#1 Thane Morgran

Thane Morgran

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:12 PM

Hi all,

Well, I've been posting here a couple of weeks, and you all seem kind good natured folk. Having drooled over some of the beautifully painted models posted by others I'm feeling brave enough to show my own humble efforts.

So, since I've only just finished painting it, I'll start with my grudge-thrower:
P1000788.JPG

Close up of crewman no 1:
P1000793.JPG

The ammo pile :yes3:
P1000792.JPG

And the other two crew:
P1000790.JPG

Reverse angle:
P1000791.JPG

More pictures to follow when I get around to uploading them from the camera...

Edited by Thane Morgran, 27 May 2015 - 11:47 AM.

#2 Andrik

Andrik

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:16 PM

I really like the crisp clean paint job :) love the blue on the clothes.

Also a very nice base for it and a good old spare goblin to fire :dwarf:

#3 Thane Morgran

Thane Morgran

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:24 PM

Ahah! Found some old pictures on the camera. I knew buying a big old storage card for it would come in handy some day!

The eponymous Thane Morgran:
Posted Image

And his cloak:
Posted Image

#4 Thane Morgran

Thane Morgran

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:31 PM

@Andrik: Thank-you! I added the gobbo in tribute to the original gob-lobber.

Not all of the crew are in blue, I've added a reverse shot showing the attire of the other two a little better.

And the base is there for a good reason. I don't want to play a gun-line army, but wouldn't mind tricking rash opponents to rush to me as if I am, and by putting all my war-machines on large bases I make them look more imposing than they otherwise might, increasing the chances of this. Oh, and I like the way it looks, they're the closest I have to a centrepiece most games! :prankster2:

#5 Thane Morgran

Thane Morgran

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:36 PM

And my quarrellers, with added greatweapon goodness. The second unit I painted for my throng. Carefully belted to their backs too, none of this levitating axe rubbish GW seem to think is good enough!

Getting these guys to rank up was a headache, but they do now (and the basese are numbered so I can re-create it), even if I sub in the three normal RnF to replace the command group. Oh, and I've added grass to their bases since I took these photos.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 McSheehy

McSheehy

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:34 PM

Thats a level of shading a detailing I only hope to achieve.
Nicely done. :hi:

#7 Andrik

Andrik

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:59 PM

These all look very good, i do like the look of the lord inparticular aswell some impressive shading and colouring on them all.

Keep up the good work

#8 Booxi

Booxi

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:38 PM

i rly like the skin on the drum

#9 Tah Kazak Rik

Tah Kazak Rik

Scion of Grimnir

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,152 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:06 PM

I love the darker color scheme, Looks great!

The red trim looks great with White Sleeves!

However, I am wondering the Blue color on the Grudge Thrower crew's apron, what blue is that?

#10 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:11 PM

i rly like the skin on the drum

Snap :) :guinesssmilie: :clapping: :guinesssmilie:

#11 Fanai Glimmerclaw

Fanai Glimmerclaw

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:56 PM

The thing I love is those lovely axe straps - they are so good I will be using it as my template to do mine - love the shape and colour and the button just adds so much detail to the work :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Fanai

#12 Thane Morgran

Thane Morgran

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:28 AM

@TKR - The blue is GW Regal Blue, dulled down with a touch of black for the base colour, pure regal for the first heavy layer and then increasing amounts of GW Space Wolf Grey mixed in for the highlights.

The white undertunic, together with my metals, skin and bases are what hopefully ties the army together into a cohesive force.

@Fanai - Glad you like them! They were a pain to do, but worth it in the end. I found using slightly more yellow than blue in my green-stuff made it easier to shape. As for the button, that was made by drilling a hole into the end of an old paintbrush and then pressing it into the green-stuff.

@everyone - Thank-you for the kind words, they're helping motivate me to finish up my mining quarrellers (quarreller rangers in game terms) that are on my painting table right now!

