138 replies to this topic

#1 Giladis

Giladis

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 08:33 AM

Inspired by a project started by Billthe bloody some time ago I have decided that it might not be a bad idea to try and to it for good this time.

Here is a map that shows majority of the areas where dwarfs live. What I ask of you is to tell/show ME where your hold is. its name and also add up to 3 sentances about it including the name of the current king. If you do not have your own hold and your background is based on one of the clans in the greater holds post that as well so that WE may make a list of clans of those holds. Once again you write who is the head of the clan, where do they live.

I will keep the map up to date every week with the information about the holds below it. Also I would like for you to tell ME if your location is a hold, mine or something third and is it big ( 20 000+ Dwarfs ), medium ( 1 000-20 000 Dwarfs )or small ( >1 000 Dwarfs ) . For reference look here: <a href="http://www.bugmansbrewery.com/forum/index....t=0#entry156813" target="_blank">http://www.bugmansbrewery.com/forum/index....t=0#entry156813</a>

HOLDS

Ankor-a-Troggar - It is known for producing the 4th best ale in the entire Karaz Ankor. Amout a 1000 Dwarfs live there. [Snorri Blackbrew]

Azul Karagit - A small mine in the Grey Mountains of just over 500 inhabitants. They provide valuble minerals to other nearby holds, especialy iron for Karak Norn. The council of elders rules over it. [Shamri Spatulabeard]

Barak Mere - King Ulfar. It is the largest hold outside the World Edge Mountains with 89 000 inhabitants. [Prince Ulfar]

Copper Peak - Lord Barrell Thunderberg. Founded by exiles from Barak Varr this hold is famous for large deposits of copper second only to those of Karak Izor. [The Thunderberger]

Grom Karaz - The current Lord is one Barafo Steelfounder, descendant of Hanagrim Steelfounder.
There where roughly around 300 dwarfs in total, including families, but my hold was besieged during the SOC and many of them where lost, although a contingment from Karak Kadrin (Sent by Ungrim Ironfist) has stopped our numbers from faltering. [Barafo Steelfounder]

Grongol Drakk (The Dragon Tomb) - Thane Dargon Firemane. A settlement has been built around a ancient tomb by expatriot Dragonback dwarfs. Around 600 of them have chosen it for their home. [Dargon]

Grungron A Drakkal (the forge of dragons) - It is a large mining and smithing centre even by dwarf standards and many of the weapons produced there find their way into other holds. The inhabitants when not doing their tasks search for a certain lost hold. [Enoshima]

Karag Garaz - King Azktar Alriksson. This is one of the newest holds in Karaz Ankor, founded by clans from Karaz-A-Karak to guard the eastern aproaches of their former hold. A 1000 dwarfs live there but more are comming every year. [Durak Ironfist]

Karak-a-Gnoll - King Thorgrim Hirndour. It now holds a population of about 11,000 dwarfs of which the standing army numbers about 4000. Of course, most of these have not returned from the Storm of Chaos yet. [Orcslicer]

Karak-a-Thingaz - King named Githrim Bravehammer. He is a vassal to the King of Karak Norn. Hold was founded by dwarfs of Karak Norn to guard their border with Athel Loren. Its population number 1400 dwarfs. [starsky]

Ankor-a-Troggar - Lord Snorri Blackbrew. Inhabitants of this hold like hunting Trolls. [Snorri Blackbrew]

Karak Angbard - King Theagrim Duratav. Located near Karak Izor and 6 000 dwarfs live there. [Blackthrone]

Karak Ankor - King Bor Stonefist. There are 3.500 dwarfs. Hold also contains a seizable human population. [Bor]

Karak Azamar - King Thodin Longbeard. The hold is hidden behind a waterfall and has a powerful flotila of gyrocopters. Much of its wealth comes from selling armour to the human knights that live not far from it. [Thodin Longbeard]

Karak Baldour - Helgrim Stonecleaver. The hold is hidden to all so little is know about it by even other dwarfs. [Helgrim Stonecleaver]

Karak Dirj - Prince Danvar Aletap. Founded by refugess from Karak Drazh. They are gaining welth by trade with Tileans in hope of rasing enough funds to reclaim their ancient hold. [IsawaShori]

Karak Drakk Zharr - King Thorgrim Skornuk. Once it was famed for its weapons were forged with dragon flame but during the Strom of Chaos the best mutated and had to be slain. The Holds king to on a quest to find those responsible for what happened to the best and bring them to justice. Some 12 000 Dwarfs inhabit the hold. [Thorgrim29]

