has the following:

Grey Seer with Toys in a 35 Strong Stormvermin unit.

Plague Priest with Furnace in a 30 strong Plague Monk unit.

2 x 40 slaves with shields

2 x 30 clan rats

Plague Mortar, 2 x Doom Flayer

WLC

2 x 9 Poison Gutter Runners with Slings.

4 x Rat Darts

I was using my list with 2 x 22 Xbows with Great Weapons.

I got first turn (and he didnt have storm banner!). He had sort of hid the furnace from the stone throwers, but the cannon took both the furnace and the priest down to one wound each. Xbow removes a Rat Dart. Stone Throwers failed to kill the WLC. Gyro flew behind some impassable terrain so it didnt get shot next turn by the WLC.

C1: Moved everything forward, but faffed about with his clan rats and slaves. Magic, and a irresistable force 13th took of 12 Hammerers, but the dimensional cascade took off 13 stormvermin, 4 clanrats, and a wound on the grey seer. The WLC tried to hit the S5 stonethrower, but missed.

A2: Gyro flew over to flame the storm vermin, and took a wound due to landing in difficult terrain (as otherwise I would have been in the charge arc). Shooting, and the organ gun took off the left hand xbows took of the priest and the furnace. Right hand xbow shot a rat dart, caused another to panic towards my lines (as you flee from nearest unit - being the Gyrocopter). Organ gun decides to do its favourite thing of blowing up, and the cannon & stone throwers, combined with the gyrocopter, remove the entire unit of stormvermin (including the grey seer), but leaving his BSB.

C2: Carried on trying to push everything forward. Plague Monks fail charge the Left hand xbow, which Stand and Shoot, killing another handful. Bsb joins the slaves next to him. Everything moves forward. Magic, and he only has he Warp Engineer left to cast Warp Lightning. He Irresistable Forces it, failing to kill any xbow with it (god bless the Master Rune of Grungi), but kills the 4 surrounding Clanrats from around the engineer. WLC hits the Stonethrower, but fails to wound. .

A3: Keep on shooting. Gyro moves to flame the Plague Monks, supported by the left hand xbow, reducing them to one rank. Right hand Xbow try to thin the ranks of slaves that are bearing down on them. Stone throwers fail to kill the WLC (both missing, even with rerolls - who said dwarfs have laser guided warmachines!). Cannon tries to pop the Bsb, but Look Out Sir means he dodges it, and 5 slaves die instead.

C3: Plague Monks charge the xbow, losing another 4 monks. 2 rat darts, and slaves charge the xbow, and a clan rat unit charged the hammerers. Doom Flayers both fail their charges. He brought his gutter runners on, but forgot to move them, as he wanted to try and kill the organ gun with Magic. He casts it, but I destroy Warp Lightning, which leaves him with no spells. WLC fails to wound the S5 stonethrower, as s2 is quite funny when it tries to wound a T7 warmachine. Combat, and the hammerers tear the Clanrats a new one, which break and flee. Slaves and rat darts in the Xbow lose combat, but stay around due to steadfast with a reroll, and the BSB takes a wound. Plague monks are deleted by Xbow with great weapons (boy can they hit like a train!).

A4: Gyro flies over to flame the newly arrived Gutter Runners, and the cannon swivels to shoot the other unit of Runners. Xbow reform to block the left hand runners (the one with the gyro) to stop them getting past into my warmachines. Hammerers charge the clanrats, which break, redirect into the mortar, which flees, and I catch both of them. Gyro flames, killing 8!, causing panic, and they run off the board. Cannon rolls a 10 for grapeshot, killing 7, but they past their panic due to the BSB being near. Grrr! Fail to kill the WLC with the stone throwers again. Xbow keep smashing the slaves, but the BSB not dying keeps them around.

C4: last unit of clanrats move up to charge the xbow, but fail to charge. Gutter Runners snake eyes their roll to charge the cannon. No magic, shooting, and once again he fails to hit the Stonethrower. Combat, and the skaven bsb finally takes his last wound, which means that both the slaves units in combat with the xbow break. Xbow reform to face the last clan rat unit.

A5: Hammerers move back towards my lines. Shooting, xbow on left flank shoot last three gutter runners, which die easily to 22 large xbow bolts. Gyro flies back to threaten the clanrats in my last turn. Xbow open up on the clanrats, cause enough to panic the rats, which panic through their doomflayer, causing both to flee.

