Photo

Wk's Secret Dwarf Project - Dwarf Landgriffon Knights Released (15/3)

• Please log in to reply
1168 replies to this topic

#1 white knight

white knight

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:33 PM

I was going to sit on these a bit longer until I had some metal, but I can't just keep sitting in this pool of my own froth (I might drown). As some of you may know by now, I have a soft spot for the old renaissance styled Marauder dwarfs. Having collected all the original models, I still felt myself wanting more, and other currently available similarly themed ranges, like the Foundry one, just don't strike the same chord. So the only way to get figures that would hit the same spot, was to have them made.

Now this is first and foremost a private project. These are figures I wanted made for myself and not everything about them may appeal to a broader market. Even so, I see no reason not to sell some to interested people once they are available (will still be a while as I want to get a few basic sets completed (and moulded) first). There are no plans to become a real shop though.

Now, first thing was to find a sculptor who could delivery the quality AND who gets what it is that gave the old school models their charm and character. I immediately thought of John Pickford (of Otherworld giant fame) and I think he came through big time with the models. I can't stress enough how my pictures don't do justice to the models. They are very crisp and clean in the flesh. Any limitations designwise are my fault and not his, as I wanted to capture the look and feel of those golden age models, with all the good and the bad that that entails.

In order to give him some time to get familiar with the subject matter, I suggested to start out the first ones with the most static poses, so don't blame the sculptor for that, it's what I asked. There will be many more poses and troop types farther down the road. Since I hate units with loads of clones, I wanted to make the most out of my buck and get them to be modular: separate heads and separate weaponhands. For this first set, there are 4 bodies, 8 heads and 4 weaponhands (only 3 shown, the 4th is another poleaxe type weapon). All heads are interchangeable (as pictures demonstrate) (and of course, some heads are bound to look better with certain bodies, but all in all it works pretty well, without detracting from the final look.

As said, more poses and trooptypes will follow and the aim is to make parts (especially heads) interchangeable between as many sets as possible for maximum customisation possibilities.

Anyway after this long introduction, some pictures featuring all of the heads on all of the bodies (and 3 of the weaponhands). They are just tacked together and in some pictures the hands have come away from the arm, but this would not happen if they were glued together.

Hope you will like them.

dwarfs1sm.jpg

dwarfs2sm.jpg

dwarfs3sm.jpg

dwarfs4sm.jpg

Edited by white knight, 15 March 2018 - 07:21 PM.

#2 Ok Okri

Ok Okri

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:56 PM

You must have more money than sense! :)

I find this quite appealing, as you can never (imho) have too many marauder dwarfs. I also agree that you need variation in the ranks, and many of the marauders seemed to come from modular beginning. However, something about them doesn't seem quite right. I think it's the poses and the hats. Having said that, I'm eager to see what else comes out of this, especially if you do decide to do a small production run. Could we see some ranked up with their inspiration?

#3 Griswald

Griswald

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:22 PM

I really like this idea. From the sculpts, the detail and variation, in detail alone, is superb! I agree that the poses may need some more variation. At the very least, they should be a little more dynamic- perhaps angled differently on the base, looking different directions, etc.

Also, I hope you make these available for some others (myself) to buyy :big_boss:

#4 white knight

white knight

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:28 PM

I really like this idea. From the sculpts, the detail and variation, in detail alone, is superb! I agree that the poses may need some more variation. At the very least, they should be a little more dynamic- perhaps angled differently on the base, looking different directions, etc.

Also, I hope you make these available for some others (myself) to buyy :big_boss:

You are right about the poses not being dynamic, but as I said, we decided to get the most dull, static poses sculpted first, as the test pieces for the range, and then add the more dynamic and more interesting poses afterwards. This is merely the beginning, I have plans for many more sets (and all kinds of weapons). :hi:

#5 Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Kro'undi

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,763 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:35 PM

I think they look good, the hats are a bit iffy, but the rest are good. Yeah the poses are a bit static but you've explained that so don't mind, are you going to get them cast out of pewter to match or plastic? I wouldn't mind some if you eventually wanna take order from people.

#6 Grabgold Thunderbeard

Grabgold Thunderbeard

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:37 PM

I think they look quite splendid! They should fit right in with your other old renaissance models, and I look forward to seeing some painted up!