Karak Dron (Enduring Thunder) - King Ulrick Stonemasher. Some 12 000 dwarfs call it home and are known for their love and knowledge of steam technologies. Holds welth comes from many gemstones and small but dense vein of gromril. [haffee]

Karak Grimm - King Grudnik Metalbeard. The hold is really new and the construction on it main hall is still underway but this has not prevented 2 000 dwarfs make a home for themselves there. [Grundik Metalbeard]

Karak Horn - Thane Sven Hardshield. It is an ancient hold that was abandoned centuries ago when its people fled to Barak Varr. Now a band of Norse dwarfs made it their home. Roughly 1 000 residents. [The Northern Dwarf]

Karak Karin (Mountain Shield) - King Grimdal Dragonaxe. Responsibile for guarding the Karaz Ankor from the isidus threat from the north. Now even more since Karag Vlag disapeared 2 centuries ago. 40 000 Dwarfs can be found there but great many are warriors sent from other holds to help the folk of Karak Karin in their vigil. [Gotrek the slayer]

Karak Khar - A hold of 5 000 that is dug into the norther side of the High Pass. [thecornerstone]

Karak Kol (Black Stronghold) - King Dunrik Ironhammer. Renowned for its pitch black stone buildings built above the hold. 7 500 Dwarfs call it home. [Dunrik]

Karak Rill - Thane Maugrim. Population 3000. [Ruben]

Karak Tzor - Lord Thorek the Immortal. The hold controls the shaky mountain borderland between Bretonnia and the Empire. [Thorek the Immortal]

Karak Wyr (Snowy Mountain) - King Gudrun Skorrisson. Stonehard Clan, Ironmaster Clan, Malnarson Clan, Dargosson Clan. Population of 3700, roughly equally divided amongst three clans. The Malnarsons have been on a grudge quest for a couple of decades now, and are not expected soon. They numbered 900 strong, but their current number is unknown. [Dourin]

Karak Und - King Thorin. A small hold at the eastern entrance of the Peak Pass. [Thorin Lord of Karak Und]

Karak Uzkul - King Barundar Blackhammer. Hold had suffered a massive earthquake in which most of its tunnels colapsed killing thousands of Dwarfs including the former king. Only 500 survived the catastrophy. [Barundar Blackhammer]

Karak Zharrul-Lok - King Wheggi Longtoker. Though disconnected from other dwarf holds its residents are still firm in holding on to the old ways and are know for producing wonderful smoking pipes made out of ivory. As many as 12 000 dwarfs live there. [Wheggi]

Karak Zhuf (Everflow) - King Loki Khrumazi. Renowned for its underground waterfall and its large percentage of female dwarfs. Outside dwarfs sometimes consider its inhabitants to unorthodox to really be called dwarfs and Cold One riding Iron breakers do not help with that situation. Population 27 000 and growing due to the constant imigration of batchlers. [Giladis]

Karak Zon Strollar (Hold of the rising Sun) - Thane Gundrik the Enlightened One. This hold has only recently been founded and is a great place of healing where many wounded or crippled dwarfs go to regain their strength. Population of 800. [dwarfdude]

Karaz-A-Hazkal (Mountain of Fresh Beer) - Brewmaster Glonar Grodriksson. The entire hold is fashioned like one great tavern. [Glonar Grodriksson]

Karaz-A-Undzan - King Grimstok Barangaz. Now less than 1500 dwarfs live there following the devastation from Waaagh Gorbad but inspite all they continue with their ancestral task of protecting the passes of the Black Mountains. [Crask]

Karaz Dron - King Tholdalf Snowbeard. [Tholdalf Snowbeard]

Karaz Stromgorl - Ruined. Population mainly fled to Kazad-Ong-Varr. [tah Kazak Rik]

Karaz Valdahaz (Mountain Brewery) - This is one of the few remaining dwarf settlements in the Dragonback Mountains. [Thorin Redore]

Kazad A Unbarakal - One of the remotest holds in the world. [Glod-Unbaraki]

Kazad Barangaz (Irongate Fortress) - King Arngrim Mountainheart Bryntrommal, around 8,000 dwarfs living there divided out on approximately 20 clans. [Alfginnar Oakenshield]

Kazad Izril (Fortress of Jewels) - King Aldrik Elfpiercer. The hold was founded by the refugies from Karak Azgal. Like their ancestors they are know for the precious stones they mine beneath their hold and many doubt there are any better miners anywhere in the dwarf realms. [Aldrik Elfpiercer]

