Jump to content


Photo
- - - - -

Ashes Of Middenheim Chapter Four (Ic Thread)


  • Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#21 paraicj

paraicj

    Dwarf Hammerer

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:24 PM

Julen's face was a mask of disgust and sadness as he drew his sword, realising nothing else could be done for the old priest.Muttering a prayer to Shallya for mercy at what he was about to do, he pivoted on the ball of his foot and drove the point of his rapier at what used to be the priest's chest. "Farewell, Padre," he said, hoping his ending was swift.

OOC: Half action to draw sword and dagger, other half to attack, rolled a 32, so hit in the body, 9 for damage, (+4+1-1=4) so 13 overall. Still haven't rolled Ulric's Fury I think. :(

#22 Avaris

Avaris

    Dwarf Hammerer

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:44 PM

For a moment Orderic stood dumbly, his mouth agape. The writhing monstrosity that had once been Odo mewled in front of him, and for a moment their eyes met. That was enough.

With a roar of barely controlled rage and emotion, Orderic charged the beast.

OOC: Swift Attack, rolling 28 and 98 to hit on my 2 attacks. Fortune Point to reroll the 98, resulting in a 08. Damage rolls are a 9 and a 5, so 14 and 10 damage respectively. Take that!

Edited by Avaris, 11 February 2010 - 03:45 PM.


#23 Hyarion

Hyarion

    Dwarf Hammerer

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:44 PM

The sight of the Chaos Spawn was enough to put all thought of harming Father Odo out of Maeglin's mind. This was no longer the priest who had traveled the Drakwald with them for the past week, but a thing of chaos to be killed. Charging forward Maeglin was interrupted by the blinding flash of magic which threw off his balance just enough to cause his sword to miss its mark with both swings.

Actions: Swift Attack. Rolled a 94 and an 88. Whiff.

Edited by Hyarion, 11 February 2010 - 03:44 PM.


#24 Ashnari Doomsong

Ashnari Doomsong

    Dwarf Longbeard

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:15 PM

Gurni hissed; Odo was turning into this... thing before his eyes. How? Poison?
The water! Of course.

Gurni's situation was now a rather precarious one. He had no weapons and he was still rather badly roughed up from his escapades recently. He swore, but the monster seemed rather inadequate in the nimbleness department. Gurni hurled himself at it.

Rolled an 81 at the WP test, so I rerolled and got it down to 51 - which means I'm going MAAAAD. I then charge at the spawn-thing and try to wrestle it down. Now I roll 17, which I reckon should be enough. Everyone, quick, stab it!

Edit: Actually, I lied. I rolled a 52 on the reroll rather than a 51, but it's a trivial error.

Edited by Ashnari Doomsong, 12 February 2010 - 03:18 PM.


#25 Orcslicer

Orcslicer

    Dwarf King

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts
Contributor

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:16 PM

You cause a staggering 28 wounds on the beast, lopping off the flailing limbs, spewing bile and other corrosive fluids to the ground. The spawn in no way reacts to the pain, rather it continues to throw its weight at the nearest three, Julen, Orderic and Allaen (I rolled for it, in case you were wondering). It may not have talons any more, but simple contact with the fluids leaking from its belly are enough to eat through armour.

Three attacks, one against each.
Julen - 51 (miss)
Orderic - 54 (miss)
Allaen - 63 (miss)

Huh. Guess this is another monster the group is going to make short work of :)


#26 Avaris

Avaris

    Dwarf Hammerer

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 05:30 PM

Still blinded by his rage and anger, Orderic struck at the beast again and again, desperately trying to put what had once been Odo out of its misery.

OOC: Swift attack again. 22 and 88, so one hit. Given I've already used 2 of my 4 fp for the day (which I think you missed Orcy) won't try for a reroll. Alas, only rolled a 4, but thats still 9 damage total from me.

#27 paraicj

paraicj

    Dwarf Hammerer

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:39 PM

So much for a swift end to this, thought Julen, sidestepping and ducking to avoid a flailing tentacle. The creature now looked nothing like Odo, instead a mewling melange of limbs, teeth and claws writhed before them, lashing out seemingly at random from its accuracy. There was no need to take up the forms against such a foe, it would be foolish. Instead, he simply stepped around a couple of the appendages and jabbed his rapier hard into a soft-lloking spot, before diesengaging and doing the same again. It became easier the less he thought about this being the old priest.

OOC: Rolled a 20 and a 71 to hit, so one hit in the ... whatever passes for a right arm on a chaos spawn, with a 6 rolled for damage, meaning 10 overall.

EDIT: Sorry, not right arm, head.

Edited by paraicj, 14 February 2010 - 09:41 PM.


#28 Eldacar

Eldacar

    Loremaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:22 AM

Allaen backed away from the creature, realising that he would be better equipped to help from a distance than up close. Twisting his fingers into an odd configuration and muttering a word under his breath, he hurled a dart of magical force at the creature.

OOC: Back away as far as possible with a half action, and with the other half action cast Magic Dart, rolling a 7 on one die (so cast). Damage is 3, plus a roll of 4, and an additional +1 from Mighty Missile for a total of 8 wounds dealt.