C5: Colin shoots the WLC at the stonethrower, finally killing it with s10. He gives up after this.

Andy 2700 vs 275 Colin

Good game, although he is using a very sub optimal list. I think with the Storm Banner and a HPA, the skaven army is quite hard. I would have to kill the abom and the furnace before they hit my lines, but this means I wouldnt have been able to concentrate on the Stormvermin unit to kill the Grey Seer. Definitely a match up I would favour my build of dwarves against, but as with everything, if he rolls well it could be quite different.

#5 Torendil Zharrgrund

Torendil Zharrgrund

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:36 PM

First, thank you for putting the reports up on the Brewery!

They make for a very good read, and the lack of visual representation doesn't bother me as your way of bringing reports is very clear.

Good to see another kind of army being used expertly!

:drinks:

Torendil the Slayer

#6 Andy Spiers

Andy Spiers

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:18 PM

Had a game last Saturday vs Lizardmen, (Lewis Johnson) from Pompey Pirates.

He was using:

Ethereal Slaan BSB with Toys on Life

Scar Vet on Cold one (with 1+ save, 2+ Ward Save vs Flaming, other stuff)

Scar Vet on Cold one (with 1+ Rerollable, Charmed Shield, other stuff)

Level 2 Skink Shaman on Heavens.

30 Saurus Warriors with Spears and Full Command

30 Saurus Warriors with Spears and Full Command

20 Templeguard with Full Command

3 x 10 Skinks with Blow pipes

2 x single Salamanders

3 Terradons

8 Chameleon Skinks

~~~~~~~~~~~

Terrain was set up with a two hills in the middle of the board, one either side of the mid point, with a small building in between. I had a woods in my deployment zone, and he had a well. Another building was on my far right flank.

He deployed in a standard skinks in front, with his saurus line (saurus, temple guard, saurus) behind them. I deployed in my usual bow deployment, which is using the long board edge, you box yourself in, with xbow on either flank running from the board edge to the Hammerers. Hammerers in horde, with all characters; warmachines and master engineer behind. This stops any flyers or fast cav getting into my lines, as they can't fit or land in the gaps. Only things that worry me is 20mm skirmishers, as they can fit down the 1" gap between the units, but this is where the Master Engineer comes in. Gyro went 12.5 inches from my lines, to stop the Chameleons, and the other side of my bow was 12 inches from the left board edge.

I get first turn.

A1, Gyro flies back to the lines, so not to get poisoned off by chameleons. Organ gun is out of range, so its down to the cannon, Grudgethrowers, and one unit of xbow. Cannon hits salamander, and takes it down to 1 wound (grrr). Stone throwers start to decimate the temple guard, kill 8 out of 16 hits, due to Ironcurse Icon. Slaan Look out Sir's his first Grudgethrower, but fails the 2nd, but Ward Saves the wounding hit. Xbows kill 3 skinks from one of the units.

L1: Lewis didnt fancy leaving his skink priest in the unit with less skinks in, so moved him into a saurus unit (which he had deployed 15x2 so not to get hit hard by the grudgethrowers). This stopped them moving. Skinks, and salamanders moved up, temple guard tried to hide from warmachines behind the building, and his left flank saurus moved up. Scar vet 2 moved up to support the chameleons, who he was scared would be gyro'd or organ gun'd off (so kept them 24 inches away from my lines). Magic, rolls an 8, I fail to destroy Throne of Vines, and he gets an Irresistable Earthblood on the Templeguard. Shooting did nothing.

A2: Gyro flies out to shoot Chameleons. Shooting, and everything combined killed 8 Chameleons (gyro), 10 blow pipe skinks including skink priest (organ gun), sallie (cannon), 2 Templeguard (xbow and grudgethrowers - bloody Earthblood).

L2: Lewis Carried on pushing everything up, giving me plenty to shoot at. He throws his chaff up, but shuffles with his saurus and temple guard. Magic, 8, Irresistable Throne, and he failed to cast Flesh to Stone. Shooting from the lizzies once again did nothing.

A3: Gyro flies over his left flank to flame the temple guard, my aim to reduce them down to 5 TG + the slaan (thus removing look out sir, and then hit him with my warmachines). Gyro and organ gun kill a few TG, stonethrower kills scar vet 1 who was out on his own, Organ gun kills unit of terradons. Cannon and other stonethrower fails to wound the Slaan. I forgot to dispel Throne of Vines.

