Jump to content


Photo
- - - - -

Ashes Of Middenheim Chapter Four (Ic Thread)


  • Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#41 Eldacar

Eldacar

    Loremaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:19 PM

"Anything in particular that you can think of to look at?" Allaen asked the dwarf. He may have been a member of an inferior race, but he was relatively intelligent despite that. "Or anything that seems odd, or off somehow?" He directed the second question towards Ranulf.

#42 Ashnari Doomsong

Ashnari Doomsong

    Dwarf Longbeard

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:47 PM

Gurni snorted.
"If anything I've read of the subject is true - and it probably is - people who poison wells don't generally go about defacing them afterwards. We need to get some water up, and then you can have a look with your magic eyes. It does seem somewhat odd, however, that everyone who suffered adverse effects seemed to do so simultaneously, or nearly so. It seems like a frightening display of order in Chaos. Which should be a contradiction, surely?"
He shook his head and started moving on towards the well when a thought struck him.
Of course! Humans were a treacherous bunch. It was going to have to have been one of their own who had poisoned this place.
"You have a traitor in your midst, priest. And one highly enough placed to know of the skull, presumably."

#43 Eldacar

Eldacar

    Loremaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:29 AM

"True," Allaen murmured. "Somebody would have had to get into the temple safely first in order to poison the well."

#44 Orcslicer

Orcslicer

    Dwarf King

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts
Contributor

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:08 AM

"Unthinkable! That would make no sense at all... you have told me already that you have be subjected to more than one attempt of theft on your quest to fetch this skull. In what way could this be linked? It is far too opportunistic. What are the chances that we would all drink the water? No one even knew you were here!" Ranulf stopped, realising something dreadful. In the confusion he had left the skull and its box in his office. If this was some kind of sadistical diversion, then it had worked perfectly.

"I pray to Ulric that you are wrong, dwarf, for I've forgotten to lock away the skull!"

Ranulf begins to run back up the stairs into the temple.

#45 Avaris

Avaris

    Dwarf Hammerer

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:32 AM

OOC: Sorry about that. Dissertation.

I was going to say Orderic was wearing leather, but given he was apparently slowed down I reckon we're in full plate still
:whistle3:

Slightly delayed by his armour and fleeing temple initiates getting in the way, Orderic entered the room a little behind the others. Seeing Julen push Anna back, he suddenly realised a little of why she was hesitating. He could show no compassion to these monstrosities as he had to her, yet something of them was still human. Rather than engage them, he positioned himself between Anna and the poor creatures that assailed them, seeking to contain them more than anything.

Ready action to attack the first mutant that acts in a violent manner (so actually trying to attack) towards Orderic or Anna. If it comes to it, feel free to roll the dice for me Orcy.

Edited by Avaris, 18 February 2010 - 10:32 AM.


#46 Eldacar

Eldacar

    Loremaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 11:01 AM

"Is it wrong to sometimes feel like slapping some humans around the head for their naivete?" Allaen asked in Eltharin, half to himself and half to the dwarf. "On the other hand," he continued in Reikspiel, "he makes a good point, too." Turning, he bolted after Ranulf.

#47 paraicj

paraicj

    Dwarf Hammerer

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:35 PM

Julen hesitated for a moment, the man was still almost human, unlike the padre in the study. Yet he knew the mutation would only get worse, turning him into a mewling mass of tentacles as it did with Odo. "The only mercy I can give is a clean death. You are afflicted with an incurable curse. May Shallya have mercy on you." Without waiting for a reply, afraid, perhaps, of what it might be, Julen thrust cleanly with his sword into the man's chest. Such is the fate of all those touched by chaos, he thought, almost sadly, withdrawing his blade, ready to strike again if the poor creature wasn't dead. At least he could die quickly, not consumed by chaos.