#13 Goldo

Goldo

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:58 AM

I really like the GT. Dark and earthy colors is what all classic dwarves is about!
And the leather things holding the axes...WOW!
Care to tell me how did you paint the metals of the GT?
:clapping:

Edited by Goldo, 05 March 2011 - 10:01 AM.

#14 Thane Morgran

Thane Morgran

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:29 PM

The metals on that thing were quite involved and more of an art than a science (ie I've forgotten the details), but I'll try to explain as best I can.

I started out by drybrushing boltgun metal liberally over the whole model, and then followed that up with a fairly heavy chainmail drybrush. After that I inked it, first with a blue glaze, then with a couple of black washes.

After that, I broke the model down into light and dark steel. The dark got a highlight with boltgun metal, keeping the highlights small, then an even more extreame highlight of chainmail.

The light areas were highlighted in exactly the same was as you'd highlight a non-metalic area, just using metalic paints, thinning them down (something I barely do for drybrushed colours) and building up slightly translucent layers. Working up from boltgun, through chainmail to mithril.

By comparison the gold was quite straightforwards, a coat of shining gold, devlan mud wash, a highligh of 3:2 shinging gold and mithril silver and then extreme highlights with mithril silver.

#15 Squergi

Squergi

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:43 PM

I really love your sharp, solid colours. All around very beautiful units. I'm especially a fan of your quarreler unit, really cool banner too!

:hi:

#16 Thane Morgran

Thane Morgran

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:07 PM

Well, I've taken the day off work and it's really bright and sunny here at the moment, so I thought I'd break out the camera and take some pictures of some more of my dwarfs.

First up, my bolt-thrower. It's on a similar base to my grudge thrower, but without so much ornamentation as it's the first war machine I painted for my throng. Only a couple of chains (from the dark elf warrior sprue) pegged down to hold it in place as it fires. Here it is:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Next, my Ironbreakers. Such lovely models, and the first decent sized ranked up (ie not 40k) metal unit I've ever owned. Painting these guys was kinda tricky, as the only non-metalic bits are the beards, so I had to vary from my usual metal routine to get some definition there. Can't remember exactly what I did as it was a while ago that I painted them. Also, the standard conversion was a darn sight harder to do than it looks. For strength there is a single pin running through the four or five parts between his hand and the standard top! Also had to re-sculpt the top of the flag after trimming off the old standard top. Compare it to the shots of the quarrellers above and you'll see what I mean ;) Here they are, showing off the individual models:

Posted Image
Posted Image

And some group shots:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Thane Morgran, 24 March 2011 - 04:13 PM.

#17 Squergi

Squergi

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:20 PM

Woah I love those Ironbreakers!The metallics are absoluetely gorgeous. I love the bases of the bolt throwers too.

Great work!

#18 Thane Morgran

Thane Morgran

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:23 PM

And here are my Longbeards. When getting them out for their photoshoot I noticed I'd somehow neglected to put grass on their bases... Since I'm in the process of magnetizing my whole army (not as lengthy or costly a process as you might think) that's easy enough to fix.

I love these models, and whilst painting the assorted clutter they have strapped to their backs ( took an age, it was worth it as it really adds to their character. Whilst they are very nearly as unipose as the hammerer models, I like how the longbeards look but hate the hammerers. Not any one hammerer, individually they are great, but as a unit they've always looked wrong to me, which is why I don't have any. Like many here I'm waiting to see if GW do some nice multi-part plastic ones when they next come to dwarfs, if not I'll have a go at converting some. Needless to say I have more than enough other dwarfs to keep me busily painting until then! Anyhow, enough waffle, here are my longbeards, hope you all like them!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 rednorseman

rednorseman

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:03 PM

Really liking your ironbreaker & longbeard units. Banner design on the ironbreaker is quite good. For that matter, both banners are exceptional. Well done & thanks for posting
have one on my tab
:guinesssmilie:

#20 Squergi

Squergi

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:01 PM

Ooh gorgeous Longbeards. Great job (would be great to see them in better lighting though) :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users