• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Ghost of War

Ghost of War

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 02:37 PM

So I picked up a GYROCOPTER to paint because the idea of having a helocopter in fantasy makes me laugh. I pull the thing out of the box and see that the rotery blade is in 3 peices. The part that gets me in that the 2 blades have TINY tabs to connect into the hub in the center. The way they are placed makes it pretty much impossible to pin. Which makes me think this thing is going to break and fall apart at every opportunity. How do I keep this thing together? Will a dab of greenstuff be enough? Should I look into the class one for durablity? I am cornfused :/

Advice welcome!

#2 DwarfLore

DwarfLore

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:01 PM

Whomever came up with the gyro design with 3 piece blades needs to be taken outside and given a swift kick in the nads.

I have tried super glue, epoxy, green stuff and nothing works. I finally painstakingly pinned one blade and it holds. As each blad snaps off, and it does, I try to pin. It's the only way.

#3 Ghost of War

Ghost of War

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:05 PM

Argh..

Encouraging!

Maybe I should go with the classic one

#4 Chase

Chase

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts
Contributor

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:05 PM

Yep, there is no other way except pinning those damned rotor blades. And belive me, I tried everything ;-).
Then again, You can get Yourself a 5th edition Gyro grin.png.

#5 bloddyaxe

bloddyaxe

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 06:07 PM

I had no problem at all, I just used super glue and the accelerator http://zap.supergluecorp.com/pt15.html
You put the glue on one end and the accelerator on the other end and basically within 1-2 seconds of contact it creates a concrete hard bond...i dont know how i would assemble metal without it.

#6 Ghost of War

Ghost of War

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 06:12 PM

Looks like a pretty small surface to bond too.. the tabs are tiny.

I was thinking of taking a very small bit of putty and glue and pushing them together.. trimming the excess putty away.. then putting a little on the underside to fuse the bond.

#7 DwarfLore

DwarfLore

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE(bloddyaxe @ Jul 24 2006, 06:07 PM) View Post

I had no problem at all, I just used super glue and the accelerator http://zap.supergluecorp.com/pt15.html
You put the glue on one end and the accelerator on the other end and basically within 1-2 seconds of contact it creates a concrete hard bond...i dont know how i would assemble metal without it.

Tried it happy.png
Holds for a bit, but the end is inevitable.

And be careful with accelerator, which I also tried, It is good for putting metal troups and the like together. But one senior modelor at the shop explained to me that accelerator actually causes a weaker grip than if you hold the pieces together for the few minutes it needs. If the bond needs to be strong, I don't suggest using it.

But putting all those metal bits together for like a lord, etc - zipkicker is awesome.

I'm first in line, anyone else want to get behind me to kick the modeler/designer/"whomever made this decision" in the nads?

#8 Kneecap

Kneecap

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:12 PM

*Finds a set of boots with spikes on it and gets in line*

I finally got it to stay with some epoxy mixture. I also left it removable so I can store it in between foam pieces for safer traveling. It has made it through 50 battles so far.

#9 Ghost of War

Ghost of War

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:01 PM

I am debating taking greenstuff and blending it with glue as I have done with other models.. placing some on the bottem of the blade where it cant be seen so it will have a rock support.

Is this worth it? Or should I scrap it and go for the 5th ed copter.. and chalk this up to a failed purchase? I am a decently advanced painter.. so if I decide to paint it.. its going to look sweet or so help me!... but I would be pretty "I swear too much" if it fell apart all the time.

#10 spinningpond

spinningpond

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:29 PM

heck just make a hole new porpeller blades out of balsa wood . or pin the blades or get a clear piece of plactic and make a circle the size of the propellers to make it look like it moving or flying

#11 bloddyaxe

bloddyaxe

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:44 AM

Well mines holding up fine grin.png just try a little maybe to get the grip while you keep holding it together?

