Photo

Why Do People Pay So Much For Oop Minis?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Dwarf

Blue Dwarf

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:11 PM

I've been trying to collect a few of the oop minis that I remember from back when I first found warhammer but some of them are selling for upwards of £20 for one model! Does anybody else think this is absolute madness?

Grumble grumble

#2 Ok Okri

Ok Okri

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:23 PM

Yes and no. I also collect oop minis from the Marauder line - those that I began playing with in the early 90's. For a long time I restricted my purchasing to £1 per model, and amassed most of the models missing from my collection. Now I am nearing completion I am finding I have to pay more to get hold of those last few models. Prices have gone up a lot over the past couple of years, and I expect the oop armies and collectors here have had a big influence on that. I certainly see minis going for values now that I could have got for a fraction of the price just a few years ago. I still kick myself for letting traders outbid me on several ebay lots which would now fetch 5-6 times the price!

There are models that go for crazy prices (I once saw a poorly painted 4th ed flame cannon go for £70), but there are also great bargains to be had (the legendary multi-gimbrin finehelm lot). I put a ceiling on my spending to avoid over paying for things, and still get good deals: you just have to be patient and keep an eye out for them.

#3 Blue Dwarf

Blue Dwarf

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:49 PM

I have managed to get a few that I wanted for as little as 99p and have a limit of 5-6 quid if I really want them. The problem is I kbow I didn't sell the ones I originally had years ago, I just don't know where they are! One of the ones from my original collection I saw go for $30 over the weekend :(

#4 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,014 posts
Contributor

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:52 PM

They're going for silly money, but, they were never really that cheap in the first place. 20 odd years ago, they were £4-5 for 3-4 minis. If you're lucky, you can get that for them now! It's not so bad as we think, we're just paying what they're worth rather than flea market prices. Current GW hero models go for £8-10 in the shops. That's way over my budget limits for minis.

I don't spend more than £3 as a general rule of thumb. But, the popular ones sold seperately will fetch a lot as we'd all like one.

#5 Alurik

Alurik

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:16 PM

honestly! the best place to buy OOP minis here in the states sometimes is rouge trader comic stores :) i found a lot and i do mean a whole entire wall of dwarf oop minis back in 2006 at pegusus games in wichita falls texas when i was stationed there with the military.

then i made it a habit to check out comic stores in the local area i go to for business these days to check out of i can find any rare finds! for instance just recently i went to mind games in utah and payed 40% off on old metal miniatures!

im just saying! sometimes ebay is good! but if you can find em in store... sometimes the bidding war just isnt worth it :)

FYI our local gaming store as a bargain bin and bitz box... and you can find just some amazing mini's in that! down to beyond 4th edition just because people traded them in years ago!

#6 Grabgold Thunderbeard

Grabgold Thunderbeard

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:07 PM

They're going for silly money, but, they were never really that cheap in the first place. 20 odd years ago, they were £4-5 for 3-4 minis. If you're lucky, you can get that for them now! It's not so bad as we think, we're just paying what they're worth rather than flea market prices. Current GW hero models go for £8-10 in the shops. That's way over my budget limits for minis.

I don't spend more than £3 as a general rule of thumb. But, the popular ones sold seperately will fetch a lot as we'd all like one.

Yeah gotta agree with you AB, the prices GW charge for new models are often WAY more than OOP models so the prices aren't really that bad in my opinion.

#7 Eboric

Eboric

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:24 PM

I don't mind the prices too much but I can see where some prices are quite high, recently bidding on a few oop models and they were going for about £6 each which I'm just not going to pay. It's a shame, I like the sound of independent retailers but you don't get too many of those here in the UK that have bargains like that. I do like the oop models, so I will probably keep paying for them. Just need to sell my Ogre Kingdoms army first to keep up the funding. :P

#8 Grabgold Thunderbeard

Grabgold Thunderbeard

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:36 PM

I don't mind the prices too much but I can see where some prices are quite high, recently bidding on a few oop models and they were going for about £6 each which I'm just not going to pay. It's a shame, I like the sound of independent retailers but you don't get too many of those here in the UK that have bargains like that. I do like the oop models, so I will probably keep paying for them. Just need to sell my Ogre Kingdoms army first to keep up the funding. :P

Yes 6pounds seems a lot, but bear in mind that new single models on GW website are currently selling for 8GBP+. The BSB is 10.5GBP. Now that is a lot. And the models are nowhere near as cool as the old marauder ones.

#9 Dirken Thorn

Dirken Thorn

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:38 PM

The price spike is mainly because of us 30-50 year olds that loved the minis when we were younger but didn't quite have the cash for them. Now that we're older and feeling nostalgic about our childhood hobby (and have money!), we are buying up all the remaining metal at an alarming rate haha.