L3: Once again, everything shuffles up, but the Temple guard hide behind that central building. Magic, 6 plus a channel, Flesh to stone on the unit of 10 blow pipe skinks in front of my lines. Regrows 3 Temple Guard. Shooting, as previous, fails to do anything.

A4: Remembered to dispel Throne of Vines. Gyro flames 6 Temple guard(!), right xbow and organ gun kill 4 Flesh'd Skinks, left xbow shoot TG, kill a few more, leaving the Slaan without a look out sir. Cannon and stone throwers leave a frog shaped hole in the middle of the Temple guard, and a green smeer on the floor.

L4: My right hand saurus charge right hand xbow through woods, left hand saurus fail to charge left hand xbow (5 dead saurus to Stand and Shoot). Temple Guard and Chameleons skinks move towards Lewis' table edge to try and get out of range of the organ gun, xbow and gyro. No Magic, and shooting does nothing apart from Gyro taking two wounds from skinks in the building (out of 5 shots!). Combat, the xbow lose by 1, by stand due to steadfast LD10 with bsb reroll.

A5: Gyro moves to hide, as it is down to 1 wound. Left hand xbow kill 5 more saurus. Organ gun causes 1 wound on scar vet 2 after rolling double 2 on the artillery dice, and cannon fails to wound due to 2+ Ward vs Flaming. Grudgethrower both miss (indirectly) the templeguard. Right hand xbow win combat by 2, but Saurus stick around (Damn coldblooded!).

L5: Salamander fail charges the organ gun, everything else tries to hide. No Magic, no shooting. Combat, xbow and saurus is a draw (both have musicians).

A6: Scar Vet pops to a roll of a 10 from the organ gun (sallie and skinks flee to panic from this). left xbow and gyro fail to panic Left hand saurus off the board. Combat, and the Saurus are down to 1 model, but stay around due to a double 1 (I hate coldblooded).

L6: Sallie and Skinks rally, but Saurus pops in combat.

Overall, it was 1683 to 0 VPS to me. Was lucky not to loose anything, but he failed to get into my lines.

I think the strength of my list lies in the fact that I can reduce the general's unit down to below look out sir from the Xbow's and Organ gun (and even the stonethrowers if needed), and then pop the character with the cannon. It is the 2nd game I have done this (vs Skaven the game before, and now lizards).

Shame that the Hammerers didnt get into combat, but they work as a points denial unit too.

#7 Torendil Zharrgrund

Torendil Zharrgrund

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:16 PM

A good write up.

Well done on the victory, that is rough for the lizzy player.

Torendil the Slayer

#8 Ryric

Ryric

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:53 PM

There is no worse decision than to be indecisive in the face of an overwhelming firepower superiority. Forward or backward, but never stationary.

#9 Andy Spiers

Andy Spiers

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:35 PM

Last thursday I played against our hated foes, Orcs and Goblins.

Not played much vs the Greenskins, but I think there is some horrible potential from that book, that will catch a lot of people off guard.

Mike was using:

Black Orc General with stuff

Black Orc Hero with stuff

Black Orc Hero with stuff

Goblin BSB

Goblin Level 2

30 Savage Orcs with full command

3 x 20 Night Goblins with Spears, full command and 3 x fanatics

30 Black Orcs with full command

30 Black Orcs with full command

6 trollz

2 Mangler Squigs

Doom Diver

Rock Lobber

~~~~~~~~~

Was looking at his army, and I was worried. Thats a lot of fanatics, manglers and elite orcs.

Terrain
This was set up by another member of the gaming club, and I won the roll off for going first. We (left to right) a hill in his deployment, two pieces of impassable terrain 7 inches apart in the centre, a building and woods on the right hand side, and another hill on the far right.

Set up
My bow deployment again, with the hammerers facing the centre of the board (which was fairly clear), xbows facing the gap in the impassable terrain on the left, and xbows on the right facing the hill, with the warmachines behind as per usual. Gyro hid behind a piece of impassable that blocks line of sight. He deployed (my left to right) Mangler, Night Goblins, Trollz, Black Orcs with General and BSB, on my left, Black Orcs with Hero and Level 2 Gobbo Shaman, Savage Orcs in Horde, Night Goblins, warmachines behind, in the centre, and Night Goblins and manglers on the right.

