Photo
- - - - -

Ashes Of Middenheim Chapter Four (Ic Thread)

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#1 Orcslicer

Orcslicer

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts
Contributor

Posted 06 February 2010 - 06:29 PM

Avaris - post in the last thread of chapter 3, Eldy is going to post here, as his request is part of a new plot of sorts.

Having heard the other requests, Father Ranulf turns back to Allaen. "Very well, Mage, your request?"

#2 Eldacar

Eldacar

Loremaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:39 AM

Allaen considered what to say. "While I was assisting with the recovery of the skull," he said, "a book was stolen from me. A grimoire containing the secrets of magic, written by my people. It was taken by a Sigmarite Witch Hunter, Benedict by name, who also issued a 'wanted' status for me." No reward, though, he added silently to himself. It would have been oddly flattering if there had been one. "Some time later, I received a message from a brigand calling himself 'Phantom' who not only has a means of getting information out of this temple, but who also seeks to gain the skull. He said I should trade the skull for my book, so I presumed that the Witch Hunter had been killed. Earlier today, as we re-entered the city, I spotted that same Witch Hunter. To me, the most logical explanation is that for whatever reason, he gave the book to Phantom. It is entirely possible that he is in league with him. What I would ask, then, is threefold: for the continued backing of the Temple of Ulric, since there seems to be a deeper conspiracy here than was first thought, your assistance in regaining my grimoire, and lastly if the Temple could assist in removing the 'wanted' status from my head."

#3 Orcslicer

Orcslicer

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts
Contributor

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:07 AM

Ranulf shifts restlessly in his chair, and settles in a position of leaning forward, fingers tented. He licks his lips.
"I shall answer your third point first. With regard to the city watch, the temple has considerable sway. And Commander Schutzmann spoke highly of your group, I am sure if he is made aware of this we can get your wanted status retracted. I shall vouch for you."

"To the first point, and I stress this most strongly, you will receive no official backing from the temple. This mission was a covert one, and anything to draw attention to it, or your actions, is a danger I will not permit. You have friends within, in the form of Odo and myself, but do not expect public endorsement or gr-."

Ranulf is interrupted by a knock at the door. "Excuse me a moment." He strides across the room, opens the door slightly, and holds a short murmured conversation with the visitor. He returns with a tray of drinks, wine and water, as he earlier requested, and a platter of cheeses to go with it. He begins to pour out the wine, and offers the cheeses to be passed around.

"Now, where was I? Yes, as to your second point. It relates strongly to the first. If you can give to me proof of heresy, then the temple can act. Without it, I cannot sanction any help without raising eyebrows."

"Ranulf," says Odo from his seat. He has been sat quietly through all the proceedings and looked for anything like he had fallen asleep. "I did promise Allaen I..."

"A promise that was not yours to make." He looks Allaen in the eye. "I am sorry if Odo misled you."

#4 Eldacar

Eldacar

Loremaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 12:48 PM

"I see," Allaen said, nodding but waving away the food and drink. He didn't feel particularly hungry right now. "I thank you for your offer to vouch for me in having my status as a wanted person revoked. And while official backing would be helpful, one must make do with the tools one is given. To the matter of heresy..." he paused before continuing. If it was a delicate political matter, as he had sensed some hinting of, perhaps it would be good to acquire some form of background on the situation first. "What sort of tensions exist between the Sigmarite and Ulrican churches? I am aware enough of the Empire's history to know that Sigmar is reputedly a mortal who managed to reach godhood, but beyond that, is there something in his mortal or divine life that indicated some form of challenge or meeting between he himself and the faith of Ulric? I believe the latter has been worshipped since before Sigmar was deified, no?"

#5 Orcslicer

Orcslicer

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts
Contributor

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:53 PM

"The tensions between the two churches run deep, stemming from the time of Sigmar himself. You are aware, perhaps that humans led a tribal existence before the unification under Sigmar. I will not dwell on his story, as it is well known. Suffice to say that he rescued the dwarf king, Kurgan Ironbeard, and together men and dwarfs turned back the Orc menace at Blackfire Pass.

Now Sigmar was an Unberogen. The leader of the Teutogens, (the men of this land), was Artur, a proud man and chosen of Ulric. He refused to submit to be second to Sigmar, and the tribe only submitted to unification upon Artur's death in single combat with Sigmar. This settled the matter for a time, and Sigmar was pronounced first emperor.

