333 replies to this topic

#1 hoegaarden

hoegaarden

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 02:45 PM

I have started work on my giant dwarven fortess & here's a look at the "draft" layout of the interior of the fortress. I put the pieces together & snapped a photo so I can remember the internal layout as I build from the ground up. Based on the design, it looks like I'll need to build & paint as I go - completing the outside last. So far, I have planned a working elevator , a brewery, and a drinking hall all inside. Externally, I have 4 exits/entrances into the fortress, including a spiral stone ramp & stone bridge connected to a balcony entrance.Posted Image
internal fortess draft.JPG A simple "draft" on putting some pieces together of the internal chambers of the dwarven fortress. The pic is for me to remember the general layout of the fortress as I build the inside from the ground up.

Posted Image
internal fortess draft.JPG A simple "draft" on putting some pieces together of the internal chambers of the dwarven fortress. The pic is for me to remember the general layout of the fortress as I build the inside from the ground up.

The draft pic is of the inside look of what the inside of the fortress will look like. I'm guessing it will take me about a year to complete (working 70 hrs/week cuts into my fun time), so I'll post as a new part gets completed. Sorry I'm not as fast as others...

Hoegaarden

#2 Jordy

Jordy

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:08 PM

looking very nice m8

#3 the bearded one

the bearded one

The Spammer King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:33 PM

By my beard, that looks epic! continue on!

And impart us with the secretsa of how you made those dwarven symbols on the floors.

How large is it compared to a model? Can 2 units be placed in it next to eachother, or is it 1 unit 'wide'?

It is already looking terrific, keep going!

#4 mumbojumboist

mumbojumboist

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:21 PM

This is great! I'd also be interested as to how you do the runic carvings.

#5 Dourin

Dourin

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,086 posts
Contributor

Posted 15 August 2010 - 02:22 PM

Wow that looks brilliant!

1. The carvings, how do you do them? Do you use a pattern that you came up with and cut through it? How do you cut them out, precisely (be as detailed as you can please, this looks very interesting! )

2. Secondly, judging from your name I'd say you were Belgian as well. Where do you find the orange foamboard? Most of the hobby stores I've tried don't even know that this stuff exists.

3. Great looking columns! Same question, where did you found them?

Looking forward to more with great interest,

Dourin

#6 Mackelius

Mackelius

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 03:07 PM

Damn this is awesome :D can't wait until it's finished

/Greimdal

#7 magemurk

magemurk

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 03:28 PM

Pretty sure those are wedding cake columns. Super cheap, but they are hollow. If you use them stand alone, you have to plug the ends.

Edited by magemurk, 15 August 2010 - 03:28 PM.

#8 hoegaarden

hoegaarden

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:17 PM

Wow that looks brilliant!

1. The carvings, how do you do them? Do you use a pattern that you came up with and cut through it? How do you cut them out, precisely (be as detailed as you can please, this looks very interesting! )

I have done the carvings several different ways - but I will happily share them all. The key to all are using pink house insulation foam and an exacto-blade knife. I buy the insulation foam at Home Depot or Lowe's (but I live in Texas so the thickest I can get is about 1 inch).

4 ways to carve:

1. Start by printing a black white copy of your favorite design. Lay the copy onto the insulation, tracing the lines hard enough to make an impression on the insulation. Working with your exacto-knife, carve on the line in short segments then follow it up with a second line carved at a 7o degree angle about 1-2 mm on the outside of each line. Pry up the carved piece, continuing the line segment.

2. Same as step 1, except lay the paper on the insulation and carve through the paper into the board. Go back through at the 70 degree angle on all carved lines. (I don't like this method as much as method #1, especially for larger carvings)

3. Similar to step one, except using a rubber stamp with a design. Simply use the stamp by hitting the ink pad, then the insulation. Carve in a similar manner to #1. I only have one rubber stamp that looks remotely dwarven, but someone may have access to some cool rubber stamp designs...

4. Freehand draw onto the insulation & carve similar to method #1. This takes a braver sort of person, but you could also create a stencil - I have done both. An example of one of this variety completed & painted is in my Bugman's Throne Room gallery folder - look for the anvil on a ramp.

As someone mentioned - wedding cake columns. They are hollow plastic and I have them in 7 inch, 5 inch, & 3 inch sizes. I buy them at Hobby Lobby or Michael's stores here in the US.