I won the roll to go first, down to the fact I finished deploying first.

A1: Gyro carried on hiding, as it wouldnt reach anything. Cannon killed the Rock Lobber, but Grudgethrowers failed to kill the doom diver. Xbows took out 5 Goblins from the centre unit.

M1: Everything moved forward. Nothing failed animosity or stupidity. Magic, and his first spell got destroyed (was something about anti-shooting). He had the magic missile as his other spell, and this was dispelled. Shooting, and the doom diver completely missed, even with the d6 alteration of the location of impact.

A2: Gyro flew over to draw out some fanatics, with his back to the impassable terrain. Took 1 wound, as only 1 hit him (but all three hit the trollz that were in the way! Kill a troll too!). I then flew over to flame the same goblin unit. Everything else stayed where it was (shock horror!). Cannon killed Another troll and took another down to 1 wound. Grudgethrowers both hit the doomdiver, but cause only 1 wound between them. Both Xbows target the savage orcs, to try and reduce the amount of attacks that get into the Hammerers, and kill an impressive 10 savages. Organ gun opens up on the mangler that went 17 inches the turn before (on the right flank), and removed it without a problem. The gyro flames 15 goblins, killing 11 of them. Go Gyro! They pass their panic test due to the close proximity of the BlOrc General and BSB.

M2: The remaining gobbo's charge the gyrocopter, but due to the angle, I couldnt flee, as I would flee off the board. Trollz able forward into the gap between the impassable terrain, with the General's unit behind them. Savages push forward, supported by the other Blorc unit, and the central gobbo's. The right gobbo unit moves up, just in range of releasing the fanatics, but none of the three making it to the xbow unit. Magic, and I destroy the other spell, leaving magic useless in the game. Shooting, and once again, the doom diver fails to hit the S5 grudgethrower, by deviating off the board. Combat, and the gyro passes a LD to stay around after losing combat by 1 (charge, rank and banner, to 2 kills from the Gyro!).

A3: With the gyro in combat, my ability to reduce the units of gobbos and the savages down as ridiculously small. So... The cannon shot the doom diver, as I didnt want that starting to take off 5 or 6 hammerers or my warmachines. 1 dead doomdiver. :D s5 Grudgethrower lands on the central gobbo unit, removing it in its entirety! The 3 fanatics are then scattered randomly from the center of the unit, 1 going into the building, and dying, but the other two running through the back of the savage orcs, killing another 6, and positioning themselves 1" away from the front of the Savages front! Win! The other grudgethrower aims for the Central Black orc unit, but misses, even with the rerolls. Organ Gun kills a fanatic, and the right hand xbows kill another, leaving only 1 to go near the right xbows. The left xbows shoot the trollz, but Mike's regen rolls mean I dont wound with a single one, after hitting with 18, wounding with 10. 10 Regen rolls succeed!!!! Combat, and the gyro wins by 1 (two more kills, to a banner), but LD 9 minus 1, with a reroll kept them around.

M3: Fanatics move back through the savage orcs, killing another 4, leaving only the front rank. Savage Orcs charge the Hammerers, and trollz charge the Left xbows. S&S does nothing to the trollz, with another 8 regen's passed. FFS. Right hand gobbo's move up to stop right hand xbow flanking the Savage orcs next turn. Central black orcs move up and position to be able to flank the Right Xbows if they charge the gobbos. BlOrc General's unit navigates the gap in the impassable terrain. Shooting (none... lol), so into combat. Savage Orcs remove 16 hammerers on the charge, but the remaining hammerers, lord, bsb, Runelord and shieldbearers kill almost the rest of the unit leaving only the Standard Bearer and the Black Orc hero! Trollz tear into the left hand xbow, killing 6 xbow, and the trollz pass another(!) 8 regens. This is getting silly. I stay around due to being steadfast LD 10 with an unneeded reroll. Gyrocopter loses combat by 1 (standard bearer vs 1 kill, but gobbo musician breaks me). He flee's, ends up on the board edge, and the gobbo's double 1 their pursuit.