OOC: Rolled a 17 to hit, so in the chest. 5 for damage, so 9 overall. In cases like this, is there a Coup-de-grace style system? I mean it's unlikely anyone wouldn't kill the guy in one stab if he's kneeling there unarmed... :/

#48 Hyarion

Hyarion

    Dwarf Hammerer

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:36 PM

A clean death and a swift end to torment was all that the wood elf had in his power to grant. Made all the more palatable in that it was a blow against Chaos. He was no wizard who could bring healing, no priests to ease a troubled mind, nor even an apothecary to ease a troubled body; but he had accepted who he was: a defender of the forest and a hunter of chaos. Mercy had it's place but the elf doubted that the church of Ulric had the facilities to treat this ailment without bringing in outside help which they would not tolerate. Best to be about the business then and not prolong things.

There. In the crowd, another servant with two large gossamer wings swirled through a gap in the crowd and that momentary glimpse was all the time Maeglin needed. Gaining traction on the stone floor was easy enough but then a panic stricken novice blundered into his path who was unceremoniously shoved aside before the luckless human ended up getting stabbed by mistake. Finally reaching the target, Maeglin let his momentum carry his sword into the servant's back.

Actions: Charge attack on another mutant. Rolled a 96 to hit -> FP'ed to a 46. Damage: d10(7)+SB(4) -> 11 damage. Yes, there should be a coup-de-grace action with the proper requirements. Full round action, helpless opponent, able to fully concentrate on the blow (not in combat with something else or similarly distracted), etc.

#49 Orcslicer

Orcslicer

    Dwarf King

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts
Contributor

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:42 AM

Yep, coup-de-grace makes sense in this cases. There might be something in the rules already, I'm not sure... either way, I'm allowing automatic kills to anyone that volunteers not to defend themselves.

Seeing as there were only a half-dozen mutants to start with, it doesn't take long for the action to subside. Maeglin and Julen both execute theirs (though Maeglin's actually fights to defend himself, failing to parry, and is finished off by the Ulrican's surrounding him and adding their attacks in).

No mutants specifically make an aggressive move towards Orderic, and it is only moments before all of them have been dealt with.


The demise of the mutants is as quick as it is brutal, and once their screams of horror and mercy have stopped it is replaced with the silence of death that the party must now be well used to. One of the young boys, certainly no older than 9 or 10, weeps quietly in the corner, unable to look away from one of the disfigured bodies. Seeing this, Anna walks over, still shaken herself, and does her best to comfort him. One of the other boys, perhaps 3 or 4 years his senior, looks at the boy with a hard stare. He hands Julen's dagger back, dripping rivulets of blood.

"Hush Erwin, you're embarrassing us."
______________________________________

Ranulf and the others burst back into the room (naturally, Gurni bringing up the rear) to find with a sigh of a relief from the senior priest that Skalf remains undisturbed in solemn silence. He turns to face the door as you enter.

"Where are the rest?" he asks, implying by the tone of his voice that he is talking about the deceased, rather than the party.

Edited by Orcslicer, 19 February 2010 - 10:43 AM.


#50 paraicj

paraicj

    Dwarf Hammerer

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:42 AM

Julen took the dagger from the boy with a small bow, wiping it and his sword clean and resheathing them. As he did so, he said to the initiate, "I understand that you men of Ulric are a marshal order, but to weep for the dead is no shame. These used to be men you knew. Give them their burial rights." To not seem like he was being to harsh on the boy, he added, "You did what needed to be done, and there is no shame in that either."

Turning to see that Orderic had protected the girl, he nodded and said, "We should return to the others. This...slaughter...is over."

#51 Hyarion

Hyarion

    Dwarf Hammerer

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:39 PM

Carefully wiping his sword on the body of the fallen, Maeglin closed the man's eyes and made a brief gesture of blessing. Then he rose and moved to stand beside Julen, "Let us hope there was not another escape attempt during this little diversion. This does not have the same feel as before in the forest though. How do you see this?"

