24 replies to this topic

#1 David L

David L

White Dwarf

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 06:49 AM

Alamo GT 2008. San Antonio TX. 80? players.

Dwarf Army List:
Runelord, Anvil of Doom, great weapon, shield
Spellbreaker, Preservation, Stone, Resistance

Thain, BSB
MRoGromril, Preservation, MRoChallenge, Furnace, Fire

Thain (general), shield
MRoSwiftness, Fury, Cleaving, Stone

20 warriors, shields, banner, musician

23 Longbeards, shields, full command
Battle, Stoicism

10 crossbows, shields

20 Hammerers, shields, full command
Stoicism

10 Miners, champion, steam drill

bolt thrower, engineer
Penetrating

bolt thrower, engineer
Burning

Stone Thrower, engineer
Accuracy, Penetrating, Burning

Organ Gun

2247 total

Whatever the other circumstances, the bottom of the pictures is usually SOUTH

Friday Night - Jordan Braun, Skaven
Jordan brought an incredible looking Skaven army that I gave my Players Choice vote. I thought perhaps some other armies were better modelled or better painted, but my standard is "I want to take it home" and that isn't true of any Daemon armies. Turns out the paint judges (which included at least two high experts on painting) thought Jordan's army was extremely well done and gave it Best Painted.

If you don't recognize the name, Jordan Braun won the GW Circuit last year and the 'Ardboyz this year. In other words, he's really good and capable of power gaming with the best of them. Yet every Indy GT I've seen him at this year he has been running an older army book, with no sign of Daemons and VC. I don't know the exact reasons, but I certainly appreciate it.

Grey Seer (skitterleap, warp lightning, vermintide, death frenzy)
engineer
BSB
assassin
3 clanrat blocks with rattlings
3 slaves
stormvermin
3x2 globadiers
7 tunnellers
6 Jezzails
DoW Giant
warp lightning cannon

I put my crossbows on a hill first, then leave them to their fate. My army goes behind a pond to protect my guns. Hammerers on the open flank, bolt thrower, Longbeards, Organ Gun, Stone Thrower, Warriors, bolt thrower on table edge. Both characters join the all-important Stone Thrower.

His Jezzails go in woods, Giant behind them. Seer and BSB in Stormvermin, other troops spread out as usual. Tunnel markers goes in the pond.

Dwarf deployment

Skaven start moving

Turn 1
He wins the first turn and moves up. His engineer is rude to my Organ Gun and kills two of the crew. His Grey Seer is almost even more rude, but the IF warp lightning is 25 inches away. Jordan skitterleaps his assassin to the table edge past my bolt thrower and his throwing stars do 2 wounds to the machine.
Jordan noticed I made a huge mistake in deployment. His cannon has a shot through both my characters, with no "look out sir". But instead the cannon blows up. I assure Jordan getting those out of the way is why we play on Friday night. smile.gif

My BSB moves to the warriors, who advance a couple inches. You'll see why in a minute.
Stone thrower misses Jezzails, Anvil fails to wound them, Organ Gun and bolt throwers pound on the clanrat unit with the engineer. But the Skaven pass panic. Crossbows kill a rattling.

end of Dwarf turn 1

Turn 2
Having walked forward of my own bolt thrower, the Skaven assassin can now see my warriors. And be the target of MRoChallenge. smile.gif I didn't like using the rune on that assassin, but I felt the bolt thrower was needed to kill the giant.
Tunnellers pop up and kill the Organ Gun. They don't overrun far enough to reach the anvil though.
Army advances, giant moving out in front on the table edge.
Magic kills some Hammerers, Jezzails wound the stone thrower.
Assassin kills 2 warriors and breaks off the table.

end of Skaven turn 2

My general charges his tunnellers.
BSB leaves the warriors to head to the Longbeards.
Crossbows kill another rattling. Artillery fails to kill the Giant, so the Anvil hits it to prevent the charge.

sorry, no more pictures

Crossbows' Tale
After killing a rattling gun on each of the first turn, my crossbows are charged by a healthy unit of slaves. I have a rank, he has 3 ranks and numbers, so he is up by static 3. I make saves, kill a couple slaves and hold. And repeat the next turn. And the next one. And so on.

By the end of the game, only one crossbow has been killed in close combat. My crossbows have killed half the slave unit (at least 12) and passed EIGHT consecutive break tests. With no BSB.

Main fight
Slowing the Giant with the Anvil was the right move. I pass the terror tests, then the artillery drops it turn 3. Stone Thrower smashes another clanrat block and hurts the stormvermin a bit while my troops advance. His wizards run to the last healthy clanrat unit before the stormvermin engage. Miners show up behind his army and attract some shooting and magic attention. They don't accomplish anything else, but that isn't useless.

My general takes 3 rounds of combat to kill the tunnel team and gets wounded along the way. He then dies to one of those pairs of globadiers.
Slaves and frenzied slaves engage my warriors. I eventually fail the break test and get run down. Those slaves take out the bolt thrower and stone thrower.

Jordan discovers, to his displeasure, that my Longbeards with BSB carry more static combat resolution than his Stormvermin. Plus I fight better. The skaven trip and are run down by the Longbeards.
My Hammerers get magiced to half, then flanked by injured clanrats. I failed to use great weapons when I should have, so I'm not able to kill enough to beat them off. (he has flank and rank, I have numbers).

As we hit turn 6, his wizards are in an injured clanrat unit that cannot move far enough to avoid an anvil-driven Longbeard charge and certain doom. So the wizards abandon the unit and it angles so pursuit will not hit the characters. Instead my Longbeards are anvil'd into the rear of the unit fighting the Hammerers. The rats obviously break, which panics the other clanrat unit. Testing on just a 7, they fail and now flee through both characters. Who also both fail panic. Might have been a draw if all those pass panic, but losing all that meant a clear Dwarf victory.

Game 1 - Jody Tucker, Daemons
Look at this army.

No, that isn't paint. There are actually lights in every model, powered by watch batteries. The Horrors are entirely light things, the Plaguebearers have lights for heads, the Flamers are throwing lit up fireballs, the Flesh Hounds are breathing fire. It's crazy!! It's also awesome and visible from across the room. Jody didn't have any trouble winning Player's Choice.

The list:
Khorne Herald on jugger, Firestorm, 0+ armour
Nurgle Herald on Palaquin, BSB, Hellfire Banner, Noxcious Vapours, Slime Trail
Tzeentch Herald on Disk, shooting attack, scroll
Tzeentch Herald on foot, shooting attack, scroll

19 Horrors
16 Plaguebearers
10 Horrors
10 Horrors
2x5 Flesh Hounds
2x3 Flamers
6 Furies

He has 10 power dice plus the bound spell from h*ll, but its all lore of Tzeentch and with no big caster. His Heralds get one Firestorm, but his magic phase is really just the number 1 spell. So its a legit magic phase, but not an army-destroying magic phase.

I quickly thank Jody for bringing a friendly Daemon list. It isn't going to run me over or blast me off the table. Just to repeat, thank you Jody for bringing a Daemon list that doesn't make me cower in the corner and twitch uncontrollably. But it's still Daemons, and thus extremely hard to kill and even harder to defeat.

Deployment
My table side is WEST
From north to South, he puts Flesh Hounds with general, Flamers and Furies, both little Horrors, Plaguebearers, big Horrors with character, Flesh Hounds, Disk.

I put crossbows on a hill to the north first. They will probably get killed, but anything killing them should be out of position for getting more of my stuff. Flaming bolt squeezes in behind that hill, with limited LOS to the center (it cannot be seen from due east) and safe from an overrun of crossbows. Going south, Hammerers, Organ Gun, Longbeards with BSB, Stone Thrower, warriors with general. Anvil goes behind the building, S7 bolt goes way out on the south table edge.

the building was designated very difficult terrain that blocks LOS

Turn 1
Scaring me considerably, he wins the first turn and advances. He rolls IF for Tzeentchs Firestorm on my warriors, but produces just 3 hits, 2 wounds and then I roll double 6s for armour saves. Apparently the Herald only thought he has cast the spell. Flickering Fire is out of range.