A4: Right hand xbow DONT charge the gobbos, as a flanking charge by black orcs is not on their christmas lists. Gyro Rallies, and reforms with his rear facing my long table edge, forcing the gobbos, if they charge, to only have 3 models in contact, rather than 4, and if I break again, I have a lage 26 inches to flee before I am near a board edge again. Shooting, and the Organ blows up, cannon blows up (even with the Master Engineer and Rune of Forging!), leaving only the two grudgethrowers. Both hit the centre black orc unit, taking it down to 4 models. I love stonethrowers... Right hand xbow shoot the gobbo's, killing 16 of the them, causing them to panic, and flee (and under 25% too). Combat, and the savage orc standard bearer, along with the Black Orc hero as killed, Reform into a Lordpedo, with the bsb, runelord in the 2 rank facing both units of black orcs. Xbow lose combat again, after finally causing 1 wound, killing the rear ranked troll, but taking a beating in return. They stay around once again, but with only 5 models left....

M4: Central Black Orc unit moves backwards, not wanting the Lordpedo to charge it, and the General's Black Orc unit moves up to try and get to charge the lordpedo in his T5. So he only has the undestrucatble Trollz, the central black orc unit (5 models), General's Black orcs unit (30 strong plus characters), and 11 gobbo's on the left flank remaining. Gobbo's on the left flank fail their animosity, and squabble. Trollz remove the rest of the xbow in combat (not suprise there), and reform to face the s4 Grudgethrower.A5,

A5: Master Engineer moved to protect the S4 vs the Trollz. Hammerers shuffled to take as many charges in the front as possible. Right xbow shoots the black orc unit, taking it down to standard and character. Stone throwers fire at General's unit, taking it down to 8 models. Gyro flies to side of gobbos, and flames 2.

M5. Trollz fail charge the Master Engineer (double 1 charge distance ftw). General's Black Orc unit retires, as does the Central black orc unit.

A6: Grudgethrowers kill another 5 from the General's Black Orc unit, and cause 2 wounds on the general. Xbow fail to wound any of the Central Black Orc Unit. Gyro flames another 3 gobbo's, leaving 1 left.

M6: Trollz charge the Grudgethrower (forgot about only a single point of contact to be in combat with the warmachine). They wipe it out in combat - no shocker there.

Game ends with me with a 1550 Andy vs 685, so a 16-4 win to me.

Was a hard game. Three elite Orc blocks that never fail animosity is hard to kill, and I felt almost cheated that I didnt get both units of black orcs (A total of 4 Black Orcs left on the board). Also, to lose both the cannon (only thing to deal with the trollz) and the Organ gun (chaff and small unit deleter) in one turn really hurt.

C&C?

#10 Stymie Jackson

Stymie Jackson

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:03 PM

Despite the excellent regen rolling, he got really boned over by the fanatics (doing FAR more damage to him than to you) and the GTs basically anhilliating a unit each turn. That's just brutal and it appears your gaming group just can't deal with a strong Dwarven gunline very well. I mean seriously, 22 dead Black Orcs from the GTs in one turn? That's very high...did he not deploy wide, but deep instead? It's pretty much a max of 14 models hit by a GT is he's in 4 ranks, so that's some good rolls to wound anyway. He's not going to get far slogging 4 movement units in the face of that superior firepower.

Queue Admiral Ackbar right about now. "We can't repel firepower of that magnitude!"

It does look a bit scary, that Orc army, but it's a footslogger horde with garbage armor saves. Perfect for a gunline army to feast upon. Nothing to get a warmachines quick, not a lot of shooting.

And then eating both his spells...the double rune-eating does seem overkill to me as usually we can stop a Level 2 without that gimmick, but it HAS to be a major psychological factor to remove both of his only two spells.

Edited by Stymie Jackson, 06 December 2011 - 09:08 PM.

#11 Torendil Zharrgrund

Torendil Zharrgrund

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:10 PM

Nice report, as always.

Interesting O&G list. Most players I know run with the big monster version as opposed to heavy infantry in this list.

Having only one flaming WM is difficult if it blows up, but on the other hand it can be to much when facing anti-flaming stuff, so you have to find a balance.

Torendil the Slayer

#12 Andy Spiers

Andy Spiers

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:39 AM

I hear you about the flaming, i just find having 2 flaming machines is a little too much, but 1 isnt enough...

