8 replies to this topic

#1 Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 03:59 PM

Hey everybody.

What I'm working on currently is a new dwarf army using figures from 82-92 (older is better of course).

The army will be painted with a nautical theme. The primary colors will be navy blue and white. The display board will be a WFB scale ironclad. Each unit will have a spacer representing part of the ship. Aerators, crows nest, hatches and so forth.

I have approximately 300 figures from that era right now which is more than enough. My question is this: Assuming accomodation can be reached I'm interested in trading some figures. Being new to this board I don't have access to the trading forums yet.

All my stuff is stripped clean and in perfect condition. I'm looking to swap duplicates and provide myself and someone else with a more diverse collection.

Amongst my tradestock is a complete set of Prince Uthers Dragon Company, lots of the 88-90 slayer sculpts, sappers, engineers, original hammerers, the original throne of power, cannon, several organ guns etc.

Any ideas for the ship theme are also welcome!

#2 sanj

sanj

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 04:50 PM

#3 Tungdil Goldhand

Tungdil Goldhand

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 04:58 PM

That sounds good! Something I'd have done, if it wasn't for my Tavern project ...

I know of a Flying Ship from Golden Demon 1997 (saw it in my collector's guide), here is a link:
Clicky
(always wanted to see better pics of this one, never found them!)

Found this while browsing the net:
Clicky

And I know of a forum member here, I believe Skull Crusher, who made a Ironclad of it's own. Not as huge to display a full Dwarf Army on it, but still looking great and not one of the smallest.

As for the trading. Unfortunately, I have no figures that might be suitable for you, but if you have any old Dwarf drunks, Dwarfs with mugs, kegs or anything simliar (Halflings matching the same desrcription will be fine too!), please let me know'. It's for my Dwarf Tavern Diorama.

#4 Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:00 AM

Awesome.

Sadly, although I once had the drunken dwarf collection many years ago I managed to lose them. The only one with a beer mug I currently own is the second version of Joseph Bugman. Not exactly rare but I'd trade him if you needed one.

Thanks for the pics. Mine will be big, obviously but nearly all the horizontal space will be covered with dwarves so that will save me detailing the deck. I might add some sea monsters though.

#5 Kuzdini

Kuzdini

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE (Brick Bungalow @ Sep 15 2008, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awesome.

Sadly, although I once had the drunken dwarf collection many years ago I managed to lose them. The only one with a beer mug I currently own is the second version of Joseph Bugman. Not exactly rare but I'd trade him if you needed one.

Thanks for the pics. Mine will be big, obviously but nearly all the horizontal space will be covered with dwarves so that will save me detailing the deck. I might add some sea monsters though.

hmm.. worrysome.. whats the best a new guy can hope for? Skull Pass set? <grin>
I should've started this 14 yrs ago..

#6 Perv

Perv

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:25 AM

Do you have lists of what figs you need and have to swap mate?

For the Ironclad. There are lots of places that sell accesories for model boat building so you can use some of these to add detail to your ship but as for the hull, I've never found anywhere that sells detailed hulls with a flat bottom. They have always been the full rounded bottoms as if they were out of the water. I've considered using the Lego ship bases but for a very large model they dont do anything big enough. If you find somewhere that sells flat bottomed hulls then I'd be very happy for a link wink.gif If you cant find any then building the hull from scratch may be your only option sad.gif

Edited by Perv, 16 September 2008 - 11:26 AM.

#7 Tungdil Goldhand

Tungdil Goldhand

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:02 PM

BB, that's no problem. I should have all Citadel figures that fit a spot in the tavern well, which only leaves converting. Asking never hurts though wink.gif

Do you think you're able to do it with (reinforced) plasticard? So, you make a wooden frame and glue sheets of plasticards on it? Should make a quite strong base for your ship and carry the figures easily.

Perhaps you can get some ideas from here. Partly I think you might get inspiriation here and there, partly I want to share this piece of WIP goddessy.

Clicky

#8 Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:58 PM

The hull will be primarily insulation foam. The detailing will be done with plasticard, balsa wood and plastic bits from my collection. I've already got the prow, paddlewheels, smokestacks and several other components basically worked out. I'm still open to ideas for adding rivets. Currently I use a hole punch and a sheet of plasticard. This works well and gives me a lot of flexibility with shape and size but it is pretty tedious. There will be a large aft area with a landing pad and aircraft elevators for the gyrocopters. I'm also using a number of classic blood bowl figures for ships crew.

As for figures. I HAVE: the complete regiment of Prince Uthers Dragon company, Dwarf sappers, Two original organ guns with crew, All three editions of gyrocopter, the original hammerers, fire throwers, original slayers, several editions of thunderers including some from mid to early 80's
(this is all tradestock, not my entire collection)

I NEED: original ironbreakers, original longbeards, original crossbows, original cannon with crew, original flame cannon, any cool characters or townsfolk types. Would particularly like a wizard.

#9 Dwarf Lord Mick

Dwarf Lord Mick

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:19 PM

Cant wait to see some results GL with it yahoo.gif yahoo.gif yahoo.gif .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users