Deploying backed worked for one magic phase, but now I need something else. Only thing I've got is convincing him to shoot warriors, so forward they go. The general intelligently joins the Longbeards instead.

Stone Thrower guesses accurately onto the Plaguebearers, but smartly scatters onto the Horrors and kills 4. Both bolt throwers miss. The bolt throwers will take 9 shots this game, most at short range, and miss every one.
Crossbows do incredibly, inflicting 3 unsaved wounds on north Flesh Hounds. Since 1 more Horror will remove a magic level, the Organ Gun shoots them and barely gets that one.

I really want to resist Ancient Power against a relatively friendly list, but given the situation, I cannot. The Anvil delivers and hits 3 units. I hit the southern Flesh Hounds, the Furies, and a Flamer unit (scenario points if my runelord kills a specific Flamer). The Furies cease to exist, the flesh hounds take TWELVE hits and lose 2 models, the flamers are not bothered. That really shows how tough Flesh Hounds are. 12 hits sounds like it should pound a unit that isn't heavy cavalry. But killing 2 is average so the 5 wounds I got were a doubly great roll.

end of turn 1

Turn 2
Northern hounds charge my crossbows, who flee. Unhappily it's their turn to roll boxcars and they leave the table. At least the Flesh Hounds didn't get anywhere important.
The Disk stands in place to better shoot my bolt thrower while the rest of his army advances. Somewhat to my surprise, the southern flesh hounds head south towards the bolt thrower. I hadn't realized just how weak Tzeentch Heralds are in close combat. I knew the stats, but it hadn't registered until this point that his odds of killing my bolt thrower crew in close combat are pretty pitiful with just 3 strength 3 attacks total.

My warriors are doing their job, as they attract some of his magic. But it doesn't get off enough to really hurt. Hammerers lose a couple models.

end Daemon turn 2

Miners arrive. I consider putting them to the north and trying to slow down the Flesh Hounds and Herald. But I've now realized how weak a Tzeentch Herald is, and that one is sitting near the south table edge. Also if I kill him and get a good overrun, I could flank the Flesh Hounds. So the Miners show up there and the Anvil sends them into combat.
My warriors move a bit further forward.

Stone thrower shoots at the Plaguebearers and squishes the rear rank. The Organ Gun decides the bolt throwers than never hit are really too good, so it will show the proper path to bad performance .... it blows up. In other words, all I've really got left is the Anvil and Stone Thrower.

Miners earn their spot in the list and kill the Tzeentch Herald, earning 185 pts. I'm winning! However, my Dwarf general yelled too loud to the army about running too quickly after the crossbows ran off the table. The Miners head his words and overrun 1 inch.

end Dwarf turn 2

Turn 3
Southern Flesh Hounds charge bolt thrower.
Wanting to make me divide my targets, especially the anvil, the Khorne general separates from his Flesh Hounds. He stands on the hill looking down at my bolt thrower. They angle more south to flank my main troops. His main line advances cautiously, although the big Horrors don't move.
The front small Horror unit miscasts and loses 4 models. Other magic and shooting knocks my warriors down to 15 and my Hammerers to an unpleasantly small 12.

Hounds only kill 2 bolt thrower crew. The survivors, clearly better fighters than shooters, wound a Hound, which takes out a model. Autobreak and Hounds overrun off the table.

end of Daemon turn 3, south side

end of Daemon turn 3, north side

My shooting has not done enough at this point, but he has too many units for me to engage in close combat now. Not much choice but to sit and hope.
The Miners are too far away to reach his troops without serious anvil assistance, and the anvil has better things to do. They wander into the enemy deployment zone to claim a table quarter. Warriors wheel inward slightly, Hammerers reform to keep Flesh Hounds in their front. Longbeards walk forward a bit and my general shifts to the north side. The Flesh Hounds could charge the Longbeard flank, but my general should drop one before he swings (Hound already wounded) and I'm up static 3.

This may be my last chance to kill that 0+ armour Khorne Herald, so the Stone Thrower had better deliver. 23 inch guess is on his head and the rock turns him into daemon-paste. Yeah!!
Anvil tries to take out some Flamers but the one hit fails to wound.

end Dwarf turn 3, emphasis on flattened Khorne Herald

Turn 4
His Flesh Hounds charge my Hammerers. Water slows his infantry advance.

Magic and shooting get another rank of warriors and 4 Longbeards. Longbeards still have +3 for ranks, so the warriors are doing their job.

Hounds only kill one Hammerer and combat resolution gets a Hound.

end Daemon turn 4

With my shooting almost gone, I have to get into combat before he blasts me apart. His nasty flanking units are gone, so that isn't complete suicide anymore either. Forward we go!
Stone Thrower misses. His shooting is kicking my rear, so the Anvil goes Ancient Power. It strikes successfully and again hits three units. Damage is unimpressive this time though, killing one flamer and wounding another, and knocking 3 wounds off the southern Hounds. One southern Hound remains, but half movement means he won't reach my stone thrower before the end.

Two Hammerers fall to Flesh Hounds, but my attacks back and combat resolution wipe out the remaining three. Success!

end Dwarf turn 4

Turn 5
He wants nothing to do with my advance and backs up the infantry slightly. Flamers focus on the bolt thrower, killing the engineer. Other shooting and magic reduce the warriors to 9, Hammerers to 8, and the Longbeards get squared off with no more buffer on their +3 ranks.

end Daemon turn 5

I think he has made a mistake when backing up last turn. The front Horrors are just size 6 from an earlier miscast, so I think my Longbeards can blow through them. Overrun into the Horrors behind will get me out of LOS from the Plaguebearers. The game is close now and I think 250 pts of Horrors will give me a win. So the Longbeards move forward, careful to keep Plaguebearers in my front in case the anvil charge fails. Warriors move up to keep big Horrors from involving themself with my Longbeards. Hammerers move towards Flamers to give me a turn 6 option.

Stone Thrower takes out another couple of Plagubearers, including the champion. The Anvil charge works!

Close combat goes as I expected, with the Horrors wiped out for no loss. But my Longbeards overrun only 3 inches. Not enough. sad.gif

end Dwarf turn 5

End Game
Plaguebearers flank charge my Longbeards. Since I have the bottom of 6, I consider fleeing and he throws the Horrors in my front before I can decide. That can only help me, so I take the charge.

His magic and shooting kill more warriors and Hammerers, but both survive and were below half already anyway.

My Thain hefts his 70 pt runic weapon and finally does something useful with it, slaying 2 Horrors. Eager to try out his flaming weapon, my BSB challenges and his BSB has no choice but to accept. The immune to poison part of Preservation comes into play and I take no damage. But I cannot wound his T5 in return either. The troops swing at each other, but the net affect of the first round of combat is little.
The second round my general gets really good and kills THREE Horrors. Aim improved the other direction as well, as his BSB puts three wounds on mine. But Dwarf runes are good, and MRoGromril saves two of them. I swing back for one hit, but it wounds and he fails the ward save! 5 pt runic weapon earns 163 pts for half a Daemon BSB!!! I kill more Horrors, but even after combat resolution, one survives.

Dwarf losses:
crossbows, bolt thrower, organ gun
half warriors, half hammerers, half BSB

Daemon losses:
little horrors, one flesh hound unit, furies
Herald on Disk, Khorne general
half hounds, half little horrors, half BSB
and the Dwarfs control a table quarter

VICTORY FOR THE DWARFS!
I beat the Daemons!

I made no mistakes and the Anvil did perfectly. 2 Ancient Power for max units hit, 4 regular power. I also passed every leadership test. The Organ Gun and bolt throwers stunk, but the crossbows did great with their one shot and the Stone Thrower absolutely rocked.

Game 2 - Matt Feinbaum, Empire
Popemobile
level 2 wizard mounted with Outriders
warrior priest on foot
BSB with Griffon banner

swordsmen block with halberdiers and archers
spearmen block with halberdiers and archers
5 knights, full command
5 knights, full command
5 pistoliers
5 pistoliers
5 outriders
great cannon
DoW Giant
Bronzino with one galloper gun

Scenario is to gain wounds on a pinata that starts in the middle of the table. Every time you wound it, it moves away from the source of wounds. It is Toughness 6.

