• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Trick

Trick

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:05 AM

Hi all, just joined the forum and looking for some help to start a Dwarfish army in time for 8th edition!
Looking for advice on using Dwarfs in a close quarters role to suit the army below, inspired by Karak Kadrin, Slayer Keep and its residents. I've gone for minimal shooting and zero artillery in favour of fluff and character (I'm well aware that Karak Kadrin will have just as many cannons and guns as most strongholds, but I want to emphasise the abundance of Slayers). Speaking of character, I think that a Slayer-themed army is the perfect oppurtunity to pack a lot of characters into an army hence the large number of Lord/Hero units.

I'd like help making this army into something fun and playable please. Any hints and suggestions on how to fine tune these units?

The Oathsworn Host of Karak Kadrin

Lords (210pts)
Daemon Slayer; Master Rune of Alaric the Mad, 2x Rune of Fury
210pts *joins first Slayer unit

Heroes (481pts)
Thane; Rune of Stone, Rune of Preservation, Shield, Great Weapon
91pts *joins Warriors unit
Dragon Slayer; Master Rune Of Smiting, Rune Of Speed
125pts *joins second Slayer unit
Dragon Slayer; Rune Of Speed, Rune Of Striking, Rune Of Fire
70pts *joins third Slayer unit
Thane; BSB, Strollaz's Rune, Master Rune of Grungni
195pts *joins Warriors

Core (454pts)
25 Karak Kadrin Cityguard (Warriors); Shields, Full Command
225pts
16 Karak Kadrin Cityguard (Quarrellers); Musician, Shields, Great Weapons
229pts

Special (849pts)
20 Slayers; Standard, Musician, 2 Giant Slayers
283pts
283pts
283pts

Total: 1,994pts

The general idea is to deploy in a refused flank to keep my army close together and deny a flank to the enemy. I will now have the Warriors unit in the centre of my line with the General and BSB allowing all the units in the vicintiy to make use of Strollaz's to aid the Slayers (who will deploy in front and to the side of the Warriors) to close with the enemy. The Quarrellers will guard the refused flank. The Slayer characters are designed for individual roles such as character-killing and horde-killing and are designed to leave their respective units as and when their time to shine arises in order to seek their doom.

Cheers

Trick

Edited by Trick, 10 July 2010 - 07:33 AM.

#2 Crompton

Crompton

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:08 PM

Your BSB cannot have a great weapon and you actually have 431 points worth of Heroes (including taking away the 4 for the GW). Which puts your total at 2085 points. Still, it looks a fun army as long as you can accept every now and then some magic and a load of big template weapons ruining your day early on, heh.

#3 mitchell93

mitchell93

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:09 PM

I hate to rain on your awsome slayer parade but there are a few illegalities in your list:
1) the bsb unfortunately cannot join a slayer unit
2) with the new rules you need to mave atleaset 50% of your army as core this means you will have to drop the 30 slayer unit to have to the points to bring you core up to the necessary 1000pts in your game size

#4 Argo Nak Arnmoor

Argo Nak Arnmoor

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:22 PM

I hate to rain on your awsome slayer parade but there are a few illegalities in your list:
1) the bsb unfortunately cannot join a slayer unit
2) with the new rules you need to mave atleaset 50% of your army as core this means you will have to drop the 30 slayer unit to have to the points to bring you core up to the necessary 1000pts in your game size

You only have to have 25% core.

Edited by Argo Nak Arnmoor, 07 July 2010 - 04:22 PM.

#5 mitchell93

mitchell93

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:58 PM

You only have to have 25% core.

I thought it was 50% oh well that will teach me for jusk skimming through the brb in store. But thats a good thing for me.

#6 Trick

Trick

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:44 AM

Hey guys, thanks for the help and feedback! I've taken a long look at the list and made some revisions. Let me know what you think of the revised version.

Trick

ps. I'm thinking of a couple of conversion ideas here too. I'm new to Fantasy so don't know how lax the system/community is with certain WYSIWYG boundaries in units ie. I think it would be quite cool to have a couple of Long Drong's Slayer Pirates mixed into one of the Quarreller units. Would that be acceptable or would the pistols be too distinct from the crossbows?

Also, I love Gotrek & Felix and may use a Gotrek model as my Daemon Slayer. At the same time I may also decide I want to use a converted Felix model to represent my BSB - another of his honourbound oaths to the Dwarfs? How do you think that would go down?
Thanks!

Edited by Trick, 08 July 2010 - 02:57 PM.

