72 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Farark

Lord Farark

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:13 AM

Greetings everyone.

I thought I would start a new topic on what we, as a community would like to see in our next book.

He's my long wish list.

New army wide rule (Not slayers):
Disiplined-A unit with this rule gets a free reform once per turn. (I don't know how to balance this though)

Remove Resolute: Yes it is a fluffy rule but it would help more aggressive dwarf armies.

Remove all 0-1's

Daemonslayers and Dragon slayers: can take one talismatic tattoo in addition to runes. If a Daemonslayer is your general then Trollslayers become core and Doomseekers become special.
-Warding tattoo: 5+ ward save, 25pts
-Resistance tattoo: MR(1), 15pts
-Scarred tattoo: Causes Fear, 20pts
-Battle Lust tattoo: Can re-roll failed rolls to hit, 25pts

New options for Thanes and Lords: Clan Traits.
Each Thane and Lord can take one trait in addition to their runic allowance. You can have multiple characters with the same trait.

1. Dwarven Ranger: Character gains the scout and forester rule. Also 1 Ranger unit in your army can skirmish for +1 pt per model if this traits given to your general. 10/15pts (Thane/Lord)

2. Ironbreaker: Gains the Defense formation rule but must be equiped with a hand weapon (can still take runes on it though) and shield. 5pts

3. Hammerer: (Thane only) Gains the bodyguard rule but must be equiped with a great weapon (Can still take runes on it though). In addition if he joins a hammer unit, they are both immune to panic. 20pts

4. Miner: Gains the Tunneling rule but can only join miner units. If he is your general then miners count towards core. 10/15pts

5. Longbeard: Gains +1 Ws and The Immune to Panic and Old Grumbler rule. 15/20pts

Hero: Dwarf Priests (Idea stolen from Ragnorak from the brewery, same with rune golem. I like both ideas and would like to see them implanted somehow)
M WS BS S T W I A LD
3 4 3 4 4 2 2 2 9

Equipment: hand weapon and heavy armour

Options:

 May be armed with a great weapon (+4pts)
 May carry a Shield (+2pts)
 May choose runic items from the Weapons, Armour and Talisman lists with a maximum total value of 75pts

Special Rules

Priest Lore: Once per Dwarf Magic Phase, a Dwarf Priest is allowed to use one Prayer chosen from the the Khazad prayers list. Prayers are cast exactly like Bound spells from magic items, with a power level of 5. They may be cast on the priest himself or any one character or unit within 18" of the priest. Note that a Priest is never considered to be a wizard. Before the battle the priest must nominate which prayer he will use (Valaya, Grimnir or Grungni). In addition all priests know the prayer of the ancestors.

Khazad Prayers

Will of Valaya

The model or unit gains Magic Resistance (1). This lasts until it is dispelled or until the priest attempts to cast another prayer.

Will of Grimnir

The model or unit is immune to Fear and Terror. This lasts until it is dispelled or until the priest attempts to cast another prayer.

Vengeance of the Ancestors

This is a Magic Missile with a range of 18�. When hits cause d6 str 5 hits that are flaming.

Will of Grungni

The model or unit may shoot again as if were the magic phase. This may not be cast on warmachines and must be done against the same target, if target is unavailable, another target may be chosen

Dwarf Miners: In core but don't count towards min. Change underground advance rule to work in the same way as "It came from bellow".

Thunderers and Quarrelers: Dwarf special rule: Can move and fire. If thunderers do then they lose the extra -1 to hit from superior design (just to help balance them with quarrelers).

Rangers: Can move through difficult terrain without penalty.

Hammerers: Lose shield option and gain gromril armour.

Ironbreakers: Special Rule: Defense formation. Get +1 to their armour saves in the first round of combat.

Slayers: Gain the skirmish rule. One unit can take a warding tatoo (6+ ward save) for +15pts for the unit.

Rare: DoomseekersSame rules as in the SOC slayer list. (I love these guys, they have to make a return)

Flame Cannon 125pts.

