• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Shuyin7432

Shuyin7432

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:06 AM

I was surfing youtube this evening, and came across a game trailer for warhammer online, for those of you who don't know; (link below), and was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the idea of dwarf automated turrets, any potential for rules etc.

An upgrade for the engineer, a bonus for defending objectives, or stationary turrets that target the closest enemy. That sort of thing.

#2 Alaric Ironaxe

Alaric Ironaxe

White Dwarf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts
Contributor

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:15 AM

bit to futuristic to me....i dont see that sort of thing actually being possible in a fantasy medieval world..

#3 The Low King

The Low King

Grundadum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:48 AM

Yes, the dwarfs solved all their problems with armies of robotic gatling guns.....

NO

Although it would be amusing to field an army entirely of these guns and then inform your opponant that all the dwarfs were in the pub so had sent some machines to kill them rather than interupt their drinking...

Edited by The Low King, 16 November 2011 - 02:50 AM.

#4 Wendersnaven

Wendersnaven

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:28 AM

In MMORPGs there is usually some kind of hunter class who summons an ally pet from the wild. In Warhammer's case, the Goblins could summon a squig and the Dawi are the Order counterpart, summoning ...... machines. They were just tryin to make engineers fit into a typical class mold so the numbers would crunch pretty with the game engine.

#5 Rinn Zylra

Rinn Zylra

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:39 AM

Spoiler alert

In the latest Black Library book, Thanquol's Doom, the skaven attack a Dwarf hold. A young engineer has a number of these sentinal automatic steam driven gatling guns (organ guns) set up to protect the hold. These gatling organ guns worked very well, broke up the skaven horde attack and sent routing back the way they came with little or no loss of life on the Dwarf side.

Read this latest book!!!

#6 Monk

Monk

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:34 AM

Spoiler alert

In the latest Black Library book,

Hmmm. Me thinks a GW/Black Library/THQ Games?? editor has been at work here. Perhaps trying to intergrate a bit of cross-media story into this book. I wonder if authors were given a few suggestions from the MMORPG's, perhaps a roundtable discussion?

This is just an observation and not necessarily a bad thing. It's not wrong, just different.

#7 Anvilborn

Anvilborn

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:03 AM

Rinn Zylra has got it right, the latest Thanquol novel is a must read for Dawi fans :yes:

the actual design of the automated gun in the trailer is based on a Da Vinci design IIRC...Da Vinci must have been a Dawi with his love of machinery :buba:

as for rules for such a weapon...possibly swap Master Engineer's entrenchment ability for one of these automated guns...fires the first time the WM its defending is charged by the enemy (ie one shot weapon)...essentially a Stand & Shoot response to being charged...number of shots = to artillery dice roll & strentgh 4 w/ armour piecing (ie handgun stat as it looks like handgun sized barrels as opposed to organ gun sized)

#8 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:41 AM

I've read about automated war machines protecting holds in a number of fluff spaces, I don't think this is a new literary invention. I may be wrong, but I thought they were part of the early warning systems the holds such as Everpeak have. I may also be imagining this though, will try to remember a proper reference...

#9 Alaric Ironaxe

Alaric Ironaxe

White Dwarf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts
Contributor

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:34 AM

still dont like i. automated warmachines are way to adavanced for a medieval fantasy world...

#10 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:57 AM

still dont like i. automated warmachines are way to adavanced for a medieval fantasy world...

Steam tanks?
Gyrocopters?

#11 Anvilborn

Anvilborn

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:25 PM

dont know about medieval...Empire is closer to renaissance period when u look at the blackpowder weapons they use...plus its a fantasy setting with magic and daemons, dwarf zepellins and the various maniacal contraptions of the Skaven....dont think its too much of a stretch to have an 'automated' gun...

although i would suggest the gun in the tralier would actually need a Dawi to trigger it and then it clicks around firing each barrel on a clockwork-timed sequence...

but hey, we all like different things about the game/fluff...each to their own :)

#12 Shuyin7432

Shuyin7432

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:13 PM

Also dwarf ironclads, and submarines, but thanxs for the tips, i might try and see if i can proxy and then add them to my friends campaigns if they allow it, playtest them and get back to you.

Edited by Shuyin7432, 16 November 2011 - 03:13 PM.

#13 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:19 PM

Would make nice unit fillers if nothing else :)

#14 Anvilborn

Anvilborn

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:46 AM

Also dwarf ironclads, and submarines, but thanxs for the tips, i might try and see if i can proxy and then add them to my friends campaigns if they allow it, playtest them and get back to you.

good luck with the playtesting...will be very interested to see how it works out...maybe playtest in standalone games first against the campaign organisers so they see it in action before they decide to approve their use :)

and good luck with the campaigns as well :)

#15 Alaric Ironaxe

Alaric Ironaxe

White Dwarf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts
Contributor

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:17 PM

Steam tanks?
Gyrocopters?

those require a driver. and steam engines aren't to advanced...but to make something automated without magic?? thats tech way to advanced for a medieval world unlike a steam engine.

#16 Stewar

Stewar

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:10 PM

i think wut alaric is sayin is that an unmaned turret need a set of laser sensors and such to aim as a person would, and that is indeed out of fluff.

but as I see the artifact in the video, could be just an automated machinegun that fires cuntinuosly in a straight line, powered most probably by a spring mechanism.

#17 Tah Kazak Rik

Tah Kazak Rik

Scion of Grimnir

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,161 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:35 PM

I agree with what Stewar said.

Actually if you think about it, it is not all that much advanced, or at least it wouldnt have to be.

All The Engineer would have to do is light a fuse, set a trigger, and then the gun would spin in place as it rotated barrels through a gear system. Bullets would fire in a pre-set angle and direction.

And once it ran out, all it the Engineer would have to do is reset the fuse, bullets, and trigger.

And its much more of the same tech as Gyros or Steam Tanks.

In fact I was going to make a unit of like turrets to represent Thunderers.

#18 Shuyin7432

Shuyin7432

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:35 PM

We have all got together and came up with two options.

Option 1:
Automated rifle
Fire Arc 90 degrees i.e 315* to 45*
30" S3 AP1 -3 to hit
25" S3 AP1 -2 to hit
20" S3 AP1 -1 to hit
15" S4 AP1 - Normal
10" 2xS4 AP2 - +1 to hit
5" 3xS4 AP2 - +2 to hit

The rifle operates at the engineer/master engineers balistic skill but with the above modifiers

The shorter the range the more accurate, and stronger it is. At close range similar to grapeshot from a cannon.

Option 2:
One use only: 2D6 shots @ 12" S4 BS4 AP1

Edited by Shuyin7432, 17 November 2011 - 11:37 PM.

#19 Anvilborn

Anvilborn

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:52 AM

i prefer option 2...what about points cost?

#20 Tah Kazak Rik

Tah Kazak Rik

Scion of Grimnir

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,161 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:51 PM

Yeah the one use only option would work best.

Cheers!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Auto, Dwarf, Weapons, Guns, Engineer, Upgrade, rune

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users