18 replies to this topic

#1 Baardur

Baardur

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:28 PM

I have alway been thinking that if dwarfs should have cavalry, they should ride mountain rams. A giant version of the ones living in the alps. So i have attempted to make a conversion. And now i''m really not shure what to think of it. At tha same time as i think its a cool conversion I think its a bit off. It kinda both looks as aram at the same time looking like something else.

Oh and i'm out of GS so i wont get further with it in any time soon. so i was hoping to use it as it is. Maybe as a unit filler...Posted ImagePosted Image

So do you think it can work? Does it look like a ram to anyone else or is it just "I Swear too much". I used a Orc boar as a basis. And i kinda liked the combination of saddle/chariot on its back so that the dwarf could stand on it.

#2 ironlord

ironlord

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:32 PM

he looks good, would make a great shieldbearers unit, nice work on the ram's skull
can i suggest an improvement?
the base that the model is standing on seems a bit jagged, you could either smooth it down a bit more (just with a file) or make a base with some plasticard if you can, its just a little touch that will add something more too a great model

#3 Bucket Kjell

Bucket Kjell

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:36 PM

I think what looks a bit odd is the neck of the ram. Now it is a bulls neck, large and taller than the head.

Everything else looks really good.

cheers
Posted Image

#4 Ingway Ironfist

Ingway Ironfist

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:59 PM

The best dwarf cavalry figure i've seen ,so much better than all those bears?

#5 Karak_Varn_Raider

Karak_Varn_Raider

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:36 PM

Nice work. You can definitely tell what it is, so no worries there.

I think that it looks a little like a bantha from Star Wars, but other than that it's a fine fig. I especially like the saddle-fortress thing you've got going there.

#6 Baardur

Baardur

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:27 PM

Thanks for feedback :)

About the base: it will be based with sand and grassflock inline with the other figs of my army. I use adeptus battlegrey on edges and sand. then astronomican grey and white highlights so it ooks like a light snowfall. So the uneven parts wont show whe i'm finished.

The neck: Maybe thats what seemed odd to me too? Dunno, but it will be hard to do something with because of the boar which is the basis is, like other mounts in the GW range, Hollow. If I was to trim the neck down it ould leave a huge hoe in the model. I was thinking of making more fur though to even it out but rn out of GS and its hard to get where I live. (Got like 5000miles to nearest GW outlet, and ordering fromGW to Norway is an expensive thing because of customs)

Well, well. Again thaks for C&C, will post pictures as I proceed with the model.

#7 Gorim Shieldbearer

Gorim Shieldbearer

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:02 PM

Is it based on a boar?? If so, you should narrow down the chest, since rams aren't that wide...

#8 Gramnir

Gramnir

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:12 PM

I think it looks great. I agree on the neck being a bit high, but it doesnt really matter. I like that its that broad and stout, makes it very dwarfish. the saddle/fortress might be a bit big for such a "small" mount, but looks nice.

Good luck with the projekt :pirates:

#9 Ironfoundersson

Ironfoundersson

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:33 PM

Really like the model! It looks great, and your greenstuff skills are very good. The one thing I found is that the saddle is a little chunky for my liking. That being said, I would like to politely disagree with my fellow Dawi and say that a sheep is only half the size it appears to be, and I've seen some intimidatingly large sheep shorn down to little pencils, so having a bull-ish looking neck is really fairly insignificant in the life of a sheep, especially if you're doing a winter base; who in their right mind would sheer a sheep in winter?

-- Ironfoundersson

Edited by Ironfoundersson, 15 March 2010 - 08:33 PM.

#10 Craken

Craken

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:10 AM

I think the model looks great woul like to see a unit like that.
I actually made stats for Dwarf Ram Riders about a year ago, this is what I had, tell me what you think Posted Image

Dwarven Ram Riders

RARE 25pts/model

.................M WS BS S T W I A LD
Ram Rider 3 5 3 4 4 1 2 1 9
Champion 3 5 3 4 4 1 2 2 9
Great Ram 7 3 0 3 4 1 3 1 4

Unit size 5+

Weapons and armor: Hand weapon, gromdril armor, shield

Options:
Give Great Rams Barding.........................+4pts/model

Comand:
Upgrade ram rider to champion........................16pts
Upgrade ram rider to Musician............................8pts
Upgrade ram rider to Standard Bearer.............16pts
May have Magic Standard up to 50 pts

Unit may exchange shields for GW.....................+2pts/model
Unit may have throwing axes.............................+2pts/model

Special Rules
Mountain Home; Ram Charge; Stubborn

Mountain Home: The great rams are native to the mountains and are quite skilled at moving up and down steer slopes with no problems. Thus Dwarven ram riders can move through any rocky terrain as though it was open terrain, even if designated as impassible, This also allows them to stop on such terrain. The normal rules still apply for non-rocky terrain, such as woods, water features, ect.