Kazad Mingol - Lord Durin Alriksson "The Young". It is a military position belonging to Barak Varr and is mostly used for long range patrols by the holds Gyrocopters. [Durin the Young]

Kazad-Ong-Varr - Kings Gurini Fire Fist and Oni Sea Beard. Population 52 500. Population might still rise due to refugees from world edge mountains. [Tah Kazak Rik]

Khazril - King Duregar Firepants. Founded by a famous hero Skori Goldenhand in 3678 when he united several clans that have been in exile following the destruction of their holds. Now 14 000 dwarfs call it home. [Prince Duregar]

Khaz A Kolvarn - One of the holds that dot the peaks of the Gray mountains. [Resse]

Khaz Stromez Uzkul (Hall at Riverís End) - Hold was founded by Ulrik Starbreaksson and has population of 10 000. [firefighter34]

Stromez Grung-A-Haraz (steam mine of fire) - Ruled by a council of prospectors. Population of under a thousand dwarfs can be found there. [Runebot]

Zhart un Zhuf Valdahaz - Lord Padriac the Scot. For the last 173 years they have been cut of from the rest of the dwarfs. [Paddy]

OTHER

Az Barags Expedition Guild - High Engineer Az Barag. Battle strength 1500-3000 Dwarfs. Current location: just south of Karak Eight Peaks. [Az_Barag]

Clan Boulderbeard - Thane Gamrik. Being one of the resident clans of Barak Varr they are dutied with protection of holds interests in far away lands. [Gamrik Boulderbeard]

Clan Gordum - Once they lived in the deepest hold of Karak Eight Peaks, but once it fell they took refuge in Karak Azul. At the moment they are being led by Kal Gordum.

Clan Makinson - One of Karak Hirn clans dutied to protect the borders. They are led by Umri Makinson. [Rolf Makinson]

Stonehome - It is the dwarf district in Talabheim and its current elder is Moradin Elgorson. [Moradin Elgorson ]

Umgak Unbaraki (Man-made Slayers) - Tongeind Bludbath, a slayer leads this group of expatrioted dwarfs from a myrad of holds. Current location: near Altdorf. [Bossman-]

Edited by Giladis, 26 October 2007 - 01:51 PM.

#2 Bor

Bor

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 11:40 AM

My hold is placed east of Middenheim.

It is called: Ankor a bran boki bin kadrin a bar

The background can be found here.

It has grown to a medium size hold these days. But it is still fairly small. Not more then 8.000 dwarfs live there.

#3 Orcslicer

Orcslicer

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts
Contributor

Posted 27 September 2006 - 12:11 PM

Excellent idea Giladis grin.png

My hold is Kazad-a-Gnoll. It was much larger before the war of vengance, but several millenia of fighting have taken their toll.
It famously held out against a skaven horde many times its number in the days of the Drokki Hirndour, ancestor of the current King Thorgrim Hirndour.
It now holds a population of about 11,000 dwarfs of which the standing army numbers about 4000.
Of course, most of these have not returned from the Storm of Chaos yet...

It's positioned close to the silver road, about 2 days march north from Karaz-a-karak

More Background Can be read in My "Sons Of Grungni" saga or in the older version of it "The Saga of Drokki Hirndour".

[gallery]6974[/gallery]

Edited by Orcslicer, 27 September 2006 - 02:24 PM.

#4 Demon Slayer

Demon Slayer

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 12:17 PM

My dwarfs dont have hold.Leader and some warriors are grey dwarfs.When they were young they went to search a treasure.Many other dwarfs from many other places joined they and took they colors,red and bronze with bright silvere weapons.At this moment they are in Karaz-a-Karak resting and preapering for they next adventure.

#5 Giladis

Giladis

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 01:14 PM

Glad you like it but I have a few question for you guys.

@ Bor - Does the hold have a short form of its name because at the moment it takes the entire Drakwald Forest (If there will be to many long names or to many holds I will change by olny puting numbers by each hold with explanations Beneath). After reading your background it made wonder how come so many dwarfs live there since SoC was spirng-fall IC 2522 and as far as I know the current timeline in only a few months further in time meaning it is roughly 1.1.2523

@ Orcslicer - Very good stories but I am not sure if it eluded me or if it was there. Name of the current king of the hold.

@ Demon Slayer - If I got it right name of your clan is Grey. Could you tell me the name of the clan elder to please.

For all you other that will post.