#10 Bearded Lizard

Bearded Lizard

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:56 PM

What are these crazy units of "p", squid and pence? OOP minis tend to go for a premium here in the states, however, judicious use of esnipe and ebay can win some great deals.

#11 Dwarf Lord Patrick

Dwarf Lord Patrick

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:47 PM

They do go for silly money on Ebay, but I think there's a lot of sentimental value with the old figs.

Personally, a good majority of my army is made up from the old 4th and 5th edition models and I take great joy in the fact that is is almost all lead and pewter. There's just something "Dwarf Like" when you have a metal army that stands out over the newer Finecast and plastic models. : )

Also, bear in mind that a lot of people don't really like the new Finecast stuff, so it has increased the value of the older figs by that much more.

#12 Oridur

Oridur

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:01 AM

Depends on the year, the deatil can be great or poor. I personally think they paint & look better too. I try to get all the metal ones I can. I refuse to go "crazy" though.
I have a set value in my mind and know how much I am willing to pay. Sometimes really rare ones may be worth a little more. BUT, I also feel some people are just being crazy/greedy.
These guys need new homes, right? I guess it is the yard sale mentality vs. a real "auction" and getting all you can.
And as I've said before, plastic sucks!

#13 Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Kro'undi

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,344 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:47 AM

OOP prices are subject to the econimic rules of supply and demand, and being a limited resource prices can rise and fall mainly depending on GW. If GW made some nice miniatures OOP prices would fall as people would want those, but then if GW turned up the price the price of OOP would go up too as people would start hunting for them instead. Finally the other factor is rarity, some oop dwarfs are rarer than others....for example as comparison an oop marunder ranger is fairly common, while the dwarf mounted on a pony is more or less worth its weight in gold as its so rare.

#14 kgkid

kgkid

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:17 AM

I believe people answered your question. I agree with Bonecrusher the most. The price of OOP is determined by people ready to pay for them. It is a measure of quality in a way. You could have the rarest model in the world, but if no one wants it, it will cost nothing.

On the other hand I find it absolute madness to have a unit of 5 Bloodknights costing more then 60 pounds, or 3 Ushabti for 40 euro! Those are still in production, not a rare commodity... There's more but I wouldn't clog the thread.

I might be wrong... :guinesssmilie:

#15 popevaderii

popevaderii

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:04 PM

I and the people I play with buy OOP Dwarfs (plus other miniatures) because of nostalgia and they're, in our eyes, what miniatures should look like. The sculpts crafted our tastes dwarfs, elves, chaos warriors…also (except for a few extreme cases) they are cheaper than new GW figures!

Interesting to hear that Dwarfs on ponies are like gold dust (hunts out 1980’s GW ‘Gimli on Pony’)

#16 Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Kro'undi

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,344 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:40 PM

Interesting to hear that Dwarfs on ponies are like gold dust (hunts out 1980’s GW ‘Gimli on Pony’)

I was thinking more along the lines of the marauder dwarf on pony, on which WK has based some of his models on.

#17 popevaderii

popevaderii

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:48 PM

Never realised there was a Marauder Dwarf on Pony! Does anyone have a picture of it?

#18 Captn Morgrim

Captn Morgrim

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts
Contributor

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:35 PM

Popevaderii, take a look at White Knight's gallery. He not only has those from his miniature line, but also the orginial one!

As for old minis, I never got my hand on a few Marauder Dwarves that i liked. When GW switched from pewter to white metal in the 1990s, my gaming group and I back then placed a huge order with GW to get everything cheap(er) before the prices went up. My 2 Dwarf armies - both Pirate and Imperial - are based on that order. Methinks I got most of them painted, only around 4 Slayers, 8 Rangers and some heroes and special characters left over from those years.
The rest of my old style stuff were presents from friends' bitz boxes and a few lucky finds in a local store, while my collection contains only 1 unit made mostly of 6th and 7th edition each (Miners and converted SkullPass Warriors.)

Question to the Marauder fans: Weren't ye as outraged as me when GW introduced the new 5th cannon and organ gun? I didn't mind the StoneThrower or the Ballista, but replacing the legendary Siege Gun was puzre heresy!

Cheers,

Captn M.

#19 Alurik

Alurik

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:46 PM

to be honest the only thing i like about the oop models was the ability to have a regiment in a bunch of different dynamic poses instead of just one post and variance of a couple jewels here or there. i have about 5 5th edition box sets still in plastic of dwarf warriors because what i have done over the rears is open a box and convert the hell out of the warriors with green stuff to make the regimens to what i enjoy.

but i do miss alot of the funny poses not just in the dwarf line but i have a snotling and a nightgoblin flipping the bird from the old marauder line! that right there is worth its weight in ale

#20 Bearded Lizard

Bearded Lizard

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:47 PM

One more thing...I for one would rather pay some serious gold for OOP metal that what is likely on the horizon; Dwarves that are not forged out of stone or metal...but Fine Cast, is too horrible a fate to consider.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users