#7 Dorack

Dorack

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:42 AM

Have you considered Having a Dwarf Lord as General inside a Hammerers unit? With Ro Determination and rerollable ld 10 panic and break test, they are the closest to Slayers you might get (save for the armor, just don´t give them shields). And without slots, you can have both a Dwarf Lord and Demonslayer. that gives you another hard hitting and protected general while keeping the army theme.

With a Dwarf Lord, you can also alter your core selection to include a big Longbeards unit with greatweapons instead of the warriors, to further give the elite warriors feel.Such Longbeards unit will help you reach your minimum core requirements.

About your BSB, with so many slayers around and already decided for a runic standard, I would seriusly consider giving him the Ro Grugni and rune of Guarding. You can place the BSB in the Longbeards above and have them carrying the Grugni Rune if you fancy. Since you are not fielding a Runesmith, MRo Valaya might be mandatory.

As a final note, I would consider fielding both Long Drong Pirate slayers and the Goblin Hewer as rare options. Our army book still allows for them, and you are already hindering yourself a lot with this themed list. Any reasonable player or tournament organizer should allow you to play with them. Otherwise, simply use them as you mentioned to proxy thunderers / quarrelers and an Organ Gun.

#8 Trick

Trick

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:48 AM

Have you considered Having a Dwarf Lord as General inside a Hammerers unit? With Ro Determination and rerollable ld 10 panic and break test, they are the closest to Slayers you might get (save for the armor, just don´t give them shields). And without slots, you can have both a Dwarf Lord and Demonslayer. that gives you another hard hitting and protected general while keeping the army theme.

With a Dwarf Lord, you can also alter your core selection to include a big Longbeards unit with greatweapons instead of the warriors, to further give the elite warriors feel.Such Longbeards unit will help you reach your minimum core requirements.

About your BSB, with so many slayers around and already decided for a runic standard, I would seriusly consider giving him the Ro Grugni and rune of Guarding. You can place the BSB in the Longbeards above and have them carrying the Grugni Rune if you fancy. Since you are not fielding a Runesmith, MRo Valaya might be mandatory.

As a final note, I would consider fielding both Long Drong Pirate slayers and the Goblin Hewer as rare options. Our army book still allows for them, and you are already hindering yourself a lot with this themed list. Any reasonable player or tournament organizer should allow you to play with them. Otherwise, simply use them as you mentioned to proxy thunderers / quarrelers and an Organ Gun.

Hi,
I had thought about Hammerers, Hewers, Pirates and all, but I can't fit them in at 2,000points without losing more of the Slayer aspect. I have my mandatory Core of three units which won't allow for Longbeards unless I a) drop a Slayer unit or B) pay for a Lord alongside my Daemonslayer which would be a considerable points increase. If and when I take the army up to 3,000pts I will almost certainly take a Lord to represent Ungrim Ironfist and try to squeeze in a decent Hammerers unit, the Goblin Hewer amd hopefully a Pirates unit.

I've also thought about Rune of Grungni but not sure what to drop to get the extra points for it. Any ideas? I'm new to Fantasy so not sure what can be allowed for dropping without affecting a unit's effectivness.
Cheers

Trick

#9 Dorack

Dorack

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:56 PM

You must have 3 non character units, but they don´t have to be core units.

#10 Trick

Trick

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:29 PM

You must have 3 non character units, but they don´t have to be core units.

Ah I see, didn't realise that! Will have to have a good pore over the new book when I'm in store tomorrow.
Any other thoughts about the army? I'm quite liking the layout and composition just now.

Wouldn't mind some Slayer-focused advice too. How do they fair in a more central role such as mine? Who should they avoid?
Cheers

Trick

#11 Ulric Stoutheart

Ulric Stoutheart

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:41 PM

Definitely find the points to give the BSB MRoGrugni. Otherwise your slayers are going to die in droves from all the templates and other shooting that'll hit them. Maybe drop one of the quarreler units, then convert the other one into Rangers. You should have enough points left to up that lone unit to 15, to help them pack a bigger punch.

#12 Trick

Trick

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:36 AM

Okay, I've merged and reduced the Quarrellers into a 16-man unit and added the Rune of Grungni. Does this army seem too small though? I guess that the MRoGrungni will help preserve the units more than four extra bodies but it does seem somewhat on the compact side (no pun intended).

Anyway, it looks like a lot of fun so thanks for all your help with this beginner Dwarfer. Can't wait to get it all put together and give 8th a good go!
Cheers

Trick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users