#52 Eldacar

Eldacar

    Loremaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:38 AM

Allaen shrugged. "We came back here when it became apparent that this attack could be a diversion while somebody else grabbed the skull," he explained.

#53 Ashnari Doomsong

Ashnari Doomsong

    Dwarf Longbeard

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:20 PM

Gurni shrugged uncomfortably.
"There is no way to know, for now. However, the skull is not seized. Unless..."
He walked up towards the chest and paused.
"May I? This thing is full of treacherous sorcery. Something might have happened."

#54 Eldacar

Eldacar

    Loremaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:32 PM

Allaen waved absently towards Gurni, a gesture meant to communicate that he didn't particularly care. He would have guessed that Skalf was alert enough to detect any magical theft - though he still needed to study the dwarf's strange priestly magic, he was willing to guess that somehow, the dwarf had managed to gain some sort of magical ability.

#55 Orcslicer

Orcslicer

    Dwarf King

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts
Contributor

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:21 AM

The youth gives Julen a hard stare. "My brother isn't weeping for dead, he's weeping because he was scared."

"He's only a child," interjects Anna. "So are you, when it comes to that. There is no shame in it."

The initiate turns his gaze to Anna, her arms around the fair haired boy. "Father Ranulf teaches us that there is no shame in fear, only in how you face it. Blubbing is shameful, say what you like. Ulric would never have done it."

Feel free to move yourselves upstairs to the others if/when you feel ready.

_______________

Skalf shrugs, indicating no opposition to the idea. The dwarf clasps his hands together and begins to proceed out the room, heading to the kitchen corridor. His solemn pace makes him look very much like a one man funeral procession.

"No!" says Ranulf, a little curtly. He corrects his tone of voice. "The box has been blessed, and can only be opened by a priest administering the appropriate blessing. He moves next to Gurni, holds a hand to the box, murmers a brief litany and makes the sign of the wolf. The key, still in the lock, is turned, and the chest is opened.

From inside the wooden casket, the skull and its heavy wrought iron chain remain in place. Bronze, hollow sockets stare up with you. A vacant macabre grin, mockingly smiles at Ranulf and Gurni. The priest shudders.

Gurni too feels an involuntary prickling up his spine.

Edited by Orcslicer, 21 February 2010 - 11:22 AM.


#56 Eldacar

Eldacar

    Loremaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:35 PM

Allaen stepped up and looked at the skull. He frowned slightly, then spoke in his native language. "I know you can understand me, if you're in there listening right now," he said calmly. "Just remember this before you try anything - I threw you back into your box once already. I can do it again if necessary."

#57 Ashnari Doomsong

Ashnari Doomsong

    Dwarf Longbeard

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:37 PM

Gurni laughed. It had a hysterical tinge to it.
"Talking to your demon now, elf? Ah, well. It the casket is consecrated properly, at least it should be safe for now. It still leaves the question of why one would attack now, of all times. It seems too convenient to be a coincidence..."

#58 Eldacar

Eldacar

    Loremaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:48 AM

"Hardly my demon, short one," Allaen remarked. "But yes. There is something going on here, something I do not quite understand yet."

#59 Orcslicer

Orcslicer

    Dwarf King

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts
Contributor

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:15 AM

There is a knock on the door, and Ranulf quickly snaps closed the lid of the box.
"Deputy High Priest Liebnitz commands you, and all of your companions' presence in his office," says a priest in common grey Ulrican robes.
"Thank you, we shall be along shortly," replies Ranulf, looking a little worried.
The priest bobs his head in acceptance and closes the door again.
"We had better not keep him waiting," says Ranulf to the others. "When the Graf and Ar-Ulric are absent from the city, the Deputy High Priest is arguably the most powerful man within its walls."

Edited by Orcslicer, 22 February 2010 - 08:16 AM.


#60 Eldacar

Eldacar

    Loremaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:29 AM

Allaen's mouth twisted into a wry smile. "Perhaps," he said in Reikspiel.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users