10 replies to this topic

#1 Forkbeard

Forkbeard

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:50 PM

I present to you all the list that I have been working on its currently at 1970 points. I would like some suggestion on how to spend the remaining 30 points.

Also where best to place the lord?

Cheers.

Lord: (145), Sheildbearers (25)
R Stone (5)
R Cleaving (20)
MR Challenge (25) 220

Thane:(65), BSB (25) 160
MR Gromril (25)
MR Spite (45)

Runesmith:(70)
R Stone (5)
R Spell breaking (25) 100

Dragon Slayer: 50

TOTAL 530

Core

23 Warriors HW + SH + FC (25) 232 Lord here

18 Longbeards HW + SH + FC (25), R Courage (30)271Runesmith and BSB here

10 Quarrellers 110

TOTAL 613

SPECIAL

20 Miners GW + FC (25) 245

19 Slayers MUS (6) + STAND (12) x1 G Slayer (15)242

1 Cannon + R Forging (35) 125

1 Cannon + R Burn (5) 95

Total 707

RARE

1 Organ Gun 120

Grand Total 1970

#2 KrysDagger

KrysDagger

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:32 PM

Here are a couple of thoughts for you, and I imagine a lot of this will be echoed by others on the forum.

1) Both cannons need rune of forging.
2) Units of Slayers don't need to be that large... they are unbreakable and a smaller unit will do as well
3) 20 miners is a lot of miners. When I use them I field them in units of 8 to 10, mostly to threaten war machines and hold or contest table corners. I would probably shrink that down , certainly no more than 15 and that is still a really big unit.
4) Others will probably say this, but the best place for a lord is in a unit of hammerers. A lord in a unit of hammerers gives bonuses that are well worth it. If you reduce the number of slayers and miners you could get a unit of hammerers.
5) I would put the rune that allows a reroll of failed armour saves on your lord.
6) I am not a big fan of the rune of spite on the BSB ... better that he have the reroll failed armour saves too.

What I love is the lone slayer ... I run one 75% of the time and he is always fun to play with.
Longbears are always good
Good size of warriors ...
I prefer bolt thowers to cannons (2 for one slot is great), but that is because my misfire die hates me. Cannons are a great choice, I should start taking them too.

I look forward to seeing what you do to the list and everyone elses posts.

Krys
  • xpo50 likes this

#3 EC15

EC15

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:39 PM

The Lord's weapon setup could be fixed. Since you aren't using a shield there is no reason not to take a plain greatweapon for 6 points instead of the rune of cleaving. You will save 14 points to be spent elsewhere and get 1 more strength on your attacks.
  • xpo50 likes this

#4 xpo50

xpo50

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:54 PM

I think your runesmith should take a MR of Balance against magic heavy armies. I always find that the psychological effects are great, they get so mad when you steal a dice.

Also, with your lord you should take a great weapon, and if you want to add runes, put on MR of Kragg the Grim.
  • xpo50 likes this

#5 David L

David L

White Dwarf

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:15 PM

From the initial list, the way to spend 30 points is a second spellbreaker on the Runesmith and Furnace on the Lord. I would never take a runesmith without 2 spellbreakers.

Looking more widely, I strongly agree with KrysDagger's points 1 through 4. Strongly. Especially on that Miner block, which will have a hell of a time doing anything.

#6 Feldeghast

Feldeghast

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:16 PM

This list shouts out to me "Where are the hammerers?" With your special slots hotly contested tough decisions will have to be made. Personally I'd drop the whole unit of miners for 15 Hammerers with stoicism and the lord has his own personal bodyguard - no better place for him to be. Even shave off a few slayers and bring the hammerers up to 20.

Feldeghast

#7 Forkbeard

Forkbeard

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:49 PM

All good points so far and worthy of further examination. I forgot about the fluff that gives me some self-imposed restrictions. The full fluff of Silver Crag can be found here.Silver Crag fluff

SPECIAL RULES

King Guttri fondly remembers his mining background and for that reason the throng must include a unit of miners when ever the throng marches to war.

+1 Unit of Miners must be taken in any throng of Silver Crag.

King Guttri is wise and efficient in trade and life. In his opinion gold spent on lavish runic items could be better spent on infrastructure to turn greater profit from the mine and ensure his holds prosperity.

King Guttri runic items are limited to 50 points.

#8 David L

David L

White Dwarf

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 04:57 AM

Okay, but that costs you 55 pts. Maybe 88 or 2x55 or 110 pts. Not 245!!!
If necessary, run a unit of "veteran miners" who follow the same rules as Hammerers. They know there is more gold down there, so they aren't giving up this mine no matter what!

King Guttri is wise and efficient in trade and life. In his opinion gold spent on lavish runic items could be better spent on infrastructure to turn greater profit from the mine and ensure his holds prosperity.
King Guttri runic items are limited to 50 points.

But he lets his BSB spend more? I think he needs to enforce his will a bit better ....

If you limit him on runic points, then the MRoChallenge goes elsewhere. Resistance plus Stone is the minimum I would give a Dwarf Lord, and I like to add Furnace also. Nothing very useful is possible with the remaining 15, so just keep him super cheap.

#9 Forkbeard

Forkbeard

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:43 AM

Okay, but that costs you 55 pts. Maybe 88 or 2x55 or 110 pts. Not 245!!!
If necessary, run a unit of "veteran miners" who follow the same rules as Hammerers. They know there is more gold down there, so they aren't giving up this mine no matter what!

Say that is not a bad idea "veteran miners" I like that a lot! Cheers DavidL.

#10 Bucket Kjell

Bucket Kjell

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:02 PM

I red the fluff of your army.

You should absolutely make a unit of veteran miners to run with hammerer rules.
Your lord is a miner, so if you plan to make convertions you should make your lord on a shield with a big pick, and carried by a couple of miners as well.

There was another thread earlier also about a miners hold, with the same problem. How to make an army with a lot of miners, when miners have such limited use.

At the same time the hammerer models look bad, but hammerers are needed to make a strong army list. Make veteran miners to run as hammerers solve both problems in a good way.

#11 xpo50

xpo50

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:55 AM

the miners could be his buddies from when he was down in the mines, and they are now sworn to protect him from harm. Also you could say that when he is taken witha unit of miners he can spend 50 points more on runic items representing trinkets, and valuables found from the precious metals in the mines. Maybe?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users