You will known of course, that Ulric was the dominant god and figure of worship at that time. It was not until twenty five years after Sigmar mysteriously left the Empire, some fifty years after taking the throne, that a man name Helstrum came forward, claiming visions of Sigmar being crowned by Ulric as a new deity. This sect grew with such popularity that in the southern lands it soon overshadowed Ulric's glory. You will find deep political misgivings throughout history based on this division. There are Ulricans who claim that Helstrum was a madman, and that Sigmar is no more devine than you or I. That, my friend, is why the situation is so delicate. The church of Sigmar insists on maintaining a presence here, and is always seeking to exploit political capital."

He lifts his glass of wine and raises it as a toast. "Ulric's blessing upon you."

#6 Eldacar

Eldacar

Loremaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 02:13 AM

"I see. But did Sigmar worship Ulric during his lifetime? Did he accomplish things that would have marked him as receiving the wolf god's blessing? And more recently, your Emperor... Magnus? He had to prove that he had the support of both Sigmar and Ulric, did he not?"

#7 Hyarion

Hyarion

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:49 PM

Maeglin eagerly reached for a glass of wine, if the pointless (in his opinion) arguing about Sigmar and the Church of Ulric was going to continue much longer, he would need it.

#8 Orcslicer

Orcslicer

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts
Contributor

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:25 AM

Ranulf takes a long sip from his glass before lowering it to his side. "It is of no doubt that Sigmar was the favoured of Ulric. A mighty warrior, fierce and proud in his own right. The dwarf records I believe even make mention of him in such a way: ...and he fought with the strength of Ulric..., or something similar. Yes, it can be of no doubt, that Sigmar would have been a follower of Ulric."

"Magnus was a simple priest of Sigmar who emerged from the turmoil..." He was interrupted by an odd choked cough from Odo. "... turmoil, and proved he also had Ulric's blessing by..." Again, Odo gives a wheezing cough, and tries to loosen his cassock. "Where was I? Yes, Magnus stepped through the Flame of Ulric unscathed, and this..." Odo interrupted a third time, this time clawing at his throat. "Excuse me, Allaen. Are you all right old friend? You sound like you could do with some more water?"

Odo staggerers to his feet, trying to say something. "Iduneeeeruuur" is all he manages to get out, before falling to his knees and heaving, as though about to vomit.

"What's wrong with him?" cries Ranulf. He hurries to the door of his office and swings it open. "Guards! Get a healer up here! Odo has taken ill!"

Edited by Orcslicer, 09 February 2010 - 12:26 AM.

#9 Eldacar

Eldacar

Loremaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:16 AM

Allaen looked at Odo, willing his mage-sight to focus on the priest as he searched for anything that might explain what was wrong - if there was indeed a magical cause. If he was just ill, there was little that Allaen could do.

OOC: Look hard at Odo with mage-sight.

#10 Hyarion

Hyarion

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:49 PM

There was little Maeglin could do in the current situation, and once the healers arrived he would simply be in the way. He was however now fully alert.

#11 Orcslicer

Orcslicer

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts
Contributor

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:15 PM

Hmm, I've just re-read the background and rules on witchsight, and I've been rather generous with it in the past. I've also rather misinterpreted how you see with it. It's supposed to be a dangerous sense to attune to, and a fickle one. I guess this is bad news for you Eldy, but from now on I'll be rolling to determine what happens when you express a wish to use your witchsight (as suggested by RoS) - and it's generally going to be challenging. A fail may mean nothing or something misleading. A bad fail may mean gaining an IP. Just FYI. I'll let slide this time.

I will still let you know if you see things without looking for them, as may occasionally occur.

Allaen sees a concentration of all the different winds into a shimmering liquid in the water jug on the table, and Odo is now coughing out foggy clouds of similar stuff.

Odo heaves again and with a disgusting slock an engorged tongue spews out of his mouth. It is bloated and around three times as long as it should be. On the tip, a small bird-like head seems to gnash and snap and try to break free, revealing many small jagged teeth. Odo rolls over, staring wildly at Julen, his eyes pleading for help. Within moments, his body begins to convulse violently.

Willpower checks for insanity everyone :)
EDIT: yep, FP are allowed for rerolls.

Edited by Orcslicer, 09 February 2010 - 11:18 PM.

#12 Eldacar

Eldacar

Loremaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:50 AM

OOC: 3. Pass with flying colours.

#13 Avaris

Avaris

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:32 AM

"By the Lady!"