Rare: Rune Golem A stone crafted, rune powered automation shapped in the fashion of a giant dwarf. (Great for a centre piece)
M5,Ws4,Bs0,S6,T6,W5,I1,A5,Ld10

SR: Stone skin: 3+ armour save
:Rune powered: MR (2)
:Large Target
:Terror
:Unbreakable

Special Characters to return: Gotrek and Felix (Lord choice), Ungrim (Lord), Snorri Whitebeard (Lord),King Alrik (Lord), Burlok (Hero), Malakai (Hero)
That gives us 5 lords and 3 heroes.Well they're's my wishlist. Somethings I would prefer more than others (i.e foresters, more manouvorability) but would still like to see some interesting ideas come in to play.

Cheers.

#2 Drial

Drial

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:43 AM

a big hell! yes to all the above, Us Dawi are lacking in the special character department. i would also like to see a dwarf melee unit with some real killing power, maybe give the hammerers 2 attacks or let let our warriors be able to use spears so we cant fight in 2 ranks... just an idea

anyway i would love to see some better dwarf stats from GW

#3 Thoin Ironfist

Thoin Ironfist

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:45 AM

Remove Resolute: Yes it is a fluffy rule but it would help more aggressive dwarf armies.

I actually like the Resolute rule. I think it represents the Dwarves' discipline.

Also, the ideas you have for Slayer character upgrades and Thane Clan Traits are quite interesting. I've been waiting for a long time to see the Dwarf slayers hopefully get buffed up in our next army book.

#4 Ebrick

Ebrick

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:50 AM

i agree with 98% of what you've said. the exception is LD 10 on the golem (golems being something that i love and think dwarfs should have). if he's unbreakable, he's not moving, makes sense for a golem. but he's not actually leading or inspiring troops to stay, is he?

moving on, i'd love to see rangers become skirmishers and get the option of having a crossbow, in addition to being more than 0-1. i'd also like to see bugman actually have an effect on the board.

#5 nemcc

nemcc

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:58 PM

What I really would like to see is our cannon do D6 wounds. There are so many 6 wound monsters out there that it takes 3 or 4 rounds of shooting to kill them. Besides how can the Empire have better cannons than us Dawi. I really like the idea of customizable traits for lords and thanes. It adds a degree of individuality that our book really lacks right now. In addition, i think that they should let miners come up anywhere on the board (maybe 8 inches from the enemy) not just from the edge. So many times have i brought miners agaisnt an opponent who doesnt bring any war machines only to see them sit on a table quarter watching the battle from afar. Maybe Ironbreakers should be able to piggyback on the miners coming up. It would be cool to see a unit of Ironbreakers emerging in the middle of the table and wreck some stuff. It fits in nice with the fluff as well.

#6 Iron Wolf

Iron Wolf

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:06 PM

Maybe miners should be a 'detachment' type unit that you can attach to Ironbreakers to allow them to use the 'underground advance' special rule. You can have half the number of Ironbreakers in the unit as Miners instead to a max. of 10. Charge on arrival of course.

I don't like the idea of non-dwarven units like the Golem. Perhaps a large mech of some sort controlled by a Dwarf? Special Character maybe?

I also agree that our war machines should not be inferior to Empire. Then again, our cannon is much more reliable.

Better bugman and better rangers.

Maybe the 'prayers' could be one use only runes useable only by runesmiths but with the same effect.

I love the rest of these ideas!

#7 Elkoreb

Elkoreb

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:47 PM

I like the idea of giving a gromril armor to the hammerers, Lord Farark, but i think that the Ironbreakers should gain +1 Sv during all combats not just the first.

Warriors should be able to take runic banners too... and cost less (this is a wish list right?).

Rangers that are not affected by diffcult terrain.

Perhaps the option to take 2 cannons or GT for just 1 special slot, like the bolt throwers, but i think that could be easily abused so it should be an extra ability for a Master Engineer. Also, engineers purchased for a cannon give that cannon the ability to do D6 Wounds.