It is interesting to read your background but I would be extreamly thankful if you would write in up to 3 short sentances about your hold, rather than me going through all the information on my own ( I even might do that if I had more time but unfortunatly I don't). These 3 sentances should include current king/leader of the hold/mine/clan, how big it is ( a number wouldn't be bad) and if there is anything interesting about it.

Edited by Giladis, 27 September 2006 - 01:17 PM.

#6 Orcslicer

Orcslicer

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts
Contributor

Posted 27 September 2006 - 02:20 PM

The Current King is Thorgrim Hirndour, the descendant of Drokki.
(Sorry, forgot to mention that!)

EDIT - I've updated my original post to include it

Edited by Orcslicer, 27 September 2006 - 02:24 PM.

#7 Bor

Bor

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE(Giladis @ Sep 27 2006, 03:14 PM) [snapback]157320[/snapback]

Glad you like it but I have a few question for you guys.

@ Bor - Does the hold have a short form of its name because at the moment it takes the entire Drakwald Forest (If there will be to many long names or to many holds I will change by olny puting numbers by each hold with explanations Beneath). After reading your background it made wonder how come so many dwarfs live there since SoC was spirng-fall IC 2522 and as far as I know the current timeline in only a few months further in time meaning it is roughly 1.1.2523

Oh sorry it is not all dwarfs that live there.
There is a Kislev party there aswell.
Existing of 10 horse archers and a Boyard. whistle.png All with their families ofcourse.

The standing army consists of 126 dwarfs for outside the hold and roughly 100 that guard the hold it self.
So there are about 225 dwarves with their families living in the hold.

Then there are some other younger dwarfs that are send there to learn to live outside the dwarf kingdom.
Also several craftsmen from the empire are living there to make items and learn from the dwarfen masters.

hmm looking at the figures 8.000 might be a bit to much. It should be more around 5.000 in total. Of which 3.500 are dwarfs.

Short name could be Karak Ankor? I do not have my book with so I am not sure.

Edited by Bor, 27 September 2006 - 06:37 PM.

#8 Barafo Steelfounder

Barafo Steelfounder

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 06:09 PM

My hold Is situated east of Karak Kadrin and west of Gnashraks lair, because I dont know how to point it out, like Orcslicer, I'll have to try and guide you too it.

If you go west from Gnashraks lair, you will notice 4 peaks before the road takes its more south easterly approach. My hold is the 4th peak on the SOUTHERN side of peak pass (from how you look at that map)

My Hold is called Grom Karaz
The current Lord is one Barafo Steelfounder, descendant of Hanagrim Steelfounder.
There where roughly around 300 dwarfs in total, including families, but my hold was besieged during the SOC and many of them where lost, although a contingment from Karak Kadrin (Sent by Ungrim Ironfist) has stopped our numbers from faltering.

More can be said about my Hold here:

http://www.bugmansbr...az-vt12448.html

And if you want details about how my hold was besieged, and why Ungrim sent a contingment of dawi warriors there then read the last few pages of my old RP:

http://www.bugmansbr...ed-vt12284.html

(I havn't finished my history you see so this my expalin a few things)

Also on a final note I called my hold Mt. Steelfounder for a long time, before recently re-naming it Grom Karaz.

#9 Alfginnar Oakenshield

Alfginnar Oakenshield

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 06:12 PM

Great that you carry on Bill's idea Giladis - I was on his original map. I've got it somewhere...
EDIT: Oh wait! Here it is:

IPB Image

My hold is Kazad Barangaz (Irongate Fortress), rules by king Arngrim Mountainheart Bryntrommal (the latter means "of the Goldenbeards").
It's short and unfinished fluff can be found here.

As for it's population, it would say that it is probably a medium stronghold with just around 8,000 dwarfs living there divided out on approximately 20 clans.

AO

Edited by Alfginnar Oakenshield, 27 September 2006 - 06:17 PM.

#10 Giladis

Giladis

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 11:25 AM

Updated

#11 starsky

starsky

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 01:21 PM

Karak-A-Thingaz is a hold dependent of karak norn, and is located in the grey mountains borderwith athel loren (thus the name), making this an excellent access to athel loren. the hold was build after the expeditions Grungni Goldfinder and his son, Ketil Grungnison. Karak Norn feared an all out war with both goblinoids and elves so they erected a hold in the banks of the Brionne river, so that the rear of the hold was protected and no elf invasion would pass un-noted to the sentinels...
The Throng of the Grundul is now the guardians of the hold, having aprox. 800 dwarfs. Their lord is a lesser king named Githrim Bravehammer, and [warhammertag56]HE[/warhammertag56] respond to the karak norn's king and to the high king.