My army is deployed on the EAST side. Light shining in the windows means the pictures aren't so good this time. I also didn't take that many pictures, so this report won't say as much.

Table has hills in the middle of both deployment zones. I put my crossbows up there with Hammerers adjacent. I'm trying to figure out where his cannon will go before I drop my artillery. He doesn't oblige, but it becomes clear it will go somewhat north. My Organ Gun hides behind and south of my hill, my Stone Thrower between and behind other infantry. Flaming bolt thrower hides behind a big building to the north, S7 just outside woods to the south. Anvil goes behind the hill.

On his side, he dropped an infantry block and detachments south of his hill early. This limited his deployment space greatly. Combined with Outriders taking up most of his hill, I figured his cannon was going north. It did, along with giant, knights and pistoliers. Other pistoliers and knights went far north, beyond the forest. Popemobile and other block went south of the hill and bronzino took the southern table edge. He spread out across the table, but in clumps.

Dwarf deployment

Turn 1
I win the first turn and gladly take it. With the cannon position known, the Organ Gun moves up while staying behind the hill.
I think his deployment makes for many nice shooting targets. Stone thrower shoots at Giant. There is so much around, any scatter that isn't short will hit something else. My guess is an inch short and it kills one pistolier only. Crossbows roll well and kill the other 4. Popemobile makes ward save against S7. Anvil hits northern pistoliers, killing just 1. So I didn't panic them, but I did cause 3 panic tests from wiping out the center pistoliers. With no pope nearby, the great cannon fails and so do the Outriders. Cannon crew fails to rally and is gone. Outriders should flee through his entire line and end up in Bronzino's face, but after having to point out they go south at all, I accept his semi-random final position in front of his other troops.

The Empire starts running

Outriders rally. He moves up, although they block his infantry. Bronzino shoots at the Organ Gun and does 2 wounds to it.

Turn 2
My miners arrive. Anvil sends them into Bronzino. He doesn't die and holds.
Hammerers move up a bit.
Stone Thrower and bolt thrower kill giant, squashing a knight for free. S7 gets the Popemobile. Crossbows wipe out other pistoliers, paniccing northern knights.

The Miners arrive

Outriders head over to shoot at Miners once Bronzino dies. The gun moves away. His army moves up, drops a few Dwarfs. Miners kill Bronzino.

More smashing
While the right bolt thrower and crossbows acquire scenario points shooting the pinata, the stone thrower, Organ gun and S7 mush his infantry. I beat up the Griffon banner unit somewhat, then drop a rock on the Pope's head. He fails 'look out sir' and dies.
Outriders shoot up the Miners, but they kill the galloper gun.
Crossbows kill a knight. Knights charge and lose one on stand-and-shoot, leaving just 2. They whiff in close combat and fail an armour save. So three 1s for armour saves in a row. The last knight breaks.

The remnants of his army bravely advance on the Dwarfs. The Griffon banner unit is well depleted, but my Hammerers flank it anyway. Longbeards in front and warriors into their detachment, so that unit gets crushed. Which panics the other infantry block unit and he surrenders.

I clearly had very good luck here. The failed panic tests were crazy. But I think I had an advantage from his deployment anyway. Too many concentrated shooting targets, a couple fast units that weren't near my artillery, lots deployed away from his general. Nothing was in position go around the south side and I had Hammerers to stubbornly hold the north while I ran over his infantry. Plus a Griffon banner unit with no buffer rank, since they deployed 6 wide and 4 deep! Finally he didn't expect I could kill his Giant so easily, while I was slightly disappointed it survived turn 1.
Overall a game I expected to win, but I would prefer to win in a more challenging fashion. Instead dice turned it into a slaughter.

VICTORY FOR THE DWARFS!
I hurt the pinata, so I also claim the objective.

Edited by David L, 15 November 2008 - 06:50 AM.

#2 David L

David L

White Dwarf

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 06:49 AM

Game 3 - Jesse Garrett, Vampire Counts
Anyone remember that name from my previous GT report? Same army list that stomped me hopelessly twice at Bayou Battles.

super caster Vampire Lord
+2 dice, all spells, make skeletons, +1 to cast and dispel, Helm of Commandment
Mounted Wight BSB with Drakenhoff
Vampire with book of arkhan
Vampire
10 ghouls as bunker
~20 ghouls
~15 skeletons
~15 skeletons
5 wolves
5 wolves
Vargulf
9 Black Knights with Banner of the Barrows led by Drakenhoff

Pre-Game
Scenario gives one core unit on each side a Keg of Beer that makes the unit Stupid and Stubborn. (So this is a great time to fight VC, since it does nothing good for him!) Except the middle front of that unit must start in the exact middle of the deployment zone. On this table, my side has a FOREST there and his side has a building with a wall beyond it. Dwarfs in difficult terrain are never moving. Skeletons behind a building and a wall aren't going far either. Since I know the rules really well, I also know where most of the loopholes are. So I asked Jesse if I could exploit one of them to get out of the terrain. He readily agreed. So I deployed my Longbeards (with Keg) 25 wide with my general and BSB. They will turn to their right and then expanded frontage, dragging the western-most models 18 inches or so to assume a square block. Hugely exploitive of the poorly written GW rules, but my only real alternative was standing on the table edge and playing the most boring game possible. Anyway, Jesse was okay with it, and it made the game more interesting.

With that plan in mind, my warriors go behind the building ready to move up west of the Longbeards. Hammerers a little bit east. S7 bolt thrower (here the less valuable one) goes on the table edge a bit further east. I end up sticking my crossbows alone on the west side where they will do effectively nothing all game.

But the early crossbow drop did perhaps cause the Vargulf and Fell Bats to deploy behind a hill to the west. Plus a ghoul unit with vampire somewhat over there. Going east, skeletons with their Keg, Black Knights with wolves behind, skeletons with vampire with ghoul bunker behind, wolves behind forest.

The two little Vampires both got Raise Dead. Irelevant since the only spells that will be cast all game are Invocation and VanHel's.

Turn 1
I thankfully win the first turn and commence the Longbeard redeployment. I realize I technically have a quarter move left, which would let them turn to face forward again, but I feel so bad about being this cheesy I don't. My BSB ends up on the south side, away from the enemy.
My general leaves the Longbeards and races forward. I'm hopefully going to use him to march block the enemy second wave.

Most importantly, I immediately realized Jesse made a large mistake with deployment. In both our games at Bayou, he made a point of keeping his Vampire Lord out of LOS from my Stone Thrower. There was always a screening unit in front of the bunker. This time there is a two inch gap between a skeleton unit and the Black Knights and his general is standing (in the bunker) right in between, directly across the table from my Stone Thrower. Jesse then told me he had already failed 4 'look out sir' rolls today, although the characters had survived most of them. Sorry Jesse, but I have no clue how to beat your army without getting lucky, so I'm playing for it.

Guess on head, scatter, re-roll to hit .... FAILED LOOK OUT SIR!!!!
I cannot believe I could win the game on the first action taken. The Stone Thrower wounds him, but only inflicts 2 wounds. His general barely survives and the game continues. Probably a good thing.

I am really tempted to hit for Ancient Power immediately, but I'm feeling my luck was just pushed far enough and do normal. It wounds the Vargulf.

End Dwarf turn 1. Notice the template on his general's head!

His army advances. The Vampire Lord makes sure to move to the other side of his bunker. Jesse's magic phase is really bad, making about 2 skeletons and healing the Vargulf.

End VC turn 1

Turn 2
Having sprinted at speeds beyond thought to get into formation, the Longbeards decide it's time for some beer. They fail stupidity and leave their flank exposed to the enemy.
Warriors move into the gap to their west, Hammerers move up slightly. My brave general sprints into the open, march blocking the Black Knights. He also taunts the trailing Dire Wolves to charge him. smile.gif

Bolt throwers get 2 Black Knights, other shooting smashes some skeletons. Pretty certain I went with Ancient Power this turn, slowing the Vargulf and perhaps the big ghoul unit.

end Dwarf turn 2

With my flank sitting there exposed, Jesse cannot resist starting to kill the Longbeards. He knows I'll stubbornly hold (scenario), but I'll be stuck without rank bonus for the grind. And if the knights are in combat, flaming rocks won't get dropped on their heads!
His other troops continue their advance, although the western support is slow and he forgets about the fell bats. His central Dire wolves decide not to charge my general and shift east instead.

