546 replies to this topic

#41 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:50 AM

a little bit of progress, but the pictures are even worse than before, need to figure this picture taking out, they look a little bit better in Reality, as allways please leave comments and suggestions :) :

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cheers T

Edited by Theatralic, 15 May 2012 - 11:11 AM.

#42 Fanai Glimmerclaw

Fanai Glimmerclaw

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:56 AM

wow I love those 'chromed" helmets

#43 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

The helmets are super shiny indeed!

Some nice painting here, I hope you're pleased with what you've done? :)

Edited by Alebelly_Cragfist, 16 May 2012 - 09:08 AM.

#44 Lord Ravenhelm

Lord Ravenhelm

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:51 PM

Great stuff! Your army reminds me a lot of a Viking book I've read recently. :)

Lord Ravenhelm

#45 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:37 PM

wow I love those 'chromed" helmets

The helmets are super shiny indeed!

No proper Dwarf should go to war without proper (and fashionable) Headprotection ;D

I hope your pleased with what you've done?

Thats actually a really good question :D , I am kinda proud because I am painting Dwarfs after quiete a while and I think I am on the right way, but there is still much to learn :). I learned alot in this one year just from reading and looking at the different armies here on his site, now I am trying to find the right compromiss between looks and speed.

Things I am not happy with:
-Need to work cleaner
-I have great problems with colordepth and painting highlights on the right places
- My beards look kinda boring but I don`t want to use a wash
-Pictures are crappy

-and I need a good how tto on painting gold

Great stuff! Your army reminds me a lot of a Viking book I've read recently. :)

Thats really great to hear, because that was something I was aming for, sadly I dont have enough norsedwarfkind miniatures for a whole unit, I have to mix all styles, but I will finally be able to field one or two all metal warrior units.

By the way, what was the name of the book? was it good? allways looking for good books on that subject. ( funny an african heritage boy who is a viking fan :D )

Thanks goes out to you guys, I learned alot from you, two many names to give all credits for stolen Ideas ;D!!!

And please dont stop watching by this place, comments are pure motivation ;P

Edited by Theatralic, 15 May 2012 - 11:50 PM.

#46 Drakkol

Drakkol

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:34 AM

I like them! Old and well painted...what could be better?

#47 Lord Ravenhelm

Lord Ravenhelm

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:04 AM

Everybody loves Vikings. :dwarf:
And the book I've read is the last one in the series "The Saxon stories", by Bernard Cornwell. I would recommend the books to you, they serve as a great insight in Viking culture, religion, customs and wars.

Lord Ravenhelm

#48 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:11 AM

Why the wash hate? They're a really handy way to add depth and richness to your painting :)

#49 Grungnaz

Grungnaz

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:33 AM

What colour do you use for your green parts? I like them my own seems a bit to green.

#50 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:14 PM

So, this is how I do my golds. It's pretty simple.

50/50 Scorched Brown and Shining Gold

Layer with shining gold, leaving the first layer in the recesses.

From here, I can either do another highlight with Burnished Gold if I want a briter look.

Either way, I do a little edge highlighting with mithril silver. Works out great.

Edited by Montegue, 16 May 2012 - 01:15 PM.

#51 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:09 PM

@Drakkol thank you, I hope I will get my hands on one of your dwarfs so I can add him to the Throng :)
@ Lord Ravenhelm, You are the second one this week to recommend them to me! Thank you, now I will ceratinly have a look

Why the wash hate? They're a really handy way to add depth and richness to your painting :)

Don`t get me wrong, I can`t live without them anymore, they are one of the greatest things ever invented :D (what would I do without Devlan Mud ?!). Its just that I am not sure if using washes especially at the brighter beards would make things better...

@ Monteague , thank you, I will have a try

I like the method Albelly used on his gold for his hammerers but it looks like Hell of a work and I am not sure if I will get it right.

Edited by Theatralic, 16 May 2012 - 04:46 PM.

#52 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:15 PM

Don`t get me wrong, I can`t live with[out] them anymore, they are one of the greatest things ever invented :D (what would I do without Devlan Mud ?!). Its just that I am not sure if using washes especially at the grighter beards would make things better...

Yes, yes they do. :) Switch to Gryphonne Sephia (or whatever the new wash is) for lighter beards, or a mix of that and Devlan Mud.

@ Monteague , thank you, I will have a try

I like the method Albelly used on his gold for his hammerers Ironbreakers but it looks like Hell of a work and I am not sure if I will get it right.

Yeah, my lack of blending skills means lots and lots of layers for me. It takes forever, but I like the depth that it brings.

#53 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:34 PM

Thanks for correcting my mistakes:D , too hasty. i will certainly will give it a try. And I will try to copy your gold on some models if its okay with you.

#54 Drakkol

Drakkol

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:22 PM

@Drakkol thank you, I hope I will get my hands on one of your dwarfs so I can add him to the Throng :)

Thanks, it's a pleasure to see you like it. I'll have to see if a model or two will remain after sending copies to people who "preordered" it. Unluckly it's a limited edition, i can't ask to cast more copies or I'll risk to have a complaint against me. :scare:

I hope you'll like next model i'll sculpt. I'll make it with no restrictions.

#55 Purplebeard

Purplebeard

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:09 PM

The figures look really good, even with your so-called 'poor' photographs. Using Microsoft Picture Manager, Photoshop, or GIMP, you could easily crop one or two of them a little, and adjust the brightness and midtones, and you would get really nice photos. Once you know what to do, its a 5-minute job (if that).

#56 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:33 PM

Thanks Purplebeard, I will play with the settings of the pictures. Its not the quality of the pictures, the problem for me is that its liek every fault is shown (which is okay with me, since it helps me to see them) but at the same time alot of colors and nuance seem to simply "disappear. For example the blond beard of the dwarf with the sword looks really bland on the picture, but in reality there is quite some Highlighting going on. But I am realizing that I sound like a whiner :D.

Thank you guys for commenting, without your kind words I probably would have give up allready, so I am off to painting, keep the momentum going :)

#57 Dwarven Pride

Dwarven Pride

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:31 PM

Looking great!
Love the colors
muted yet apropriet.
:)

#58 Vidpui

Vidpui

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:27 PM

Yeah, photos just adjust brightness and contrast and you be sorted. If you use photobucket you can use their photo editor.

#59 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:09 AM

Thanks guys for all your comments and hints, really appreciated.

Finished some new Warriors and I got the chance to play with the profi camera of my Girlfriends Mother, an awesome thing, but sadly I will be able to afford such a tool. at the same time its scary because it shows every flaw, many mistakes which need some corrections I didn`t even see before :D

But I have to admit: I am pretty proud of myself, never have I owned so many painted Dwarfs :paint2: :yes3: :drinks:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This guy I Testpainted with the new Citadelcolors and I have to say, they look different but I am pretty pleased! For example I like this skintone more than the old one.
Posted Image

As allways comments, hints etc. are welcome and appreciated.

Edited by Theatralic, 28 May 2012 - 11:17 AM.

#60 Snugg Thistlehammer

Snugg Thistlehammer

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:15 AM

Hey Theatralic! I like the muted colours you use; you do browns well and in the right variety to make it work (if that makes sense). I have one of those stilt dwarves sitting undercoated on my desk. It's been there for ages but I keep putting off painting it because for some strange reason I think it will be a pain in the arse to paint. Seeing yours though makes me more keen to start it! Maybe.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: defeating the slacker in me, oop, vintage, dwarf, army, blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users