#1 Ok Okri

Ok Okri

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 05:54 AM

Dear all,

The idea of an ambushing dwarf army is not new. Since 6th edition we have had the option to field a combination of rangers and miners which allowed us to deploy closer to the enemy and, perhaps more importantly, after they had deployed themselves.

I'm not posting an army list for critique, but rather want to discuss the effectiveness of this style of list in 8th edition. I have not seen the new rules, and so am only going on the information I have read here; I apologise if an rules interpretations are incorrect.
Although an entertaining build in 7th ed. the ambush style army had a number of flaws which prevented it from being a dependable build. These included:

1) The minimum core requirement meant you had to take some troops with standard deployment rules, which split your forces
2) Great weapons were not favoured due to the prominence of the parry rules and kills removing attacks back. Miners were not favourable due to this, and it meant wasted points on rangers
3) There was ambiguity over the allowable ratio of Longbeards/Rangers/Warriors
4) Dwarf charge distances and manoevering meant it could be difficult getting into combat
5) The min core/special/rare slots meant taking more miners limited the option of taking war machines, although all special slots could be allocated as miners
6) Lost standards gave away significant victory points, meaning they were not favoured on units in which they could be lost
7) Special characters (i.e. Bugman) were largely played on agreement only
8) Fear and terror protection was difficult to provide in this type of army
9) Lone war machines were easy targets for enemy troops, specifically fast movers which could reach them quickly
10) Terrain and scout deplyment rules meant blocks of Rangers were not easy to place effectively

8th edition has bought a number of changes, which I think make the dwarf ambush army much more viable:

1) There is no longer a minimum requirement for standard deployment core troops
2) The stepping up rule has made great weapons the preffered choice over hand weapons and shields
3) The latest FAQ has ruled that Longbeard rangers do not count toward the Warrior/Longbeard ratio, allowing them to be fielded without a Warrior counterpart unit
4) Improved charge distances and revised movement rules mean dwarfs can get into combat much easier
5) The removal of slots means more miners and war machines can be taken together, although miners are now limited to 3 units
6) Standards now give away less victory points, so can be placed on more 'risky' units, although Miners and Rangers become less risky with the boost in great weapon and ranked unit rules. This is also good given the new scenarios requiring standards
7) From what I have read here, special characters are now standard options in the army lists (i.e. not requiring opponent consent to be fielded)
8) Fear and terror is no longer as disruptive as it was in 7th edition
9) War machines are now more resiliant to attack by small, fast units (although scouts and light cavalry can now reach them faster)
10) New scout deployment and terrain rules make rangers much easier to place effectively
11) The new scenarios based on deployment and objectives make the ambush army more useful than previously, and possibly over more static dwarf builds
12) long range damage causing war machines (e.g. stone throwers and cannons) have been improved making their, inevitably, few shots more dangerous.

N.B. I know static war machines are not suited to this stlye of list, but know we need some counter to monsters etc., and point 9 also applies to the anvil. I would include reference to the Gyrocopter as a possible entry, but the rules seem to be very ambiguous at this stage.

As you can see, I think the ambush style of army list has been much improved by the advent of 8th edition. Of course, I am overlooking many things, and it still may not play as competitively as other builds, but I think it at least deserves some attention.

#2 mitchell93

mitchell93

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 06:39 AM

All those points are very true but it is a big change to our normal army lists because the units are so much different to what we were used to using in 7th.

5) The removal of slots means more miners and war machines can be taken together, although miners are now limited to 3 units

I have not seen the new rule book much why only 3 units of miners?

#3 Khazadson

Khazadson

Dwarf King

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:01 AM

You may not take more than 3 of the same special or 2 of the same rare.

I don't know if I will make a completely ambush based army, but I will probably have 2 units of rangers and a unit of miners. not that they will all be in the same list all the time. but they will likely get a used more than they used to and in bigger units.

Edited by Khazadson, 11 July 2010 - 07:02 AM.

#4 Goztek

Goztek

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:42 AM

Alot has changed, and if you can study enough. Your opponent won't even cross half the table. I used to take longbeard ranges with throwing axes horde formation, now that i don't need the warriors anymore, i think i will take 2 units of miners and a massive unit of longbeard rangers. Rangers will keep in combat for the first turn until the miners will come up and will charge with the help of the aod. 2 Small Units of Miners with gw to cover the aod for the rest you can sacrifice them if they have flyers/dragons as you are winning the important points with the miners and longbeards.

#5 Tarben Oakenshield

Tarben Oakenshield

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:24 AM

Hi fellow dwarfs,
quick question- it also effects tthe ambush build-
Are we only able to field one unit of Rangers?

#6 Khazadson

Khazadson

Dwarf King

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:45 AM

Rangers are 0-1

However if you take Bugman you can take a unit of longbeard rangers which do not count towards this limit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users