His magic phase is much better than the first turn as he makes about 20 skeletons in the leading unit. They are about size 30 now. Also heals a wound on his general.

With weaponskill 7 and Banner of the Barrows, the Black Knights hit on 2s. Combat drops 5 Longbeards and I hold.

forgot to take a picture

Turn 3
I tried to set this up to stack the combat res, so its time to start stacking. With the knights out all alone, I have a chance. Warriors into their flank.
Hammerers advance to prevent the skeleton unit from piling into the bigger combat. My BSB moves into combat and the Wight BSB will have no choice but to hit my character. 1+ save against S4 and immune to killing blow means I should be fine.

Most importantly, my wandering general sees a new destination. The enemy has gotten badly split up and the bunker unit is isolated. The first turn stone thrower hit means there are only 8 of them, so no rank either. My general goes east towards the bunker. Anvil sends him into combat!!
Shooting knocks the nearby skeletons down to 28.

General kills 2 ghouls, earning another on combat res.

In the important combat, my charging warriors pull an incredible feat and drag down a Black Knight. His knights have trouble with my toughness and armour and only get 2 Longbeards. His BSB rolls a 2 for armour save and my BSB's flaming weapon thus inflicts a wound! Wounds are equal but I am ahead by static 5. BSB knocks out one of those, then he gets to regen the rest. He fails 3/4 regen saves!! That leaves just the BSB and two knights. I forget to turn the Longbeards though.

end Dwarf turn 3

This is not the situation he was expecting. Forward skeletons charge my Hammerers. Eastern wolves charge S7. Following infantry blocks and Vargulf move up. His BSB moves to the other side of his knights, so he isn't forced to swing at my BSB. (It just dawned on me that isn't legal! If you are touching an enemy, you cannot move.)

It isn't clear if the big ghoul unit is within 8 inches of my warriors for Danse to work. After a quick discussion, we conclude the first raised knight would go the east, in contact with only Longbeards, but the second raised knight would go on the west side and push my warriors back an inch. That inch makes it more likely VanHel's on the ghouls would reach.

In short, he needs to raise 2 knights and then get off VanHel's. The magic doesn't work as his dice revert to the bad form of turn 1. He fails several invocations and I husband my dispel dice to stop just his low rolls. With that, it takes too many power dice to get that second knight raised and his two attempts at two dice VanHel's fail to cast. I didn't even need to use my one spellbreaker on the critical turn.

In combat, wolves kill the S7 bolt thrower and overrun off the table. My general kills 3 ghouls and nets another from combat resolution. Only the ghast stands between me and the Vampire Lord. Little vampire kills one Hammerer, I do minor damage.

His knights and BSB get just one Longbeard and he fails the saves to lose a knight in return. Again his regeneration rolls are low and the unit is wiped out, although the BSB still stands. This also lets my warriors pile in a bit more to maintain maximum contact, likely taking them just beyond charge range of the following ghouls.

end VC turn 3

Turn 4
Nothing can move, not much can see to shoot. But the Organ Gun finally gets a turn to contribute and does so in a really big way, producing 10 hits and about 8 wounds on the Vargulf, which fails to regenerate enough. Wow! Anvil slows the approaching ghouls.

His BSB dies from combat resolution. Hammerers kill a few skeletons and wound the little vampire.

Death of the BSB and Black Knights, plus the shocking loss of the Vargulf, has me clearly ahead on points. But my general has a chance to secure a massacre and write himself into Dwarf legends. He has snuck through the middle of the VC army, past at least 4 units that could have killed him, and engaged the Vampire Lord's bunker. Only one ghast stands between him and winning the game. The Vampire Lord is already wounded, so two wounds on the ghast will instantly wipe the Vampire Lord from combat resolution. Merely killing the ghast will leave the Vampire Lord with only one wound remaining and I get to swing first next round. drum roll please ...

whiff sad.gif

My general of suck reverts to form, whiffs, autobreaks, and is run down.

end Dwarf turn 4

The Vampire Lord joins the keg skeletons while the infantry advance. Dire wolves return and face my flaming bolt thrower. She heals herself and makes some skeletons, but dice and my one scroll stop attempts to VanHel's into my Warriors.

Hammerers take out the little Vampire they are fighting.

end VC turn 4

Turn 5
My Longbeards now fail stupidity again. They've only tested three times and they've failed two. Admittedly the first one worked out, but this one traps the warriors in place and they are neither stubborn nor double unit strength. It also prevents the Longbeards from expanding back to 5 wide to get a rank bonus.

Shooting has my stone thrower nick the ghouls and kill a couple. The Organ Gun used all its good ammunition on the Vargulf last turn and now explodes.
Hammerer-skeleton grind continues.

end Dwarf turn 5

End game
He charges the flank of my warriors. They weren't allowed to move normally because of the stupid Longbeards, but they can flee. They do and barely fit in between the Longbeards and the Stone Thrower. A 9+ inch flee would have been required to kill them.

No more pictures and I don't remember details on how the end played out, but the result is fairly clear. He lacks the combat power to take out my scenario-stubborn Longbeard block while the BSB and Black Knights are worth plenty of points.

Yes, I totally forgot about the Miners all game.

VICTORY FOR THE DWARFS!
His skeletons with the keg never got in close combat, so no objective for me.

I won this game on luck more than anything else. His Black Knights couldn't roll and several of his magic phase rolls were terrible. The Longbeards failing stupidity turn 2 to not face forward actually HELPED me, as otherwise he wouldn't have charged in so soon.
On the other hand, that move was clearly a mistake on his part. Knowing the Longbeards would hold, he was going to be down static 5 the next round and static 6 once I won a round. Even hitting on 2s, only 1/3 of his hits will kill something, which is about 2 a round. If I can make his BSB hit my BSB, that is even worse. I did a good job of keeping his other stuff far away and I pulled a legendary manuever to nearly kill his general. In other words, writing this up makes me feel I did something to earn the victory, even if the dice were very helpful.

At the end of day 1, despite facing Daemons and VC, I am 3-0. Only claimed one objective, but 52 battle points is a lot. Out of 80 people, there is one 56 (Daemons) and 4 other 52s (1 Daemon, 1 WE, not sure about the others). I should be up against something really bad next.

Saturday Night game
I grabbed a game against one of the guys helping to run the tournament Saturday night. He ran a Wood Elf army. As always, I cannot remember his last name (sorry), but his first name was also David! smile.gif

A really big forest dominated the middle of the table and gave me trouble. He successfully hid his Treeman in there until he got really close, then the stone thrower refused to land on his head. I hit the Treeman with Longbeards in the rear, but he passes all the break tests until the last 7 EG (perfect stone thrower turn 1, some bolt thrower shots) hit me in the rear. Some wardancers pile in my flank too. That lasts for a long time, until perhaps turn 8, but eventually the big tree kills off the Longbeards.
My BSB led the Hammerers across the table, eventually the last 8 were Anvil'd into his one dryad unit and smashed them. I hoped to overrun into his lord and a wizard but was short and they got away.
Warriors failed fear on the first charge attempt, then chased off treekin twice but couldn't catch them.
Anvil blew up turn 4, ensuring he gets a victory. I think it was a draw or even me ahead at the end of 6 turns though.

Game 4 - David Inman, Daemons
Not as overtly nasty as David Bowman's butt-stomping Khorne dogs from Bayou Battles, but pretty similar

4 Khorne Heralds on juggers with 0+ armour and S7. BSB with penalty to cast banner.
3x6 Flesh Hounds
3x5 Furies
3x12 Bloodletters, full command, +d6 first charge

Basically he has extra bloodletters and their command instead of more flesh hounds or some flamers. But I've been saying for months that the Flesh Hound heavy list is a game breaker. Bowman and Bayou battles made me realize the 4 Heralds might be stronger than the Bloodthirster, at least when combined with the Hounds. In other words, I've hated this list for months and I'm dinging it automatically.

