• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 peetam

peetam

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 02:38 PM

Hello, I'm planning on buying a dwarf army. But before spending my mony on models, I'd like to know your opinion about my list.

Throng of Karak Norn - 1998

Lord's - 301

Dwarf Lord - 301
GW
MRo Smiting
MRo Swiftness
Ro Brotherhood
Ro Warding
Schield bearers

Hero's - 307

Thane - 155
BSB
Ro Resistance
Ro Furnace
Ro Brotherhood
Oath Stone

Runesmith - 147
Shield
MRo Balance
Ro Spellbreaking

Core - 520

20 Longbeards - 305
Greatweapons
Rangers
Full Command

15 Thunderers - 215
Musician

Special - 750

Cannon - 125
Ro Forging

Cannon - 130
Ro Forging
Ro burning

Bolt Thrower - 85
Engeneer
Ro Penatrating

Bolt Thrower - 90
Engeneer
Ro Penatrating
Ro burning

Gruge Trower - 170
Engeneer
Ro Penatrating 3
Gruge Trower - 80
Engeneer
Ro Penatrating 2
Ro Burning

Rare - 120

Organ Gun - 120

My idea for tactics is basicly to place my scouting longbeards with the lord and thane infront of the oponet's general becouse its mainly a lord killer, If the General is Exalted i would place them infront of the meanest ranged unit instead. Having my Thunders and BT's shoot at small blocks of infantry and light cavalry. The cannon's take care of big beasties and join the GT's killing of the big blocks when their job is done. This leaves the OG with Skirmish units.

Thare is room for change since I have no models yet. And let me know if you have found a flaw in my plan

#2 Drokar

Drokar

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 07:51 PM

hmm i'm no pro at this but you might want to drop the Lord and bolt throwers. and get atleast a unit or 2, with GW's 30 men strong +- cause you dont have anything to buffer attacks if the even get close.

#3 peetam

peetam

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:16 PM

Yes i thought melee combat would get a bit of a soft spot in this army, since i have just one unit of 20 longbeards. Yet i estimate that my ranged should cover this loss. I thought of taking a bigger unit an throw in an oath-stone so thay couldn't get around it. I'l take your advice to get rid of my BT's to file some more longbeards that should get me around 30isch.

#4 peetam

peetam

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:18 PM

Ill keep this lord though sice i was planing vs WoC and thay will never refuse his challange

#5 Ok Okri

Ok Okri

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:59 AM

Sorry, but there are a lot of issues with this - you really need to check the rule book.

Lord's - 301

Dwarf Lord - 301
GW
MRo Smiting
MRo Swiftness
Ro Brotherhood
Ro Warding
Schield bearers

You cannot have multiple master runes on a single item. Neither can you use brotherhood with shieldbearers. By putting runes on a great weapon you also lose all the characteristics of a great weapon, so this is pointless. If you want a lord give him a 1+ re-rollable armoursave and immunity to killing blow and poison, and a great weapon, OR kit him out to kill (and be careful what you run him into!). My opinion is that the same points invested in GW troops is more efficient.

Thane - 155
BSB
Ro Resistance
Ro Furnace
Ro Brotherhood
Oath Stone

The oath stone is an awful idea. You cannot put this guy in a unit with any other characters, and means the BSB cannot decline challenges. Since he has very little defence he will die quickly. You cannot use brotherhood with an oath stone. Generally you want to give this guy a 1+ re-rollable armoursave at minimum.

20 Longbeards - 305
Greatweapons
Rangers
Full Command

A unit of 20 is not going to retain combat effectiveness for very long. As your only combat block you do not stand a chance, especially with your plan to ram this unit in your opponents face on T1. They will kill it, and mop up your war machines. The unit needs to be bigger, and you need more of them.

15 Thunderers - 215
Musician

Thunderers are not great. Relatively short range combined with no move & fire means they can struggle to keep a target. Organ guns are widely considered to do a better job. The only benefit of thunderers is in combat, but only against small/weak units. As your 2nd troop unit they will be of little use in this area.

Bolt Thrower - 85

Bolt throwers are much less useful than they used to be given the ammount of 'to hit' modifiers around. These will not do enough to whittle down enemy units. A single cannon is better than a pair of BT's.

Gruge Trower - 170
Grudge throwers should always have rune of accuracy - this is a major strength for the dwarfs.

Everything else is in the list is ok.

Even once you have made the list legal, I can see it struggling. You have too many points in characters at this level, and not enough combat potential. I can see the war machines getting picked off easily by fliers, cav, and tunnellers. I can see the LB's quickly losing nubers and not being combat effective. I see the BSB being picked off easily, leaving your Lord all alone on the battlefield.

#6 peetam

peetam

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:52 AM

O_O ai... I didn't knew my list was so messed up. Thanks for opening my eyes about this. I would have never thought that having this much warmachines would be such a downside. About the GT in my mind the engeneers took away the problem of misfirering so i thought of rune of accuracy as over kill. Annyway I read The rule again and it would give me only giving me a more precice placement of the template (Going from 10" to 6" of target), jet it could also mean i roll a missfire wich i cannot re-roll.

Of cours i'm new to this and dont know how things will packout at the field.

#7 peetam

peetam

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:57 AM

I have revamped my list a bit, I've gotten rid of my lord, BT's and Thunderers. Hired more infantry inclueding hammerers and warriors and filed one more OG. I think this is looking more balanced (tell me if its not).

Throng of Karak Durn II - 1997

Hero's - 307

Thane - 160
Battle Standard Bearer
Ro Resistance
MRo Gromril
Ro Preservation
Ro Furnace

Runesmith - 147
Sheild
MRo Balance
Ro Spellbreaking

Core - 740

30 Warriors - 325
GW
FC

30 Longbeards - 415
GW
FC

Special - 710

20 Hammerers - 300
Ro Guarding
FC

Cannon - 125
Ro Forging

Cannon - 130
Ro Forging
Ro burning

Gruge Trower - 155
Ro penatrating 2
Ro accuracy

Rare - 240

Organ Gun - 120
Organ Gun - 120

#8 peetam

peetam

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:30 PM

I would like to know if this list is solid now or still needs more work...

#9 David L

David L

White Dwarf

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:36 PM

Rune of Guarding is BSB only, so get it off the Hammerers. Did you mean MRoGrungi?

Otherwise the list is legal and should do okay. You will be pretty dependent upon the artillery, and don't expect your blocks to survive several rounds of combat. They are large enough to spend a couple rounds of combat finishing things that are already hurt, but they aren't big enough to grind out a big or powerful enemy.

#10 peetam

peetam

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 03:44 PM

I made a mistake on Rune of Guarding thought i could use it.
I'll add the minor changes to it on my own. I don't think its nesserey to to pos that here.
Further more thanks for the help, think that wraps it up.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: WM, warmachine, 2k, 2000, peetam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users