Runes on the Flame Cannon and Organ gun. :biggrin:

A new warmachine from Malakai Makaisson... i don't know it could be some sort of contraption that instead of just shooting at the enemy should encourage the army to be more aggressive, but i'm afraid it would end looking too much like the empire's tank (curse those manlings engineers for stealing our steam wagons and turning them into weapons... before we did).

The golem Lord Farark proposes also looks nice, but it also reminds me too much of the Chaos Dwarfs colossus so i'm pretty sure the Dwarfs wouldn't like the idea so much.

And i also would like to see Snorri Whitebeard as a character.

#8 Ok Okri

Ok Okri

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:43 PM

I'm actually not keen on a lot of those ideas. Some I find undwarfish, some are overpowered (yes mr doomseeker I'm looking at you).

I've seen some good ideas on other wishlists, but here are a couple I've not seen:

Ironbreakers - either (a) should have no flanks/rear. Keep their saves as they are, for they are enough, but make them harder to break by losing combat res. (Posted Image make them ignore outnumber (no fear auto break). © gain entrenchment

Defense engineering - the ability to place some kind of hidden defensive mechanisms, say spike pits, flaming tar pits, mines (of the exploding variety) pre game. I think there would be a limit on number (maybe 1/2 per ME), and they'd cost points. You'd be able to reveal these at any point during the game, and they's do something like inflict D6 S3 hits on any unit touching or crossing them. They could require the roll of an artillery dice to make sure thay go off. The details would need working on, but I think you should get the idea. I envisage this would help our lack of movement by interfering with the mobility of our opponents.

I also don't agree with the 'bands of slayers'. I think slayers should work as individual models, but not count as whole character choices. Make tham tougher, give them a ward, allow them talisman runes, whatever, but make more of the 'loner with a deathwish'.

Edited by Ok Okri, 13 January 2010 - 10:49 PM.

#9 Thoin Ironfist

Thoin Ironfist

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:59 AM

I have a strong conviction that your last point about wanting the special characters to return will be satisfied. From the "new book" armies I have played, the new books include several characters. Mainly I'm talking about Dark Elves and Warriors of Chaos, but if the Dwarf book follows suit, we will have several special characters to choose from.

By the way, does anyone know when our new book is supposed to be released?

#10 Ebrick

Ebrick

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 03:51 AM

after about 6 or 7 more space marine armies.

#11 Iron Wolf

Iron Wolf

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:40 PM

I believe we are in line after:

-Beasts of Chaos
-Tomb Kings
-Brettonians
and
-Wood Elves

But I may be mistaken, as I don't recall which of the old codex is actually older. Any one know officially?

#12 Thoin Ironfist

Thoin Ironfist

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:30 PM

after about 6 or 7 more space marine armies.

-Beasts of Chaos
-Tomb Kings
-Brettonians
and
-Wood Elves

But I may be mistaken, as I don't recall which of the old codex is actually older. Any one know officially?

That is very disappointing

#13 Ebrick

Ebrick

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:37 PM

to be fair, from what i hear tomb kings need to be redone like wow, and britonians are kind of a one trick army of ponies, so that's fine.
i also play wood elves and other than adding a couple of characters i think they're just fine.

#14 Ranulf Doomhammer

Ranulf Doomhammer

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:01 PM

-Beasts of Chaos
-Tomb Kings
-Brettonians
and
-Wood Elves

You forgot Ogres, and (possibly) some new army as it was a long time since they added one now. I think the oldest one of these books is Tomb Kings, but you shouldn't really count on GW to necessarily rework the books in the same order as the last time they worked with them. Realistically we'll however probably have to wait a year or two for the new Dwarf book.

