72 replies to this topic

#41 Karak_Varn_Raider

Karak_Varn_Raider

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:15 PM

There should be an entire Karak Varn campaign against the greenskins and the rat-men. This would be great if the Dwarves could get help from the empire (can't remember which province is closest to Karak Varn). I'm working on a Karak-Varn themed battleboard, and it would be great to get to use it in an awesome campaign.

Just so everyone knows, I'm completely impartial in this judgement. Ignore my screen name, people.

#42 Baardur

Baardur

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:50 PM

Hatred towards High Elfs
Beef up the runelords/runesmiths by giving the some runes that are more than one use only, more dispell abilities overall.

How about adding a Rune of Reflection. Runesmith/Runelord only: Reflects the spell back at the caster on succesful use of dispel dice. Can be taken in multiples as an upgraded dispel scroll/rune.

I'd also like to see some kind of new steampowered, landbased warmachine

Then I would also like more special characters. I like the guildmaster idea. And also the miners as Ironbreaker attachment.

Thorek needs a nerf.

I also think we lack a centerpiece. something big.
Some of my ideas are

bears or giant mountainrams as mounts for thanes/lords or even a new hero/lord choice (beast tamer or something, a rangerlike hero)

Golems or steampowered automatatons. perhaps as mounts ( in the WHFRP doomstones campaign one of the doomstones was guarded by dwarven runegolems in an abandoned dwarfhold)

warmammoths crewed by 2-3 dwarfs: or herded maybe

some slow heavy cavalry: Ram riders. M 5 on mounts. maybe a rare choice

This might be the most farfetched and most unlikely, but would be fun:

Bring Gnomes into the game as conscript in the dwarf armylist. Use the background from the 1st ed. WHFRP and make em light, cheap T2 expendable units for the dwarf army. In the Old world of WHFRP the gnomes are closely related to dwarfs and live in largest numbers on the western foothills of the Worlds edge mountains. They are smiths, inventors and tinkers above all. They even speak a gnomish dialect of Khaalid called Ghazalid. Imagine a gnomish inventor in the role the ME has now allowing for some whacky inventions to be put on warmachines. Anyway its so unlikely that i'm not shure why I bothered writing it but anyway. I've never heard of gnoblars before the Ogre Kingdoms got into the game either.<BR><BR>

#43 Maxl Rose

Maxl Rose

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:11 AM

I would like to see a army wide rule like this one

Dauntless: Terror is treated as fear, all fear checks are take on 3 dice taking the lowest 2

its not too strong but plays in to the fluff of dwarfs wanting to stay in the fight, ya know

#44 Ebrick

Ebrick

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:39 AM

we've all complained about rangers enough, i figured i'd just rewrite them how i'd like to see them. since bugman is sort of the "ranger" hero, i went ahead and rewrote him too. he's also my favorite, btw. i didnt add base point values, because i honestly dont know what they would be.

Possible Ranger Remake:

Josef Bugman

M 3, ws 6, bs 5, s 4, t 5, w 2, I 4, a 3, ld 10

Weapons: rune axe, crossbow, throwing axe

Armor: gromril and a shield.

Ranger: bugman may join a unit of rangers and has the scout special rule.

Bugman’s rangers: a unit of rangers that bugman joins is considered to be “bugman’s rangers”. They gain +1 toughness for their experience.

Bugman’s Magic items:

The Bugman Family Axe which bears the runes of fury and cleaving.

Bugman’s Mug – Bugman carries with him the family Tankard, which will never run dry of ale. Bugman and friendly figures in base to base contact with him (or 1" if not ranked) gain a 6+ ward save, for the beer which floes from this mug is so uplifting that it persuades even the most injured dwarf to ignore his wounds and fight on.

Bugman’s Beer Cart

Driver: m 3, ws 5, bs 3, s 4, t 4, w 1, i 2, a 2, ld 9

The cart: t 7, w 3

Bugman’s beer cart is considered a war machine with a crew of 1. If the driver should ever fall, any other dwarf in the unit may take his place. The cart will always occupy the last two ranks of a unit (base size 40mm x 40mm). the beer cart always accompanies bugman, and must start the game in the same unit as him. If he is in a ranger unit, it gains the scout rule. The driver is considered to be armed with a hand weapon, heavy armor, shield, great weapon, crossbow, and throwing axe (he has the room to store it).