Pre-Game
He makes me take the side with a hill in the front center of the deployment zone. That also keeps me off the side with better corners to castle in. He hopes I'll foolishly castle around the hill. I know better, but stick crossbows and warriors on it to make him waste time killing them. To my surprise, he doesn't send anything up the east table edge and his dogs bias west. His heralds all start in infantry units.
I leave one bolt thrower on the west and put the real stuff in the eastern corner.

I make a point of going into this game forcing myself to think I'm going to win. Ancient Power is going to hit 3 units every turn of the game. The Stone Thrower will drop 2 characters in the first 3 turns. None of my troops will fail leadership tests. But then he wins the first turn and its probably game over.

Turn 1
One fury unit moves up behind the forest, the rest stay home to claim his table quarters. His army advances.

the east side

the west side

Stone thrower explodes on first shot, despite engineer. Crossbows and bolt throwers kill one Flesh Hound. Organ Gun misfires and is fine. Anvil misfires and is fine. Now the game is definitely over.

Turn 2
Hounds charge shooters. Army advances. Aggressive furies come out to be able to charge my bolt thrower.

Hounds kill crossbows and first bolt thrower.

The charges begin

My miners arrive. With nothing march blockable, they contest a far table quarter.

Shooting gets another Flesh Hound. Anvil strikes 3 units this time, killing a dog to the west, injuring some central infantry, and dropping 4 eastern furies.

The Anvil tries, but far too late

Turn 3
His army advances, the hounds turning east.

Khorne closes in

Longbeards move up to force the charge. Warriors move up to claim the cliff edge. Shooting does little, Anvil misses again.

Turn 4
Hounds with BSB into my flank. Infantry with two characters into my front. Other infantry with character into my warriors on hill.

He rolls poorly against warriors and actually loses combat by high ground. But they are daemons, so that does nothing.
Longbeards get slaughtered, both my characters dying to his characters, I blow scenario objective to hold.

The slaughter begins

Hammerers charge him in the flank.
Anvil works, hitting some unengaged hounds.

He only kills 5 Longbeards and I win combat by 1. But again, Daemons don't care about losing combat by a little. The warriors manage a draw.

all pile in

End Game
Anvil gets charged by Flesh Hounds, they wound the Runelord and he cannot hurt them. Continues until the end.
His characters chop the Longbeards to pieces. He throws in the second infantry unit and eventually the characters kill enough to outnumber and autobreak the double unit strength Hammerers.

Anvil survives, wounded. Bolt thrower in corner and Miners in other corner survive because there was no reason for him to kill them. Massacre for the Daemons. I played well enough to win two rounds of combat, but I see no way any Dwarf army should seriously win that game. If that Daemon army goes first, I think it beats anything but other Daemons. Certainly beats anything published before 2008.

#3 David L

David L

White Dwarf

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 06:50 AM

Game 5 - Tom Keegan, Dark Elves
Its the Ogre Daddy! Keegan used to live in Texas and ran the Hombre GT for a few years before I seriously entered the GT scene. Now he lives in Florida. He is a fairly famous guy, at least around these parts.

He brought a non-rude Dark Elf list, and had produced 2 wins and 2 draws with it so far.
unkillable lord with strength 6 (1+ armour, regen, reverse ward)
BSB with Hydra banner
level 2 sorceress with extra spell
level 2 sorceress with dagger
assassin (manbane)
assassin (manbane)

~20 warriors
10 crossbows
2x6 Dark Riders
5 Cold One Knights with ASF banner
10 shades
2 RBTs

The characters are pretty mean, with 6 of them and the insane lord. But he doesn't have heavy magic and his troops are friendly. I don't like the list, because I dislike hero-hammer, but it isn't something I was even close to "bad gaming" for the list.

Pre-game
His dagger wizard produces a perfect roll on Lore of Shadow - both Pit and Lurker. Other one takes Dark Magic and gets Chillwind, Doombolt and something else.

The scenario allows him to move a piece of terrain 3d6 inches, before deployment. He uses that to move a hill out of my deployment zone. The potential balancing factor is I automatically win the roll for first turn.

With that hill dragged out of my deployment zone, the west side of the table is horrible. That hill blocks lots of LOS and a big forest clogs up the middle. (this is the same table I played a pickup game on last night).

I start with crossbows near the line in the middle. I put the Organ Gun behind them, a few inches back, so they can screen it from his magic and shooting. Going across well off the line are Hammerers, Stone Thrower, Longbeards, Anvil, S7, flaming. The warriors deploy forward, ready to enter a building. My general stands on his own east of them, screened from his RBTs by the building.

He puts his knights with BSB way out to the west. Going east, Dark Riders, RBT, lord alone, warriors with wizard, crossbows with wizard, RBT in woods and last Dark Riders beyond the woods. The forest and hill are so big there was nothing I could do to limit scout deployment and the shades go where I expected.
(best picture of deployment is at the end of DE turn 1)

I have a moment of doubt realizing he has three units that could contain assassins. But after a few seconds, I realize he wouldn't want an assassin in the crossbows, so I know where they both are located.

Turn 1
Warriors walk into building. General moves forward, using the building as RBT cover.

I debate dropping a rock on his juicy warrior block, but I remember they are expendable. Instead I crush the western RBT. The bolt throwers are happy to take care of the warriors though, as good rolls cause a panic test that he passes. My crossbows shoot one of his crossbows. In the critically important roll, the anvil tries to slow the shades and misfires. Thankfully nothing happens.

end of Dwarf 1

His cavalry fail stupidity! Eastern Dark Riders advance cautiously, western Dark Riders start to run around the forest. The Shades decide to wait before exposing themselves while his infantry move forward. The unkillable lord races forward.

His magic phase goes poorly and his shooting only gets one crossbow. The eastern Dark Riders did hit my general, but T5 prevailed.

end of Dark Elf 1, east side

end of Dark Elf 1, west side

Turn 2
The Miners arrive. I consider putting them behind his infantry and squeezing, but I'm not convinced his infantry matter. So they will march block the cavalry. The question is whether I should anvil charge the cavalry flank, or use the anvil for beating up Shades. I'm not convinced flank charging those cavalry is a good idea (Hydra banner and hatred!), but I decide to get into a fight and go for it. The Anvil works and the miners pass fear.

I then have another problem with my screening crossbow unit. The unkillable lord is lined up to smash my crossbows and pursue into my Organ Gun. I'm worried that fleeing the charge will let him EitW into the Organ Gun. (As I write this, I realize that should have been obviously impossible - I deployed the Organ Gun more than 2 inches back from the deployment edge, which means the 28 inches he can cover in two turns cannot possibly get there). After thinking around the issue, I come up with the solution. Reform to 3x3 and angle so his pursuit cannot reach the gun. The center of the crossbows is on the line between his lord and the gun, so he won't have LOS to charge directly.
In other movement, my general moves closer to the Dark Riders, carefully centering himself between the building and table edge so they cannot get out of his charge reach by going around. He also goes far enough forward the Dark Riders cannot get past him to flank charge the warriors that emerge from the building and move towards the enemy crossbows.

With one bolt thrower gone, the Stone Thrower wants warriors now. It hits again, killing many. The bolt throwers may have picked off another couple and they are down to 6 (plus wizard) when it is time for the Organ Gun. Because of the crossbow reform, I have LOS. The Organ Gun rolls a 10 and wipes out the unit. The assassin appears. After a little prompting from me, he looks up the rules in his book and picks up the assassin. One character gone!!

Time for the first close combat of the game ... charging miners. Except he has the ASF banner, so throws 4 strength 4 attacks at me, with hatred. He fails to wound! I throw 2 strength 6 (steam drill) and 3 strength 5 at him. Hitting on 4s, all hit. Wounding on 2s, all wound. Saving on 4s and 5, none saved. My miners rolled PERFECT and wiped out the unit!!! His BSB intelligently breaks and runs away from such incredible killing power.