As I have stressed elsewhere, I would however like to see quite some old stuff brought back. Some ideas include Master Runes of Death and Daemonslaying (but hopefully with a better name for the latter), Runes of Passage and Cutting, Flame Thrower teams (working like Warpfire Throwers) and Doomseekers (working like non-random Fanatics). And also of course some of the obvious tweaks needed for tactical versatility such as making Rangers able to move through difficult terrain, making Miners able to chage on arrival, perhaps making Longbeards immune to all psychology (except hating Greenskins), making the Dwarf Handgun move-and-fire again, giving Slayers a ward save (4+ for Daemonslayers, 5+ for Dragonslayers, 6+ for Giant- and Trollslayers) and perhaps a "parry" save meaning they are -1 to hit in CC, etc. There's no need to add many special rules; what is needed is some tweaking of the old ones. Some less than realistic, but quite interesting, ideas would however be some kind of Steam Tank, Gyrocopter squadrons and the ability to inscribe runes on missile weapons (at least on crossbows).

However, it is important that the changes be kept Dwarflike and actually related to the fluff. I don't see e.g. Hammerer or Ironbreaker Thanes happening since Thanes aren't Ironbreakers or Hammerers: Thanes are clan leaders, Hammerers guard kings and Ironbreakers guard tunnels. Same thing with Golems or cavalry: it is incoherent with the Dwarf race as conceived in the Warhammer world as they don't rely on other beings to do things for them. And preferably no beer cart as it's just silly, and Dwarfs are too grim to be silly.

But with this said, one could also (as in the 6th edition book) try to stress different aspects of Dwarf society into differently themed list by making various character choices making different contingents of the army stand out, perhaps by making various units work as core or removing various limitations, but perhaps adding other limitations. For example, Runesmiths, Longbeards and non-gunpowder shooting units could be involved in more traditionally minded armies, Engineer's Guild armies would (naturally) focus on inventions, royal lists could involve elite units, etc.

#15 Gen. Lee Losing

Gen. Lee Losing

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 04:27 PM

Here are a few of my thoughts...

LORDS

v Dwarf Lord

Ø Use Same Stats

Ø Same Gear and Runic options

Ø This is the basic Dwarf Lord. Some Dwarf Lords display either a longing for days past or an affinity with technology. Thus a lord may be upgraded per below.

§ Traditional - May take 1 unit of Ironbreakers/Hammerers as a core unit. If the Lord does so, he must join this unit.

§ Progressive - The Lord may not use Shieldbearers or an Oathstone. The Lord may apply Runes to his Handgun instead of his hand weapon. The Lord counts as a Master Engineer for Warmachine Force organization (see the warmachine entries for further information).

v High Priests

Ø Use Runelord Stats

Ø Same Gear options. Runic allotment at 125.

Ø Select one Patron Deity

§ Grungni (Runelords of Grungni)

· Increase Runic Allotment by 50 points. May take an Anvil.

§ Valaya (Woundbinders of Valaya)

· Bound Spell Level 5 - Heal one casualty or one character wound in the same unit as the Woundbinder.

· Woundbinders always occupy the middle of a unit. Ever dwarf will place themselves between theses priestesses and any foe.

§ Grimnir (Deathsingers of Grimnir)

· May join units of Slayers, providing a 5+ ward save vs. any non-melee wound.

· If in a unit other than slayers, The unit may reroll any Break or Psychology tests.

HEROES

v Thane

Ø Use Same Stats

Ø May upgrade one Thane to a Battle Standard Bearer

Ø If a Thane is the army's general, may upgrade to Kings Representative

§ Kings Representative may be upgraded in the same manner as a Lord.

¨ Traditional - The Thane gains Ld 10

¨ Progressive - The Thane counts as a Master Engineer for Warmachine Force organization (see the warmachine entries for further information).

v Priests

Ø Use Runesmith Stats

Ø Same Gear options. Runic allotment at 50.

Ø Select one Patron Deity

§ Grungni (Runesmiths of Grungni)

· Increase Runic Allotment by 25 points

§ Valaya (Caretakers of Valaya)

· Bound Spell Level 4 - Heal one casualty or one character wound in the same unit as the Caretaker

· Caretakers always occupy the middle of a unit. Ever dwarf will place themselves between theses priestesses and any foe

§ Grimnir (Remembrancers of Grimnir)

· May join units of Slayers, providing a 6+ ward save vs. any non-melee wound.