Party foul: if the beer cart should ever take a wound, every friendly unit in 12” gains frenzy for one turn.

Unbreakable: Bugman’s brew has gone from the most popular ale in the land to the most rare. Every dwarf alive would rather stand and die than see another drop be spilt, or worse yet, drunk by greenskins. The beer cart gives the unit it’s in Unbreakable.

Drink Up!: at the beginning of every round, choose one beer for the cart driver to pass throughout the unit.

- Bugman’s Bitter – the original Bugman’s Brew, started by old Zamnil. It seems to be lucky, and the unit may reroll failed rolls to hit.

- Bugman’s XXXXXX – the classic, bugman’s XXXXXX fills each dwarf’s heart with pride and nostalgia. the unit is immune to psychology.

- Troll Brew – some say it’s made with real troll. the unit gains regenerate.

- Castle XXXXXXXXX – this could be Bugman’s best yet. It was created to celebrate the reforming of the rangers and inspires them to fight hard for the day the brewery might be taken back. The unit gains Killing Blow

Rangers - Core unit

M 3, ws 4, bs 3, s 3, t 4, w 1, i 2, a 1, ld 9

Unit size: 5+

Weapons and armor: heavy armor, hand weapon, great weapons, shields, throwing axes

Options:

-may exchange great weapons for crossbows for free.

- may upgrade to longbeards for +3 pts a model. Longbeards have +1 ws, +1 str. You may not have more longbeard units than standard rangers.

- may upgrade one ranger to champion for 10 pts. He gains +1 attack.

Special rules: scout, skirmisher, forester

not a whole lot of changes to rangers, just made them simpler and gave them what they should have.
bugman sucks as is, so i wanted to give him both flavor and a reason to be taken. i didnt change him too much, just made the mug better and updated the B-rangers to be more like what the specialty heroes seem to be doing these days. the beer cart is really what i think makes him worth it. i borrowed some ideas from other games, and listened to what was suggested for the different brews on the boards, and kind of blended it all into something fun and flavorful. can you imagine the image of a big ol' cart loaded up with beer bursting out of a forest like something out of fast and the furious? i also left room in the wording for it to be able to leave the unit (similar to how a hero might) and run away to quench the thirst of some hammerers or something. it just has to start with Bugman.
thoughts?
Mhinz Abeir!

edit: i actually made this on word, where the lines werent spaced out. sorry for taking so much room.

Edited by Ebrick, 30 January 2010 - 04:46 AM.

#45 Ebrick

Ebrick

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:52 AM

Hatred towards High Elfs
Beef up the runelords/runesmiths by giving the some runes that are more than one use only, more dispell abilities overall.

Then I would also like more special characters. I like the guildmaster idea. And also the miners as Ironbreaker attachment.

Thorek needs a nerf.

I also think we lack a centerpiece. something big.
Some of my ideas are

bears or giant mountainrams as mounts for thanes/lords or even a new hero/lord choice (beast tamer or something, a rangerlike hero)

Golems or steampowered automatatons. perhaps as mounts ( in the WHFRP doomstones campaign one of the doomstones was guarded by dwarven runegolems in an abandoned dwarfhold)

This might be the most farfetched and most unlikely, but would be fun:

Bring Gnomes into the game as conscript in the dwarf armylist. Use the background from the 1st ed. WHFRP and make em light, cheap T2 expendable units for the dwarf army. In the Old world of WHFRP the gnomes are closely related to dwarfs and live in largest numbers on the western foothills of the Worlds edge mountains. They are smiths, inventors and tinkers above all. They even speak a gnomish dialect of Khaalid called Ghazalid. Imagine a gnomish inventor in the role the ME has now allowing for some whacky inventions to be put on warmachines. Anyway its so unlikely that i'm not shure why I bothered writing it but anyway. I've never heard of gnoblars before the Ogre Kingdoms got into the game either.<BR><BR>

i like all of these.

#46 jayfuture187

jayfuture187

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 11:12 AM

I like your thoughts on Bugmans Rangers Ebrick, but I think they should have +1 BS To represent the fact they they spend all there time on the grobkul & should cause fear to greenskins such is there reputation......