#29 Orcslicer

Orcslicer

    Dwarf King

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts
Contributor

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:09 AM

Skalf, Ranulf and even Anna join in to pummel the unformed thing. Skalf's staff hits it with a dull thwack, Ranulf with the business end of a hardwood chair, and Anna with her dagger. Their attacks do little in comparison to the two fighters and the mage, who rain destruction on the flailing mass. The stench of ozone fills the room as more magic is thrown at it, overcoming for a second even the smell of the leaking spawn's fluids. It shudders, then falls heavily to the ground, slowly letting out a noise like a rumbling stomach settling.

Ranulf sets down his chair weakly. "I... uh, thank you. Again." He continues to stair at the lump of distorted flesh that was once his friend. A scream from somewhere below distracts him from speaking further.

Anna swings open the door and looks briefly out onto the corridor. "Sounds like there's more of them," she says, ashen, knowing full well if there were more such creatures of chaos it would not be her that bore the brunt of the fighting. Determined to do something, she decides not to wait for one of the others to lead and begins to run in the direction of the commotion.

Edited by Orcslicer, 15 February 2010 - 08:10 AM.


#30 Eldacar

Eldacar

    Loremaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:07 AM

"Go after her," Allaen snapped quickly at Orderic, mind quickly working through the possible courses of action that could result from poisoning the water. "I didn't heal her just to see her get herself killed, and you're her sworn protector. Julen Guerrero, Maeglin - you go with him and help get rid of any others who are beyond help. The water was poisoned with warpstone, so it makes sense that some in the temple will have drunk from it." Allaen turned away and bent over Ranulf. "Do many of your faithful have the gift of magic?" he asked. "Healing spells and the like - anything that might be powerful enough to remove or reverse mutation. Or at least strike hard enough to grant a quick death to those beyond help? Where does the water brought here come from?"

#31 Avaris

Avaris

    Dwarf Hammerer

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:47 PM

[Like I would do anything else,] Orderic shouted angrily in Bretonnian as he ran out the door, [I am more than just her sworn protector mage.] Allaen's briskness had angered him somewhat, though the fate of Odo had likely added to this. Regardless, there were other far more important things to worry about. He continued running after Anna.

OOC: As it may become important, quick check on what equipment we have. Sword obviously, but I'm not sure what armour Orderic would have. Assuming we came straight from stabling the horses he is likely still in the full suit that he was wearing for the ride (I think), but otherwise he may have considerably less. Certainly, I doubt he has his shield.

#32 paraicj

paraicj

    Dwarf Hammerer

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:09 PM

Julen stared down at the flatulent remains of what ad been a brave man and shook his head, cursing quietly in Estalian, then muttering a prayer to Shallaya. The screams and Anna's reaction shook him out of his reverie, destroying more such creatures might be a welcome distraction from the death of the old priest. If only the girl were less impetuous, not that he blamed her. He bit down a retort to the mage's peremptory orders and followed Orderic out the door towards the screams and Anna's retreating footsteps.

#33 Orcslicer

Orcslicer

    Dwarf King

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts
Contributor

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:38 PM

You have dropped off the coach and horses at the stable where you started, then went on foot a short distance until Odo led you to this secret back entrance via one of the nondescript shrines to Ulric dotted about the city. It's unlikely you would have wanted to overburden yourself, as there was a fair amount of creeping about in dark tunnels, and plate armour doesn't exactly help with that. I'd imagine that Odo would have filled you in on as much - up to you what Orderic would have decided to leave behind.

Skalf mutters something dark, and begins some kind of rite over the former priest's remains.

"Only rudimentary healers. No physicians, no priestess of Shallya. And we do not as a rule employ licenced wizards or otherwise," replies Ranulf, recovering his voice. "You being the exception, perhaps...." Ranulf trails off as Allaen's second statement hits home. "The water! Of course, the well, others may have been drinking from it! Pray Ulric that there are not many. Go quickly, and slay them... if the witch hunters get word of this..."

______________

It does not take much effort to locate the source of the commotion. Anna take several flights of spiralling service passageways until she is down on the ground floor, the others in hot pursuit. The scene that meets their eyes is one of confused panic. Servants and initiates run in all directions, some in terror, some with purpose, most without a clue what is going on. A door bursts open, and a half dozen mutated figures charge through it. The wails, it seems, come from them more than anyone else.

Edited by Orcslicer, 15 February 2010 - 04:42 PM.


#34 Hyarion

Hyarion

    Dwarf Hammerer

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 06:25 PM

Taking off down the hall after Julen, Maeglin quickly caught up to him as they burst into the main keep of the temple at the same time. Hopefully they would all be relatively easy to spot or this will be a long night. Letting loose a shout in elvish, he leaped down the last few stairs and sprinted across the great hall towards the nearest obviously mutated human. The target was dressed in a servant's garb but the age was impossible to tell since the person was now covered in fur. Not too many other details registered on the elf's senses and at the last second he lowered his shoulder and threw the mutant into the wall with a crunch.

