#1 dazza36

dazza36

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:38 PM

Hi Everybody.

As you can probably guess from the title I’m new to all this so please bare with me. I’ve been looking thru the site for several months now and have finally taken the plunge and decided to post some of my dwarves that I’ve painted over the last couple of weeks, so please take a look and tell me what you think.So fingers crossed let try and post some pictures!!

dwarf6.jpg
dwarf18.jpg
dwarf10.jpg

Edited by dazza36, 07 May 2014 - 12:18 PM.

#2 Thorek's Apprentice

Thorek's Apprentice

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:28 PM

Very nice. I really like your color scheme. You are definately a top notch painter.

#3 Tah Kazak Rik

Tah Kazak Rik

Scion of Grimnir

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,152 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:29 PM

Very nice. I really like your color scheme. You are definately a top notch painter.

I agree, everything looks very nice.

The Color Scheme is certainly not the average dwarf colors, so great job!

#4 Stymie Jackson

Stymie Jackson

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:40 PM

Yellow is so very hard to do, and this is great coverage and depth on that color. The beards might need a bit of shading, but this is some great work on an awesome classic unit!

#5 Tah Kazak Rik

Tah Kazak Rik

Scion of Grimnir

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,152 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:43 PM

Yellow is so very hard to do, and this is great coverage and depth on that color. The beards might need a bit of shading, but this is some great work on an awesome classic unit!

Thats true. Yellow is extremely tricky, and I personaly avoid it, so bravo on a excellent yellow.

For the beards, I would throw on a Devilin Mud wash. Be very careful not to get the wash on anything else but the beards.

And that would make the whole unit look even more awesome!

#6 Vidpui

Vidpui

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:56 PM

great, mate. skins are nice. throw some wash on to the gold on the champions axe too. I'm using yellow and green too, so if you want to paint the rest of my army for me pm me :P Keep it up and get some more units painted soon!

P.S. Welcome to Bugmans!

Vidpui

#7 Goldo

Goldo

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:21 PM

Newbie or not you are a longbeard when it comes to painting.
Bravo! :clapping:

PS; Welcome mate :drinks:

#8 dazza36

dazza36

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:22 PM

wow thanks for the responses really appreciated.

Haven't finished painting the unit yet and the beards are still to be washed and highlighted.

Vidpui - having seen your army i really dont think you need any help, as for the metals its the photo i'm afraid. Painting a 28mm figure no problem getting a decent photo impossible !!!!

Lastly the secret to the yellow... vallejo model color dark flesh, trust me without that they wouldn't be yellow.

#9 Vintagephreak

Vintagephreak

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:00 AM

Brilliant mate, love the colour scheme. Well done on the yellow; subtle and effective. More pics demanded!

#10 dazza36

dazza36

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 04:33 AM

Here are a couple of other pictures i've taken. I think the slayer picture give a much better idea of how the metals on my figures look in real life, the champion is painted in the old colour scheme and as he's varnished will be staying that way so might stick my toe into the Ebay and see what i can get for him

Posted Image
Posted Image

Hope you like.

#11 Spawn Man

Spawn Man

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:31 AM

Wow, really nice stuff from a "newbie". ;) Like very much! :D

#12 dazza36

dazza36

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:04 PM

Ok so its the weekend and i've managed to take some more pictures of my dwarves, again not the best photo's but all i got is a window and a borrowed camera. But before the pictures i feel that i should clear something up with regard to the topic name 'Newbie' this was meant to refer to me joining and posting pictures for you all and not to my painting level sorry for any misunderstanding. I first started painting as most do in my teens then took a rather long break and got back into it about 2 years ago when i picked up a copy of white dwarf and decided to give the painting another go, but it was only when i realised that you could still get the classic metal dwarf on ebay that i really started to get into it again, so i've spent the last year or so biding on all those great old models until i have just under 200 now all i need is to find the time to paint them all!!!

So first off some of my rank an file and some of the shield design's for them :

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Next we have a real favourite of mine, not quite finished still needs some highlight and touching up :

Posted Image

And finally we have some more of my slayers, had some problems with these as they've been varnished so look rather shiny even tho i used a matt varnish but hope you like.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 rednorseman

rednorseman

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:56 PM

First off- welcome & please have a pint on my tab. The pics of your army are brilliant! Love these units. I agree with the others about your color scheme. It's striking & bold & you pull it off really well. I also really like the slayers and for that matter the older figure in the blue /white scheme (always been partial to that one myself). I think what I like best though are the shield designs you put together. These look great. I think shields can really pull a unit together and make it pop. The varying designs just make them that much more interesting. I may copy some of those for a future unit of mine if you don't mind. Finally, just noticed the checked pattern on themodel's neck -pretty sweet touch. Well done & welcome once again.

