15 replies to this topic

#1 A.Wagg

A.Wagg

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 04:17 PM

Slightly new rules for this month, so please read them all! Changes are in bold.

This month's model:

A plastic (with exceptions, PM me if you don't have any plastic models) rank and file model. The point of this contest is to start with a pretty low detail, low cool factor model, but make it look great. For this month, and this month only, I would like a no sculpting policy on the model, however it's ok if you use green stuff to make the base.
Again, sorry to whoever was thinking of sculpting this month.

The Contest:
You will be judged by our forum members on what model was the best painted, sculpted, chosen (from your box of models or your new ebay deal), and based. Anyone should enter this contest who has the time to do so, because anyone can win, not just the best painter. Well based models always win votes, and you'll need to do something special to get votes in this contest!

Rules:
1.) You may make your model, buy your model, or pull your model out of your case, whatever. Just start with it unpainted, and unbased (a start on a base is fine, like sand). Please post a "before" pic with your model. (In the months past even mods *cough cough* have been slacking, and not doing this. Please just try to take the before pic., we aren't going to DQ you, but the possibility is always there, especially if your model looks Golden Daemon quality.

2.) One 20x20mmbase per entry. You can paint multiple models on this base, but only one base. No dioramas, no monster bases.

3.) You will post four pictures: one must be a "before" photo, just bare metal or basecoat, but the other three can be whatever you want: a zoom, a front shot or a back shot, whatever you wish... But, it cannot be a collage!

4.)Pictures are to be taken on a white/pale blue background, or any non distracting background. This can be, say a terrain hill/forest/whatever, but no, no, no army display boards. I think models look best on a plain white back ground, but whatever suits you.

5.) The organisers of the competition have the right to refuse entry to any applicant if they feel it doesn't meet the criteria.

6.) The thread will be locked after the deadline, no more posts!

7.)This is a community event and like all hobbies is designed to be fun, so enjoy yourself, keep us posted, and good luck!

Mechanics:
Do not post anything, besides your final pictures on this thread until the contest is over. After the deadline, I will open a voting thread (might be a poll, so keep your eyes open!). Vote there. The voting will be different the next month, you will have three votes, a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place vote. You will give to 1st place model 3 points, 2nd place 2 points, and so on. This helps to have the votes flowing around, and reduces the chances of a tie. I'll post this with the voting thread too, so this is just an overview, and is the only rule change, except the model restrictions for this month.

I will also open a thread for discussion about this contest and whatever. If you have a question, PM me right away. I WILL help, so don't be afraid to enter the contest!

If you manage to pull off a WIN, you may choose the next model to be painted. Last month, Spawn Man won, and chose a RnF model, so here we are.

The contest is OPEN!

Deadline is: February 26, 2011
See here for the exact end date!

Good luck!

Edited by A.Wagg, 19 February 2011 - 07:34 PM.

#2 Fanai Glimmerclaw

Fanai Glimmerclaw

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:28 AM

My start figure - I had another but I sculpted a backpack so have gone with this one

well he is done so I have posted the figures

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

:pirates:
Fanai

Edited by Fanai, 31 January 2011 - 09:43 AM.

#3 Squergi

Squergi

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:37 AM

Prepicture:

Posted Image

Zoom:

Posted Image

Backside:

Posted Image

Piccie 4:

Posted Image

Apologies for picture quality. Also my camera doesn't agree with taking pictures on white background for some reason :P

:hi:

Edited by Squergi, 19 February 2011 - 04:25 PM.

#4 Spawn Man

Spawn Man

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:29 PM

Well here's my competition entry! With the Christchurch earthquake and everything, I wasn't too sure if I'd make it, but I did. Phew! ;)

So here's my before shot. I accidentally started painting it before taking the photo because I got too eager lol, but I took it as soon as I remembered. I chose what I thought was the worst looking rank and file model from the BFSP set (if only that dragon slayer was rnf because that model is FUGLY!), and at the same time, used it as a test for what I expect my army's colour theme to be.

Posted Image

The photos aren't too good, but I'm happy with how he turned out. Probably the cleanest metal I've done on a model, and I'm happy with how it all works together. Definitely will use the colours on the rest of my army. Hope you like him. :)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Spawn Man, 25 February 2011 - 10:12 AM.