#12 Giladis

Giladis

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 01:42 PM

North or South of Karak Norn?

#13 Dourin

Dourin

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
Contributor

Posted 28 September 2006 - 01:45 PM

Karak Wyr

[gallery]7002[/gallery]

Fluff can be found here

Edited by Dourin, 28 September 2006 - 04:27 PM.

#14 Dunrik Ironhammer

Dunrik Ironhammer

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 03:15 PM

Karak Kol (Black Stronghold) the level upon ground are made of pure black stone

http://www.bugmansbr...?g2_itemId=7021

south vest of Karak Eight Peek

Populations: 7500
King: Dunrik Ironhammer

fluff is to come

cheers

Dunrik

#15 Barafo Steelfounder

Barafo Steelfounder

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 03:48 PM

Great to see Grom Karaz is on the map tongue.gif

Although I think the brewery members holds should be in a different colour to that of the map, just to make them stand out a bit.

#16 Gotrek the slayer

Gotrek the slayer

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 04:53 PM

Here's the map location of Karak Karin, the last great dwarf stronghold in the North!

http://i18.photobuck...-KarakKarin.jpg

From their stronghold on the Zontusk, the Dragonkings of Karak Karin have ruled since time immemorial, keeping their endless watch against the hordes of chaos.

It is a large dwarf hold, with close to 40,000 dwarves, however it's army is extraordinarily large for a hold of it's size, numbering 32,500 in times of direst need. This is because, at any one time, 10,000 of the Dwarves in Karak Karin are contributions made to it's garrisson by Southern holds, in recognition of the service they do keeping back the hordes of Chaos. This also epxplains it's large population, which is comparable to all but the greatest dwarf holds.

It is currently ruled by King Grimdal Dragonaxe, the Watcher of the Pass, the Guardian against the Dark and Lord Protector of the North.

I have much more fluff if needs be (a full timeline of Karak Karin from the coming of the ancestor gods to the storm of chaos)

P.S. Anyone has read the Wheel of Time or A Song of Ice and Fire might recognize parrallels with the borderlanders or the night's watch here. I believe every fantasy series needs a bunch of nuts up north in the middle of nowhere, holding back the baddies.

P.P.S. Karak Karin translates as Mountain Shield.

#17 Giladis

Giladis

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 12:10 PM

Map updated. I hope you like this new way of showing our holds. I rearanged the hold descriptions so that they are alphabethical. When the number of holds will be to great to fit the map I will devide the map into squares, remove names and add numbers along with that I will add the designation in which the holds is in its description for easier finding.

Also I am in the proces of geting a better map. The one from [warhammertag131]WD[/warhammertag131] 302 where Underempire is shown but without Skaven tunels and skaven description table. I hope if get my hands on it that [warhammertag132]WE[/warhammertag132] could aslo do the Undgrin as well as holds.

#18 Dourin

Dourin

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
Contributor

Posted 29 September 2006 - 04:11 PM

Indeed, very nice map, good work Giladis.

Great job. thumbsup.png

#19 Thorin_Thoreksson

Thorin_Thoreksson

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 08:02 PM

Yes, this is a very nice map, and also a very fine initiative to record the location of the strongholds of the Brewery members.

Regarding this map from [warhammertag131]WD[/warhammertag131] 302 you were talking about, is the map covering some of the southlands and more of norsca in comparison to your current map? If this is the case it would have been very nice to see the Lost hold of Karak Zorn implemented (the actual location revealed page 186 & 197 in the 7th edition [warhammertag12]BRB[/warhammertag12]). In addition, here is a map from "Tome of Corruption" by Black Industries for [warhammertag134]WFRP[/warhammertag134]: Norsca
Here are the location of four smaller dwarven holds in addition to Kraka Drak revealed, and would be a nice addition for those [warhammertag127]US[/warhammertag127] dwarfs with holds located in the vicinity of Kraka Drak whistle.png .

Currently I am updating and relocating my own dwarfs (and rewriting their fluff), but as soon I am finished I will definitely come back here and record the exact position of my hold. happy.png

Edited by Thorin_Thoreksson, 29 September 2006 - 08:02 PM.

#20 Giladis

Giladis

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 07:31 AM

No I do not think so, but for Norsca and Southlands I have separate maps that I will include if there will be enough interest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users