42 replies to this topic

#21 Darkblade

Darkblade

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:20 AM

They're looking really good, not sure about the helmets though. It's nice to see a bit of variation in colour on the rocky bases too and a lovley movement tray really finishes the look off, well done.

#22 Anvilborn

Anvilborn

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:00 AM

thanks for the kind words :)

Darkblade - the helmets were an experiment...the original idea was for standard metallic colours for the helms but i figured i wanted them to stand out a little as the other colours (ie grey clothing/armour/gun) were all fairly dull colours...it lets me see how it works as an idea for future units, not sure i will repeat that on other units but it definitely makes these Dawi stand out :)

#23 Kegtapper

Kegtapper

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:45 AM

Wow, that gatling gun is absolutely amazing; I'm positively dwarfish with envy.

I'll add my condolences for the loss of your artillery. When you pour as much of yourself as we do into our armies, their theft isn't just the loss of stuff, it's a tiny piece of your soul.

#24 Anvilborn

Anvilborn

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:33 AM

Wow, that gatling gun is absolutely amazing; I'm positively dwarfish with envy.

I'll add my condolences for the loss of your artillery. When you pour as much of yourself as we do into our armies, their theft isn't just the loss of stuff, it's a tiny piece of your soul.

cheers for the kind words :drinks:

dont be envious, just have a cleansing ale and enjoy, i am sure there is some awesome stuff in ur collection as well that i would drool over :)

Edited by Anvilborn, 30 November 2011 - 03:35 AM.

#25 Darkblade

Darkblade

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:03 PM

thanks for the kind words :)

Darkblade - the helmets were an experiment...the original idea was for standard metallic colours for the helms but i figured i wanted them to stand out a little as the other colours (ie grey clothing/armour/gun) were all fairly dull colours...it lets me see how it works as an idea for future units, not sure i will repeat that on other units but it definitely makes these Dawi stand out :)

At least try a test model as your metallics i.e. the gatling gun look really good. If you did the same method to the helmets, keeping the red trims they'll look a bit better that way because the silver will be a similar tone to the grey cloth and it'll bring cohesion. They won't look dull at all because the red is quite vibrant and stands out.

This is just my opinion, you can always say no and stick to what you prefer of course, there's nothing wrong with that.

Good luck!

#26 Oridur

Oridur

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:18 AM

Hey, they are Thunderers! What's not to like? Nice job. I am in the middle of painting my first 10 plastic thunderers too.
I reall, really hate plastic. It just doesn't hold the paint well, even with a good priming.

#27 Anvilborn

Anvilborn

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:49 AM

At least try a test model as your metallics i.e. the gatling gun look really good. If you did the same method to the helmets, keeping the red trims they'll look a bit better that way because the silver will be a similar tone to the grey cloth and it'll bring cohesion. They won't look dull at all because the red is quite vibrant and stands out.

This is just my opinion, you can always say no and stick to what you prefer of course, there's nothing wrong with that.

Good luck!

hmmm i like ur suggestion about silver helmet with red trim...will do up a test model over the weekend if i get the chance and post up a pic of it....

#28 Anvilborn

Anvilborn

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:52 PM

been too long since i added anything here...hit a block with the thunderers...5 left to do for the unit of 20...also last month i entered the monthly painting comp for the first time which cut into my painting time (Dawi have to compete with EPIC/BB/Tomorrow's War/BT for painting time)...

finished up my Flint Churnblade star player for use with my Dwarf BB teams...

Posted Image
Posted Image

#29 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:58 PM

Runes on the Chainsaw are a very nice touch!

#30 Anvilborn

Anvilborn

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:28 PM

i am sure u would be disgusted to know that the decals i used for the runes are actually from an Eldar Vehicle Transfer Sheet...if only someone did a good set of decals for dwarfs...that would make my day...

#31 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:46 PM

i am sure u would be disgusted to know that the decals i used for the runes are actually from an Eldar Vehicle Transfer Sheet...if only someone did a good set of decals for dwarfs...that would make my day...

I guessed that might be the case ;) They don't look out of place though and almost look like a chain weapon glyph. I think it was a good choice in lieu of proper Dawi ones :)

#32 Anvilborn

Anvilborn

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:50 PM

hmmm...this has me thinking...might have to see if Fighting Piranha Graphics can do some custom decals for me...designing them & not screwing with IP will be the hassle...

#33 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:21 PM

hmmm...this has me thinking...might have to see if Fighting Piranha Graphics can do some custom decals for me...designing them & not screwing with IP will be the hassle...

Can't any printing company do transfer sheets for you? Just give the the design and they'll create a sheet. I'm sure somebody told me that was a possibility...

If so, it's no worse than photocopying templates. They're to be used for your army and your GW games.

#34 Anvilborn

Anvilborn

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:00 PM

Finally finished my thunderer unit....really suck at painting units, seems to take forever :D

Posted Image

#35 Anvilborn

Anvilborn

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:54 PM

test model finished for HNK Hasici =1994=...my blood bowl team for an upcoming Sand Groper VI BB tournament here in Perth...

no number on the base at this stage as not sure which spot he will take up on the roster...and in homage to my first SG team, the Lombokk Lai'D'Bois, i even mixed in a little gold flock into the flock used on the base...

Posted Image

slayer from the Lai'D'Bois - sadly this team was stolen from my car several months ago...ppl kept complaining about the cleavage staring at them...

Posted Image

#36 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:03 PM

Complaining?!

#37 Anvilborn

Anvilborn

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:11 PM

yeah it was distracting them from the game...and really do u want to be staring at the cleavage of sexually confused dwarfs :)

one problem with the team...the gold flock bases were giving me a headache on the second day of the first tournament i used them...too shiny under the venue lights, waaay too shiny!

the slayer mini is from the Shadowforge female dwarf BB team...aussie company that only does female figs...the female orc BB team is all kinds of wrong! plus he does a range of fantasy/sci-fi/anime/BB figs as well...highly recommend ppl check them out....

Edited by Anvilborn, 28 February 2012 - 03:14 PM.

#38 Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Kro'undi

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,841 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:13 PM

First, I love the gatlin gun! Now in the one picture you have both pieces side by side. Are they to scale? If so then the "tank" is too small. Do the guns rotate or can all 3 fire at once? If so, recoil needs to be brought into play as well. Then there is the storage problem, wont hold much in ammunition. Need to think bigger! (plus you need room for your engine.) Overall, great job!

Its obviously a remote controlled tank, filled with ammo and space behind for recoil, while the hole in the front is a vent. :yes3:

#39 HEAD HUNTER STORE

HEAD HUNTER STORE

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:38 PM

LOVE the use of DA parts on the warmachines...I have a few sprues of that stuff.... consider this STOLEN!!

props!

-D

#40 Anvilborn

Anvilborn

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:41 PM

okay, time to add the rest of my BB team i took to THE local BB tourney (actually now one of the biggest in Aus which is pretty good for the most isolated city in the world)...

The Blockers (used original Dungeonbowl dwarfs)
Posted Image

The Runners (one from Impact and the other a 1st ed Dwarf BB player)
Posted ImagePosted Image

The Blitzers (OOP Longbeards)
Posted Image

Trollslayers (Bearded Ladies from the Vampyre Wars range)
Posted Image

Musician and Touchdown Marker
Posted ImagePosted Image

Reroll Markers
Posted Image

The team with the trophies I picked up at the tourney...
Posted Image

Pic from one of the games - an elf in a very bad place :dwarf:
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Custom artillery, Thunderers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users