@everyone else- doesn't dazza's post make you wonder how many other great painters there are around here that lurk around unnoticed?

#14 dazza36

dazza36

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 07:12 PM

First off- welcome & please have a pint on my tab. The pics of your army are brilliant! Love these units. I agree with the others about your color scheme. It's striking & bold & you pull it off really well. I also really like the slayers and for that matter the older figure in the blue /white scheme (always been partial to that one myself). I think what I like best though are the shield designs you put together. These look great. I think shields can really pull a unit together and make it pop. The varying designs just make them that much more interesting. I may copy some of those for a future unit of mine if you don't mind. Finally, just noticed the checked pattern on themodel's neck -pretty sweet touch. Well done & welcome once again.

@everyone else- doesn't dazza's post make you wonder how many other great painters there are around here that lurk around unnoticed?

Thanks rednorseman- couldn't agree with you more about the shields especially when it comes to the old Regiments of Renown figures, given that they all have the same pose its the shield that can really make them stand out as individual characters and at the same time tie the unit together. All i got to do now is paint the 80 odd round dwarf shields for all my imperial/norse figures!!

#15 Darkblade

Darkblade

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:11 PM

At first when I saw the Dragon Company in green & yellow I thought nnnnnooooo!

But the closer I looked the more I thought yes!

You've done a great job there as they aren't the easiest to paint. I also like the the slayers, particularly the one with the eye-patch because of the incorporating the colour scheme. The gems on the dragon slayer made me very jealous, it's something I can never get to look right.
My only criticism is with the close ups on the trooper - the axe metal looks plain, there is no shadow around the rivets. On all the slayers you can see some great work there! Love the one with the tarnished look.

Get the Imperials done next!

This thread needs adding the vintage dwarf lovers now!

#16 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:27 PM

Liking the green and yellow, the shields are a really nice touch too. The Slayer with the eye patch is probably the only Marauder Dwarf I've never liked. No idea why... An eye patch should make him cool, but just not doing it :/

Dwarf Thane on pony is a great model though! Love the nose!

Yellow and green checks are a really nice touch for a RnF too. Nice skin tones also.

#17 Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Kro'undi

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,668 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:34 AM

i have to agree with Darkblade, when I saw teh dragon company were out of the traditional red it was almost a "Shouldn't be that colour, moan moan moan." but seeing the unit and the development of it I have to admit I am impressed. I do like the diversity of the shield designs, btw what shields did you use, at first glance they look like empire ones, but not sure if they are.

I'm less impressed b the pony dwarf but I think thats the sculpt more than your painting.

I do agree with others that beards need a bit of a wash, but you said they weren't finished so I'll let you go on that. What yellow and green did you use?

#18 Ok Okri

Ok Okri

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:49 AM

Excellent stuff. I agree with the others, your freehand work (checks, shields) is great. Loving the shields especially. Keep it up.

Edited by Ok Okri, 04 April 2011 - 09:50 AM.

#19 dazza36

dazza36

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:06 AM

i have to agree with Darkblade, when I saw teh dragon company were out of the traditional red it was almost a "Shouldn't be that colour, moan moan moan." but seeing the unit and the development of it I have to admit I am impressed. I do like the diversity of the shield designs, btw what shields did you use, at first glance they look like empire ones, but not sure if they are.

I'm less impressed b the pony dwarf but I think thats the sculpt more than your painting.

I do agree with others that beards need a bit of a wash, but you said they weren't finished so I'll let you go on that. What yellow and green did you use?

Bonecrusher - thanks for the comments.

Your probably right about the Gimli/pony model not the best, but it must be nearly 30 years old.

Your right about the shields just your standard GW empire with a small amount of putty to cover up the dent in the middle.
How i paint the yellow and green -
Yellow - base coat VMC dark flesh + VMC flat brown, then a couple of coats of watered down VMC dark flesh, then watered down VMC dark flesh + VMC flat yellow and finally i add a touch of VMC ivory for the final highlight.
Green - basecoat VMC medium olive green + VMC black grey, then watered VMC medium olive adding VGC dead flesh to highlight.

Hope thats ok, i think it all comes down to making sure you water the paint down. its taken me a long time to realise that but it has help me to improve so much since i got back into the hobby.

Hopefully i'll be able to post some new pictures of the figures i'm painting at the moment to give you an impression of what the army could look like when/if its finished.

#20 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:15 AM

Hope thats ok, i think it all comes down to making sure you water the paint down. its taken me a long time to realise that but it has help me to improve so much since i got back into the hobby.

Watering down is something I need some practice with. Last attempt flooded a test mini and I hadn't really added that much... In paint:water ratio, how much water are you mixing in?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users