• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 slicktyler

slicktyler

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:24 PM

So i got into an argument with a friend of mine who says Warhammer and Wh40k is rock solid and never changes. I disagreed with him but I am having trouble remembering all of the changes. I pointed out the big one of the Warhammer Fantasy world at one time being in the Eye of Terror but I could use some more help.

#2 Gen. Rifulas Drakere

Gen. Rifulas Drakere

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:34 PM

Eye of Terror was actually a Warhammer 40k timeline event, Abbadon's 13th Black Crusade. The Eye of Terror itself is a place in galaxy of Slaanesh's birth which ripped a hole between reality and the Warp. The main lore changes I can think of are probably the Storm of Chaos and the contest for Albion (Forget that campaign's name..). There was also the Nemesis Crown but unsure really how much that counts for since it seemed to me to be more of a dispute/minor fight that broke out over Dwarfs seeking to keep a dark part of their history hidden and locked up.

#3 slicktyler

slicktyler

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:41 PM

Eye of Terror was actually a Warhammer 40k timeline event, Abbadon's 13th Black Crusade. The Eye of Terror itself is a place in galaxy of Slaanesh's birth which ripped a hole between reality and the Warp. The main lore changes I can think of are probably the Storm of Chaos and the contest for Albion (Forget that campaign's name..). There was also the Nemesis Crown but unsure really how much that counts for since it seemed to me to be more of a dispute/minor fight that broke out over Dwarfs seeking to keep a dark part of their history hidden and locked up.

what i'm talking about is the Warhammer Fantasy world used to be a planet in the eye of terror and Warhammer fantasy actually took place during the same time as Wh40k Bascilly the Old World was a planet that was part of the imperium but was cut off due to the eye of terror. They have since changed this. Thats the kind of lore changes I am talking about.
http://deletionpedia...e=Eye_of_Terror

Edited by slicktyler, 10 September 2011 - 02:42 PM.

#4 The Low King

The Low King

Grundadum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 03:21 PM

and that sigmar was a space marine.....

#5 Kallstrom

Kallstrom

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 04:49 PM

I think we had a topic like this a while back, search around for it and see if you can find it. ;)

#6 slicktyler

slicktyler

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:33 PM

hmm couldn't find anything all I could find was a topic talking about how it constantly changed but no specific details.

#7 Dargon

Dargon

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:23 PM

Warhammer is constantly changing with every new armybook. The biggest change over the years has perhaps been the introduction of the Lizardmen in 5th Edition. Beforehand they had barely been a footnote, but with their introduction in 5th Edition they became the most important race in the Warhammer World.

Other changes have been more subtle, but no less important...
* Bretonnians - went from a bunch of mercenaries in 3rd/4th Edition, to the shining knights of infinite virtue in 5th Edition, to the pompous and hipocritical knights who seek glory at the expense of those they protect in 6th Edition.
* Wood Elves - became the Asrai, absorbed into the greater ecosystem of Athel Loren, which itself became a much more sinister and potentially sentient being in it's own right.
* Dwarfs - have shunned the use of wood and lost Hold after Hold after Hold with every new armybook. 4 new Dwarf Holds were invented for the Daemons to smash through on their way to Karaz-A-Karak during the first great Chaos Incursion. the northern Dwarf Hold of Kraka Drak supposedly fell to a Chaos Champion. Most recently 3 more new fallen Dwarf Holds have apparently been added for the Ogre Kingdoms scorecard.
* Chaos - the first great Chaos incursion, that once involved Deamons, Beasts and Mortals in equal measure, was changed to be a Daemons-only invasion. With the introduction of the Slann to Warhammer, the Lizardmen took the brunt of the assault, where formerly only the Elves and Dwarfs stood strong against the tide.
* Ogres - went from being a disparate collection of random mercenary creatures, to a fully fledged civilisation with their own domain, unique creatures and ecosystem, and new species of Goblinoid introduced to serve them (in every sense of the word).
* Vampires - with the seperation of the Undead into Vampires and Tomb Kings, we were introduced to distinct Vampire Bloodlines in late 5th edition, each with their own unique abilities and methods of rule/survival.
* Tomb Kings - while their basic history remains unchanged, their unique ranks gained the addition of constructs - statues animated by the spirits of the dead.
* Dark Elves - gained a prophecy of Malekith's demise that saw most male sorcerers outlawed from the Druchii ranks.

The above list is far from complete, but a reasonable start.

Just a thought...

#8 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:31 PM

and that sigmar was a space marine.....

Lol, yeah, wasn't he explained away as one of the Emperors lost Primarchs? To be fair, lots of primarchs were originally on backwards worlds, but a stretch too far ;)

#9 slicktyler

slicktyler

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:51 PM

Warhammer is constantly changing with every new armybook. The biggest change over the years has perhaps been the introduction of the Lizardmen in 5th Edition. Beforehand they had barely been a footnote, but with their introduction in 5th Edition they became the most important race in the Warhammer World.

Other changes have been more subtle, but no less important...
* Bretonnians - went from a bunch of mercenaries in 3rd/4th Edition, to the shining knights of infinite virtue in 5th Edition, to the pompous and hipocritical knights who seek glory at the expense of those they protect in 6th Edition.
* Wood Elves - became the Asrai, absorbed into the greater ecosystem of Athel Loren, which itself became a much more sinister and potentially sentient being in it's own right.
* Dwarfs - have shunned the use of wood and lost Hold after Hold after Hold with every new armybook. 4 new Dwarf Holds were invented for the Daemons to smash through on their way to Karaz-A-Karak during the first great Chaos Incursion. the northern Dwarf Hold of Kraka Drak supposedly fell to a Chaos Champion. Most recently 3 more new fallen Dwarf Holds have apparently been added for the Ogre Kingdoms scorecard.
* Chaos - the first great Chaos incursion, that once involved Deamons, Beasts and Mortals in equal measure, was changed to be a Daemons-only invasion. With the introduction of the Slann to Warhammer, the Lizardmen took the brunt of the assault, where formerly only the Elves and Dwarfs stood strong against the tide.
* Ogres - went from being a disparate collection of random mercenary creatures, to a fully fledged civilisation with their own domain, unique creatures and ecosystem, and new species of Goblinoid introduced to serve them (in every sense of the word).
* Vampires - with the seperation of the Undead into Vampires and Tomb Kings, we were introduced to distinct Vampire Bloodlines in late 5th edition, each with their own unique abilities and methods of rule/survival.
* Tomb Kings - while their basic history remains unchanged, their unique ranks gained the addition of constructs - statues animated by the spirits of the dead.
* Dark Elves - gained a prophecy of Malekith's demise that saw most male sorcerers outlawed from the Druchii ranks.

The above list is far from complete, but a reasonable start.

Just a thought...

oh thank you so much that's what i'm talking about.

if anyone else wants to add to this it will be greatly appreciated.

#10 Sodder

Sodder

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:38 PM

Back in there days the fantasy world included reptiles such as: the Zoat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoat) and the Fimir (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fimir).. both are pretty much gone today, though the zoat is supposed to be mentioned somewhere in the Storm of Magic.

When looking at 40k the long gone Squads (http://en.wikipedia....rhammer_40,000)) springs to my mind....

Sodder

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users