#47 ross muldoon

ross muldoon

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 11:28 AM

I like that for bugman caausing fear,for me im dont mind what we get but.. id like runes on the "new"warmachines flamecannon,organcannon,gyrocoter.also the hewer to be brought in its on my shelf at the moment gathering dust,il be excited to see new charaters n abilties esp new metal looking charater models,im not to keen on golems idea

muldoon

#48 Thoin Ironfist

Thoin Ironfist

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 04:15 AM

Nice ideas on the Rangers Ebrick. I have a feeling you like that unit huh?

I like your thoughts on Bugmans Rangers Ebrick, but I think they should have +1 BS To represent the fact they they spend all there time on the grobkul & should cause fear to greenskins such is there reputation......

This is a good idea and nice fluff idea behind it Jay!

#49 Thorin Brightshield

Thorin Brightshield

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:06 AM

I hope that we might get some system to attach thenes and lords to different units, not everyone likes Hammers [New Hammer Models are need too]. I like to see something to add us aginst the Double disadvantage of low I and Maneverablity but I am at a lost to understand what. I like our Infantry to be better so that we don't have to fall back on gunline just to take on certien armies that have massive Tricks [High Elves, Demons, Ogres, Vampire Count] I also like a re-balance on Magic in some way I take Wizard like Characters that can't cast anything. Either Rune Preast need better Combat stats, or we should get more defence out of them because if some Magics out we are running behind the eight ball for it. Oh more Femlae Dwarf models.

#50 Ingway Ironfist

Ingway Ironfist

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:52 AM

I would like to lose the paragraph about rune weapons losing thier original bonuses,runes are put on weapons to enhance and improve them and can't stop them being what they are(a GW is a GW it dosen't matter what it has inscribed onit).This also means we get rid of the MRofKragg so replace with the MRofThorek Ironbrow as per the book.I would also get rid of the rune of brotherhood this implies miners and rangers can't have thanes from amongst thier ranks.
slayers should get thier skills as per the storm of chaos and lord should be able to pick one aswell we allso need doomseekers if only for the fun factor.
I think what we will actuarlly get (judging from the last few books)will be a new character(miner?) the anvil might turn into a mobile shrine and a couple of veteran characters(from holds none of us use sothey will be usless but the figures might look nice).

#51 jayfuture187

jayfuture187

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 01:20 PM

I would like to lose the paragraph about rune weapons losing thier original bonuses,runes are put on weapons to enhance and improve them and can't stop them being what they are(a GW is a GW it dosen't matter what it has inscribed onit).This also means we get rid of the MRofKragg so replace with the MRofThorek Ironbrow as per the book.I would also get rid of the rune of brotherhood this implies miners and rangers can't have thanes from amongst thier ranks.
slayers should get thier skills as per the storm of chaos and lord should be able to pick one aswell we allso need doomseekers if only for the fun factor.
I think what we will actuarlly get (judging from the last few books)will be a new character(miner?) the anvil might turn into a mobile shrine and a couple of veteran characters(from holds none of us use sothey will be usless but the figures might look nice).

If you removed the limitations on Great Weapons then they would become far to powerful our lords already have WS7 a Great Weapon that already strikes at S6 with 3 Runes of cleaving would make the weapon S9 which IMO is to extreme, Normal Runic weapons should still get there parry bonus, The Anvil should stay as it is only Thorek that needs a bit of a tweak.

#52 Ingway Ironfist

Ingway Ironfist

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 01:41 PM

I don't think S9 is to high(with Rof migth and cleaving you can get S10 on T5+ targets)that wasn't what i had in mind it was that you could place a different master rune such asMof swiftness or breaking but i do think it would be a bit of a waste to just put 3 runes of cleaving on.

#53 nasher

nasher

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:25 PM

Well guys,
and hairy women....
I suspect that the new 8th ED WHFB will change a few things up and it'll be interesting to see what comes of it in August. The movement issue may be resolved, but we'll have to wait and see. Otherwise I'd just like to see points drop all across the board for the dwarfs say 20% at least. :dance3: That would fix a few things and... oh and maybe a big gribbly hehe.