I'd like to think I've won at this point, except I've fought Dark Elves before. The lord and an assassin, by themselves, can kill an entire Dwarf block. Won't even take that long. Plus he has magic, shades, and a bolt thrower.

end of Dwarf 2

With my awesome dice, he is feeling very behind and looks for a chance to get lucky with the eastern Dark Riders charging my general. His lord charges my crossbows.
Shades step through the woods and Dark Riders around, so they can shoot the Organ Gun. Lonely wizard retreats to the crossbow unit.
Magic and shooting get a couple warriors and pull my scroll (Pit of Shades). He puts everything he can into the Organ Gun and gets two crew. One remains to pull the trigger.

His lord kills 4 crossbows and I hold. My general kills 3 Dark Riders and they break, my general in hot pursuit.

end of Dark Elf 2

Turn 3
Hammerers charge his lord in the flank. I may be unable to hurt him, but up by static 6 should break him.
Warriors march towards his crossbows, general towards the fleeing Dark Riders. Longbeards turn west in case his Dark Riders try to come in behind me.

Stone thrower misses going for the shades, bolt throwers drop 1 crossbow. The Organ Gun, with its last shot, rolls another 10. And no 1s to wound. That wipes out the entire Shade unit and their unrevealed assassin!!
Now I really have won, so I don't use the Anvil.

His lord makes his break test.

The western Dark Riders charge the rear of my crossbows.
Eastern Dark Riders rally. His crossbows wheel towards my warriors so pursuit will go away from the RBT as the wizards abandon the unit.
His BSB runs back into relevance, behind the forest. I start to point out that he isn't a BSB anymore, since he dropped his banner, but drop the point given the game situation.

Dark Riders and lord reduce my crossbows to 2 and drop another Hammerer. The Dark Elves hold again.

end of Dark Elf 3

End Game
After a quick discussion, its time to kill everything! Warriors charge crossbows, general charges Dark Riders. Longbeards move towards the ongoing combat and the anvil sends them in.
One bolt thrower skewers a wizard.

His lord and Dark Riders somehow hold the first time, thanks to BSB re-rolls. His BSB comes over to play too. The Dark Riders run, then the Lord follows and my Hammerers get stuck on the BSB. I break him too and fight the Lord again while the Dark Riders have had enough and fail to rally off the table.

My general finishes off his eastern Dark Riders while the warriors break crossbows. But the crossbows get away and rally and my stone thrower fails to kill the RBT. In total, I lost my crossbows and half my Hammerers. Maybe half the warriors too.

VICTORY FOR THE DWARFS!
I also earned all four objectives.

Yes, yet another victory more on luck than on anything else. His magic rolls were bad, the Miners killing the Cold Ones was insane, and two 10s from the Organ Gun ended any hope for him.
Yet he did make mistakes and I capitalized on them. I've noticed multiple Dark Elf players that keep their assassins hidden when they shouldn't. Certainly the case here, where if the assassins appear and stay with the unit, they cannot get shot. I also think his cold one unit was deployed way too far away. After he moved that hill, the western 2-3 feet of table was unusable so his cold ones were going to spend a really long time going around. They might have killed my Miners, they weren't going to accomplish more. My warriors did their job of drawing fire and even tried to earn victory points.

Overall Results
4 wins and a loss, 2 full objectives. 76 battle points. I felt I had no chance to win the game I lost, I doubt I would have won even going first. In other words, I did AWESOME. Except I had such great luck in three of my victories they don't indicate that much about skill. They also weren't that interesting as games. I did get 7 games total in over the weekend, and both pickup games were lots of fun. I had a good time this weekend.

Totalling up points before the awards, I know I'm getting nothing. Only 2 objectives is not enough to overcome a loss in an 80 person event, so I'm just hoping for a personally satisfying overall score. I had some fears one of those unlucky opponents might have given me a bad game vote, but I tried to be magnaminous and not grind their spirit into the dirt. Still, I cannot see any of those three giving me a best game vote; at least I hope they had more fun games! I kept fairly level headed and not-overly negative against Inman's Khorne Hounds, but I doubt that will get a best game vote either. I might get one from Jody in round 1, I gave him mine, but that's the only real hope for a sportmanship score boost.

Talking with other guys from Houston, I discover Jason Tice's Bretonnians took home 84 battle points! Inman's Hounds beat Drakenhoff Black Knights round 5 (I figured that would be a fairly easy win) to finish with 92. The other top table towards the end has fewer points than Jason, so Jason might squeek into best general if Inman wins Overall. Or maybe other people didn't like Inman's Hounds and joined me in a the "bad game" vote and Jason will win best general.

Then they announce Third Best general and say my name!! Inman takes best general, the high battle point Wood Elves take 2nd general, Jason takes 3rd overall and 3rd general fell all the way down to me! I took home the same award at Alamo last year with the Last Ride of the Silver Helms.

Army List review
ignoring pick-up games
Runelord and Anvil of Doom The magic defense was repeatedly helpful and the anvil was decisive against first Daemons, VC, and Dark Elves. Never died.
Grade: A-
BSB Thain My troops didn't run away from close combat. Flaming weapon injured two regenerating characters. Only died to Daemons.
Grade: A
general Thain Never great, never terrible. Came close to earning a legendary A+ in the VC game.
Grade: C+

Crossbows Productive shooting. Killed three times, but usually deployed where they were likely to get killed.
Grade: B
Warriors Great job of absorbing attention, some real accomplishments in close combat.
Longbeards Generally successful, but unable to do much against VC and Daemons.
Hammerers Did their job of holding up enemies great. Killed some stuff too.
Grade: B+
Miners Never killed, although Empire came close. Two huge victories.

bolt throwers Didn't suck, but didn't do much of note either. Died a lot, although some of that is my deploying one or both as bait.
Grade: C
Stone Thrower Truly massive damage in every victory.
Organ Gun Huge damage in two games and reasonable results in two, but bad game 1.

Shooting vs Close Combat
I beat Empire and Dark Elves almost entirely with shooting, because my shooting rolled great early. I hurt VC with shooting, but clearly beat them in close combat. Against Hounds, I didn't have time for shooting to stand a chance, and I cannot fight them. Beating the first Daemons was a balance between both.

#4 Dunrik Ironhammer

Dunrik Ironhammer

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:35 AM

A great report David! And congratulation for winning third Best general guinesssmilie.gif

Cheers

Dunrik

#5 Feldeghast

Feldeghast

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:34 PM

Very good report which I really enjoyed reading it. It does show that despite the power surge with recent army books, the dwarf army, with a good general, can certainly compete at high levels. Well done on the third place.

#6 Gargash Sotrasson

Gargash Sotrasson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 01:31 PM

congratulations David, well done! Have an ale on me

#7 Torendil Zharrgrund

Torendil Zharrgrund

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 06:31 PM

David, I love your battle reports. You put huge time and effort into them, and they make for excellent reading. You are also a capable general, and it really improves my game by reading yours all the time.
Thank you for this, have your ale on me tonight! drinks.gif

QUOTE (David L @ Nov 15 2008, 07:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alamo GT 2008. San Antonio TX. 80? players.

Dwarf Army List:
Runelord, Anvil of Doom, great weapon, shield
Spellbreaker, Preservation, Stone, Resistance

Thain, BSB
MRoGromril, Preservation, MRoChallenge, Furnace, Fire

Thain (general), shield
MRoSwiftness, Fury, Cleaving, Stone

20 warriors, shields, banner, musician

23 Longbeards, shields, full command
Battle, Stoicism

10 crossbows, shields

20 Hammerers, shields, full command
Stoicism

10 Miners, champion, steam drill

bolt thrower, engineer
Penetrating

bolt thrower, engineer
Burning

Stone Thrower, engineer
Accuracy, Penetrating, Burning

Organ Gun

2247 total
=> Not a list I would play, but I never play anvil...... To be honest it's one fo the few dwarf lists that can do well in the recent tournaments.

Friday Night - Jordan Braun, Skaven
I understand your reasoning behind the vote. I always look at the same thing, which army would I like to take home?
As for the game, I think it was decent, perfect for a warming up.

