10 replies to this topic

#1 DLW

DLW

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:33 AM

Hey guys and gals if there are any. I saw an interesting list on here the other day. It was about using bugman and some more rangers getting up close and personal. If multiple characters can use the rune of brotherhood, than this strategy could be very interesting. This is what I came up with.

Dwarf lord 271pts. MRoSteel, MRoSpite, RoBrotherhood, RoStone, gromril armor, gw.
Thane BSB 165pts. RoBrotherhood, RoGuarding, MRoGromril
Runesmith 147pts. RoBrotherhood, MRoDismay, RoSpellbreaking, RoStone, gr a, shield
Runesmith 147pts. RoBrotherhood, MRoChallenge, RoStone, gr a, shield
Josef Bugman 155pts.

38 Longbeard warrior rangers 480pts. St., Vet., Hvy A., gw, throwing axes
37 Longbeard warrior rangers 465pts. St., Vet., Hvy A., gw, throwing axes

20 Miners 265pts. St., Prospector w/steam drill

Cannon 110pts. Engineer, RoBurning

Cannon is the only thing deployed! Everything else is either underground or waiting for your opponent to finish deploying. Then set up shop 12" from him with big LBRanger units. If he charges, throw ton of axes. If you get first turn move up, throw ton of axes. Anything that makes it through you should handle. Then miners aren't far behind with their re-roll to appear. Thought about swapping cannon for some oathstones. You may not be able to. I am not close to my army book. Just wishful thinking if none of it is legal. But if it is, I would love to see the look on someones face when they see a small army pop up behind his!!

#2 Forsak3n_Slay3r

Forsak3n_Slay3r

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:41 AM

it looks like TBO's "in your face list", except with smaller units.

#3 DLW

DLW

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:16 AM

Yep that's whose it was. I found it. Yeah I favor the more numerous miner units. More rolls to see if they arrive. Do you know if its legal to put the brotherhood runes on multiple characters?

#4 Khazadson

Khazadson

Dwarf King

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:48 AM

Yes it is.

#5 Crompton

Crompton

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:02 AM

That second RS is either missing a rune or added up incorrectly. My assumption is you're missing a Ro Spellbreaking on it?

#6 Ok Okri

Ok Okri

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:14 AM

How many points is this? I am presuming at least 3k to allow 4 miner units? I think you need more miners to make them effective, maybe just 3 units, and I think the characters are wasted. I see no need for the Lord, esp. as bugman will provide Ld10. The 2nd runesmith does little for you except give you one more DD and carry challenge. I'd swap them both for a runelord, which would do the same for less. I'd have resistance rather than guarding on the BSB, and I'd drop throwing axes for more bodies all round.

Ambush lists are much more viable in 8th ed than they were in 7th, due to the improvements in GW units and the ability to take only rangers to fill core requirements. My thoughts are here http://www.bugmansbr...__1#entry298529

#7 Crompton

Crompton

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:30 AM

How many points is this?

Its exactly 3k if his numbers are correct. Which they are not. His LBRs should be 32 & 31 in size on those numbers and the 2nd RS wrong as I stated above.

Also the BSB is illegal. Has a runic banner with other runic items too.

#8 Ok Okri

Ok Okri

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:21 PM

Also the BSB is illegal. Has a runic banner with other runic items too.

Thought so. Not sure whether I meant to change it for resistance or preservation - always get their names mixed up! The armour reroll is the one I meant.

#9 DLW

DLW

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:44 PM

Sorry about all of the mess ups. I didn't have my book with me then. I was at work and trying to remember it off the top of my head. I forgot the guarding rune was on the standard. The second RS has a spelleater rune instead of the RoChallenge. The LBs are 15pts a piece and I had them at 12. Knock them down to 28 and 27 and I get some extra points. I see your point about the 2 RS. The lord is there in one unit in case there is a nasty lord in the enemy unit with a truck load of attacks. He can handle nearly anyone. Bugman can't. Do the throwing axes get to volley fire? Or is it just the two ranks?

#10 Ok Okri

Ok Okri

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:46 PM

The lord is there in one unit in case there is a nasty lord in the enemy unit with a truck load of attacks. He can handle nearly anyone. Bugman can't. Do the throwing axes get to volley fire? Or is it just the two ranks?

My feeling is that GW troops will do more damage than the Lord for much fewer points, and also give you more wounds to play with. I think the armour save of the lord is less useful than more bodies.

Only bows get volley fire. With a 6 inch range the axes will mostly be stand and shoot, in which case you'll be hitting on 6's too.

#11 DLW

DLW

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:00 PM

Wow I didn't know that long range was a factor! I think 7th ed throwing weapons didn't have penalties for moving AND long range because their range was so short to begin with. Yep those would be a waste.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users