· If in a unit other than slayers, The unit may reroll any Break or Psychology tests.

v Master Engineer

Ø UseThane Stats, -1 WS +1 BS

Ø Artillery Master Rule

Ø May have a Gyrocopter as a mount.

CORE UNITS

v Guild Warriors

Ø Use Same Stats

Ø Begin with Heavy Armor, Shield, Hand weapon

§ Upgrade to have one of the following: Great Weapon, Crossbow, or Handgun

Ø Guild Upgrade

§ A Guild Warrior unit may select one of the below upgrades

§ Each of the below upgrade may only be used once per army

· (note: Rune of Kinship allows another unit to be upgraded in exception to the above rule)

¨ Armorsmith Guild

Ø Ignor 1 point of Armor Adjustment (i.e.- A S5 hit will only be -1 Armor save)

¨ Brewery Guild

Ø Unit becomes Immune to Fear and Terror

¨ Engineer Guild

Ø Unit may Move and Fire with Crossbows or Handguns

¨ Jeweler Guild

Ø Once per game, the unit may Bribe a unit at the start of the combat phase to prevent any blows from being struck and cause an automatic tie result, regardless of any combat modifiers (rank, banners, etc.) for that round

¨ Miner Guild

Ø Underground Advancement - Place 5' template on table. Roll to scatter. Unit is placed on the table and may move, march or charge as normal

¨ Ranger Guild

Ø Unit gains the Scout and Forrester rules

¨ Weaponsmith Guild

Ø Melee attacks from the unit gain the Armor Piercing rule.

v Longbeard Council (0-1)

Ø Use Same Stats

Ø Begin with Heavy Armor, Shield, Hand weapon and Great Weapon

Ø Immune to Panic, Units in 6" reroll failed Panic Tests

Ø Impressive Beards = +1 Combat Resolution

SPECIAL UNITS

v Ironbreakers

Ø Use Same Stats

Ø Stubborn

Ø Shield Bash

§ At start of every round, may chose to shield bash. They retain their shield modifier to Armor Saves, but may not claim the bonus for having a hand weapon and shield. Instead they claim the bonus for two hand weapons. Note that only models that can claim the Hand weapon shield bonus to Armor saves may make this option, not those fighting on the flank, etc.

Ø Upgrade unit to Hammerers for free but replacing shield with Great Weapon

§ Hammerers gain the Bodyguard rule

v Traditional Warmachines

§ Bolt Throwers, Cannon, or Grudge Thrower

§ May add an Engineer

§ The Holds Reserves

¨ For each Master Engineer (or progressive Lord/Thane) one Warmachine or Guild machine may be taken as one step more common. This means a warmachine may be taken as a core, though it will not count toward the minimum core units required.

RARE UNITS

v Slayers

§ Modify Stats
WS 5, S4, I 3

§ Unbreakable and Skirmish

§ Unit size is 5-10 Troll Slayers

§ Upgrade any number to Giant Slayers (+1 A)

§ May add one Dragon Slayer (same stats as current Hero)

¨ 25 point Runic Allowance

§ May add one Daemon Slayer (same stats as current Lord)

¨ 50 point Runic Allowance

§ All Slayers have Slayer and Slayer Axes rules

v Engineer Guildmachines

§ Flame Cannon, Gyrocopter, or Organ Gun

§ The Holds Reserves

¨ For each Master Engineer (or progressive Lord/Thane) one Warmachine or Guild machine may be taken as one step more common. This means a guildmachine may be taken as a special.

v Landship

§ Chariot with T7

§ Does not destroy from S7 hits

¨ Never suffers more than one wound from any one attack.

¨ (i.e. cannonballs, or magic items that deal 1d6 or 1d3 wounds only deal one)

§ Powerful Steam gun

¨ As Gyrocopter, but S4 Armor Piercing.

¨ May replace Steam Gun with an organ gun or cannon.