#5 Equlan

Equlan

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:39 PM

Weren't we supposed to reserve these topics for the contest entries? :P
There's still a week left isn't there? Don't panic yet. The first contest had all entries posted from the 20th of that month...
I won't have access to a camera with a macro function that works for single figures (I'm not sure why, it worked fine for the hewer, but I can't make it focus on this guy... It's late so I'm justing it now, but I'll try getting better pictures and replacing them before the 21st, hope that's fine).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

EDIT: New pictures, some of my worst work so far, but I got sick of the model half-way through. Excuses, excuses :)

Edited by Equlan, 15 February 2011 - 01:04 PM.

#6 Dirken Thorn

Dirken Thorn

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:05 AM

Once again thanks for letting me enter a metal mini, I chose this rank n' file clansman because it has little detail and was on par with the contest idea. One day I might end up picking up some plastics but I'm an old Longbeard that won't let the old ways die easily! The base was and is inspired by spring here in Canada, patches of snow with green undergrowth, kind of like when the mountain passes of the keeps clear and the Dawi march to war.

Before - Marauder Dwarf Clansman

Posted Image

Front

Posted Image

Back

Posted Image

Close up with LOTS OF LIGHT! (Its been said some of my pics were too dark in the past haha)
Posted Image

#7 Goldo

Goldo

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:35 PM

Guys please don't post any comments here!
Unless if you are going to edit these posts to your entries.
Here is mine!

BEFORE!
Posted Image

AFTER!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cheers :drinks:

ZOOM!
Posted Image

Hope you like him! Cheers! :drinks:

#8 TWD

TWD

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:37 PM

Here's my entry

Before...

Posted Image

And after:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Terrible model, but I'm pleased with the paint-job.

I got a bit carried away when doing him, so if anyone wants to see a complete Step-by-Step guide to how I painted him, please visit my blog

Edit for better pictures - TWD

Edited by TWD, 25 February 2011 - 08:47 PM.

#9 Dwarven Pride

Dwarven Pride

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:52 PM

Here is the unpainted...
Posted Image
And here is the final...
Posted Image
Enjoy! :guinesssmilie:

#10 Grabgold Thunderbeard

Grabgold Thunderbeard

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 06:52 AM

Well here he is, " Gorbin Goblinkiller ". A member of the formidable "Horns of Thunder" longbeard unit, he is known for his deep unrelenting hatred of goblins, which he will often attack with complete disregard for his own safety.

In keeping with the simple theme of this particular competition I did nothing but add a second axe-blade to his weapon making it a greatweapon, added horns to his helmet (all members of the "Horns of Thunder" unit bear horns on their helmets), and a satchel and the ever important tankard to his belt.

Before:

Posted Image

Front:

Posted Image

Back:

Posted Image

Zoom:

Posted Image

#11 Slaine Mac Roth

Slaine Mac Roth

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:00 PM

My entry for this month:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 Tah Kazak Rik

Tah Kazak Rik

Scion of Grimnir

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,152 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:18 PM

Thread Locked.

Let the Voting begin....

A.Wagg...start us up!

#13 the bearded one

the bearded one

The Spammer King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,351 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 06:47 PM

Damn you TKR, you scared the "I Swear too much" out of me by closing the thread!

I didn't really go to great lengths for this mini, I painted him in the same quality as I do all my rank & file.

Before:
Posted Image

After:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by the bearded one, 26 February 2011 - 06:48 PM.

#14 burock

burock

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:04 PM

hey there,

i thought i won't be able to make it for this month's contest due to a crazy month at work; but i found some spare time to start a single model.

my entry is a drunk miner. i prefer to think that he's assessing the battlefield and enjoying some ale can't hurt ;)

to abide by the competition rules, i didn't do a heavy conversion. i just lengthened his pick with a banner pole for a cool pose and gave his left hand a beer from the warrior box.

Hope you enjoy him:

BEFORE
Posted Image

2 MORE
Posted Image

Posted Image

AND A CLOSE-UP
Posted Image

as always, may the best dwarf win... :dwarf:

#15 Tah Kazak Rik

Tah Kazak Rik

Scion of Grimnir

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,152 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 01:44 AM

A.Wagg's Entry:

Before:
Posted Image

After (lost my good camera)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 Blue in VT

Blue in VT

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:25 AM

Officially Entered So Say TKR! But this is the last one!

Here is my guy:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cheers,

Blue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users