Yeah, i think the OnG list, if played right, can be horrendous. Gave the bloke some tips on how to change it about (drop the gobbo bsb, and make one of his Black Orc Heroes the Bsb instead), Also, run it with two NG blocks behind the savages, and try and fit a savage wizard in for the 5+ ward, rather than the gobbo level 2.

Playing on Thursday at the club, and then I am playing 2 games on Friday at Maelstrom Games, and 6 over the weekend during the Winter Incursion tournament. Will put the write ups on here.

A

P.s. Am gutted at the moment as I have lost the best dwarf general icon, as my Downfall result from last year has dropped off. Just need to come 8 places higher than Hristo Nikolov to get it back on the weekend!

#13 Andrik

Andrik

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:17 PM

Good luck this weekend, may even get to play you :)

#14 Andy Spiers

Andy Spiers

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:54 PM

Good luck this weekend, may even get to play you :)

What are you taking? Stunties or something else?

A

#15 Andrik

Andrik

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:20 PM

Im taking my HE for this one, looking at maybe running the Dwarfs again for next years events :)

#16 Targ Ironfist

Targ Ironfist

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:03 AM

Lord Duregar II: A3: With the gyro in combat, my ability to reduce the units of gobbos and the savages down as ridiculously small. So... The cannon shot the doom diver, as I didnt want that starting to take off 5 or 6 hammerers or my warmachines. 1 dead doomdiver. :D s5 Grudgethrower lands on the central gobbo unit, removing it in its entirety! The 3 fanatics are then scattered randomly from the center of the unit, 1 going into the building, and dying, but the other two running through the back of the savage orcs, killing another 6, and positioning themselves 1" away from the front of the Savages front! Win! ....

If a concealing unit flees or is destroyed, any Fanatics yet to be released are lost.
So did I miss something or you played this incorrectly??

#17 Andy Spiers

Andy Spiers

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:18 PM

I was told by the OnG player than they scatter out randomly, using the scatter dice and 2d6. If we played it wrong, then it only was in detriment to himself!

#18 Andy Spiers

Andy Spiers

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:20 PM

So Winter Incursion has come and gone.

I finished 61st, after taking a soft score hit of 1250pts due to a slightly incorrect list being submitted. Not going to go into the details about why it was wrong, just a stupid error on my behalf. I am disappointed in this, as I was playing in the top 20 tables at a 114 player event in all but 1 of my games (the first one).

Reports are to follow.

#19 Andy Spiers

Andy Spiers

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:15 PM

Game 1 - Ben Halford - Skaven

This was a game against a great opponent, who made some very silly mistakes.

He was running:

Warlord @ 228.0 Pts
General; Heavy Armour; Shield; War-Litter
Warlock-Augmented Weapon; Dragonhelm; Talisman of Preservation

Grey Seer @ 265.0 Pts
Magic Level 4
Dispel Scroll

Chieftain @ 80.0 Pts
Heavy Armour; Battle Standard
Banner of the Eternal Flame

Warlock Engineer @ 45.0 Pts
Doom Rocket

Warlock Engineer @ 65.0 Pts
Brass Orb

45 Skavenslaves @ 92.0 Pts
Slave Musician

45 Skavenslaves @ 92.0 Pts
Slave Musician

30 Clanrats @ 210.0 Pts
Light Armour; Shields; Standard; Musician; Clawleader; Doom-flayer

30 Clanrats @ 220.0 Pts
Light Armour; Shields; Standard; Musician; Clawleader; Poisoned Wind Mortar

8 Rat Ogres @ 352.0 Pts
4 Rat Ogre Packmasters

5 Poisoned Wind Globadiers @ 80.0 Pts
Bombardier; Death Globe

10 Gutter Runners @ 180.0 Pts
2ndWeapon; Poisoned Attacks; Sling; Throwing Stars

Doomwheel @ 150.0 Pts

Warp-lightning Warp Cannon @ 90.0 Pts

Hellpit Abomination @ 250.0 Pts
Warpstone Spikes

Set up.

Battlefield was more or less clear of problematic terrain, with only a woods in the way of his army and mine. He had most of his blocks on my left flank, his Rat Ogres towards my centre, and a clanrat and abom on my right.

I was set up in my usuall bow deployment.

He got first turn.