Game 1 - Jody Tucker, Daemons

VICTORY FOR THE DWARFS!
I beat the Daemons!

I made no mistakes and the Anvil did perfectly. 2 Ancient Power for max units hit, 4 regular power. I also passed every leadership test. The Organ Gun and bolt throwers stunk, but the crossbows did great with their one shot and the Stone Thrower absolutely rocked.

=> Congratulations on winning! It's sad that this is such a big deal, if armies where balanced this wouldn't be the case.... Anyway that's one very nice army he's using, makes up a litle bit for the fact that he plays deamons.

Game 2 - Matt Feinbaum, Empire

VICTORY FOR THE DWARFS!
I hurt the pinata, so I also claim the objective.

=> Nice work, again. I agree that this is a battle that you should have won anyway, but the dice gods dicided they liked you this battle! I've never seen the piniata scenario, it made me laugh.

QUOTE (David L @ Nov 15 2008, 07:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Game 3 - Jesse Garrett, Vampire Counts

VICTORY FOR THE DWARFS!
=> You won it on luck, but you certainly played a very good tactical game, allowing for luck to net you the win. Even without luck you would have played a good game.

Game 4 - David Inman, Daemons
I played well enough to win two rounds of combat, but I see no way any Dwarf army should seriously win that game. If that Daemon army goes first, I think it beats anything but other Daemons. Certainly beats anything published before 2008.

=> Very nasty list, nothing said.

QUOTE (David L @ Nov 15 2008, 07:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Game 5 - Tom Keegan, Dark Elves

VICTORY FOR THE DWARFS!
I also earned all four objectives.
=> As I said before the luck really helped but you played a good game as well. I agree about the assassin part, I guess the "hidden assassin fluff" gets into their minds to much.

Overall Results

Then they announce Third Best general and say my name!! Inman takes best general, the high battle point Wood Elves take 2nd general, Jason takes 3rd overall and 3rd general fell all the way down to me! I took home the same award at Alamo last year with the Last Ride of the Silver Helms.
=> Hurray! Ales for all! drinks.gif

Army List review
ignoring pick-up games
Runelord and Anvil of Doom The magic defense was repeatedly helpful and the anvil was decisive against first Daemons, VC, and Dark Elves. Never died.
BSB Thain My troops didn't run away from close combat. Flaming weapon injured two regenerating characters. Only died to Daemons.
general Thain Never great, never terrible. Came close to earning a legendary A+ in the VC game.
Grade: C+
=> Love this part of the battle reports. Anvil+BSB did very good, RoPreservation is really needed in today's tournament scene. As for the general, that's one of the reasons I went back to 2 character armies. The dwarven thane just doesn't do the job for me.

Crossbows Productive shooting. Killed three times, but usually deployed where they were likely to get killed.
Warriors Great job of absorbing attention, some real accomplishments in close combat.
Longbeards Generally successful, but unable to do much against VC and Daemons.
Hammerers Did their job of holding up enemies great. Killed some stuff too.
Grade: B+
Miners Never killed, although Empire came close. Two huge victories.
=> Even if luck played a big part I'm glad you liked the miners. Did you try the Gyro yet?

bolt throwers Didn't suck, but didn't do much of note either. Died a lot, although some of that is my deploying one or both as bait.
Grade: C
Stone Thrower Truly massive damage in every victory.
Organ Gun Huge damage in two games and reasonable results in two, but bad game 1.
=> BT have their days, depending on one dice roll is always hard. As for your GT, he crazy, mine NEVER performs that good!

Thanks a lot!

Torendil the Slayer

#8 Mathurian

Mathurian

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 06:32 PM

I was wondering if/when you'd get this up, it was fun seeing you there! Also, FYI if I read the rules correctly (p.3) you actually pick your table quarter by making the first deployment, thus I believe in game 5 your opponent should've had to move terrain before you picked table sides. Overall, very nice reports and way to bring home some hardware!

#9 Furgil

Furgil

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:51 PM

The Alamo was indeed fun, just like David Long I also recieved 76 Battle points from 4 victories, 1 loss and 2 objectives. I too was massacred by David Inman's rediculously boring Daemons. And I also felt the need to "Ding" them for their OTT style (and this is comming from a Vampire player dry.gif ).

I had no idea you were doing so well, and it appears that you won 3rd general from simply getting more best game votes than me, but I haven't seen the actual scores yet. Good job on the award and nice battle reports.

I've got around 12,000 points od Dwarfs just sitting around (only painted 3000 points so far), maybe I should just go ahead and use them in a GT.

Edited by Furgil, 15 November 2008 - 09:55 PM.

#10 Mathurian

Mathurian

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE (Furgil @ Nov 15 2008, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Alamo was indeed fun, just like David Long I also recieved 76 Battle points from 4 victories, 1 loss and 2 objectives. I too was massacred by David Inman's rediculously boring Daemons. And I also felt the need to "Ding" them for their OTT style (and this is comming from a Vampire player dry.gif ).

I had no idea you were doing so well, and it appears that you won 3rd general from simply getting more best game votes than me, but I haven't seen the actual scores yet. Good job on the award and nice battle reports.

I've got around 12,000 points od Dwarfs just sitting around (only painted 3000 points so far), maybe I should just go ahead and use them in a GT.

I didn't realize anyone else from the brewery way there! Did you bring vampires you said? I brought TK and I played one VC player but it wouldn't have been you since I was well below you in points at that time dry.gif

#11 Lord Gargarim

Lord Gargarim

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 08:40 PM

A great read as always! Good work getting 3rd best general! YOu have proven that Dwarfs can actually do well in events. How did that guy do that with those lights?? Are they clear plastic with a light inside them? DO they look like the actual flamers/horrors?

Lord G. king.gif

#12 Lord of the Hunt

Lord of the Hunt

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:21 PM

Fantastic report! beer1.gif Ale for that!

It's strange that Thane's don't work for you guys, ok admitted mine has a day off once in a while. But usually
he just sweeps a couple times with his GW and my opponent picks up some models...The only hero that is consistently doing better is Snorri!!
I like the list bar for a few things: 10 miners or 8 that's personal preference, but the steam drill isn't worth it IMO.
and only 20 warriors? 1 body removed means a whole rank of SCR less? and last the RoStoicism on the hammerers. I'd prefer a RoCourage just to make sure they never break because of fear/terror (if you drop the champ+drill on the miners you have "my" list smile.gif )
and i'll say it again: An Absolute fantastic report! You make it clear what you're going to do and why, the pictures make it very clear to.

And that daemon army look very cool smile.gif I can imagine the costs for the batteries though as those are "I Swear Too Much" expensive...How did he do that?
Thanks again beer1.gif Ales on Torendil!

hunter.gif Lord of the hunt

#13 Caneghem

Caneghem

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 01:57 AM

QUOTE (Mathurian @ Nov 16 2008, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Furgil @ Nov 15 2008, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't realize anyone else from the brewery way there! Did you bring vampires you said? I brought TK and I played one VC player but it wouldn't have been you since I was well below you in points at that time dry.gif

I guess I make four of us.

David L also wins the prize for "most army pride". When he got the 3rd general award he shouted "Dwarves!" or was that "Dwarfs"? Either way, it was hilarious.

As for me, I didn't take any pictures. I came out with a win, two losses and two draws. I took 2 and 1/4 objectives... so I did OK battle point wise. My army isn't much painted unfortunately, but they actually tossed me 10 points for the few models I have painted! So overall I had an enjoyable first tournament, it has inspired me to paint for next year.

EDIT: Just saw that the results are posted... all the awards are shuffled around! I'm not sure what all happened, but they really seemed to mix things up. Next year they ought to have a couple hour break after the last game so they can really nail the results down before announcing. Even 1st overall changed! I guess I can boast that I managed a draw against the new 1st overall player, and even claimed the objective from him! He had a very nicely painted VC army... Also I threw him my best game vote, he was pretty cool to play with.