#7 white knight

white knight

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:41 PM

They will be cast in metal and everyone will get a chance at getting some.

Regarding the hats, there are two of the first ones that I feel are not quite there perhaps (number 4 and 6 in the first line-up, though they look more interesting from other angles), but the others look quite fitting in person (in my opinion of course, which is worth what it's worth).

#8 Blue in VT

Blue in VT

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:05 PM

WOW WK you know I'm very excited about this project...keep us all in mind!

Cheers,

Blue

#9 Barundin Throndinson

Barundin Throndinson

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:16 PM

They look great to say there test sculpts with more dynamic poses they be brilliant the only thing that does put me off slightly is the square feet. But i would defiantly consider getting some when they go to production

#10 white knight

white knight

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:40 PM

They look great to say there test sculpts with more dynamic poses they be brilliant the only thing that does put me off slightly is the square feet. But i would defiantly consider getting some when they go to production

Well, the square shoes are classic landsknecht look, so can't leave that out. ^_^

#11 Durik

Durik

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 05:38 AM

Wow, they look fantastic! Are you sure these aren't lost Marauder Dwarfs? :i-m_so_happy:

Count me in for a set or two :victory:

#12 Barin

Barin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 06:31 AM

While I still think that there's plenty of room for improvement, they already look pretty good. I like landsknecht looks of them, one thing that is not in line with these uniforms is barbed spearhead...but that's up to you.
Looking to see the line released for dwarf fans ;)

#13 white knight

white knight

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 06:49 AM

one thing that is not in line with these uniforms is barbed spearhead...but that's up to you.

Well, I specifically asked for one normal spear/pike and one halberd. The other two were left to the sculptor's devices and he came up with this. It should be easy to file off the barbs if you want, or simply not use that weapon option. I'm not sure how I will package these when I offer some for sale, but at the very least there will be enough weaponhands in the pack to equip all the models with the same weapontype.

#14 Darkblade

Darkblade

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:44 AM

White knight, you sir are a genius. There is amazing potential in what you have started and I wish you every success. You can count me in as a future customer. :i-m_so_happy:

#15 sanj

sanj

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:08 PM

Very nice.
A fantastic amount of character and clever use of head and weapon combinations to make so many unique looking individuals.
I would love to have a set of these :)

#16 mumbojumboist

mumbojumboist

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:42 PM

Love them! Especially the guy with the full helmet.

Would definately be interested in buying some of these!

#17 Goldo

Goldo

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 03:53 PM

They all rock! Well done friend! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Perhaps I'll try sth like that myself
now that I've started being interested in marauder models. :big_boss:
Let us know when they are cast! I hope they won't be too expensive will they?
(Well compered to other manufacturers of course.I am not asking to be as cheap as BTD but...)

Edited by Goldo, 16 September 2010 - 03:59 PM.

#18 Captn Morgrim

Captn Morgrim

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,828 posts
Contributor

Posted 17 September 2010 - 05:03 AM

D*mne me soule, sire, these be ... Fantastic! Brilliant! I, fer one, 'd sure fancy gettin' me dirty 'ands on a pack of 'em for the head with the Burgonet helmet alone. The others heads are, of course, brilliant as well, and the bodies are fine too.

I spies a lot of conversion material 'ere. Some o' them would look well with a pistol in hand... In this vein, may I ask ye about the proper contents of the sets ye gonna sell? Fer example: 1 type of each body, 8 heads, 12 weapon options? Or would it be possible to buy more of the same body types. I 'm asking this because the 2nd body 'd add a lot to me Pirate or Sea Dog army...

Cheers!

Captn M.

#19 white knight

white knight

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:15 AM

To be honest, I don't know yet about how they will be packaged for sale. As I'm not going to do this as a professional venture, I'd like to keep logistics as simple as possible (as in, prefering to sell fixed sets rather than individual picking of parts), but we'll see when we get there.

One thing that I will make sure is that each set of bodies comes with enough weapons of the same type for all the bodies. As for the rest, to be decided...

I will probably try to also offer conversion sets of just heads, that you can use to convert your other models if you want (for instance, they would work pretty well with the 6th edition multipart plastic dwarfs from GW, with minimal work).

#20 Vidd

Vidd

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:32 PM

They look very oldschool. :) I wouldn't mind a unit or two of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users