Thanks,

Hoegaarden

(not from Belgium myself, but play in the SCA & that is the name I go by - which just happens to be historically based in that area)

Looking forward to more with great interest,

Dourin

#9 hoegaarden

hoegaarden

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:22 PM

Posted Image
ground floor - start.JPG Stage 1 - the base floor. The area on the left with the 2 carved runes will be the drinking hall and the area triangular shaped will be the brewery. The bottom floor is glued to the base board with liquid nails.

Here's a look at the first stage of construction - the 1st floor. It is glued down with liquid nails and the columns are simply glued on with Elmer's Glue-All. The next step is to use a latex base paint to cover the home insulation. This floor will house the drinking hall, the base floor of the brewery, and the ground floor of a working elevator.

#10 Grabgold Thunderbeard

Grabgold Thunderbeard

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:32 PM

Wow this thing is massive!
My compliments, I can't wait to see what it will look like painted!
Well done! :clapping:

#11 hoegaarden

hoegaarden

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:33 PM

By my beard, that looks epic! continue on!

And impart us with the secretsa of how you made those dwarven symbols on the floors.

How large is it compared to a model? Can 2 units be placed in it next to eachother, or is it 1 unit 'wide'?

It is already looking terrific, keep going!

Here's a pic giving you an idea of scale - the dwarf is a standard sized figure. The width from left to right is 3 feet and the distance from the front of the fortress wall to the back is 8 inches. It will hold the majority of most armies on this floor alone.

Posted Image
for scale pic.JPG This pic is for scale - you can see how large the ground floor i in comparison to the standard dwarven base (25mm).

#12 Grabgold Thunderbeard

Grabgold Thunderbeard

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:38 PM

I am just so impressed, I have to comment again!
This is a great way to display your army!
Will you be using it for themed battles or strictly for display purposes only?
Once again, well done!

#13 Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Kro'undi

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,854 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:46 PM

Very nice peiece of work you got going there, and its huge, can't wait to see it finished. Btw is that a reaper mini there? Just curious as I think I'm painting that mini atm.

#14 hoegaarden

hoegaarden

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:47 AM

Here are 2 pics of the spiral stair that will be on the outside of the fortress. This section is an example of using a rubber stamp & ink to make the insulation board before carving.

Posted Image
spiral stair - top view - sm.jpg

Posted Image
spriral stair - side view - sm.jpg

#15 hoegaarden

hoegaarden

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:21 AM

Post Carving:

This pic is after the carving is complete - the insulation foam is then coated with a black latex-based paint. This allows me to use spray paints to base coat large areas without disolving the foam. Be sure to get the paint into the carving (but plenty thin), otherwise you will have pink showing through your cool designs.

Posted Image
ground floor - latex painted.jpg

The next step is the spray paint of the base & columns.

Thanks,

Hoegaarden

Replies:

@ Grabgold Thunderbeard - I'm a big fan of themed battles, scenarios, & victory conditions that lead to further battle. I also use terrain for army displays as well - nothing nicer than a way-cool backdrop for photos of your new mini or unit.

@ Bonecrusher - I believe the mini is a reaper - a dwarven monk with a kilt (pattern painted - not that you can tell from the photo) that I threw in for scale

#16 the bearded one

the bearded one

The Spammer King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:10 PM

O my....

I'm speechless!

gives a bit of a marble feeling to it!
Staircase looks really very pretty!

#17 Ebrick

Ebrick

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:10 PM

wow, this is going to be epic!
well done on everything so far. it looks like a blast to play on.
will the multiple floors come off to play on, or is there room between the ground and ceiling to get a hand in?

#18 TORAKUNGART

TORAKUNGART

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:12 PM

Those carvings are great. I like the kind of Celtic knottish feel to them. The staircase is my favorite part. YOu my friend, are a shining example of a Dwarven craftsman.

Cheers :guinesssmilie:
Torak

#19 Splod

Splod

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:40 PM

I can't see it being too useful for games of WHFB, but it'd make for a great D&D set up :)

#20 Grabgold Thunderbeard

Grabgold Thunderbeard

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:06 AM

I can't see it being too useful for games of WHFB, but it'd make for a great D&D set up :)

I think it would be great for some themed battles; imagine the Dwarf hold suddenly being swarmed with Skaven, and the outnumbered Dwarfs desperately try to repel their foes. Or goblins have already taken the Fortress, and a force of Dwarfs try to claim it back...
There could be some interesting limitations on your forces like no warmachines, or other interesting stuff you could come up with to make it fun and unique. :P

Edited by Grabgold Thunderbeard, 19 August 2010 - 02:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users