#54 jayfuture187

jayfuture187

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:03 PM

I don't think S9 is to high(with Rof migth and cleaving you can get S10 on T5+ targets)that wasn't what i had in mind it was that you could place a different master rune such asMof swiftness or breaking but i do think it would be a bit of a waste to just put 3 runes of cleaving on.

So you want a Great weapon that always strikes first that deals instant death on the roll of a 2+? Posted Image i like the thinking behind it but unfortunatly GW wont do that seeing as it has always been this way with the runes dwarfs already dominate the other races when it comes to magical Weapons and Armour, plus its a sure fire way of making our dwarf lords even more likely to be avoided.

Edited by jayfuture187, 31 January 2010 - 05:04 PM.

#55 jayfuture187

jayfuture187

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:42 PM

My wish list for the next Dwarf Army book.

1- To be taken seriously fluff wise.
2- Rangers to get the Forresters rule back
3- Slayers to become skirmishers
4- Slayers to get deathblow special rule
5-Gyros get to drop bombs and get the crash rule back
6-Rune that gives us killing blow
7-Ironbreakers get rune of stone upgrade(1+ AS)
8-Shield wall special rule(Negates charge bonus)
9-Hammerers get Gromril Armour
10- Special Characters to return( Kazador, Damminson etc)

just a few off the top of my head Posted Image

Edited by jayfuture187, 31 January 2010 - 05:42 PM.

#56 Ebrick

Ebrick

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:55 AM

Nice ideas on the Rangers Ebrick. I have a feeling you like that unit huh?

This is a good idea and nice fluff idea behind it Jay!

well, i like bugman, thus i've been forced to repeatedly see how terrible they are. so much so that after about the twentieth game, i just remade bugman as a lord with some fun tweaks.

#57 Steve TU

Steve TU

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:04 PM

My wish list for the next Dwarf Army book.

1- To be taken seriously fluff wise.
2- Rangers to get the Forresters rule back
3- Slayers to become skirmishers
4- Slayers to get deathblow special rule
5-Gyros get to drop bombs and get the crash rule back
6-Rune that gives us killing blow
7-Ironbreakers get rune of stone upgrade(1+ AS)
8-Shield wall special rule(Negates charge bonus)
9-Hammerers get Gromril Armour
10- Special Characters to return( Kazador, Damminson etc)

just a few off the top of my head Posted Image

Agree with all bar 3 and 8. (8 would mean few would engage and just shoot us and would immediatly make bretonnians an effective auto win for dwarfs).

Would add in

1. One core slayer unit if slayer character taken
2. Strollaz rune able to be taken on a unit standard.

#58 Demrog

Demrog

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:43 AM

Re the rangers... I really like the idea and intend to ask my gaming group if I can field them, but tweaked slightly

What do you think of this?

Rangers - Core unit. Points/Model: 13

M 3, WS 4, BS 4, S 3, T 4, W 1, I 2, A 1, Ld 9

Unit size: 10+

Weapons and armor: heavy armor, hand weapon, great weapons, shields, throwing axes

Options:

-may exchange great weapons for crossbows for free.
- may upgrade to longbeards for +3 pts a model. Longbeards have +1 ws, +1 str. You may not have more longbeard units than standard rangers.
- may upgrade one ranger to champion for 10 pts. He gains +1 attack.

Special rules: scout, skirmisher, forester

Points wise I kept them at the same as they would cost now to build the same unit. increased the BS to 4 as per a reply further up which i think is a good idea, and increased the unit size to 10+ to offset the special rules they get plus the extra BS.

I hope you dont mind me using and amending your idea.

#59 Filup

Filup

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:26 PM

What do they need forester rule for, if they already have skirmish? Unless you thinking about changing the forester rule to something completely new... I like the BS4. This woulb make an exellent trade. I would make throwing axes exchengable for crossbows, not the GW.

cheers

#60 Demrog

Demrog

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:46 PM

I just mooted this idea to my gaming group and they were resoundingly negative about the whole idea.

For something along the lines of the above they are expecting 18+pts per model and saying i should stick with scouts as they are and that they are the way they are as a design decision therefore it works...

So far the replies have come from players that play HE/DE/WE and Tomb Kings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users