Shocked by the sudden daemonic change in Odo, Orderic drew his sword almost reflexively. The horror before him made him hesitate however, unsure as to what to do...

55 on the WP test, but then a 21 on the re-roll, so a pass. Also, Orderic will have accepted the offer of the breastplate; better than nothing.

#14 paraicj

paraicj

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:07 PM

OOC: rolled 42, FP, rolled 13, so safe this time. WP of 30 is a bit "I Swear too much"...

Julen's eyes bulged in horror as Odo turned towards him. The naked pleading in the Padre's face demanded action, but there was nothing he could do in the face of such terror. He barely kept a hold of his mind, felt it slip for a second, then became himself again. He had seen worse. Probably.

"Skalf, Allaen, you must do something! This is surely foul magick!"

#15 Eldacar

Eldacar

Loremaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:37 PM

"No," Allaen said quietly, shaking his head in something like sadness as he watched the priest and shifted his vision back into the 'normal' spectrum of things. He had found himself liking the human, truly. "He drank water tainted with what I suspect is warpstone. Even now, it is changing him, altering his body to conform to its new shape." The mage sighed. "I simply do not have the strength to heal him. Draw your sword and be ready."

Edited by Eldacar, 10 February 2010 - 02:37 PM.

#16 Orcslicer

Orcslicer

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts
Contributor

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:12 PM

"Please!" says Anna to Allaen, eyes wide in horror. "You helped me. Do it for him!"

"If he's a lost cause, what are we waiting for?" growls Skalf. "Slay him and be done!" He raises his quarterstaff, but wavers, unable to let himself bring it down on the priest's head. He too had grown attached to the old man. The mounstrous tounge protruding from Odo's mouth flaps and strains, snapping at the boot of the priest of Gazul.

Edited by Orcslicer, 10 February 2010 - 04:12 PM.

#17 Hyarion

Hyarion

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:21 PM

Maeglin gagged on the taste of bile as he saw dark wisps of Dhar begin pouring from Odo's eyes, nose, ears, and most strongly from his mouth. The silhouette of the bird head against the sickly glow of Dhar caused Maeglin to vomit the wine he'd just drunk but was quick enough to avoid fouling himself. Fortunately the upset stomach was the worst effect and the elf was able to keep control of his mind as he reached for his sword.

Rolled 43 for the WP test barely passed. 18 for the Ag test to avoid vomiting on self. Actions: Draw sword.

#18 Eldacar

Eldacar

Loremaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:45 PM

"I do not believe that I have the strength, Anna Abendroth," Allaen repeated. "If I could help him I would, but it was near-impossible for me to help you. This is much more potent, and to heal him..." He frowned. "Somebody slice the tongue off," he said. "Minimise the amount of mutated flesh if you can - it may help slow its spread. And restrain him." The mage froze as a thought struck him. "Who else would have drunk that water?" he asked Ranulf.

OOC: If anybody wonders why he's being so coldly logical, I figured it would help illustrate his passing the WP test.

#19 Orcslicer

Orcslicer

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts
Contributor

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:58 AM

Ranulf does not reply, instead he gapes at the mutating priest, a look of absolute horror on his face. Odo's convulsing body begins to bubble and swell, his arms elongate into puckerless tentacles and scales and boils begin to sprout sporadically over his body. Unsymmetrical talons sprout from the tentacles, and the spawn continues to grow, looking less and less human, and more like a disgusting engorged and obese child.

With an asinine roar, it launches itself forward and begins to lash out in all directions.

Initiative (no point rolling really... the spawn is rather low on agility)
Everyone else
Spawn

If you haven't drawn a weapon, or don't have one on you for some reason, you can arm youself with a suitable improvised object. Ranaulf grabs a chair.

#20 Eldacar

Eldacar

Loremaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:51 PM

Allaen swore in his own language. "If he was beyond help before, then all that can be done now is to give him death," he said, sketching a symbol in the air before his eyes. Finished, he murmured a soft series of liquid syllables, touching his eyelids, and then looked at the creature that the priest had become, feeling the Winds of Magic surge around him. It felt... weaker, here, and for a moment he thought it might not work. But then he was rewarded by the familiar feel of building power, before it began to flow outwards.

OOC: Two dice on Radiant Gaze, with a 4 and a 3, so cast (CN 7). Damage roll was a 7, so 7+6+1 (roll + base damage + Mighty Missile) brings the total to 14.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users