#16 Ebrick

Ebrick

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:02 PM

-Beasts of Chaos
-Tomb Kings
-Brettonians
and
-Wood Elves

You forgot Ogres, and (possibly) some new army as it was a long time since they added one now. I think the oldest one of these books is Tomb Kings, but you shouldn't really count on GW to necessarily rework the books in the same order as the last time they worked with them. Realistically we'll however probably have to wait a year or two for the new Dwarf book.

As I have stressed elsewhere, I would however like to see quite some old stuff brought back. Some ideas include Master Runes of Death and Daemonslaying (but hopefully with a better name for the latter), Runes of Passage and Cutting, Flame Thrower teams (working like Warpfire Throwers) and Doomseekers (working like non-random Fanatics). And also of course some of the obvious tweaks needed for tactical versatility such as making Rangers able to move through difficult terrain, making Miners able to chage on arrival, perhaps making Longbeards immune to all psychology (except hating Greenskins), making the Dwarf Handgun move-and-fire again, giving Slayers a ward save (4+ for Daemonslayers, 5+ for Dragonslayers, 6+ for Giant- and Trollslayers) and perhaps a "parry" save meaning they are -1 to hit in CC, etc. There's no need to add many special rules; what is needed is some tweaking of the old ones. Some less than realistic, but quite interesting, ideas would however be some kind of Steam Tank, Gyrocopter squadrons and the ability to inscribe runes on missile weapons (at least on crossbows).

However, it is important that the changes be kept Dwarflike and actually related to the fluff. I don't see e.g. Hammerer or Ironbreaker Thanes happening since Thanes aren't Ironbreakers or Hammerers: Thanes are clan leaders, Hammerers guard kings and Ironbreakers guard tunnels. Same thing with Golems or cavalry: it is incoherent with the Dwarf race as conceived in the Warhammer world as they don't rely on other beings to do things for them. And preferably no beer cart as it's just silly, and Dwarfs are too grim to be silly.

But with this said, one could also (as in the 6th edition book) try to stress different aspects of Dwarf society into differently themed list by making various character choices making different contingents of the army stand out, perhaps by making various units work as core or removing various limitations, but perhaps adding other limitations. For example, Runesmiths, Longbeards and non-gunpowder shooting units could be involved in more traditionally minded armies, Engineer's Guild armies would (naturally) focus on inventions, royal lists could involve elite units, etc.

ah, here i have to disagree.
1) in honourkeeper, the captain of the ironbreakers was a thane, and called by his title several times.
2) i really dont like gyrocopters. they're a totally random technological advancement and i personally think they're stupid as hell. that's an opinion, but everyone has to admit they're on the very leading edge of technology. to have a squadron of them would be very silly, and far to 40k like.
3) while some players prefer to play their dwarfs with a grim theme and fluff, others, like myself, prefer to play silly drunk armies. i would be happy if (at least) bugman could bring a beer cart along as his sort of personal "anvil", though obviously less powered.

#17 theorox

theorox

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:27 PM

I would like some cheaper troops, better ironbreakers and new hammerer/ironbreaker/slayer plastic sets. (on par with the older metals, ofc!)

Gromril for hammerers

Some kind of shieldwall special ability for Ironbreakers

Miner piggyback for Ironbreakers, they can follow a miner "detachment" of 10-15 models onto the field.
(Miner underground advance rule changed to the following: Mark a spot on the battlefield no less than 8" away from the closest enemy. roll dice to see if miners appear as normal. then roll artillery and scatter die, if misfire then the miners fail to appear that turn. Scatter the marker the distance determined by the artillery dice. if that takes the miner unit in contact with an enemy, it is counted as a charge. the Ironbreakers appear in the same spot as the miners the turn after the miners arrived. The miners and Ironbreakers may move/ charge/ march on the turn they arrive. The miners does not have to be deployed with the Ironbreakers ofc, they can also be fielded as a single regiment like they are now.

Forester rule return to rangers.
Rangers being a bit cheaper.(or at least not more expensive)
Rangers no longer being 0-1, but doesnt take up the minimum number of core units.