B1 He pushed all of it forward, abom only went 6 inches though. Magic, and he skitterleaped into my army, which I let him have, and then he cast Cracks Calls on my warmachines with 5 dice. Didnt irresistable. Spell Eater removes the spell. 'Bugger' he thought. WLC did nothing, all game, so I wont mention it anymore.

A1 Gyro moves up to a safe position to flame some rats next turn. Shooting, Organ Gun gives 10 slaps to the Grey Seer, leaving only a rapidly thinning red mist, and some grey fur spattering the back of my army. Cannon kills the Abom. Grudgethrowers double team the unit of clanrats that the Warlord is in.

B2 Carries on moving forward, but doesnt move the warlord and bsb in to a slave unit. Rat Ogres get to base of some small ruins in front of the centre right of my army. No magic. Shooting, doom rocket wasnt used.

A2 Gyro moves to flame the flank of the gutter runners, Grudgethowers remove the rest of the generals clanrats, cannon smashes the doomwheel into little splinters. Xbows kill slaves. Organ gun causes 5 wounds on the rat ogres. Gutter runners take 4 casualties, and dont panic.

B3 Gutter Runners move to shoot the gyro. Everything else pushes up. Warlord and BSB moves into the central unit of slaves (there were two flanking the clanrats) No Magic. Shooting, and the gyro goes down to 3 poisoned shots.

A3 Right hand xbow shoot the advancing rat ogres and so does the cannon, killing another 2 and a bit (leaving 4 and 1 packmaster). Grudgethrowers double team the slaves with the general in, reducing their numbers by half. Organ gun kills the Wind globadiers.

B4 I use the MRoChallenge (which I had swapped into the list, along with a spellbreaker, instead of the 2nd Spell Eater) the General's slave unit into my hammerers, and the Rat Ogres charged too. The right hand clan rats charged the right hand xbow, and the gutter runners moved towards my left flank. Shooting, and the gutter runners tried to get lucky vs the cannon, but failed. Combat, and he challenges with his Warlord. As the Lord was in b2b through cornering with the warlord, I accepted with the lord, removing a rat ogre from combat, leaving only 2 in b2b. His slaves and the rat ogres do kill 3 hammerers between them, the bsb fails to wound, and the challenge goes badly for ben, as his lord takes 2 wounds in response for making it through to the ward save on the dwarf lord. The hammerers kill the skaven bsb, and splatter enough slaves to remove steadfast. He loses combat BIG, and both flee. Slaves auto pop, killing all the characters with them (General and Doom Rocket Engineer), and the Hammerers catch and destroy the Rat Ogres with an impressive double six pursuit! Right hand xbow smack the right hand clanrats, but the CR stay around due to steadfast.

A4 Hammerers charge the Doomflayer who was lurking behind the combat. Left xbow shoot the Gutter Runners to extinction, cannon fails to wound the WLC, grudgethrowers kill 20 slaves between them in his only block left not dead or in combat. Organ gun is out of range of anything important. Combat, and the left hand xbow smash the clanrats again, breaking them, and once again, catching and destroying the rats through a double 6 pursuit! Hammerers pop the doomflayer, take 2 casualties in reply.

B5 Engineer with Brass orb leaves slave unit, and runs 1" away from left xbow and the cannon. Brass orb then ends up scattering off the board, and therefore not effecting anything.

A5 Left xbow charge the Engineer, who flee's. I redirect, and charge the slaves, catch the engineer on the way. Shooting, and the Grudgethrowers pop the WLC, cannon kills the poison wind mortar, which had done nothing all game. Xbow smash straight through the slaves, which pop, killing the last 2 clanrats which originally had the general in.

B6 Nothing was left.

A6 Fancy a beer?

So, a massive, massive win to start the day, albeit it that I won due to a very silly mistake from Ben with his Grey Seer. We had talked about this after the game, and whilst I admit, if it had worked, I would have been hard pressed to deal with his blocks and abom, the chances of it failing far far outweigh the slim chance of it working. I found out he tried this at least one more time in the tournament, with similar results to our game.

#20 Andrik

Andrik

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:33 PM

Nice report so far. I saw your army (if i'm thinking of the right one) and it looked very nice the blue tint to them made them look very nice. Didn't get to play you but I believe you played my mates Chaos Dwarf list.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dwarf, tournament, rankings, spiers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users