#12 Opie357

Opie357

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 04:29 AM

I ended up using green stuff and it took two nights. Each night I would add green stuff and attach a blade. The blade were not attached to the gyro yet. I would then place it on my table and put index cards under the blades to get the angles that I wanted and to supply supprot for the green stuff to harden. The next night I did it all again. I basically took a week to put the dang thing together with green stuff all over and glue all over. I painted it in three parts: The legs, the body, then the blades. It was a pain in the "I swear too much". however I have dropped the thing and the only thing to break was the plastic joint holding it up from the base. I was "I swear too much" but happy to see my time held the thing together. in the end I have super stong magnets one at the top of the plastic stem and the other drilled into the base of my gyro so I can take it off the base and transport it as I need.

Good luck. In fact putting the dang thing togther is the only thing that keeps me from getting another. It is a shame as they do so well in my games!!

#13 Orcslicer

Orcslicer

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts
Contributor

Posted 25 July 2006 - 07:51 AM

QUOTE(Chase @ Jul 24 2006, 04:05 PM) View Post

Yep, there is no other way except pinning those damned rotor blades. And belive me, I tried everything ;-).
Then again, You can get Yourself a 5th edition Gyro grin.png.

I beg to differ. It took three attempts, a large pin and a ton of green stuff inside. This ensures a good fix, but it also means that the rotor blades have to have a pin in them to attach them to the gyrocopter main body.

1. Drill 2 holes into the centre rotor to pin the blades as per normal, make sure that the pins are quite long, as it'll get a better fix.

2. Hollow out the underside of the rotor point as much as you can, and then fill completley with green stuff.

3. While the green stuff is still drying, impress the central rotor point against the main gyocopter body, as this embosses it with the right shape for pinning it to the main body later, making it more stable.

4. Pin the two rotor blades. I found doing this into the soft greenstuff and then compressing it tighter made a more secure fit than drilling into dried greenstuff.

5. Once this is done, leave the greenstuff to dry. The rotor blades should be firmly attached by now. Pinning the rotor to the body is fairly trivial as long as the pin you use is long enough. I left my rotor blades detachably to make the gyro easier to transport, and also allows for the blades to spin freely which looks cool.

Sorry I can't provide pics, but I'm at work at the moment...
Hope this helps you.

#14 Ghost of War

Ghost of War

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 01:30 PM

Wow,

You guys rock.. Make me proud to be a stuntie!

I think I am going to go rare earth magnets for the rotery attachment, along with a putty/pin/glue concoction based on this thread.

I hope to photograph the army in its entirity come November after I get back from overseas.

I wanna paint up a Daemonslayer for the list too.. as I just love the thought of a super berserker running around. I tend to make a list with the models I like and die alot heh

#15 LF - Kevin B

LF - Kevin B

Azulazi

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,861 posts
Contributor

Posted 25 July 2006 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE(Kneecap @ Jul 24 2006, 08:12 PM) View Post

*Finds a set of boots with spikes on it and gets in line*

I finally got it to stay with some epoxy mixture. I also left it removable so I can store it in between foam pieces for safer traveling. It has made it through 50 battles so far.

can i get i the cue as well, ive been polishing up my "nad extractor" for a few days now.

ive tried it all as well and after about 5 games its back to the glue pot.

when i get round to it im going to convert another one with parts from the old squat attack trike to give the warhammer world its first hells angle and use the 2 lose rotors as the side wings of my bike

#16 Mneon

Mneon

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 06:11 PM

What I always do when metal mini's won't get stikey is to put some paint on the pices that I want to get glued together. With the paint between it, it seems to hold.... well it works for me.

#17 bandnerd1892

bandnerd1892

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 06:25 PM

i don't like the new gyrocopter model at all, it looks to much like a flying boat. i'll just stick w/ my 5th ed ones. i have 4 so there isn't any point in buying another one.

#18 Skull Krusher

Skull Krusher

Skazastoki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 02:08 AM

Ghost of War,

Check out my May 12 posting on the forge and or just hit this link. http://s39.photobuck...amp;media=image

What I did was drill out the center hub. Then I used plastic tubing which I used to make a three sproket hub for the roter. I used plastic card and made my own rotor blades. Trust me these do not fall off or break even at about 200rpm (oh yeah it is battry operated). the other two gyros are not but still all three rotors were made the same.

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users