Photo

More Than A Couple Marauder Dwarfs (Update 04/23)

• Please log in to reply
313 replies to this topic

#1 white knight

white knight

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:43 PM

I've had some time to paint and managed to complete a couple classic Marauder Miniatures empire style dwarfs and ogres. The colour scheme is inspired by GW's golden age when (almost) everything was painted red, yellow and blue and the bases are deliberately old school.

The dwarves:
Posted Image

Some more angles:
Posted Image

Posted Image

The Ogres:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some more angles:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by white knight, 23 April 2012 - 02:18 PM.

#2 rednorseman

rednorseman

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:27 PM

wow -those are amazing . your painting is excellant

very well done

#3 Perv

Perv

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:19 AM

Yeah you've done a fine job on them matey ;) Great shading and highlighting. Not sure whether I like the bases or not, they look a bit Nurgley to me or something that fits a Snotlings theme :)

#4 white knight

white knight

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:05 AM

Yeah you've done a fine job on them matey Posted Image Great shading and highlighting. Not sure whether I like the bases or not, they look a bit Nurgley to me or something that fits a Snotlings theme Posted Image

Well, they are based on the oldschool style of: flock with sand, paint goblin green, drybrush, job's a good'un.
I just didn't want to paint the edges green as well, hence the dark brown. And allowing the "grass" to go over the edges seemed like a more interesting touch, giving a more naturally overgrown look and blending the bases into the table more. But well, I can understand if you don't like it, I sometimes have doubts myself, but it is what I started with years ago and I don't want to rebase them all now.

#5 Perv

Perv

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:24 AM

You've done them very well but I think a couple of slighty larger rocks would look better on the Dwarf ones. At the moment it looks a bit like slime thats spilt over the edges, very good looking slime but slime nonetheless :) The Ogre ones look great but the larger rocks are there to break it up so I think thats all it is with the Dwarfy ones ;) MUCH better than I could ever do though mate ;) Yeah green edges just doesnt work for Dwarfs :(

#6 white knight

white knight

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:37 AM

I will think to add some more rocks to the next ones.

It doesn't look like slime in real life though.Posted Image

#7 white knight

white knight

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:01 PM

4 more marauder empire-themed dwarfs. Not as happy with these as with the other ones (yellow highlighs too harsh for one), but they'll do fine.

Posted Image

With the previous two:
Posted Image

Individual shots.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Perv

Perv

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:47 AM

Heh heh heh I know the camera makes things look different from RL so I expect they look great and not slimey at all mate ;) More great work, they'll make a fine unit soon ;)

Edited by Perv, 08 April 2010 - 10:47 AM.

#9 white knight

white knight

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:47 PM

4 more empire-themed dwarfs. The one with the eyepatch and pegleg is actually an old citadel Bugman's rangers champion, but he had the right look, so he joined this unit. The two in the middle came with seaprate plug-in hands (I also have handguns and spears for these guys). The one with the helmet and breastplate is a conversion of one of the speardwarves (not an original, but a recast) with a plastic crossbow.

Posted Image

With the previous lot:
Posted Image

Individual shots.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 HaaX

HaaX

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 05:58 AM

Wow, you do sure got a nice little dwarven force there! Very well painted! :)

#11 white knight

white knight

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:26 PM

Got time to finish 4 more marauder dwarf crossbowmen. The one to the left is a conversion of the chainmail one (comparison pictures below). The two in the middle are conversions of dwarf spearmen (some recasts I got off ebay, not originals) with plastic crossbows. The one to the right is the third variant of the the ones with separate plug-in hands
Posted Image

The conversion next to the original. He got greenstuff shoes, puffy sleeves and a feather with gem broche for his hat, as well as a new moustache to set him apart from the original. I'm quite happy with this one, he looks different enough from the original and of the two I think I like my converted one best.
Posted Image

With the previous lot:
Posted Image

Individual shots.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 Eskabar

Eskabar

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:24 PM

Wow, those look great. I just love the character your painting gives them. I look forward to seeing more of your work.
I'm getting inspired to get working on my own lot!

Eskabar

#13 white knight

white knight

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:03 PM

2 more. One more conversion of a speardwarf recast and one musician. Pictures are bad. :(

Posted Image

Posted Image

Beginning to look like something that resembles a proper unit:

Posted Image

#14 Lord Ravenhelm

Lord Ravenhelm

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:23 PM

Great minis! :) They are very bright and colourful. I would just make the bases more detailed, it will make the minis even better.

#15 white knight

white knight

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:34 PM

I would just make the bases more detailed, it will make the minis even better.

Well, I must admit it doesn't look too good in pictures, but in reality , I think the bases work.

Plus, I can't really face redoing all the bases on the older empire collection these are supposed to go with. Posted Image

#16 HaaX

HaaX

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:56 PM

Looks really great, how did you paint the leather on the drum? :)

#17 white knight

white knight

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:50 PM

The leather on the drum got a basecoat of vallejo dunkelgelb (german dark yellow from WW2), then it was highlighted by adding a cream colour similar to bone white (though slightly darker) to the basecolour.

#18 white knight

white knight

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:34 PM

Two more Marauder dwarves: one with a halberd/polearm and another quarreler. The latter got a greenstuff feather and some puff and slash added to make it a bit more interesting/empirey

Posted Image

The individual shots with some additional angles:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 Ironfoundersson

Ironfoundersson

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:03 AM

Those are some really beautiful models you've got there! You're painting is bold, simple and clean. Really effective. I also like the bases, they look good without being overdone - you want the focus on the model anyways!

--Ironfoundersson

Edited by Ironfoundersson, 09 May 2010 - 05:03 AM.

#20 white knight

white knight

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 11:20 AM

Those are some really beautiful models you've got there! You're painting is bold, simple and clean. Really effective. I also like the bases, they look good without being overdone - you want the focus on the model anyways!

--Ironfoundersson

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users