Ram Charge: Great Rams have massive horns and spend most of their lives challenging others of thier species, and intruders to a ram charge. The ram riders have Yolked this talent into combat, making them very effective on the charge. The great ram recives +2 Strength on the turn that it has charged.

Edited by Craken, 16 March 2010 - 03:10 AM.

#11 Cadillac

Cadillac

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:31 AM

@Baardur: Fantastic model, can't wait to see it painted. :yes:

@Craken: Rules are great, but I would drop/replace the Mountain Home rule, it's just a little bit too much. ;)

Cheers :drinks:

#12 Maxxev

Maxxev

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:46 PM

Nice work, and it;'s a fantasy creature, doesn't matter about the width of it or it's neck size. it looks pretty darn good to me.

And to Ingway Ironfist I say :tease:

#13 Piru

Piru

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:11 AM

I would change Mountain Home to:

Mountain Home: The great rams are native to the mountains and are quite skilled at moving up and down steer slopes with no problems. Thus Dwarven ram riders can move through any rocky terrain as though it was open terrain, even if designated as impassible (excluding high rock walls and cliff faces which are just to steep, as determined and agreed by both players at the start of the game) , This also allows them to stop on such terrain. The normal rules still apply for non-rocky terrain, such as woods, water features, ect.

A ram isn't a wall crawler like the night gobbo spider riders. It would be to easy to just march over a stronghold wall into the defensive lines of an empire castle lord for example. Maybe the rule doesn't count when you have them equipped with barding?

#14 Rambunctious

Rambunctious

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:55 PM

I played Warhammer Online for 18 months (maximum level with all four Dwarf classes, of course!) and one of the biggest debates among the Dwarf-player community was the mount option. Games Workshop refused to allow Mythic to use any kind of animal mount for Dwarfs - period. It was just banned even from concept stages. Mechanical mounts were the only option.

Warhammer Online, for those who don't know, use a gyropack for a Dwarf mount: concept art here. On the whole, the players hated it. It is grudgingly known as the "roflcopter".

The other idea that was in the running was the beer-powered cart: concept art here.

Personally I never really liked either of the ideas but have never been able to think up a better alternative. That being said, the beer-cart would be awesomely awesome on the table-top (just not in an MMO). It has never sat well with me that the slowest moving army in Warhammer, which also has by far the most superior technology and crafting skills in Warhammer, would still walk everywhere. The Gyrocopter is a step in the right direction but it's not exactly something you would expect to become a common means of transport.

Perhaps something like an armoured personal carrier? Make it fragile like the Gyrocopter but capable of carrying maybe 5 - 10 Dwarfs at relatively decent speeds, maybe 6 - 8 inches? Special choice?

Just throwing out ideas at midnight here.

#15 Craken

Craken

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:10 PM

I would change Mountain Home to:

Mountain Home: The great rams are native to the mountains and are quite skilled at moving up and down steer slopes with no problems. Thus Dwarven ram riders can move through any rocky terrain as though it was open terrain, even if designated as impassible (excluding high rock walls and cliff faces which are just to steep, as determined and agreed by both players at the start of the game) , This also allows them to stop on such terrain. The normal rules still apply for non-rocky terrain, such as woods, water features, ect.

A ram isn't a wall crawler like the night gobbo spider riders. It would be to easy to just march over a stronghold wall into the defensive lines of an empire castle lord for example. Maybe the rule doesn't count when you have them equipped with barding?

That's a great Idea. I moved the ram rider rules to the "Dwarven Tavern" as I feel that my post is taking away from Baardur's sculpting. So you can find it on there with Piru's sugested change.

#16 Ingway Ironfist

Ingway Ironfist

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:32 PM

@Maxxev bit of a bear lover then "DODGY"!!(Dwarves take axes to war not thier teddies)!!

#17 Maxxev

Maxxev

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:31 PM

@Maxxev bit of a bear lover then "DODGY"!!(Dwarves take axes to war not thier teddies)!!

(see my signature).

I was going to use my bear riders as unit fillers and mercenary ogres.... however I think the conversions worked so well that I'm now currently in the process of converting an Ogre kingdoms army with no ogres in it....

#18 Ingway Ironfist

Ingway Ironfist

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:15 PM

@Maxxev Lol, i love your bears and the way you paint them, got to see the ogre army with no ogres !!

#19 Gormrik

Gormrik

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:32 PM

I LOVE this model in every aspect and size measures its awesome Posted Image !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users