Miners are probably what won the day for me in the game. The first unit arrived on turn 2, behind a rather large unit of fell bats which had been hit with the anvil the previous turn and weren't moving. My turn 2 saw them rear charge and wipe out the unit, and they annoyed him for the rest of the game (I think). The other unit turned up on my left flank, and with the help of some preliminary shooting they managed to wipe out a unit of black knights and attract the attention of his Varghulf. Another key moment was my huge luck in him miscasting at the very beginning of one of his magic phases, and he rolls the 8 which wounded the caster and ended his magic phase. I had awful problems with my terrain, and my hammerers never saw combat. He managed to terror one of my warrior units during the last turn, so they couldn't rally... But the luck was mostly on my side.

Edited by Caneghem, 17 November 2008 - 05:01 AM.

#14 David L

David L

White Dwarf

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:05 AM

The full results are finally up. It turns out I was erroneously awarded 3rd general. They had problems with their software towards the end (Overlord software, which is what everyone uses!!) and made a mistake. Since my getting it was a shock to me, this doesn't bother me. Hopefully it pleases Derek Wiswell, who actually claims that minor title. On the pure battle point ranking, I belong in 8th place (3 way tie for 7th with me in the middle on the tiebreakers). The only reason 4th best general fell to me is because the overall winners all beat me on battle points, plus another person got knocked down for bad sportsmanship (see the Alamo website if you want a scoring explanation).

I must guiltily admit my shout of "Dwarfs" was not so much pride as wonderment. "How can this happen?" is what I was thinking at the time.

Caneghem, what was in Ed Philip's army? The Leadership 2 guys are all really good, with awesome paint scores, but I didn't even notice Ed near the top of the battle points during the tournament. He finished with the same total as me, so I'm guessing he got 2 draws.

Edited by David L, 17 November 2008 - 03:08 AM.

#15 Caneghem

Caneghem

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 04:59 AM

QUOTE (David L @ Nov 16 2008, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The full results are finally up. It turns out I was erroneously awarded 3rd general. They had problems with their software towards the end (Overlord software, which is what everyone uses!!) and made a mistake. Since my getting it was a shock to me, this doesn't bother me. Hopefully it pleases Derek Wiswell, who actually claims that minor title. On the pure battle point ranking, I belong in 8th place (3 way tie for 7th with me in the middle on the tiebreakers). The only reason 4th best general fell to me is because the overall winners all beat me on battle points, plus another person got knocked down for bad sportsmanship (see the Alamo website if you want a scoring explanation).

I must guiltily admit my shout of "Dwarfs" was not so much pride as wonderment. "How can this happen?" is what I was thinking at the time.

Caneghem, what was in Ed Philip's army? The Leadership 2 guys are all really good, with awesome paint scores, but I didn't even notice Ed near the top of the battle points during the tournament. He finished with the same total as me, so I'm guessing he got 2 draws.

It was a pretty balanced Vamp list, although it was my first encounter with VC. From what I remember...

A large unit of fellbats (at least 6)
5 black knights
Varghulf
2 wraiths with one banshee
5 wolves
two blocks of ghouls
one block of skellies
Corpse cart with necromancer
BSB was riding something, forget what it was
His general was with the big ghoul unit with the corpse cart. He had the helm of commandment and some item that gave him all the vampire spells. He had a lot of dice in the magic phase, and drew my first scroll out when he cast something that hits every one of my units and raises a unit of ghosts based on how many wounds he does. So I guess he traded some of the popular stuff like blood knights and grave guard for a super magic phase.

Only thing I'm not sure on is the block units, he wound up with more, but I can't remember which he raised and which were always there.

He may have gotten two draws or maybe he didn't do well with objectives. I faced him in the pinata game and my organ gun rolled its only 10 of the tournament and blew that thing across the map.

#16 Furgil

Furgil

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:08 AM

QUOTE (Mathurian @ Nov 16 2008, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup I was there with my Bretonnian-themed Vampire Cavalry army. (Had the little lake with the undead lady in the center)

Well now I see the results and it looks like I came in tied for 6th in overall points and tied for 5th in battle points with David L and one other player.

I had heard the next day that there were some scoring issues, but didn't realise you were one of them David... that sucks. At Bayou Battles they dropped me a rank after re-tallying scores there (2nd general changed to 3rd overall), it's annoying getting a higher award then having them tell you whoops, can you give that back!?

@ David: Do you have more plans for new armies in the future or are you staying with the stunties for a while longer? I've only seen you with High Elves and Dwarfs and you swore of HE with the 7th edition Army Book.

I'm personally getting tired of bad game votes just for having a strong army list. So I guess I'll be going back to the Remans or Thebains and hopefully some new armies that are in the works (though they are goofy too, so might get comp drops as well)

#17 David L

David L

White Dwarf

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 02:14 PM

I'm staying with Dwarfs a bit longer to get a gyrocopter flying.

I have been proxying a VC army and accumulating models though. I limited myself to no wraiths (after wiping an entire army with just them), no Drakenhoff, and 3 characters in an attempt to be friendly. Theoretically the Grave Guard unit is the game winner, boosted by magic. Yet I'm not sure it is all that friendly, because the magic is still huge and the Vargulf performs well above its cost. Even playing with the VC instead of against them, Invocation spam feels kinda boring. I can see my opponent waiting for me to cast something else and finally resigning himself to dispelling a couple invocations because nothing else is going to happen.

#18 Torendil Zharrgrund

Torendil Zharrgrund

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE (David L @ Nov 17 2008, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
=> Glad you're going to try one!

I have been proxying a VC army and accumulating models though. I limited myself to no wraiths (after wiping an entire army with just them), no Drakenhoff, and 3 characters in an attempt to be friendly. Theoretically the Grave Guard unit is the game winner, boosted by magic. Yet I'm not sure it is all that friendly, because the magic is still huge and the Vargulf performs well above its cost. Even playing with the VC instead of against them, Invocation spam feels kinda boring. I can see my opponent waiting for me to cast something else and finally resigning himself to dispelling a couple invocations because nothing else is going to happen.

I kind of feel the same about VC these days. Magic isn't a phase I look forward to anyway, but I do get some pleasure in deciding which spells to stop and which to let go. Against VC however the one-dice-casting phase is really boring, and I find myself not paying attention and getting a drink very often....
(On the other hand I LOVE the O&G casting phase, funny spells, funny discriptions, gobo's blowing up......)

Torendil the Slayer

#19 Caneghem

Caneghem

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (Torendil the Slayer @ Nov 17 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (David L @ Nov 17 2008, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
=> Glad you're going to try one!

I kind of feel the same about VC these days. Magic isn't a phase I look forward to anyway, but I do get some pleasure in deciding which spells to stop and which to let go. Against VC however the one-dice-casting phase is really boring, and I find myself not paying attention and getting a drink very often....
(On the other hand I LOVE the O&G casting phase, funny spells, funny discriptions, gobo's blowing up......)

Torendil the Slayer

Idea for a dwarf rune...
Master Rune of Disruption (75-100 points)
Dwarven disdain for magic reached its pinnacle when an ancient Runelord created this rune.
Can only be scribed on a Runelord's weapon (staff). Enemy casters rolling a single die to cast a spell who roll a '1' have their spell stopped (though I think it fails regardless on 1?), the Dwarf player rolls a D6 and on a 4+ the wizard suffers a miscast. Bound items or spells that roll only one die to cast and roll a 1 are stopped and are destroyed on a 5+.
Dwarfs become the undisputed kings of magic defense! Seriously, a couple extra dispel dice is a rather lightweight bonus. This would have those VC seriously reconsidering those chain-raisings. Downside is some armies won't be affected much, if they don't go magic heavy (as with all magic defense). But it definitely will put a hurt on the VC. Does nothing to protect against big spells, so you'd probably still need a scroll. I like the fact that it punishes lists who rely heavily on that one phase. Lizardmen immunity to miscast would of course still be in place.

#20 Brodrick

Brodrick

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:37 PM

QUOTE (Caneghem @ Nov 16 2008, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess I make four of us.

I was there as well. Didn't do anywhere near as well as David.

My ceremonial night before game with Furgil and his VC set the tone for the weekend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users