Slayers being different, with single models rather than troops. you can get giant/troll slayers as special and dragon/deamon slayers as rare. maybe a troop type called "slayers" which is special and has the stats of trollslayers that we have now.
DOOMSEEKERS!!! Like Night Goblin fanatics, but a bit less random. they can pop out from slayer units.

And some other stuff, ofc like some army special rule about shieldwall, +1 armour save int he first round of combat to all dwarfs armed with shields (in unit only ofc) and if the unit did not move the turn before they count as being defending an obstacle. no charge bonuses and all impact hits are halved.

How does that sound? :D

#18 Ranulf Doomhammer

Ranulf Doomhammer

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 12:00 AM

1) in honourkeeper, the captain of the ironbreakers was a thane, and called by his title several times.
2) i really dont like gyrocopters. they're a totally random technological advancement and i personally think they're stupid as hell. that's an opinion, but everyone has to admit they're on the very leading edge of technology. to have a squadron of them would be very silly, and far to 40k like.
3) while some players prefer to play their dwarfs with a grim theme and fluff, others, like myself, prefer to play silly drunk armies. i would be happy if (at least) bugman could bring a beer cart along as his sort of personal "anvil", though obviously less powered.

1) I actually haven't read it. Perhaps I'm a bit out of date on Dwarf fluff as I haven't read any new pieces since Giantslayer. But nevertheless, I strongly doubt that the majority of Thanes work in the military units, so I still think that theming Thanes towards belonging to units like that really doesn't work. Having them belong to different parts of Dwarf society (and the Thane of a mining clan could perhaps have access to more Ironbreakers) seems more intuitive IMO.

2) As I said, it is a wild idea. I'm far from claiming that it will be done. But if I recall correctly it still has some fluff support, and, more importantly, it would make Gyros a lot stronger. However, I like the steam punky feel of (some parts of) the Warhammer world, so Gyros (and other machines) aren't problematic to me.

3) Perhaps we conceive of the Dwarfs in different ways. Although you are right in that I should have mentioned a brewer-themed list too: perhaps in such lists a beer cart could have some use. Just as long as the lists I would like to write are far from it.

#19 Iron Wolf

Iron Wolf

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 02:01 AM

I think a good idea would be to be able to take certain characters or special/rare choices that would give your Dwarf army a particular theme. They would greatly enhance certain areas of your army while limiting other areas. Some of these could be:

-A military theme. Lords, hammerer bonuses, longbeards core, and offensive/maneuvering tactics/runes. The inability to take rare war machines, gyrocopters, or master engineers.
-A slayer theme. No non-slayer characters allowed. Changes slayers to core.
-A magic resistance theme. Runelords/smiths and magic resistance are prevalent. No leadership 10 available. No thunderers or organ guns.
-An engineering theme. Engineers and ranged units bonus. Can have 1 scout (either thunderer or quarreller) per 1k pts for 1 pt/model. Can entrench more machines. Must have equal number of non core non war machine units, and non core war machines units (unless you have more war machines). No rune lord or anvil option here.
-A mining theme. Miners are choices. Up to 1 unit per 1k points can follow miners into the battlefield. Maneuvering tactics bonus. Only 1 war machine per 1k points allowed.
-A brewery theme. Bugman as general. Units get beer bonuses on a D6 (something like, roll a 1=stupid, roll a 2=frenzy etc.). This lasts the game. Other than Bugman, only heroes allowed. Also, no gunpowder units allowed.

Of course, the units you CAN take get big bonuses to make up for a lack of unit options.
Your army 'theme' would more than likely depend on the general choice you make.

#20 Thoin Ironfist

Thoin Ironfist

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 04:22 AM

In my opinion Gyros are not as far fetched as magical/mechanical Chaos Juggernaut mounts or great fortress islands that float thanks to magic called Black Arks. Sure, I agree that it would be more logical if they were produced in small numbers, but their existence in the Warhammer universe is not unbelievable, in my opinion anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users