100 replies to this topic

#1 Dal Ok Thrund

Dal Ok Thrund

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:49 PM

Well I've been a fan of dwarves/dwarphs ever since my brother got a couple of blisters back in the early 90´s. I still remember visiting the hobby store "Spel & Sånt" in Stockholm, Sweden (sadly, now closed now like most good stores here.)

Some years ago I read about what type of "miniature person" you were by trying to divide your percentage between Gaming/Collecting/Painting. My numbers started out around 20/70/10 and I'm now trying to tip the scale towards something like 30/10/60 as I now own figures that will take me years to paint.

My dwarf hold is positioned somewhere in worldsedge mountains bordering to Averland, (since my empire allies are painted in their colours). The colours of my hold are fairly uncontroversial dark red and a light gray blue tone, "borrowed" from the Kislev army.

Well enough with the rambling and on to the pictures!

gallery_10625_474_28313.jpg
My first character. Think he should have some flesh tones on the arms but made it a sweater. tongue.gif

gallery_10625_474_9536.jpg
I think this model might not get airborne if you apply the laws of physics, but it looks better than the new model.

gallery_10625_474_3212.jpg
Trusty Crossbowdwarfs. got 20 of these paited ad 20 more to do.

gallery_10625_474_22682.jpg
Thunderers even more stunning models than the quarellers in my opinion, love these figures! got 20 painted and 30 more to do.

gallery_10625_474_10543.jpg
My first 10 Hammerers, got 10 more, might need another few. Unfinished base, will take care of that. smile.gif

gallery_10625_474_2760.jpg
Slayers, these five took way too much time, I'd like to add some tatoos aswell. A full unit of 30 would be awesome, might be a later project.
gallery_10625_474_6295.jpg
Well he ain't a dwarf, but as close as any manling might come to be considered of the right stuff so to speak, Felix Jaeger. Got a couple of Gothrekses in my collection so painting him shold be on the schedule.

Will post more pictures later.

It became much later...

gallery_10625_474_55067.jpg

My first 20 thunderers, I'd like to add shields on them but didnt drill them and GSed magnets in before I painted them and glueing them on isn't what I'd like. Got a standardbearer with pistol aswell, he's just got 3 layers of someone elses paint on him. Taking pictures in broad daylight is really revealing since I never paint them in that light. Ouch, you see each brushstroke

Edited by Dal Ok Thrund, 06 May 2014 - 11:36 AM.

#2 Andrik

Andrik

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:52 PM

really like thse, very nicely painted.

Also love the sweater it can get cold in the mountain passes :P

#3 Equlan

Equlan

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:57 PM

I like it, I like it a lot :)

How are you making the wood grain on the gyrocopter?

#4 Grabgold Thunderbeard

Grabgold Thunderbeard

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:02 PM

Very nice painting, love those old quarrelers! :clapping:
I know exactly what you mean about the "type of miniatures person" you are. I already own far more than I could paint anytime soon, but it certainly hasn't slowed my spending on this hobby. It sure is a nice feeling when you finally get around to painting "that" model which has been sitting on the shelf for over two years LOL! ^_^

#5 Spawn Man

Spawn Man

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:05 PM

Wow, they are great - do share how you painted them! :)

#6 Blue in VT

Blue in VT

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:24 PM

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Wonderful painting on characterful models...it doesn't get much better than that!

Welcome! Can't wait to see more.

Blue

#7 hoegaarden

hoegaarden

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:04 AM

Amazing paint job - look forward to seeing more. I enjoy the subtle colors, they seem to give a real wintery look - must be the sweater. Good luck on hitting 60 on the painting percentage.

#8 Barin

Barin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:01 AM

They're great. Requesting bigger pictures ;)

#9 rednorseman

rednorseman

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:48 PM

I agree -very nice work here. Also, bigger pics needed.

#10 Dal Ok Thrund

Dal Ok Thrund

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 04:35 PM

Thanks for your nice words, the issue I have with my painting is only that it takes painstakingly long to paint since i base them all on black and use quite bright colours.

The woodgrain is based on vermin fur lighted with leprous brown (i think that its discontinued but don't really know) and finally elf flesh. I just apply thinner strokes with paint for each layer and finnaly it comes out that way.

I'll try to take som closeups later. I'll add new photos in the first post, I hope thats ok.

#11 Balador Silvermane

Balador Silvermane

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:30 PM

I agree -very nice work here. Also, bigger pics needed.

Hear! Hear! Very very nice work and definitely bigger pix so we can admire the painting even more. Looking forward to seeing more of your army, keep them coming.

Cheers :drinks:

#12 Rojo

Rojo

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 12:49 PM

Those are absolutely fantastic. This army will be a thing of beauty to behold.

Please continue to take your time and don't feel bad about the time it takes to create such wonderful objects. I have spent up to 3 months painting 10 minis before (up to 2 to 3 hours a night, 3 to 4 nights a week, to get something I like). I also start with a black undercoat, but I then do a white layer next over skin and the tops of any clothing or other coloured material. I find this lessens the number of layers you need to do to get up to a bright colour.

I also have to say I am rather envious of your collection. That era of Dwarfs is what got me into this hobby in the early to mid 90s.

#13 Ok Okri

Ok Okri

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:49 PM

Amazing work. And I agree with you - those thunderers are some of my favourite models. It's such a shame that some of the best old sculpts are among the least useful in the new rules (thunderers, flame cannon), but at least the spearmen can be argued to have great weapons!

#14 Dal Ok Thrund

Dal Ok Thrund

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:15 PM

Feels like im necro posting but here goes. The new book has given my army (mmu) some viability and since musicians are really good in 8th I decided to paint a model that's been lying around for ages. The pictures are quite crappy (taken with my not so smart phone) and I'll update with better pictures.

The 15mm musician, oh the joy when I got hold of him!

thunderermusician.jpg

Here with some lads of his to see if he fits in the unit.

I'm asking for some advice, I've got a raven themed army and averland allies. Do you think I should paint the feathers all black, all yellow or a combination of the two, say 75% yellow with black ends?

Edited by Dal Ok Thrund, 18 March 2014 - 08:25 PM.

#15 Yorri Damminson

Yorri Damminson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:38 PM

Great paintjobs!

Keep them coming! ;)

#16 Darkblade

Darkblade

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:54 PM

Welcome back. That drummer has to be one of Marauder's best.

As for the feathers, I'd say definitely not all black. I'd be tempted to try mostly yellow with black tips or vice-versa.

#17 Ok Okri

Ok Okri

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:47 PM

Resurrecting a painting thread is allowed :) great to see you back at it. I agree with Darkblade - that drummer is an awesome sculpt, and you've done a great job! How about yellow or black with a chevron or two of the other colour?

#18 Wendersnaven

Wendersnaven

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:24 PM

Good stuff. Keep us posted ... :X  puns, on that excellent Marauder range.

#19 redmanphill

redmanphill

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:27 PM

Really nice. I wish I still had all of my old metal Dwarves. Which Runesmith is that which you showed at the start? Is he from the original anvil of power?

#20 Dal Ok Thrund

Dal Ok Thrund

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:52 AM

It sure is redman. I'll use him and Kragg the grim for runesmiths since two seems like the least amount you want in over 2000 p. I've got the runesmith from Grudge of drong aswell but his aestethics puts him somewhere between ranges for me, since I don't particularly like the latest metal hammerers. Are there any more oop metal runesmiths that fit the marauder range other than anvil and Kragg?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users