Still have sword in hand from the spawn. I doubt I'm in range to do a charge attack so we'll do a sprint to get into attack range next round. It's really nice to have a working Internet again, sorry about the delay.

Edit for actually being in charge range. Actions: Charge Attack rolled a 9. Damage: d10(2) + SB(4) = 6 wounds.

Edited by Hyarion, 16 February 2010 - 03:56 PM.


#35 Eldacar

Eldacar

    Loremaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 03:14 AM

The knight had shouted something in his own language before running off. He could explain it later, though - right now, the important thing was to stop anybody else from drinking from the well. And from the way it sounded, the temple suffered from a dearth of skilled users of magic. The dwarf priest was performing some kind of rite, so that left one other that Allaen could hopefully enlist. "Gurni Aasgardsson," he said quickly. "I need you to come with me to the well. We need to stop any others from drinking from it, and destroy any creatures that have resulted."

#36 paraicj

paraicj

    Dwarf Hammerer

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:18 AM

Julen skidded to a halt when he saw the chaos in the hall, with initiates fleeing like cowards in all directions. Raising his voice, loaded with scorn, he shouted at those running towards him. "I had heard the followers of Ulric were a marshal order, brave warriors all. Was it a lie? Are you but frightened children? Stand and fight!" He glared like a dark eyed hawk at the young men. Having seen Ranulf pick up a chair to attack the remains of Odo, the sight of these craven boys angered him. The sight of the elf charging past him brought him back to the task in hand, and he turned his attention to the monstrosities at the other side of the room, sword and dagger held low.

OOC: Right, first chance to use Intimidate in an attempt to make the initiates show some backbone. Rolled a 34, so a pass on my S of 43, though won't beat many opposed rolls. Here's hoping! It takes a full action, so that's it for now.

#37 Orcslicer

Orcslicer

    Dwarf King

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts
Contributor

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:04 AM

Actually Hyarion, you'll be in charge range if you want to leap straight into attack.

As the mutants come through the door, they scatter in all directions. The tasks of some of the initiates becomes clear; they are moving to block the doors to obvious escape. In hot pursuit of the changed are more significant numbers of priests, armed with cudgels, candlesticks, paperweights or whatever else is to hand. The mutants that they corner are helpless to fight back, pleading for their lives as they are kicked, stabbed and bludgeoned to death.

Julen's rallying call has an effect on some of the young initiates, boys, for they barely can be called men, and they turn to face the deformed humans with the Estilean.


Anna remained rooted to the spot, unable to act. No longer through fear, but through pity. She felt ashamed, a hippocrite. Were these people so different from what she had been? The Ulricans were showing no mercy to those they caught. It wasn't a fight. It was slaughter. These people still had their minds, could no one see that?

#38 paraicj

paraicj

    Dwarf Hammerer

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 12:26 PM

Julen nodded in satisfaction as the boys turned to enter the fray. It was the duty of good men to fight chaos. He put an arm on Anna's shoulder, pushing her back towards the door they had entered. "Senorita, remain here, please. It is not safe. You have been through to much to die now against such as these." Following the boys who had turned, he threw his dagger to the nearest, "Good work, muchachos valientes. We shall end these vile things with our steel."

OOC: Half action to talk, half action to arm an initiate. Will fight next round. Julen's not the best at subtlety, sorry Anna. :)

#39 Hyarion

Hyarion

    Dwarf Hammerer

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:07 PM

Continuing his assault on the mutant Maeglin connected cleanly with his sword into the leg of the servant severing it in one blow. The elf was prepared to make a second strike but the sickening slide the servant made as it slid down the wall and made no attempt to stop itself meant a second swing was unnecessary. Returning his sword to a ready position, he began searching out another target in all the confusion.

Swift Attack on the same mutant. Rolled a 78 and 17 for 1 hit. 10 damage and a 43 for Ulric's Fury. Total Damage: d10(10)+UFd10(1)+SB(4) = 15.

Edited by Hyarion, 16 February 2010 - 04:08 PM.


#40 Orcslicer

Orcslicer

    Dwarf King

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts
Contributor

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:21 AM

Oh sod it, I'm bored of waiting. I'd guess that Gurni tags along, we'll just say Orderic takes longer to catch up because he is wighed down by more armour.

(To Allaen and Gurni)
"I will come too," announces Ranulf. "I can show the way."

He leads you at a brisk walking pace down corridors, through tapestries concealing other passages, stairs and doors, various dusty rooms, including a small chapel, before unlocking an innocuous door and swinging it open. It leads down a steep open-air stairway into a relatively small enclosed oval couryard somewhere in one of the massive temple wings. High above you, the temple stretches to the sky. So tall is it, in fact, that it is only at midday that the sun will shine directly into the area; the rest of the time it is kept in permanent shadow.

In the middle is the well.

________________________

Maeglin dispatches his mutant with ease, a scullery maid by the looks of her attire, with one effective blow.

The one that Julen confronts drops to his knees, cowering with his hands above his head. His face has half turned to thick black fur.
"Please... mercy! Have pity!"

Edited by Orcslicer, 17 February 2010 - 10:22 AM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users