• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Gakkamel

Gakkamel

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:32 AM

Hi áll. Im new to this site not to warhammer though. I love painting, but somehow i just NEVER understood or gotten the hang of the NMM conepct i simply dont see how its possible. Is there any tutorials any of u might know of? a link or something would be much appreciated Posted Image

#2 Thorgrimm14

Thorgrimm14

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:29 AM

Behold the spectacle of NMM. Vincent Hudon is one of the masters of the technique, imho.

he has a thorough walkthrough of that magmatrax mini HERE, where he also goes into different approaches to nmm

#3 Rambunctious

Rambunctious

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:40 AM

NMM is way overdone these days, in my humble opinion. It seems that unless you've spent 10 years mastering the technique then your models just don't cut it anymore. A lot of the time it really doesn't look that great, especially with yellow metals like gold or bronze.

That Juggernaut by Vincent Hudon is absolutely amazing, however. Probably the only yellow NMM I've seen mostly work.

#4 Gakkamel

Gakkamel

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:49 AM

Thanks for the links. an actual evidence of its existence and some tips! im already opening a new pack of dwarfs, condemmed to noobish NMM painting once more. even though i gave it up a year ago, cause lack of understanding for it ... one more Try thanks ThorgrimmPosted Image

and Rambunctious i agree in some way.. I just want that skill! XD some of the hardest ive tried so far XD

#5 Barin

Barin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:16 AM

I think we had Rakso the Slayer thread with NMM oop ironbreaker here, and I really lked the results. Myself, I've never tried NMM - may be bcs I'm good in normal metallics, may be bcs I have very little time and tons of minis or may be bcs. I'm just being lazy ;)

#6 Perv

Perv

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:48 AM

NMM is the ultimate in painting but thats just my opinon. If you can master NMM you can paint anything. I like it when metallics are used in NMM, yes I know this contradicts the style but there was a tutorial on CMON that uses both NMM and metallics and the result was spectacular. If I find it I'll post a link.

NMM can be used to do things metallics cant do like with this fig, cant see how you'd get it chrome looking without using NMM.

Posted Image

I have a DVD that explains the techniques but I still cant do it. lots of building up gradually with watery paints but you've really got to think about the figure first and where the light points will be and I'm just no good at it :(

Edited by Perv, 24 March 2010 - 11:49 AM.

#7 Barin

Barin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:56 PM

Well..may be it is the photo, but I think this dog can be done with blue metallic,mithril silver and washes of blue ink and several blue paints...the question is how good your paint-fu is.... ;)
NMM makes the models brighter, bcs. of technic itself and white primer...

#8 Perv

Perv

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:27 PM

Yeah you could probably use mithril in it but you'd still need blue and white to paint a metallic which is in effect NMM. :) You'd just be combining metallics into a NMM technique which, if I could find that tuorial you'd see looks awesome :)

#9 Baradrin

Baradrin

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 04:54 PM

Watch out for next week's WD as it has a blow-by-blow (stroke-by-stroke?) account of how to do gold NMM on one of the new Blood Angel characters.

Only had a chance to glance at it in the local GW, but what I saw, it looks good.

#10 Magnar Gurnisson

Magnar Gurnisson

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:12 PM

What is NMM ??
What does it mean

#11 Perv

Perv

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:03 PM

Non-Metallic Metal ;)

#12 Perv

Perv

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:50 PM

I found this, its a great idea :)

http://www.coolminio...article/aid/339

#13 Azgar

Azgar

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:34 PM

Thank you Magnar for asking that question!

Just read through the whole Thread thinking what in the name of Grimnir's underpants is NMM!?

#14 smaug123uk

smaug123uk

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:49 PM

nice post for that article on cmon perv , but i still not completely sold on idea - i have used it and is a good addition to the panting arsenal -

maybe it just habit that i keep using older methods lol-

something bout old dogs and new tricks

although my granddaughter has used it on her dark elves and it looks good

#15 Perv

Perv

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 03:55 PM

Not even when you see this figure mate?

Attached File  NASP03-01-GD.jpg   15.86KB   48 downloads

Its figures like this that made me fall in love with NMM :) Some people prefer realistic, some cartoonish, some a mixture. They all look good but just down to preference really. I just tried using Vallejos Liquid gold - White Gold and its a lovely paint. Ideal for using in realistic and NMM techniques I reckon.

#16 smaug123uk

smaug123uk

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:54 PM

ok perv u may have converted me

granddaughter says thank you lol

#17 Bucket Kjell

Bucket Kjell

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:12 AM

I think these things are a bit down to ambitions.

If you want to pain a whole army in a year, and still do other things in your life as well, then you can't really do much more than some drybrush highlighting and inking a few shades.

If you want to make that perfect figure that look good in all kinds of light, then NMM is the way to go.  And in between there is a whole world of different technique levels.

So far I got enough with experimenting with a few layers of colour. Next step is to try to master blending on cloths parts and get a better grip on wood.  So when I approach retirement age I will probably give NMM a go too  :prankster2:

#18 Bodric

Bodric

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:17 AM

@perv

what's the vallejo gold useful for?

B

#19 Perv

Perv

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:04 AM

That figure was painted by various people like all the Rackham models Smaug, one person does skin, another does hair, another does weapon etc. Bit like cheating really but I cant fault the result. If your Granddaughter can paint like that I want a commission done please :)

Yeah Bucket only true artists who can paint to that level without even trying will have a whole army done in NMM masterclass. The rest of us would take 20 years to get to their level and still take 4 times as long to paint a figure :( We can only dream ...

That Vallejo gold is the best metallc I've used by far. It just flows and covers beautifully. Water doesnt clean the brushes properly though so you need the brush cleaner stuff they do or you have to use white spirits etc :( Its the White Gold one and its a shade thats halfway inbetween Sliver and Gold. As it doesnt clean in water properly it may be a pain to thin down or mix with other paints so it may actually be useless for NMM. I'm going to mess around with it and see what it likes and doesnt soon anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users